Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is Ireland so backward?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i was also on a train on the way from germany to denmark where the train drove down to the dock and onto a ferry them drove off again when we reached denmark. I was gobsmacked

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

i hear the trains leave on time there too xxxxxxx

zuroph wrote: »
    i hear the trains leave on time there too xxxxxxx
    To the second generally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    i was also on a train on the way from germany to denmark where the train drove down to the dock and onto a ferry them drove off again when we reached denmark. I was gobsmacked
    People told you in advance that was going to happen ! How was it such a surprise? These people telling you are known to always tell the truth at all times and not wind people up telling them they got off the train in the wrong city or whatever.

As for escalators ... do what Obama does. Send an advance team in 2 weeks in advance and clear the whole area. Straight run through to the subway then.

Random wrote: »
    People told you in advance that was going to happen ! How was it such a surprise? These people telling you are known to always tell the truth at all times and not wind people up telling them they got off the train in the wrong city or whatever.
    Oh yeah how silly of me :rolleyes:
    Random wrote: »
    As for escalators ... do what Obama does. Send an advance team in 2 weeks in advance and clear the whole area. Straight run through to the subway then.
    sounds like a plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

...They even have the rule on a sign at a lot of escalators.

So when will Irish people learn to follow this excellent rule that's understood in the rest of Europe?

Thats a retarded argument in fairness, people can't follow a rule which does not exist in their country. Not to mention the fact that the practice of standing to one side is a direct result of the use of escalators in Metro/Subway stations, I first encountered it on the London Underground.

I find that people here do step aside if someone is walking up the escalator assuming there is space. A point you fail to note is that having a single line of people requires that the escalator move faster because you are effectively halving the capacity. This high speed escalator is common on metro systems and in Airports, but they are hardly suited to a relaxed days at a shopping centre with Kids on tow. In this environment it is common for people to stand side by side and converse, hardly a criminal offense!

So perhaps you should save your whining until we have our own Metro, (whenever the hell thats going to be given the cutbacks underway)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

To answer the thread title question: Its Ireland. Since when do we do "normal?"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

A point you fail to note is that having a single line of people requires that the escalator move faster because you are effectively halving the capacity.

That's usually not the case actually. Often an escalator will be almost empty but two people will be standing side by side effectively holding up anyone behind them in a rush. Even in a busy shopping centre, forcing everyone to go single file would not have a great impact on capacity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Some foreign moving stairs have sensors so they turn off when not in use.
    Might be an idea here.

or maybe a turbo button for those in a hurry

They have them here too, but not everywhere, some of the newer buildings have them. Is it that hard to stand on the right and let people pass? If your in a hurry you are in a hurry and you can seldom help that fact.. :(

Thats a retarded argument in fairness, people can't follow a rule which does not exist in their country. Not to mention the fact that the practice of standing to one side is a direct result of the use of escalators in Metro/Subway stations, I first encountered it on the London Underground.
    i saw the sign once in a metro station in germany. the rule is followed all over europe. the sign is for tourists who don't know the rule. so it's not a rail regulation, it's a cultural thing, which brings me back to the question of why don't we do it here?
    I find that people here do step aside if someone is walking up the escalator assuming there is space. A point you fail to note is that having a single line of people requires that the escalator move faster because you are effectively halving the capacity. This high speed escalator is common on metro systems and in Airports, but they are hardly suited to a relaxed days at a shopping centre with Kids on tow. In this environment it is common for people to stand side by side and converse, hardly a criminal offense!
    So perhaps you should save your whining until we have our own Metro, (whenever the hell thats going to be given the cutbacks underway)

it's done on all escalators here regardless of speed in and out of the metro system. and if people want to stand around and chat on the escalator, surely they won't mind if it takes an extra few seconds because they're not being rude by standing in everyone's way?

and i never said it was a criminal offence, it's very rare for rudeness to be illegal but that doesn't mean it's ok

• Advertisement

javaboy wrote: »
    That's usually not the case actually. Often an escalator will be almost empty but two people will be standing side by side effectively holding up anyone behind them in a rush. Even in a busy shopping centre, forcing everyone to go single file would not have a great impact on capacity.

this is true. it's very rare for escalators to be running at that capacity for any length of time

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I wish i had escalators up to the doors of my house, mother in law won't use them.:rolleyes:

They have them here too, but not everywhere, some of the newer buildings have them. Is it that hard to stand on the right and let people pass? If your in a hurry you are in a hurry and you can seldom help that fact.. :(

now you mention it i remember that at oktoberfest. there were dozens of people on the escalator all standing behind two people having a chat. i wanted to strangle them

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Anywhere you go in Europe there's a system of stand on the right, walk on the left. People don't have to be told, they just do it and in Germany, any ignorant tourists who don't follow this basic rule are simply shoved out of the way until they learn it. They even have the rule on a sign at a lot of escalators. the Swedish are more polite about it but will give you dirty looks and tut until you move.

Guess what we don't do that here and no we are not backward you might be but the rest of us aren't. If you want to walk up the stairs go and walk/run up the stairs.

"Ignorant Tourist" I won't be visiting Germany again.

Elmo wrote: »
    Guess what we don't do that here and no we are not backward you might be but the rest of us aren't. If you want to walk up the stairs go and walk/run up the stairs.

"Ignorant Tourist" I won't be visiting Germany again.

don't take it personally mate. and you'll have to cross the whole of europe off your list so

also, i can't walk/run up the stairs cos ****s are in my way. that's the whole problem!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

now you mention it i remember that at oktoberfest. there were dozens of people on the escalator all standing behind two people having a chat. i wanted to strangle them

I was at the shop the other day, a few people stopped at the door to talk or something, I said loudly, "why the fcuk would people stand at a door to talk, MORONS" they moved :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Escalators aren't as important here, as they are elsewhere.

For example with the Underground and such in London, escaltors are essential and the system of people leaving room for others to run up if they are in a hurry is in force there. It does save time.

I was at the shop the other day, a few people stopped at the door to talk or something, I said loudly, "why the fcuk would people stand at a door to talk, MORONS" they moved :)

Yes but this is totally different you could have said politely "excuse me but you are in the way of other customers". They would have moved.

Yes but this is totally different

whether they're blocking my passage on an escalator or blocking my passage in a doorway they're still blocking my passage and should have more sense than to do so tbh

don't take it personally mate. and you'll have to cross the whole of europe off your list so

also, i can't walk/run up the stairs cos ****s are in my way. that's the whole problem!

I generally don't stand on stairs that don't move, doesn't get me anywhere :) . Thats why we have lifts and escalators so that we can relax. most shopping centres have both stairs and escalators. If you are in a rush and have to leap up the escalator then you can leap up the stairs.

TBH when I was in German I found them to be polite and I never had any problems about standing on escalators.

• Advertisement

I generally don't stand on stairs that don't move, doesn't get me anywhere :) . Thats why we have lifts and escalators so that we can relax. most shopping centres have both stairs and escalators. If you are in a rush and have to leap up the escalator then you can leap up the stairs.
    what about the many many cases where there are no stairs or the stairs are far away and the reason you want to run up them is because you're already in a rush?
    TBH when I was in German I found them to be polite and I never had any problems about standing on escalators.
    but did you ever block anyone's passage who was clearly trying to get past you?

really you don't actually have to stand on the right the whole time as long as you move out of the way of anyone trying to get past

what about the many many cases where there are no stairs or the stairs are far away and the reason you want to run up them is because you're already in a rush?

but did you ever block anyone's passage who was clearly trying to get past you?

No but then if generally I get out of the way if someone is walking up the escalator in a rush.

Tara st. Dart station has both an escalator and stairs yet people seem to want to run up the escalator, why? its going to take you just as long to run up the stairs. And in Tara st. people tend to stand on one side or move out of the way when they hear someone moving up the escalator.

If I do walk up the escalator I will excuse people politely out of my away, and guess what most people are polite enough to get out of the way.

Now if someone told me that I was a Moran I would actually not move out of the way on purpose.

In shopping centres people aren't generally in a rush and are relaxing their day away.

No but then if generally I get out of the way if someone is walking up the escalator in a rush.
    well then you're not one of the people i'm complaining about :)
    i'm complaining about the people with 50 people behind them who refuse to move or act as if you're the rude one for asking them to move
    Tara st. Dart station has both an escalator and stairs yet people seem to want to run up the escalator, why? its going to take you just as long to run up the stairs.
    emmmm......no it's not :confused: you run at a certain speed. if you're on an escalator you run at that speed plus the speed of the escalator. if what you're saying was true, then standing on normal stairs would somehow bring you to the top

And in Tara st. people tend to stand on one side or move out of the way when they here someone moving up the escalator.
    good for them :pac:

If I do walk up the escalator I will excuse people politely out of my away, and guess what most people are polite enough to get out of the way.

Now if someone told me that I was a Moran I would actually not move out of the way on purpose.

you're right there. there's no need to be rude about it. the point of the thread is you shouldn't have to ask people to move. it should be an automatic thing. they should know it's rude to stand in people's way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Because our political party system is still based on a civil war fought over 90 years ago.

deadhead13 wrote: »
    Because our political party system is still based on a civil war fought over 90 years ago.

i blame the lisbon treaty

emmmm......no it's not you run at a certain speed. if you're on an escalator you run at that speed plus the speed of the escalator. if what you're saying was true, then standing on normal stairs would somehow bring you to the top

Nah its a moot point TBH. I amn't wasting my time with that. With my explanation! It wasn't very good anyway.

I don't see the point in escalators if you are going to walk up them, it seems to me to be a waste of energy to have escalators if everyone walks up them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

deadhead13 wrote: »

I slag one of my friends constantly about this & it drives her mad. She is a vehement republican. she hates the english, whenever she went around to a college friend's house they always gave her PG Tips teabags, didn't tell her for months. She was very unimpressed when she found out.

I tell her that Ireland is split down the middle with everything and it drives her mad, for example Independent vs Times, or Lyons vs Barrys.

Nah its a moot point TBH. I amn't wasting my time with that. With my explanation! It wasn't very good anyway.

I don't see the point in escalators if you are going to walk up them, it seems to me to be a waste of energy to have escalators if everyone walks up them.

the point of escalators is to save energy. whether i stand on them or walk i save energy because if i walk, i have to take far fewer steps than if the steps weren't moving......no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

I presume because traditionally there were more stairs than escalators in Ireland and we never learned the 'stand to the side' etiquette.

If people would learn to be a bit more mannerly and less ignorant wouldn't it be better for all of us.
    The amount of people that wouldn't dream of saying excuse me in this country, as if you should have some telepathic knowledge of their intentions:rolleyes:

But I agree, I take care not to stand in other peoples way, why they cant stand in outta the way is beyond me.

Cant stand people who plough through you without so much as excuse me - I find a good dig in the ribs is the best response to such rudeness.

Advertisement