Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is Ireland so backward?

Options
  • 25-01-2009 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭

You might think the thread is about the health service or child care or the road system but no, it's about something far more important: escalators.

Anywhere you go in Europe there's a system of stand on the right, walk on the left. People don't have to be told, they just do it and in Germany, any ignorant tourists who don't follow this basic rule are simply shoved out of the way until they learn it. They even have the rule on a sign at a lot of escalators. the Swedish are more polite about it but will give you dirty looks and tut until you move.

Take a look at the attached picture taken at a metro station in Stockholm. It's so simple yet so efficient. People who are in a rush can rush away and the slow ****s can dally about all day without getting in my way.

So when will Irish people learn to follow this excellent rule that's understood in the rest of Europe? Or are we doomed to be stuck behind fat women with 10 bags of shopping for the rest of our days?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Why is Ireland so backward?

Inbreeding

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Our escalators are either too narrow or I'm too fat.
    Either way, I'm in the middle regardless.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Lil Kitten wrote: »
    Inbreeding

They're doing it on the escalators now are they?
    dirty feckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Those fat ladies with the ten shoppingbags take up the full width of the escalator anyway, so we can't win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I usually walk down the left, if people are in my way I'll say "excuse me"... cue funny looks from people.
    Apparently you're supposed to say "sorry" :rolleyes: No idea what I'm supposed to be sorry for! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I think the rest of Europe is in too big of a hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I used to think signs were the answer, but yes, a lot of Irish people have no regard for them.
    Local shop has double yellow lines in certain areas but certain people insist on parking there, apparently putting on the flashers absolves them of any wrong.
    Oh feck, i've gone off topic.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I think the old lady walking down the stairs fancies you, she's giving you the eye!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Ruu wrote: »
    I think the rest of Europe is in too big of a hurry.

+1. They are moving stairs ffs. Chill out and let the motor do the work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

galwayrush wrote: »
    I used to think signs were the answer, but yes, a lot of Irish people have no regard for them.
    Local shop has double yellow lines in certain areas but certain people insist on parking there, apparently putting on the flashers absolves them of any wrong.

Yea the auld "I have my hazard lights on, i'm exempt from the rules of the road" bastards, the lot of them...

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I was in Berlin this week and the old "Links gehen, rechts stehen" rule seemed to be out of fashion and it was a general free for all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

galwayrush wrote: »

At least if there is a sign they know they are in the wrong and when their metal isn't absorbing the outside noise their moronic brains may register the message to move their holes.

This annoys me too. We just can't queue or setup systems that bloody work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    You might think the thread is about the health service or child care or the road system but no, it's about something far more important: escalators.

Well you know, you wouldn't be going backwards if you faced the right direction. Just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Why are we so backward: Government, B(w)ankers, etc. > greed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭yerayeah

You could always take the stairs!

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭friendface

javaboy wrote: »
    +1. They are moving stairs ffs. Chill out and let the motor do the work.

Well said. How many seconds do you save by running past people on the escalator? 9/10 seconds.. :) Just to beat them to the lingerie section in Dunnes :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Anywhere you go in Europe there's a system of stand on the right, walk on the left. People don't have to be told, they just do it and in Germany, any ignorant tourists who don't follow this basic rule are simply shoved out of the way until they learn it. They even have the rule on a sign at a lot of escalators. the Swedish are more polite about it but will give you dirty looks and tut until you move.

Take a look at the attached picture taken at a metro station in Stockholm. It's so simple yet so efficient. People who are in a rush can rush away and the slow ****s can dally about all day without getting in my way.

So when will Irish people learn to follow this excellent rule that's understood in the rest of Europe? Or are we doomed to be stuck behind fat women with 10 bags of shopping for the rest of our days?

I don't see the problem myself.
    AFAIK , wherever there is an escalator there are stairs in the same vicinity.
    If I am in a hurry, I take the stairs.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Lil Kitten wrote: »
    Inbreeding

Oh and this was going to be my post :(

I think people underestimate the effects of inbreeding. Just fooking stop it you lot, alright!! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

parsi wrote: »
    I was in Berlin this week and the old "Links gehen, rechts stehen" rule seemed to be out of fashion and it was a general free for all.

Those ignorant Berliners :rolleyes:

When I lived in Walkinstown (thats Dublin by the way) I got abused by an elderly couple when I tried to pass them on an travelator. I said "excuse me" and they lost it, I was in a fair bit of a hurry to get down the escalator as I had just realised I left the keys in my brand new Kawasaki in the car park of the shopping center.

They couldn't understand why someone would actually want to walk down a travelator !! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

friendface wrote: »
    Well said. How many seconds do you save by running past people on the escalator? 9/10 seconds.. :) Just to beat them to the lingerie section in Dunnes :pac:

If you're in an airport you can save several minutes.
    Also if the person you are behind smells foul its nice to get past them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

They should widen the pavements and have four lanes on them - like motorways. Hard-shoulder for window-shopping, fat biddy with the ten bags lane, a lane for normal pedestrians and the fast lane for shop-lifters and store detectives.

I prefer the "running round like chickens with their heads cut off" mentality though. It's more entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I don't see the problem myself.
    AFAIK , wherever there is an escalator there are stairs in the same vicinity.
    If I am in a hurry, I take the stairs.:pac:

sometimes but not always and walking on the stairs is slower and takes more effort than walking on the escalator. people should just get the **** out of my way!!!!!

It's no skin off their nose to move to the side, they're just oblivious to the people they're delaying

jester77 wrote: »
    I think the old lady walking down the stairs fancies you, she's giving you the eye!

no comment :o

ejmaztec wrote: »
    They should widen the pavements and have four lanes on them - like motorways. Hard-shoulder for window-shopping, fat biddy with the ten bags lane, a lane for normal pedestrians and the fast lane for shop-lifters and store detectives.

I prefer the "running round like chickens with their heads cut off" mentality though. It's more entertaining.

that's a similar thing, people who saunter down the street four abreast, taking up the whole path. I should be allowed to shoot them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

They don't know how to queue in Europe or hadn't you noticed that?

friendface wrote: »

i'm in stockholm and my line is very far down. i have to go on 5 escalators and a very long travelator (flat escalator) to get out. if people didn't follow the rule i'd be delayed several minutes getting to work every morning

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Galvasean wrote: »
    Also if the person you are behind smells foul its nice to get past them.

We need escalators in the smellier parts of the country .;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

another thing might be that escalators here are mostly going from one floor to another. ground to 1st, 1st to 2nd etc. in europe some of the escalators are travelling the equivalent of about 5 or 6 floors to underground subways etc.
    whats the big hurry anyway, have a coke and a smile and chill the fuck out

professore wrote: »
    They don't know how to queue in Europe or hadn't you noticed that?

haven't noticed that myself. where was that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

sometimes but not always and walking on the stairs is slower and takes more effort than walking on the escalator.
    Sorry , I meant me.
    I take the stairs two at a time if I'm in a hurry.
    I know that's not possible for everyone.
    people should just get the **** out of my way!!!!!

Just throw them over the side.:D

/ not.

Advertisement