Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

galwaytt wrote: »
    40mpg?? That's better than my diesel !!

Sshhh...you'll never sell yours saying things like that! But ya...40mpg has to be a bit on the optimistic side...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

kazul wrote: »
    It is possible that the wishbones may have to be replaced depending on which bushings are worn but even if that is the case it's not a huge/expensive job.
    That's what happened to me - had to get a new wishbone because of worn bushings, had to get the rear shock mounts replaced as well as rear axle bushings and probably something else too - think it ended up being about €500 but there was a service in there somewhere as well so I forget what I paid for what exactly. This was a Fiesta though, not a Saab 900 so I dunno really (do they even have MacPherson struts, or something fancier?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭opeldave

galwaytt wrote: »
    40mpg?? That's better than my diesel !!

Yes honestly:cool:
    Must be a 4x4 you have?or a truck?:p
    most diesel cars eat 40 mpg for their breakfast :D

EPM wrote: »
    Sshhh...you'll never sell yours saying things like that! But ya...40mpg has to be a bit on the optimistic side...

Once its warmed up & driven at a relistic pace.
    I often get it up to 6.0 Litre/100km (47mpg)
    Of course its all dependant on your driving style.
    But it goes to show when I started driving 10yrs ago I woulnt have cared about MPG-I just would have wanted to see if it would still do 140MPH:rolleyes:

CianRyan wrote: »
    He got to that.

Indeed Cian thanks you must be one of the few people who actually read all my Ad description :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Plain, but nice, lack of current gen electronics a ++

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C73684

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Plain, but nice, lack of current gen electronics

Plain? It's spartan! I bet if you turn the radio on it'll be non-stop Spandau Ballet *shudder*

Give me an '89 Merc any day :D

ah I had one the same colour & spec!
    Didnt like traffic jams one little bit:p
    Had a factory setup the rear parcel shelf where you could plug in headphones & listen to the stereo without forcing anyone else to listen to your Spandau Ballet:cool:

Confab wrote: »
    Plain, but nice, lack of current gen electronics[/QUOTE

Plain? It's spartan! I bet if you turn the radio on it'll be non-stop Spandau Ballet *shudder*

Give me an '89 Merc any day :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Tax would be a killer on that. I suppose you could drive it until the cops sieze it! 6 months and the car owes ye nothing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Very nice, they tyres alone must have cost him at least €600. Almost worth buying her to break it up...

Not a banger by any means, but these things are getting cheaper by the day:

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mercedes-Benz/S-Class/320-3.2-/200840190264853/advert

• Registered Users Posts: 22,082 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ Does not qualify - but nice!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

That Saab could be the winner here, get any pics of your own one OpelDave??

I'd love to take a punt on it if I had the cash handy, always been a fan of that shape Saab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭kazul

Was lookin' at this but the power output from that 2.3 is terrible :(

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mercedes-Benz/230/saloon/200905191629621/advert#

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Volvoboy wrote: »
    But 350 lids??

I like it. Straight to the point, "It's a bit rough" LOl!

If only we got a group to do a Top Gear challenge:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Once i learn to drive, i would so be up for a "TopGear callange" :p

That merc is savage looking.
    I have a thing for yellow cars... >.<

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

That Merc is a real beauty, such low milage for a car of that age. I would seriously consider buying it...if it wasn't yellow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

€350 on uk plates
    looks v clean

http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/48/34794648.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

"4 speed" in a '93 Golf? Is it an auto?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

"4 speed" in a '93 Golf? Is it an auto?

Probably, but there's no info in the ad anyway.

(Am beginning to realise that Bangernomics is the way to go for a first car.)

Golf is a "Ryder" spec too according to cartell... I've always had a thing againts Mk3's, lol...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Saab/9000/2.0-CSE-/200848191010865/advert
    For €500?
    If i wasn't so young and unexperienced...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭SAABMAN

CianRyan wrote: »
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Saab/9000/2.0-CSE-/200848191010865/advert
    For €500?
    If i wasn't so young and unexperienced...
    Ok, now stop it!:eek: She will be mine, oh yes, she will be mine :D. Had a look at her last week, if it is still there I think I'll make an offer.
    I did Bangernomics for years, never paid more than 1K for a car and never had any trouble. Then I bought a couple of newer types and had nothing but trouble. Gone back to bangers. Current drive cost €600 2.5 years ago.
    I used to tell my mates that when cars get to that age, everything that breaks has been replaced so that it's like getting a new car :eek:

Tax would be a killer on that. I suppose you could drive it until the cops sieze it! 6 months and the car owes ye nothing!

What the... The car is now sold, but look at the price, €9000?! Perhaps he dropped it to €900 and it was a typo? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 modm3

Looking for a banger estate or small van - not as easy to find as I thought ! Best so far was Mitsubishi Spacewagon, 2 yrs NCT, slipping clutch - €300. A Citreon C15 has popped up and I might get that over the weekend - will post photo's of what I get.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

http://cars.motornet.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1339188

Its awful but for 950 like what do you want....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement