Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin clubbing group

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 iGotAquestion

just saw this thread now.. sounds like a great idea!... i would be well up for it, especially when im back up in dublin for college as lots of my mates dont like the whole clubbing scene!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭StillRickyVilla

No worries man, maybe the Dublin Clubbing Group should exist then!

We all want the same thing - its amazing how much interest there is!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

I've never heard of Len Faki :confused: as i said if everyone can agree on a night then that would be good.

Ok, Disssco -I am convinced there should be an organised Dublin Clubbing Group to channel all the obvious interest!! This is your baby, perhaps a monthly meeting starting next month? (objective of the meeting to arrange next month's night out to suit all!).

Zascar's random nights 'as & when' are good aswell but we equally need a channel for people like BlueButterBean (I have no idea whether its just for fellas) or Jonny68 (i hadn't heard of Len Faki either) to come along, suss it out and choose a great night to go on.

I am completely new to Dublin so I will have to refer to Disssco/Zascar and others to firm the details & organisation, but to get started all we need is a suitable pub/cafe, time&date for early next month,

Cheers

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I think its a good idea to meet for a coffee/pint or whatever to see who's who and discuss potential gigs that would suit all - also, there would be a fairly wide age variance from what I gather from the younger members to the older members, like me :pac: - so in that respect it could be good for folks to sit and chat for a bit and see if the group can gel sufficiently before hitting the clubs...

The other aspect that may come of it is that if its a bigger group different people might chose to go to different gigs so it could possibly splinter off somewhat - for example, I would have zero interest in going to an electro-house type event, or anything of the hard house, current trance type buzz.

• Advertisement

Juan Atkins is playing in the POD on the 31st - that should be a good one, given that he is one of the founders of techno...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055610113

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Juan Atkins is playing in the POD on the 31st - that should be a good one, given that he is one of the founders of techno...

That would be perfect! However I think I have a stag that weekend so might not be able to make it, let me check....

Yeah I'm not 100% either as to whether I can do that night but I'll certainly try, would be well worth it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Just came across this now, is it all just for fellas?:confused:
    Of course not, the more wimmins the better :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

jonny68 wrote: »
    I've never heard of Len Faki :confused:

haha wtf?

Wasn't it you who hadn't heard of Berghain either?

• Advertisement

Ben Klock actually on the 19th of September...

Right, thinking about this over the weekend, here's my two cent:

Trying to get everone out to one gig is going to be near impossible, everyone has very different tastes and scheduales clash etc. The Dublin Clubbing group already proposed could be good and if someone wants to try to kick it off, we'll do out best to support you. But, I'd like to see people getting together from here on a very regular ongoing basis, to actually meet up and go to gigs.

The main reason I thought this would be a good idea, is that if I see a gig advertised that I would like to do go, but I know I won't be going cause I do not know anyone who would come with me - chances are there are going to be other people on this forum with the same problem! So, let just start doing it, and get out there and go to gigs, meet new people and see what happens.

So, in the Clubbing section the local promoters let us know what is going to be on - so if you are thinking of going, just throw a post in the thread (or start your own if there is none) and see who else is willing to meet up. Some may get zero interest but I'm sure others will be heading already with mates etc - its all pretty casual and easy going - just head out and have a laugh and see what happens.

What I will do, is have a chat with some of the promoters who are regulars here and see if we can sort out some sort of special deal whereby the group gets on the guestlist or a concession etc. I'm sure they would be willing to help out as this is going to help promote their gigs too and get more people in the door. Suggestions on a postcard please.

So, what do you think?

Zascar, thanks for that. I think your right in what you say, & I think it can work the way you suggest. Just needs everyone or even someone to maintain the 'energy' on this forum & i'm sure it'll get people out, cheers mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭FLYNN-DOG

jtsuited wrote: »
    haha wtf?

Wasn't it you who hadn't heard of Berghain either?

Or Marcel Dettman for that matter......

Anyway, I'm game for this, once I'm back. Would be a bit apprehensive meeting up with strangers...hope none of you are fritzl types...!

