Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bankruptcy Sale Local hotel - legit? Faulty goods

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭xxlilyxx

There's one on this sunday in the carlton hotel, i cant believe they actually get away wit this, as soon as my ma seen the flyer she said thats a scam. I would love to go along to see if people actually are falling for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 clarissa

I went to the Hilton Hotel in Kilmainham last Sunday to one of these sales, it was an absolute joke, they let to many people in, On the leaflet that I received there is no mention that it is an auction, I noticed 1 or 2 people stirring things up . I wonder are these placed by Ringley to cause this sort of diversion. I left after 10 Minutes and approached one of the staff about the leaflet, they just nodded in agreement. Something has to be done about them, false advertising. Also I beleive the fire officer arrived and wanted to shut it down as there were to many people let in. They are making money on all our 2 euro entrance fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 time will tell

xxlilyxx wrote: »
    There's one on this sunday in the carlton hotel, i cant believe they actually get away wit this, as soon as my ma seen the flyer she said thats a scam. I would love to go along to see if people actually are falling for this.
    I've a bone to pick with this crowd. Could'nt make the 1 in kilmanham. unless you get youre money back the day you bought one of the many faulty items, chances are you never will. i cannot stress enough how much of a scam this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I contacted the NCA about this issue, however I don't have a case because I have never been to one of these auctions.

They seem to think it is a case of Buyer Beware at auctions and that the consumer has the right to refunds if the product is not as suggested etc etc.

So who do we get incontact with to stop these con artist? IMO they should be put in jail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sydwomanbeater

Firstly Blue Terrier, hotels are suffering from the economic downturn so badly these days they won't refuse any type of revenue.
    Clarissa you are right - 'associates' of the guy running this sham are strategically placed to cause these diversions and falsely instill feigned auction frenzy - how else would they make money given that their products are so hot they are smoking! Take it from me, I know from experience.

• Advertisement

does anyone know where these chancers are scamming this week???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 darren1978

Bracken Court Hotel, Balbriggan
    Sunday 19th July

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭NorthDub

they had one of those auctions in balbriggan today and i went down for the craic, had my eye on maybe sat nav and a food processor

they explain that you have to pay the hammer price then their commission of 15% and then vat of 21.5%, on their projector thing they would just show the final price and never put up the full breakdown, but I noticed a couple of times that the final price they put up was actually a few euro more than it should have been, dont think people even copped it was happening, so needless to say i left without buying anything and wouldnt recommend anyone to go at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

I got a refund for two things I bought at one of these dodgy auctions.
    They made claims that these "designer" saucepans were used and endorsed by celebrity chefs. (Ok sounded legit at the time... ahem). Also a set of cutlery which was teh best money could buy...

Anyway after taking them home and googling I found out that they were fake imitation (they appeared to be high quality though)

I went back the next day durnig one of their auctions and started complaining, I got refunded for two out of the three items. The more noise you make in this environment the better. Since they are trying to scam people with the same they want to get rid of you as quickly as possible.

These auctions are SCAMS, they are rigged to make it feel like you are getting a bargain. STAY AWAY

X

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Xcellor wrote: »
    I got a refund for two things I bought at one of these dodgy auctions.
    They made claims that these "designer" saucepans were used and endorsed by celebrity chefs. (Ok sounded legit at the time... ahem). Also a set of cutlery which was teh best money could buy...

Anyway after taking them home and googling I found out that they were fake imitation (they appeared to be high quality though)

I went back the next day durnig one of their auctions and started complaining, I got refunded for two out of the three items. The more noise you make in this environment the better. Since they are trying to scam people with the same they want to get rid of you as quickly as possible.

These auctions are SCAMS, they are rigged to make it feel like you are getting a bargain. STAY AWAY

X

Yes they create an enviroment where if you dont bid on something you think you are missing a bargain.
    Thje prices at these thing do seem cheap at the time but when you go home you usually find the quality isnt that good or it was no bargain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭antopanto

darren1978 wrote: »
    Bracken Court Hotel, Balbriggan
    Sunday 19th July

Does anybody know where these scammers are this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Cowboys. Keep away from these things they are rigged and what you receive at the end is not what you think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 shypal

The next one is in the Park Hotel in Mullingar from 2 - 5 pm on 26th July. The leaflet is exactly the same as the one scanned earlier.. No mention of an auction either

was at the one in balbriggan, had a dud camera to bring back. go no joy out of them, they said they never stocked the camera i had. i got stung, BUYERS BEWARE. it was the little baldy english one with the bad teeth that i was dealing with, he seems to be incharge of the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭antopanto

How old would you say this fellah is?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

was at the one in balbriggan, had a dud camera to bring back. go no joy out of them, they said they never stocked the camera i had. i got stung, BUYERS BEWARE. it was the little baldy english one with the bad teeth that i was dealing with, he seems to be incharge of the whole thing.
    Were you polite? Because that's where you did wrong. Be a total loud a$$hole, and you may get your money back...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Report it to the NCA they will actually look into that for you. National Consumer Agency.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭EZeeBOS

I might spend the €6 and see who the directors of the company are.

A quick google check might be a clear indication that they are seasoned scamers!

antopanto wrote: »
    How old would you say this fellah is?
    i say hes about 40, the english guy..

the_syco wrote: »
    Were you polite? Because that's where you did wrong. Be a total loud a$$hole, and you may get your money back...
    your right, but i just cant be like that. should have got someone else to go up...

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote: »
    Report it to the NCA they will actually look into that for you. National Consumer Agency.
    cheers, i'll check it out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 zyggy32

Just to let you know that I got the leaflet in the Door the Next one is on Sunday 2nd August in the Westgrove Hotel Clane from 6pm to 9pm looks like they want to get all the Sunday Bank Holiday drinkers in for an easy killing :D:D:D:eek::eek::eek::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭chic chick

This crowd are in the Westgrove Hotel Clane today.. I only saw this thread after going there this morning. It was awful.. but a very small crowd so hopefully they didn't do too well. The hotline number on the leaflet doesn't answer and different friends in the area got different start times on their leaflets. They started late and sucked people in by starting with some cheap rubbishy items. The camcorders were speed d.6 - never heard of them.

He opened by showing a permit issued by the Dept of Enterprise trade and employment but no one really got to see it ......

How do they get away with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 wotalaff

wotalaff says wotalaff!!

I was in Clane today at the Westgrove and it was a real howl. The "boys" (sales assistants??) were a mixture of pikies and cockney wide boys, it was like watching Snatch actually.
    I remember similiar goon shows in the 70's in Henry St when they used to throw sweets in to the kids in the crowd. Obviously the concept evolved a bit in the tiger (small t) years.

The evening show was fairly busy, prob people heading out after match. One tactic seems to be to confuse you as to what is actually happening as much as possible and lots and lots of SHOUTING.

I wouldn't buy a thing off these langers...I did however stay for 90mins and thoroughly enjoyed "the show" so at least I got good value for my Eur2.00.

Keep your money in your pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

These scumbags have been operating for years they've got every angle covered I'm just surprised that fairly respectable hotels are still allowing them in after all this time. They know exactly who they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 lovetoshop

I went to this one in clane a friend of mine bought a kettle and toaster and when she opened them they were used. Might take a trip down to the warehouse or if anyone knows where and when the next auction is Im sure they wouldnt want someone standing out side with their used goods.

google 'toyz 4 boyz' its the same company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 lovetoshop

google 'toyz 4 boyz' its the same company
    You're right its the same geezer but different address to rtl @ southcourt business park. I wonder do brown thomas dixions and currys know they are saying they are selling their over stock. Shops would usually reduced these items themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭pcardin

Does anyone knows where they gonna show up this weekend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭bogs

Iwas at one of these sales recently in clonmel.A PURE SCAM.

Advertisement