Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is Ireland so backward?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

longshanks wrote: »
    another thing might be that escalators here are mostly going from one floor to another. ground to 1st, 1st to 2nd etc. in europe some of the escalators are travelling the equivalent of about 5 or 6 floors to underground subways etc.
    whats the big hurry anyway, have a coke and a smile and chill the fuck out

the escalator at my stop is easily 100 metres long. if there's a train leaving in 1 minute when i arrive, that rule is the difference between missing the train and getting it

you can argue that it's not that important but there's no reason not to do it. you mightn't think there's any need to walk on an escalator but lots of people do so just stand to the side and let them no?

Sorry , I meant me.
    I take the stairs two at a time if I'm in a hurry.
    I know that's not possible for everyone.
    so take the escalator two at a time.....?
    Just throw them over the side.:D
    i can picture it now "Sharpshooter said i could your honour" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

clearly it should be stand on the left pass on the right in Ireland, thats how we drive :pac:

zuroph wrote: »
    clearly it should be stand on the left pass on the right in Ireland, thats how we drive :pac:

that'd be grand. any side is fine as long as you pick a side

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Suppost to drive.;)

• Advertisement

galwayrush wrote: »
    Suppost to drive.;)
    *supposed to drive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Theres no point standing at the side of an escalator in Ireland.We only use them inside shops and there very small in comparison. Whereas in european cities there are mainly used in metro stations and with the size of them it would be necessary to stay on the right to leave people pass to catch their train. Were hardly going to be rushing up them to get a few clothes are we!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

*supposed to drive

*Supposed to drive.

Yeah... see how you like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

i usually keep it the left

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Because a lot of Irish people are ignorant and too self centered to realise that other people might be in a hurry. Just because THEY have nowhere to be, means the rest of us don't either. It's one thing that annoys me about this country. Go anywhere in the world and people stand to one side of the escalator/travelator. Come back to Dublin airport and be stuck behind people standing 3 abreast on the travelator staring into space, and acting like you're rude for trying to get past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

They'll all soon be switched off, those escalators, once Stephen escalates.

Stairs only from then on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Yeah that can be annoying alright when people insist on standing side by side

And there isn't stairs everywhere there's an escalator

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I stand in the centre of the escalator because I'm terrified of my clothes getting caught in the side and pulling me down...

phasers wrote: »
    I stand in the centre of the escalator because I'm terrified of my clothes getting caught in the side and pulling me down...

I'm sorry but getting there a few seconds faster is more important to me than your life. Get to the side baggy pants--->

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    I'm sorry but getting there a few seconds faster is more important to me than your life. Get to the side baggy pants--->

Why don't you just leave earlier ffs?

Why don't you just leave earlier ffs?
    why don't you just not stand in people's way? ;)

why don't you just not stand in people's way? ;)

Because I'm ****ing massive.

*Bites out of chocolate bar*

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Baggy pants are required for the job I do, are you discriminating against my people?

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Hard Larry

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/44959/71156.jpg

That guy on the right coming down the stairs with the hat on?

Isn't that the posh guy who was in Glenroe?

phasers wrote: »
    Baggy pants are required for the job I do, are you discriminating against my people?

:(

clowns are creepy so yes, yes i am. now that i know that i want you to move to the side all the more
    Hard Larry wrote: »
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/44959/71156.jpg

That guy on the right coming down the stairs with the hat on?

Isn't that the posh guy who was in Glenroe?
    i don't know what he would be doing in T-Centralen in Stockholm but maybe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

You might think the thread is about the health service or child care or the road system but no, it's about something far more important: escalators.

Anywhere you go in Europe there's a system of stand on the right, walk on the left. People don't have to be told, they just do it and in Germany, any ignorant tourists who don't follow this basic rule are simply shoved out of the way until they learn it. They even have the rule on a sign at a lot of escalators. the Swedish are more polite about it but will give you dirty looks and tut until you move.

Take a look at the attached picture taken at a metro station in Stockholm. It's so simple yet so efficient. People who are in a rush can rush away and the slow ****s can dally about all day without getting in my way.

So when will Irish people learn to follow this excellent rule that's understood in the rest of Europe? Or are we doomed to be stuck behind fat women with 10 bags of shopping for the rest of our days?

fu*k me.... WTF are you talking about... everyone of those "sheep" in that photo looks miserable... and why?, because they have to many rules and regulations governing their lives, :mad: stand on the right.. walk on the left,

And I will tell you what is ignorant, some @rsehole pushing you out of the way.

Ireland isn't backward... the Irish don't like this horse sh!t of being told what to do in such a regimented way...Ireland is a relaxed country, If you don't like the Irish way of life... go and live in one of those countries you mentioned and follow the rest of the sheep......

CamperMan wrote: »
    fu*k me.... WTF are you talking about... everyone of those "sheep" in that photo looks miserable... and why?, because they have to many rules and regulations governing their lives, :mad: stand on the right.. walk on the left,

And I will tell you what is ignorant, some @rsehole pushing you out of the way.

Ireland isn't backward... the Irish don't like this horse sh!t of being told what to do in such a regimented way...Ireland is a relaxed country, If you don't like the Irish way of life... go and live in one of those countries you mentioned and follow the rest of the sheep......

right so. let me know when you're leaving you're house from now on so myself and my swarm of spanish students can walk in front of you at 0.5 miles an hour wherever you go

edit: i think they may have loked miserable because some weird guy was taking a picture of them and it gets dark about half 3 here and it's fcukin freeeezing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Well France for a start : http://www.francesalut.com/2007/09/manners-from-he.html

And the Germans: http://www.toytowngermany.com/lofi/index.php/t1533.html

And Belgium, my Belgian wife was amazed at the orderly queuing at the bus stops in Dublin. In Belgium its a shapeless crowd. You would never see a queue at a nightclub entrance for example.

So we could rename this thread to "why is Europe so backward"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

Hard Larry wrote: »
    EDIT: where did the Yore Ma post go? Wierd

Not too sure - now I have a deep sense of foreboding:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

For me there's more to this than just escalators. Examples:
    Why do women in supermarkets group together with trolleys and double width baby buggies to chat and completely block off an aisle to stop me from buying the one thing I went in there to get? Why do women with the trolleys keep on running into me when I weigh in at fourteen stones and six feet two, and am not entirely invisible? Why are little guys always in the way and trying without result to reach something well above their heads when the effort is doomed to failure? Why is the check out queue I join always delayed by someone who insists on opening a purse when told the bill, and then spends the next five minutes searching for the last one cent coin? Why is my check in queue at Cork airport always held up for ages by someone who seems to want to hold a debate with the clerk or who doesn't have the right ticket/ID that is a widely advertised requirement? Why is it that the airport security lane I get directed to is always the one that has the person before me completely unprepared for what is required of him/her, thereby holding up the lane for several minutes while he/she discusses the matter with the security guard?

It isn't an Irish thing. It's people.:D

ART6 wrote: »
    Why is my check in queue at Cork airport always held up for ages by someone who seems to want to hold a debate with the clerk or who doesn't have the right ticket/ID that is a widely advertised requirement? Why is it that the airport security lane I get directed to is always the one that has the person before me completely unprepared for what is required of him/her, thereby holding up the lane for several minutes while he/she discusses the matter with the security guard?

yes and what's the deal with airline food?

Dont you hate pants?!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

To answer the thread title question, it's because of our Guilt Complex.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Some foreign moving stairs have sensors so they turn off when not in use.
    Might be an idea here.

or maybe a turbo button for those in a hurry

• Advertisement

Some foreign moving stairs have sensors so they turn off when not in use.
    Might be an idea here.

or maybe a turbo button for those in a hurry

Yes they do, fantastic idea. Also i reserved a seat on a train and the ticket said area D which i didn't understand until i noticed signs with letters all down the platform. The ticket was telling me exactly where to stand so i wouldn't have to drag my bag through the whole train. Genius!

Advertisement