Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow potential this week.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭321654

About a half inch of snow west, just past Swords there about half hour ago.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

You are the experts...tell me something about Cork...I'd really love to see snowing in Ireland...

Who here ever claimed to be an expert?

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭McConkey

Sleet in Galway still :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Just driven home from Kildare. Got to Glasnevin and there was a layer of snow on the cars and grass. Slight covering of slush on the road here. 0.8.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I missed seeing falling snow :(

But there is a coating of snow on the cars and grass here and it isn't melting now and the car has frozen over!

Here's to more overnight!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭Tirabaralla

Damo9090 wrote: »
    Who here ever claimed to be an expert?
    More expert than me, I'd say, if u prefere...didn't mean to be offensive...jaysus :D
    If someone can answer my question I'll be glad ^_^

• Registered Users Posts: 16,691 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

More expert than me, I'd say, if u prefere...didn't mean to be offensive...jaysus :D
    If someone can answer my question I'll be glad ^_^

you most likely will see snow, if any at all, on monday night into tuesday when snow is promised to be widespread across the country. monday and tuesday is also when it will be at its coldest during this cold period so really any showers down there should be of sleet or snow rather than rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

heavy snow here in meath

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Ah the beauty of looking out to see a frozen over snowy car thats NOT thawing!

Send that snow from Meath please!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭Tirabaralla

you most likely will see snow, if any at all, on monday night into tuesday when snow is promised to be widespread across the country. monday and tuesday is also when it will be at its coldest during this cold period so really any showers down there should be of sleet or snow rather than rain.
    Thanx...I'll wait for monday night! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,388 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Here's my latest thoughts on snow and weather in general next three days:

Scattered outbreaks of thundery snow mixed with hail or sleet across many parts of Ireland tonight, heaviest across north-central parts, starting to mix more with rain showers through the morning tomorrow but then as winds back to south tomorrow evening, a period of heavy rain and more strong winds (40-70 mph this time), temps rising again to 6 or 7 C late Sunday night, then ending up with a sharp temperature fall and another round of heavy snow, hail and sleet showers on a strong westerly wind arriving Monday late morning to mid-afternoon west to east. This will perhaps leave 1-3 inches in some areas by Tuesday morning, when some heavier snow showers may develop at times, lasting most of the day. Some places could then see 2-4 inches accumulation. Throughout, higher slopes that are west-facing would be favoured, but sometimes these heavy showers can move on for some distance beyond where they form, so if you have that kind of terrain to your west you might also do well. South coast always at a disadvantage but I think almost everyone will see at least some falling snow if not lying snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

Well I'm happy to say that there has been plenty of snow showers here since 8 o clock:D some were quite heavy, there's a nice covering on the grass and cars, still some light snow falling atm and looking at the radar there maybe more to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭tony1212

culd u give me a link to a good rader site

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭highdef

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

it's pegging snow and i mean proper stuff.not even wet stuff here in east laois.prob the wrong thread but im excited and don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Cornilius

What an amazing night it has been we did realy well with reguards snowfall here in Kilcock!It was pegging it down from 8 til 10 place covered nearly 2 inches!was in maynooth 2nite and i dont understnd why it always in all situations doesnt produce any snow worth reporting why doesnt it snow even half as much as Kilcock is not exactly high ground and only 3miles away i thought it was just unlucky but its always seems to happen!

Just had a snow shower a few moments ago. clear, cold and white outside now

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

hasnt really snowed much here since 10pm, I think the majority of the showers ar fragmenting fast once they make it past the midlands.

danni2 wrote: »
    Just had a snow shower a few moments ago. clear, cold and white outside now

is it sticking there? there has been plenty of snow showers over the last three - fours hours here but none of it is sticking.

is it sticking there? there has been plenty of snow showers over the last three - fours hours here but none of it is sticking.
    Yes it is nacho, on roads and tarmac is just slushy stuff but on grass and cars is all white, It's clear now and nothing is melting, so did nothing stick there not even on grass?

• Advertisement

danni2 wrote: »
    Yes it is nacho, on roads and tarmac is just slushy stuff but on grass and cars is all white, It's clear now and nothing is melting, so did nothing stick there not even on grass?

there was about a inch on the grass out of the first couple of showers but there after the snow just stopped sticking. the car and grass are still white but most of the snow on the tarmac has melted. i guess these famous dew points are too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Hmmm, east Co.Galway has just had sleet tonight, not much else.

Hoping it snows while I'm in bed....just home from work.

there was about a inch on the grass out of the first couple of showers but there after the snow just stopped sticking. the car and grass are still white but most of the snow on the tarmac has melted. i guess these famous dew points are too high.
    Well hopefully the ground can freeze overnight, there's still some good looking showers to the west and when it moves inland it should certainly stick to frozen surfaces.

Starting to snow again:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Kilkenny City outskirts

Went to bed around 11am last night. Had a quick check and it was only light rain. Woke up this morning to a light covering of snow, but this is quickly disappearing as the sun gets higher. :(

Temperature: 1.4 °C
    Dew Point: 1.1 °C

showers of rain since i got up this morning. still some snow on the grass however. the temperature is 4.6 c.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Didnt snow last night here at all after 10pm, its been melting slowly through the night and now about half an inch left, starting to melt quicker now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Lady_North

20090118_128.jpg

Super photo. Thanks for sharing it:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Fab Photo - Thanks. V. Jealous tho, just slushy sleet in Galway:(

Advertisement