Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C&H sex discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Condoms are cheap enough already, the problem in this case was certainly drunkenness or especially ego issues, maybe from both the female and the male side of the party.

I dont think theyre cheap enough, or at the very least they shouldnt be taxed as a luxury item!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Could also have something to do with the tax revenue :p anyways there are free condoms, you just have to know where to look :cool:
    True.....I just need a reason to look :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

:confused: surely the problem is that she had unprotected sex (just guessing based on Aisling's condom comment, accidents do happen after all) and then somehow didn't notice that she hadn't had a period in half a year?

yeah i know....like shes due the month after her junior cert.its unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

I lost it at 17, horrible horrible night...

ugh I shouldn't of reminded myself of it, needless to say she dumped me a week and a half later. Scared me away from the idea of sex for months and months.. With my current girlfriend for almost a year now and thankfully we have gotten past the phase of doing it as often as rabbits. She has restored my ego and all is well :)

I have to say though, as much as people preach that sex is the most overrated thing in the world, you do have those almost mythical experiences where everything went beyond expectation..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

From the bottom of the page...

Seriously, what?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

obl wrote: »
    From the bottom of the page...

Seriously, what?!

Im guessing its what women think about during the hibbidy dibbidy

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I dunno, crane hire during sex just might give you the lift you need! :pac:

Condoms are anything but cheap. How can pubs justify charging 4euros (always, always only accept single euro coins) for 2 condoms? Boots are a bit better, with the mix-and-match deal. You can now get 2 packs of 24 (I think) for 15€.

Though something I always found quite funny is how pregnancy tests are a lot cheaper than condoms ..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Condoms are anything but cheap. How can pubs justify charging 4euros (always, always only accept single euro coins) for 2 condoms? Boots are a bit better, with the mix-and-match deal. You can now get 2 packs of 24 (I think) for 15€.

Though something I always found quite funny is how pregnancy tests are a lot cheaper than condoms ..

Some pregnancy tests are. I was in Tesco recently buying one for my friend and the Tesco one was 11 euro for 2 and the Clear Blue one was nearly 40 euro for 1 I think.

Anyway, condoms are expensive enough but cheap online and free in colleges and from family planning clinics. Have they gotten cheaper in recent years?

janeybabe wrote: »
    Some pregnancy tests are. I was in Tesco recently buying one for my friend and the Tesco one was 11 euro for 2 and the Clear Blue one was nearly 40 euro for 1 I think.

Anyway, condoms are expensive enough but cheap online and free in colleges and from family planning clinics. Have they gotten cheaper in recent years?

Some of them have. Boots have certainly got a lot cheaper. Don't know about independent pharmacies, but I tend to avoid those. They're always filled with middle-aged women behind the counter who are silently tutting and tsking you while you make your purchase.

Colleges do give them for free. I wouldn't feel right purchasing them online because I wouldn't be sure of their condition. Course, the same could be said for purchasing them in a shop.

• Advertisement

Some of them have. Boots have certainly got a lot cheaper. Don't know about independent pharmacies, but I tend to avoid those. They're always filled with middle-aged women behind the counter who are silently tutting and tsking you while you make your purchase.

Colleges do give them for free. I wouldn't feel right purchasing them online because I wouldn't be sure of their condition. Course, the same could be said for purchasing them in a shop.

I love the middle-aged women who tut! :D Makes it fun.

I can understand not trusting the ones online, although there are some very safe sites out there.

I love the middle-aged women who tut! :D Makes it fun.

I can understand not trusting the ones online, although there are some very safe sites out there.

Those middle-aged women are the sole reason it took me so long to work up the courage to buy condoms that very first time. Now .. I guess I don't really care. But I still feel more comfortable buying them from Boots; they always tend to have a better selection (I find it's really good to try different types out), are less judgemental, and have the better prices. Now if only they moved them that bit closer the counter.

Those middle-aged women are the sole reason it took me so long to work up the courage to buy condoms that very first time. Now .. I guess I don't really care. But I still feel more comfortable buying them from Boots; they always tend to have a better selection (I find it's really good to try different types out), are less judgemental, and have the better prices. Now if only they moved them that bit closer the counter.

I hate that sex and condoms make people nervous about buying condoms. A guy I was with for 4 years never once bought them because he was embarrassed. The way I see it is it's just sex. Most people have sex and most of them (I hope) use some sort of contraception. If so many people are doing it then why are so many people embarrassed by it?

I hate that sex and condoms make people nervous about buying condoms. A guy I was with for 4 years never once bought them because he was embarrassed. The way I see it is it's just sex. Most people have sex and most of them (I hope) use some sort of contraception. If so many people are doing it then why are so many people embarrassed by it?

Because there's a taboo associated with it in this country. I don't know why. It's probably Catholic guilt or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Are you also a sex ed teacher? If not, why not! :D :pac:

Because there's a taboo associated with it in this country. I don't know why. It's probably Catholic guilt or something.

Totally agree. I wonder if Ireland will be like that in 40 or 50 years? (I also wonder if old people clothes will be no longer needed in 40 or 50 years because we will be cool old people. :D)
    Are you also a sex ed teacher? If not, why not! :D :pac:

Unfortunately no. The SPHE handouts are great fun.

I mean when you really think about it, Sex Ed is a relatively new concept in this country. Before this, we were always taught that Sex Is Bad and that We Should Not Be Having Sex. So when we are purchasing the condoms, it is an admittance of guilt, even though this should not be the case. If anything it should be a thing of pride. Yes! I'm buying condoms! Yes! I'm going to get laid!

But no, we're ashamed.

That's what I always said to my ex. He got so embarrassed and I told him that even if the person behind the counter cared that he was buying condoms, they'd probably just be thinking 'that guy is getting some'. It's not a big deal.

The younger kids get embarrassed by sex ed but I hope in years to come they can have a healthy attitude to sex. Stupid Catholic guilt.

That's what I always said to my ex. He got so embarrassed and I told him that even if the person behind the counter cared that he was buying condoms, they'd probably just be thinking 'that guy is getting some'. It's not a big deal.

The younger kids get embarrassed by sex ed but I hope in years to come they can have a healthy attitude to sex. Stupid Catholic guilt.

Because for younger kids sex is embarrassing. Then for teens sex is everything. It's only when you reach adulthood that you actually start to enjoy it.

Because for younger kids sex is embarrassing. Then for teens sex is everything. It's only when you reach adulthood that you actually start to enjoy it.

Teens, even younger ones (14 onwards), seem to have no problem talking about sex in public amongst their friends. I'd imagine those at 14 have a lack of real understanding, but the older ones may see it as some way of gaining a higher social status, of being cool. For some adults, sex is still everything! :D But for the most part I think we're getting more mature about it! We have a way to go though. Eventually the Catholic guilt that started with our great great (etc) grandparents will dissolve, but hopefully not to the detriment of society.

• Advertisement

Teens, even younger ones (14 onwards), seem to have no problem talking about sex in public amongst their friends. I'd imagine those at 14 have a lack of real understanding, but the older ones may see it as some way of gaining a higher social status, of being cool. For some adults, sex is still everything! :D But for the most part I think we're getting more mature about it! We have a way to go though. Eventually the Catholic guilt that started with our great great (etc) grandparents will dissolve, but hopefully not to the detriment of society.

But if you sat down these 14 year olds and had a proper discussion about it, how many of them will be willing to? I went through that stage where sex was everything. It got me in a lot of trouble too. But I've grown up and now starting to see the other parts of it - that feeling of connection, of being synchronised with another person. The warmth during and after. Hearing and feeling the person's heart beating fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

going to a catholic all girls school attached to a convent, we've had little to no sex education, we asked out religion teacher to do STI's and STD's and whatnot with us this year, with the gory details seeing as we are 6th years, we spent about a class or two doing it and then for some reason ended up just learning about human reproduction. With a week and a half left of classes in secondary school ever, it's also very doubtful that we'll be getting any.

Last time i got some "proper" sex education was in 6th class, when somebody asked what masturbation was the answer we got was "it's a very selfish and dirty thing, you should never do it." We had some in SPHE for junior cert, but it all seemed to be mainly about pregnancy and the likes

But if you sat down these 14 year olds and had a proper discussion about it, how many of them will be willing to? I went through that stage where sex was everything. It got me in a lot of trouble too. But I've grown up and now starting to see the other parts of it - that feeling of connection, of being synchronised with another person. The warmth during and after. Hearing and feeling the person's heart beating fast.

You'd be surprised. 12 and 13 year olds would not talk about it, but the vast majority of the 14 year olds I teach don't seem to have any hang-ups about it. It's scary really.

My hang-ups left me pretty quickly, by the time I was 16 or 17. I had no problem discussing sex, although I may not have experienced it yet. I was lucky in that sense. I know that it is not the norm. Getting that balance can be difficult. As a horny 18 year old it is everything. It can be purely about the physical act rather than the connection, the emotions.

kateos2 wrote: »
    going to a catholic all girls school attached to a convent, we've had little to no sex education, we asked out religion teacher to do STI's and STD's and whatnot with us this year, with the gory details seeing as we are 6th years, we spent about a class or two doing it and then for some reason ended up just learning about human reproduction. With a week and a half left of classes in secondary school ever, it's also very doubtful that we'll be getting any.

Last time i got some "proper" sex education was in 6th class, when somebody asked what masturbation was the answer we got was "it's a very selfish and dirty thing, you should never do it." We had some in SPHE for junior cert, but it all seemed to be mainly about pregnancy and the likes

Thats the problem with Sex Ed in this country. They're only ever willing to talk about the after-effects and the worst-case scenarios. They are never willing to talk about what to do to ensure there are no after-effects or worst-case scenarios.

Hell, my very first time having sex I had no idea how to put the condom on. Luckily enough, the girl kinda realised this and put it on for me. The shame I felt after this made me learn how to do it. Now I can put them on with my eyes closed.

Thats the problem with Sex Ed in this country. They're only ever willing to talk about the after-effects and the worst-case scenarios. They are never willing to talk about what to do to ensure there are no after-effects or worst-case scenarios.

Hell, my very first time having sex I had no idea how to put the condom on. Luckily enough, the girl kinda realised this and put it on for me. The shame I felt after this made me learn how to do it. Now I can put them on with my eyes closed.

yeah it's ridiculous, like we wanted to learn about it all this year, but nothing.
    I was at my doctors a while ago and she was saying she actually went to my school last year and usually she'd prefer teachers aren't in the room but with our school they insisted.
    basically she went into detail in everything, and they obviously they thought she was too detailed, because she wasn't asked back for our year this year.

yeah it's ridiculous, like we wanted to learn about it all this year, but nothing.
    I was at my doctors a while ago and she was saying she actually went to my school last year and usually she'd prefer teachers aren't in the room but with our school they insisted.
    basically she went into detail in everything, and they obviously they thought she was too detailed, because she wasn't asked back for our year this year.

This is something that amuses me. What sort of things would the doctor have talked about? I'm presuming it would be from a medical point of view and not say.. positions and whatnot.

This is something that amuses me. What sort of things would the doctor have talked about? I'm presuming it would be from a medical point of view and not say.. positions and whatnot.

hah she didn't really say too much to me, but i remember her saying that she brought her "fake willies and all" with her to demonstrate...

hah she didn't really say too much to me, but i remember her saying that she brought her "fake willies and all" with her to demonstrate...

.. oh the mental images.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

going to a catholic all girls school attached to a convent, we've had little to no sex education, we asked out religion teacher to do STI's and STD's and whatnot with us this year, with the gory details seeing as we are 6th years, we spent about a class or two doing it and then for some reason ended up just learning about human reproduction.

My class did the same thing when I was in 5th or 6th year and we ended up just learning reproduction again. and we were attached to a convent too! :)
    Last time i got some "proper" sex education was in 6th class, when somebody asked what masturbation was the answer we got was "it's a very selfish and dirty thing, you should never do it."
    That's just messed up...

Or you just don't get any at all. Everything I know about sex and contraception and what to do if the worst happens is all self-taught. If I'd relied on school or parents (both swimming in catholic guilt) to teach me any of this I'd probably be pregnant by now.

I wish I'd had a teacher who'd come in and actually just been straightforward with us. That sex is perfectly natural and this is what you need to do to keep safe and these are the options available to you if you get pregnant and these are the stis you can get.

Silly silly catholic ireland....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Last time i got some "proper" sex education was in 6th class, when somebody asked what masturbation was the answer we got was "it's a very selfish and dirty thing, you should never do it."
    Now that's just advice that should not be listened to! :o :pac:

Advertisement