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭FLYNN-DOG

jonny68 wrote: »
    Would also be up for it myself but with so much "division" :confused: in dance music thesedays how would be get a nite to cater for everyone, im very diverse when it comes to dance music there are only a small few genres im not into ill give anything a try once.:)

Johnny seeing as your in to old school techno would the like of Juan Atkins, Kevin Saunderson, Carl Craig, Jeff Mills still appeal to you? I reckon that stuff has a broad appeal.....old schoolers + techno heads + even electrhouse heads would like it. I don't care what the hardstyle/trance heads are in to anyway - wouldn't want to meet up with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Good ideas, I have a different angle, I'm in Dublin on sat 8 August, and would love to go dancing. Anything happening around then?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Lucyx

Thats good thinking Zascar.

Sander Kleinenberg is playing in Tripod on Sunday Aug 2nd and I'd say that would be excellent. Jay D had mentioned this to me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭/\ NIGHTFLIGHT

Glad you enjoyed Len Faki.

If your going to nightflight in the button factory again, i can make sure you get in cheap.

If your into house and techno, id recommend

Friday August 7th: Sunil Sharpe, Giles Armstrong & Saorise Ryan

Yep, everyone should take a look and see what gigs they want to go to, and post a message and see who else is up for it. I sometimes take a look at the ticketmaster clubbing section: http://www.ticketmaster.ie/browse?category=201&tm_link=tm_music_b_201&root=10001&dma= - however I'm guessing some of the smaller events will not be on there.

Not that into Sander Klienenberg much myself. I saw him in Tripod about 2 years ago - It was good but not great. Mainly I just hate tripod as a venue.

Anyway we should all get posting with gigs we do want to go to and see what response we'll get. I'd be well on for Juan Atkins but not sure if I can make it, I have a Stag the next day. Matthew Dear (Audion) in twisted pepper on 02/08 - or Ben Klock on 19/09 would definitely be great.

Cheers NightFlight - Sunil Sharpe is brilliant (Although his set at Life was way too hardcore for me really). With Giles Armstrong as you say it would be more house/techno so definitely another great contender. Cheers I'll be in touch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭BlueButterBean

Anyone into that jazzy funky house, havnt got a clue whats the proper name but its great!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Clank

Lucyx wrote: »
    Thats good thinking Zascar.

Sander Kleinenberg is playing in Tripod on Sunday Aug 2nd and I'd say that would be excellent. Jay D had mentioned this to me :)

Altern8 play Andrews Lane too that night, thats where ill probably be.

Id be well up for this too, I go to a few nights anyway but the more the merrier I say.

FLYNN-DOG wrote: »
    Johnny seeing as your in to old school techno would the like of Juan Atkins, Kevin Saunderson, Carl Craig, Jeff Mills still appeal to you? I reckon that stuff has a broad appeal.....old schoolers + techno heads + even electrhouse heads would like it. I don't care what the hardstyle/trance heads are in to anyway - wouldn't want to meet up with them!

they most certainly would mate,im a big fan of all the aftermentioned ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭sirspamalot

There is a well-established group dealing with all types of Dance Music in Ireland

It is on Yahoogroups and is called IE-Dance.

Enjoy!

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭disssco

I'd be well up for going to altern8. they're savage and the weekend had begun to take its toll on me when they played at life so I'd like another shot at them. I know of one or possibly two old school ravers who would be up for it as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

disssco wrote: »
    I'd be well up for going to altern8. they're savage and the weekend had begun to take its toll on me when they played at life so I'd like another shot at them. I know of one or possibly two old school ravers who would be up for it as well.

I'd pop along to this as well Dan, ain't been in Ireland and out proper in Dublin in yonks and i'm itchin'

I'm probably going to have work the morning after but I'll commit to it now because I've done nowt but work and watch films for ages. I'll get through work somehow :)

ive seen Altern-8 about 10 times in the last 2 yearls and although they always are brilliant ive seen enough for them for now.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I'm probably going to have work the morning after but I'll commit to it now because I've done nowt but work and watch films for ages. I'll get through work somehow :)

Just stay off the booze ;)

:).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Good to see this thread back up and running, id be interested in any nights out. Can I suggest everyone heading to the Kitchen Sync Night in Kennedys. As most of you are aware its a small radio station attached to boards.ie

Its on the 29th August in Kennedys it would be great if we could get a load along from boards!

Advertisement