Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

S.I.R wrote: »

But why is there a smoke box in the engine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

€350 wing-wangs, T&T'D T/b & water pump just done, couldnt of come at a better time as my taxi has just sprang a leak in the rad so i wont be working for a few days.

Needs a few scrathes to be done on the bumpers might do it on sat

DSC00415.jpg

DSC00416.jpg

DSC00417.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,568 ✭✭✭maidhc

Volvoboy wrote: »
    €350 wing-wangs, T&T'D T/b & water pump just done, couldnt of come at a better time as my taxi has just sprang a leak in the rad so i wont be working for a few days.

Ah now. This is like going home at the end of the night with the most desperate bird in the pub and boasting about it the next morning.

fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Barr

How did you find such a bargain if you dont me asking ? what milage is up on it

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

I think that's my neighbour's car. So, at least it won't be blocking my drive anymore.

I wonder what will?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Do you have OCD when it comes to buying cars!? :D

Barr wrote: »

How did you find such a bargain if you dont me asking ? what milage is up on it

215K Kilometers, dropping off a fare one night seen it parked outside a house that had a 09 Avensis in it, so i left my number on the window saying i was interested in it. Two days later it was mine.
    maidhc wrote: »
    Ah now. This is like going home at the end of the night with the most desperate bird in the pub and boasting about it the next morning.

fail.

Few scratches on a 15 year old car, FFS:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Barr

Just spotted its a diesel as well - she has to be worth at least 4 times what you paid for it . Good days work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Okay so its slightly over budget but im sure it can be bought for less

http://cars.motornet.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1312122

[URL="javascript: wz_swapImage('bigPic','','http://images.carzone.ie/images/CB4_1312122_2_1168140.jpg',1);"]tnCB4_1312122_2_1168140.jpg[/URL]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,184 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Great find, volvoboy. Taxed, tested, serviced, nothing needed and all that for a couple of hundred euro. Bangernomics at its best!
    maidhc wrote: »

Desperate, dirty, smelly, ugly and even fat maybe. But cheap. And that's what this thread is all about innit? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

mike65 wrote: »

That would be a fantastic car for the money. I can vouch personally for them. They have great comfort, a fantastic stereo, a gorgeous warbly 5 pot engine, and also the handling ain't that bad either. We've had one in the family for going on 8 years now and will never let it go.

I sorted out the bumpers today and even spashed out on a set of new plates.

DSC00432.jpg

DSC00433.jpg

DSC00434.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

I remember there used to be loads of them going around as taxi's towards the late 90's. They seem to have all vanished by now though.

VolvoMan wrote: »
    I remember there used to be loads of them going around as taxi's towards the late 90's. They seem to have all vanished by now though.

Yea thats right, this one was imported in '98 so the majority would of been used as them. Still a few floating about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

For the times that are in it how bout a car and a house for under a grand...

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/875271.htm

[URL="javascript:void(0)"]875271-1t.jpg[/URL]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭opeldave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

opeldave wrote: »
    Am I missing something obvious here ?

That looks like great value to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

BnA wrote: »

I dunno, it's only "10% reliable"!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

BnA wrote: »

Needs "some suspension bushes for NCT", which could be a good few hundred depending on which and how many need to be replaced (dunno how complicated or hard it is to work on that car). Nothing unusual for a car of that age, it just may cost another €500 to sort it out properly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭kazul

A "good few hundred" :confused: for bushings? Do you know what bushings are?
    You could probably DIY the suspensions on all 4 corners of any relatively standard car for a "good few hundred".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Not if the bushings require the control arms to be replaced too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭kazul

Big IF though. Bushings are only rubber or polyeurothane "buffers" between metal suspension components. Control arms generally refer to track control arms whereas the most likely bushings to wear out are anti-roll bar bushings, different part altogether.
    It is possible that the wishbones may have to be replaced depending on which bushings are worn but even if that is the case it's not a huge/expensive job.
    I'm almost tempted to take on the challenge of buying and nct'ing that yoke and turning a profit on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

The more i look at it the more i like it, wonder what the mileage is, average would dictate 168,000 miles...

Wait, is that a northern plate?

EDIT, just saw mileage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Are there any bangernomics small engine (<1.4L) autos knocking about?

The Saab is mine if anyone is interested.
    Its 100% reliable bloody typo attack lol.
    Would be open to offers Im driving it everyday it dont feel as if its lost any of its considerable power (full pressure turbo model):p.

Its on irish plates;)
    My car is blue thats just a tempoary pic til I get decent pics:p
    The more i look at it the more i like it, wonder what the mileage is, average would dictate 168,000 miles...

Wait, is that a northern plate?

EDIT, just saw mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,184 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The Saab is mine

In the pic it seems to have British plates, but you say it has a valid NCT? Maybe you imported it and took the pictures before you registered it here?

Anyway, €500 sure is a bargain for that car, it looks great!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,762 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

40mpg?? That's better than my diesel !!

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

unkel wrote: »
    In the pic it seems to have British plates, but you say it has a valid NCT? Maybe you imported it and took the pictures before you registered it here?

Anyway, €500 sure is a bargain for that car, it looks great!

He got to that.
    Its on irish plates;)
    My car is blue thats just a tempoary pic til I get decent pics:p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement