Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow potential this week.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,702 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

ah the beauty of being a 1,000 foot above sea level:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Chances of Snow in the North East (Louth Area)? Haven't seen so much as a flake so far :(

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

The micro climate is fascinating. I can see down into the valley to the south (east of mountcollins) and snow covers all the way down.

I managed to get essential supplies from town about 11:30 and took the west facing route down the hill. Roads terrible until you have descended about 300ft, then small amount of snow.

However, looking to the hills facing you (west of Abbeyfeale, east facing hill) there is no snow at all on it, not a flake.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

With regard to this evening.

My thoughts:

Snow prospects much better than last night IMO.

The main front will push into the west around 5pm this evening brining heavy sleet with snow above 150m. Dewpoints will rise in the west to around 1/2c.
    Overall it will be a wet mix of rain/sleet/snow in western coastal areas.

Inland the front should reach Athlone by 7pm, here dewpoints will be better around 0c, the front should fall as snow/wet snow to all levels here with accumulations of perhaps 3 inches in places.

In the east the front will arrive around 9pm here dewpoints again will be more favourable between -1c - +1c. The precipitation however will be less extensive here but falls of wet snow are likely even in coastal districts with dry snow areas with any elevation (100m+). Accumulations of 3 inches possible.

A hard frost tonight will form after the front clears with more small celled showers moving into the west.

Tuesday will turn much colder again and another frontal system will approach from the northwest towards mid morning and quickly spread southeastwards reaching Dublin around midday with further falls of snow likely.

An interesting 48 hours to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

Now falling a rain here in Limerick. BOOOOOOOOOO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Not looking so good all these reports of rain.
    Must be the uppers are wrong as maxes today were a lot lower than I though they would be
    Good to see you thinking main band hasn't arrived yet Matty

Ya I am gutted to be honest that its sleet/rain. I thought it would be snow. Maybe tonight

dedon wrote: »
    Ya I am gutted to be honest that its sleet/rain. I thought it would be snow. Maybe tonight

Unfortunately temps are just the wrong side of marginal in Limerick with temps of 4c and crucially dewpoints of 2c.

You need this dewpoint to reach 0.5c or lower for snowfall.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,471 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Well, there was plenty of snow here today with large snowfalls at 11AM and then at 1:30PM. Nothing after that so far, and no rain either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Unfortunately temps are just the wrong side of marginal in Limerick with temps of 4c and crucially dewpoints of 2c.

You need this dewpoint to reach 0.5c or lower for snowfall.

Where can you keep track of this? Limerick specifically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

With regard to this evening.

My thoughts:

Snow prospects much better than last night IMO.

The main front will push into the west around 5pm this evening brining heavy sleet with snow above 150m. Dewpoints will rise in the west to around 1/2c.
    Overall it will be a wet mix of rain/sleet/snow in western coastal areas.

Inland the front should reach Athlone by 7pm, here dewpoints will be better around 0c, the front should fall as snow/wet snow to all levels here with accumulations of perhaps 3 inches in places.

In the east the front will arrive around 9pm here dewpoints again will be more favourable between -1c - +1c. The precipitation however will be less extensive here but falls of wet snow are likely even in coastal districts with dry snow areas with any elevation (100m+). Accumulations of 3 inches possible.

A hard frost tonight will form after the front clears with more small celled showers moving into the west.

Tuesday will turn much colder again and another frontal system will approach from the northwest towards mid morning and quickly spread southeastwards reaching Dublin around midday with further falls of snow likely.

An interesting 48 hours to say the least.

per met eireann the main front is already here in the west..starting off as rain here in north cork. is this a big front of showers? maybe its too early yet for snow though it was snowing here this morning.

per met eireann the main front is already here in the west..starting off as rain here in north cork. is this a big front of showers? maybe its too early yet for snow though it was snowing here this morning.

No its not the main front. The front is just off the west coast now and should make its presence felt in the next hour along the west coast. It will likely be hail/sleet/rain in western coasts and in the southwest at first though.

at the risk of giving Supercell a big head;), if you look back over this thread he predicted today's weather bang on. if he continues to be right, which i hope he is, he did say the showers will start to turn to sleet and snow during the night

No its not the main front. The front is just off the west coast now and should make its presence felt in the next hour along the west coast. It will likely be hail/sleet/rain in western coasts and in the southwest at first though.

so snow is unlikely in western coast/southwestern areas due to dewpoints being too high and the precipitation will be gone by the time they are low enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Got the first snow showers here (north Galway) this morning after 7am, after that there was a bit lying and a few good showers up until midday, then it all cleared and we got a few hail and sleet showers, now it's just rain. It's pouring rain here now at the moment
    The showers have been fairly regular around every half an hour I'd say, some lovely heavy snow in the morning.

Raining in Cork too
    I just hope it will get better later on as temp drop

Raining in Cork too
    I just hope it will get better later on as temp drop

i bet most of the precipitation will be gone by then from inland aeras, though. still the showers should keep going for most of the night in the very west and northwest.

Wet snow now so perhaps things could improve in an hour or so

the latest from met eireann is:
    Hail, sleet and snow showers in many areas this evening and tonight, with a continuing risk of thunder. Showers will become mainly confined to the west and north as the night progresses. Breezy and very cold, with lowest overnight temperatures of minus 2 to plus 2 degrees. Patches of frost, ice and lying snow.

so perhaps all is not lost yet.

• Advertisement

Going to chuck it down with something in the west in the coming hours.

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Heavy snow in a strong wind here.

Snowing now in Cork city proper
    Would imagine it could stick on hills:D

Snowing now in Cork city proper
    Would imagine it could stick on hills:D

how is it snowing in cork city and not in north cork!! temperatures are always a degree or two higher in there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭homosapien

can confirm its snowing on north side of cork city now as well..for last 10 minutes or so..pretty wet snow but looks good looking out the window!

edit snow beginning to stick on the grass outside too..after a wet start..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,471 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Heavy snow here at the moment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭homosapien

hammering it down "sneachta" here now again after petering out for a little while...can see a clearance already to the SW so expect things to quieten down again soon

its coming and going but just not consistantly heavy for a decent covering to form..

So there is hope yet. The current band of showers seem to have died a bit here but had just started falling as snow again 15 mins ago

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

looks like galway and the midlands may see the heaviest of it. just dull and sleety here at the moment. just petered out as i talk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement