Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that i'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

RoverJames wrote: »
    chuckle chuckle....

article-2132227-12AC374D000005DC-497_634x411.jpg

"this seems an bit off an con too me as 39 killometres seems an little bit excessive for delivery mileage and how can it be considered new when its parts are so old. i cant see how this would be road worthy and any one considering buying it needs too think about that - Sue Previsor, Doncaster, 20/4/2012 9:39 +++++++++ First of all, that's 22 miles and that includes the mileage within the factory driving it from the production line to the test area, transporter and into the show room. A car can knock up 10 miles being moved around before it even gets to the showroom. 22 miles is less than one return trip to work and back in most normal peoples' world. Second, you clearly have no idea what "road worthy" means.Honestly. Every time you post a comment on an internet forum all you do is broadcast to the world how thick you are. I wonder why do you bother. We already know."
    - Original Ray, Liverpool, 20/4/2012 09:49

Oh Ray !!!
    Ray is embarassing himself here, as the odometer shoes 92 miles, and the tripmeter shows 39 (miles also). I presume this has been pointed out to him in a later comment on that page - I didn't check.

Not your ornery onager

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Here's a quirk in the rules. Because it has less than 6k up on the clock, the revenue will consider it a new car and charge VRT accordingly.
    Did you mean to say that VAT will be applied?

Not your ornery onager

Capri wrote: »
    ORIGINAL IRISH reg, AND whitewalls :rolleyes:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/3266025
    Presume that's Rory who used to be in Glasnevin Industrial Estate? He must have the biggest M-B graveyard in the country.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Blue850 wrote: »
    Full-11216628.jpeg

He's also breaking this W115, unusual late reg, Mercedes stopped making them in 76

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_W114

Came across an 00 reg W210 one day but it looked identical to my 97 W210, checked chassis no with MB dealer. This 97 had been lying unsold in Ireland, was moved to UK and sold eventually in 2000 with 2000 UK reg, then it came back to IRL as an import but got 00 reg here. Always check the chassis no !

Esel wrote: »
    Presume that's Rory who used to be in Glasnevin Industrial Estate? He must have the biggest M-B graveyard in the country.

Out in Ashbourne now ? Went out one time but Alsatian and East European dog put me off going in :mad:

• Advertisement

Just checking a Merc 280E 81 on the Revenue website - OMSP (OpenMarketSellingPrice )
    Breakdown of VRT Calculation
    Open Market Selling Price (OMSP) determined by Revenue
    €56830 :eek:
    Monthly adjustment
    N/A
    Depreciation code allocated by Revenue
    F2
    Odometer reading
    110000 Miles

and
    Vehicle Details
    Statistical Code
    Model
    Make
    MERCEDES-BENZ
    Version
    E W124 24V :D04DR A

It's no wonder there's no tax being collected !!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Here's a quirk in the rules. Because it has less than 6k up on the clock, the revenue will consider it a new car and charge VRT accordingly. That thing could cost thousands to bring in here.

Just did the exercise. VRT is only €4,619 .....yup you've read that right.

There is another quirk. It is not registered, and our rules require it to be 30 years since first registration. The UK use manufacture date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Its near enough worth the asking in scrap value. Gotta be worth a punt to someone .....

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/3272691

View2-11251131.jpeg

There is another quirk. It is not registered, and our rules require it to be 30 years since first registration. The UK use manufacture date.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/3269730 ;);)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭B1gft

hi5 wrote: »

Chasing Classic cars last week the guy had one of these for sale, not convertible and an earlier modal. I know he was disappointed at the price he got at auction, but I think it was around 35k. That would make this price look good?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭B1gft

Its near enough worth the asking in scrap value. Gotta be worth a punt to someone .....

View2-11251131.jpeg

I would have loved that. Did Morris make those pick ups, or were they conversions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

^^ They did make pickups, but thats not one.
    Thats chopped down from a Traveller I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭MrFoxman360

View2-11251131.jpeg

It sold more or less instantly, priced too low, but someone got a bargain, or so it would seem from the pics, lets hope its going to a good home, not for squishing:eek:

hi5 wrote: »
    ^^ They did make pickups, but thats not one.
    Thats chopped down from a Traveller I'd say.

Chopped Traveller and pukey respray = don't touch:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

As a rare as rocking horse sh!t ......

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/3276225

View2-11268695.jpeg

Im not sure but I think this is worth even more on the mainland :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

About 10 yrs ago a similar situation arose with an unregistered Irish car,
    The conversation went somthing like this.
    VRT inspector "what's the mileage ?".
    Car owner "85mls"
    VRT man "85.000mls."
    Car owner" 85mls".
    VRT man "85.000mls"
    Car owner "no it's 85mls".
    VRT man "You're not listening to me, 85.000mls".
    Car owner "Oh I get you, 85.000mls."
    VRT man "That'll be €50 please

aujopimur wrote: »
    About 10 yrs ago a similar situation arose with an unregistered Irish car,
    The conversation went somthing like this.
    VRT inspector "what's the mileage ?".
    Car owner "85mls"
    VRT man "85.000mls."
    Car owner" 85mls".
    VRT man "85.000mls"
    Car owner "no it's 85mls".
    VRT man "You're not listening to me, 85.000mls".
    Car owner "Oh I get you, 85.000mls."
    VRT man "That'll be €50 please

Sounds like a decent VRT man , one of a dying breed

• Registered Users Posts: 23 PulpitNeil

Chopped Traveller and pukey respray = don't touch:mad:

+1

The wood on a Traveller is structural. Any chopped one is going to be seriously weakened. Hope it was bought as a donor car!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

RoverJames wrote: »
    First of all, that's 22 miles and that includes the mileage within the factory driving it from the production line to the test area, transporter and into the show room. A car can knock up 10 miles being moved around before it even gets to the showroom. 22 miles is less than one return trip to work and back in most normal peoples' world.

Actually. That's not even delivery milage. The car wasn't driven at all. It has been "rolled" the distance. As the article says, the car was delivered without ever have had fluids in it.

Haha. I used to live just around the corner from that place (in Pleasanton). I'd be over every 2nd weekend or so to wander around the showroom. It's always filled with stunning machinery.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

bbsrs wrote: »
    and it says (of pic)
    Very similar to example photo above just need a restoration.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

Esel wrote: »
    and it says (of pic)
    Very similar to example photo above just need a restoration.

And they are worth up to £10000 so he asks €4000 which you can spend 8k on to restore . Well if that's a good idea maybe buying one for 10 k now and saving yourself endless headaches and searching for parts is a much better idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

..." just needs a restoration " .....lol, under-statement of the week/year/millenium.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

View2-11268695.jpeg

....holy crap Batman, I used to fix those, 20 years ago !! "Rare" is not the word. "Sh!t", though, may be the perfect one ! ! :D

Major engine fubar's, those have: from memory, one belt drives everything, and when it goes, she blows !! The mod is a change to introduce a 2nd belt and duplex pullies, to drive the auxiliaries, and leave the other belt to do the motor only.

And, it only runs 'ok'. Mmmmm......it's a big flat 4, you know, and parts don't grow on trees for them. Super squishy big old-fashioned Italian Job though !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

View2-11268695.jpeg

There was a very clean looking one of these on DD in Kildare a while back looking for about 3k from memory. Looked immaculate and more importantly original.
    I did some research on them before and it seems full lock could induce a cam belt snap !

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...from memory, one belt drives everything, and when it goes, she blows !!
    RobAMerc wrote: »
    I did some research on them before and it seems full lock could induce a cam belt snap !

Scary car.:eek:

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

any sensible offers would be considered.above 1000 euro
    Not bad:

Full-10316724.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/3078797

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

That ad is actually annoying me. Any car, especially ones in need of restoration needs a picture.
    And no need to tell us what a mint one costs in england.
    "Serious enquires only". This guy is serious, so he doesn't put the milage, the year or a picture, or elaborate at all on restoration :rolleyes:
    Might make nusance calls to him the ad is so bad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement