Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bankruptcy Sale Local hotel - legit? Faulty goods

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

dont go send your money to nigeria instead, at least they are good at scamming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

Disastrous. Filled with tat, run by chancers (you can tell by the grammar & spelling errors on the leaflet, and the lack of a landline or realistic VAT details) and generally a bad experience all round. Don't bother. You'll almost certainly regret it, if only for the realisation that you've wasted your time on visiting an open plan pound shop.

(Anecdotal evidence of counterfeit small-denomination note currency circulating at a higher rate than usual after they've blessed a town with their presence too...)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

MonsterMob wrote: »
    Would be interested. Do you have any other details about it?

I do but I didn't want to give the details on here and from the response it seems like it would be a bad idea.

You know when you ask: "why shouldn't I press the red button?" and some tells you it because it will do something really dangerous, and you know you shouldn't but you just have to press the button.

Well thats how I feel now :)

How is this not against the law? Trade descriptions etc.

There is one happening in the Carlton Hotel, Old Airport Road. Did you get your money back in the end?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I went along to one of these things before and it was great fun.

Not because I bought anything, I didn't, but because I watched otherwise intelligent people get sucked in by a very obvious and amateurish scam due to herd mentality.

If you have any interest in human psychology it is really interesting, I believe it is the same psychology that leads to pyramid schemes, property bubbles, etc. just on a much smaller and easier to watch scale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MiniMetro

Went to one of these years ago in Sach's Hotel in Donnybrook with my mother. Had money saved up to get a Hi-Fi. Bought a Hi-Fi, didn't actually turn out to be that cheap, after they added the 'VAT and fees' on. My mother bought a pair of 'top of the range' binoculars for my dad for about £40-50. When we got home the Hi-Fi was completely dead, not a blink out of it and the binoculars didn't have lenses, just see through plastic discs.

We got straight in the car and headed back down. We can't have arrived more than half an hour after the sale had ended. The whole room had been stripped and there was no evidence of the sale whatsoever. Luckily we caught site of one of the guys from the sale and after much arguing finally got our money back.

It's proper cockney wideboy stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Got that flyer too about the one on in the Carlton Hotel on the Old Airport Road this Sunday. All looks too good to be true really. I'd like to go to see the type of scum that will be there but I'd rather not get mugged so I think I'll give it a miss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Elmo wrote: »
    There is one happening in the Carlton Hotel, Old Airport Road. Did you get your money back in the end?
    Somebody should ring up the hotel and tell them what is being planned. I think somebody from here had one of these events cancelled by doing just that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭dotcom13

wow when is the one on in the Carlton?
    would be great to know... I'd happily ring the hotel...

• Advertisement

Is this what happened ? .....................................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o1zdm7ANVw&feature=related

This is exactly what happened, watch out!
    Didn't think I would get caught out in something like this but I did..... arahhh

The event in the Carlton is a legit expo not an auction. I went to the trouble of finding out...

Clare Bear wrote: »
    Got that flyer too about the one on in the Carlton Hotel on the Old Airport Road this Sunday. All looks too good to be true really. I'd like to go to see the type of scum that will be there but I'd rather not get mugged so I think I'll give it a miss.

In fairness to the "organizers" they are mugging you without the pain! at the same time I would like to just see what goes on only I am to scabby to even pay 2euro to see people get conned!

Not because I bought anything, I didn't, but because I watched otherwise intelligent people get sucked in by a very obvious and amateurish scam due to herd mentality.

But you did go and pay that 2euro fee!

Are they not the same people who organize these events each time?

We could all go and ruin it on them by demanding to see the products for sale etc.

dotcom13 wrote: »
    The event in the Carlton is a legit expo not an auction. I went to the trouble of finding out...

Well this is what the poster says:-

NOT TO BE MISSED WHOLE SALE & HIGH STREET STOCK CLEARANCE

FOR ONE DAY ONLY

On the instructions from several well known high street outlets RTL. Ireland's longest established and biggest wholesale clearance company has to dispose of a large quality of new and graded stock.

ENTIRE CONTENS OF WAREHOUSE MUST GO REGARDLESS OF COST

ETC ETC

CARLTON HOTEL
    (OLD AIRPORT ROAD)

permit issued by the Dept. of Enterprise and Employment VAT No. IE9660428D WEEE No. RIN100

ADMISSION €2

SUNDAY 25TH JANUARY 2009

SALE FROM ............ 6PM TO 9PM

VIEWING FROM 10AM- PLEASE ARRIVE PROMPTLY FOR EACH SALE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭oneweb

Got the leaflet yesterday too (attached). Brought it to work to scan and post a warning to fellow boardsies.

I went to one of these years ago. Nothing short of disgraceful. Didn't buy anything, mainly 'cos I didn't fall for the false sense of pandemonium. Why on earth any hotel would want to have any association with this sort of scum is unbelievable!

There are plenty of posts on boards regarding these 'events'. They usually end along the lines of "don't waste your time or money".

OH, don't for a second think you'll get anything on the leaflet for the price listed. That's the starting price and one of the plants will up it straight away.

It is what it's.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

But you did go and pay that 2euro fee!

No, it was in Cork a good few years ago and it was free, so it was just some free entertainment for me. I wouldn't have paid for it obviously, just on the principal of it.

It was exactly like what you see in the youtube video above.

Mine had very similar stuff on it. If you go just be careful and let us know how you got on.

Watch the youtube link posted on this thread, if it looks the same let us know.

This one is run by Ring Lee Trading, search them on the internet first.. I found nothing when googled

It sounded ok when I talked to the Hotel people..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o1zdm7ANVw&feature=related

oneweb wrote: »
    Got the leaflet yesterday too (attached). Brought it to work to scan and post a warning to fellow boardsies.

I went to one of these years ago. Nothing short of disgraceful. Didn't buy anything, mainly 'cos I didn't fall for the false sense of pandemonium. Why on earth any hotel would want to have any association with this sort of scum is unbelievable!

There are plenty of posts on boards regarding these 'events'. They usually end along the lines of "don't waste your time or money".

OH, don't for a second think you'll get anything on the leaflet for the price listed. That's the starting price and one of the plants will up it straight away.

Might be an idea to merge these threads and sticky them? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=58725873#post58725873

Mine had very similar stuff on it. If you go just be careful and let us know how you got on.

It sounded ok when I talked to the Hotel people..

Don't think I will go TBH.

I don't think the Hotel people are the people to talk to, they are going to want to keep their good name intact. Not sure if Carlton has a good name but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

FOR ONE DAY ONLY

On the instructions from several well known high street outlets RTL. Ireland's longest established and biggest wholesale clearance company has to dispose of a large quality of new and graded stock.

ETC ETC

CARLTON HOTEL
    (OLD AIRPORT ROAD)

permit issued by the Dept. of Enterprise and Employment VAT No. IE9660428D WEEE No. RIN100

ADMISSION €2

SUNDAY 25TH JANUARY 2009

The VAT number and WEEE number seem legit anyway.

• Advertisement

MOH wrote: »
    The VAT number and WEEE number seem legit anyway.

CRO have RTL (Ringley Trading Ltd) listed, but that doesn't suggest their legitimacy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

This is exactly what happened, watch out!
    Didn't think I would get caught out in something like this but I did..... arahhh
    I'm with the scammers on this one after watching that video. The disgusting greed and ignorance shown by some people deserves to be exploited.

I'm with the scammers on this one after watching that video. The disgusting greed and ignorance shown by some people deserves to be exploited.

Right so time for a Boards massive clearance sale.

Membership from 2euro, with former top members selling their names for only 10 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

I check out their vat number and its registered to ringley trading.

on solocheck their business is down as
    AGENTS INVOLVED IN THE SALE OF AGRICULTURAL RAW MATERIALS, LIVE ANIMALS, TEXTILE RAW MATERIALS AND SEMI-FINISHED GOODS

'semi finished goods' !!! hilarious, i dont think you need to look any further!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

MiniMetro wrote: »
    Went to one of these years ago in Sach's Hotel in Donnybrook with my mother. Had money saved up to get a Hi-Fi. Bought a Hi-Fi, didn't actually turn out to be that cheap, after they added the 'VAT and fees' on. My mother bought a pair of 'top of the range' binoculars for my dad for about £40-50. When we got home the Hi-Fi was completely dead, not a blink out of it and the binoculars didn't have lenses, just see through plastic discs.

We got straight in the car and headed back down. We can't have arrived more than half an hour after the sale had ended. The whole room had been stripped and there was no evidence of the sale whatsoever. Luckily we caught site of one of the guys from the sale and after much arguing finally got our money back.

It's proper cockney wideboy stuff.
    If you want decent , cheap binoculars Lidl / Aldi do Bresser/Meade for under €20 , you'd have to spend many multiples of that price to get signifigantly better ones

in general avoid zoom ones unless you can bolt them to something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

The flyer says "Irelands Longest Established clearance company"

Well, it was set up in July 2007. Supplied "nil accounts" (perfectly normal) in January last year. Its run from a one room office in Carlow.

CRO details as follows

Company

Number 442997

Name
    RINGLEY TRADING LIMITED

Address
    119 ROCHFORT MANOR
    GRAIGUECULLEN CARLOW

Registered
    11/07/2007

But it also is registered as a UK company!! - Registered the same day with the same registered address. hmmmm...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

FOR ONE DAY ONLY

ETC ETC

CARLTON HOTEL
    (OLD AIRPORT ROAD)

ADMISSION €2

SUNDAY 25TH JANUARY 2009

this RTL crowd are apparently based in Carlow on staplestown road near centra somewhere but where there offices are is only a taxi office and a few other single room offices it looks more like just a postal address for them! if they were legit surely they would have their business name on the wall of this "house" showing they exist there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

In the Ardilaun in Galway next.

They cant even spell Black & Decker right.

scam.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I can pretty much guarantee they won't be selling PS3s for 100 euro.
    They cant even spell Black & Decker right.

That may not be a typo. They'll have lots of Black & Deker alongside the Sany, Panasnic and Fillips products.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Got it...

OK so it may not be a scam and the goods may be genuine - most likely catalogue returns from UK home shopping companies (you can buy mixed pallets for about £1000 with £5000 retail value).

Many of these items have been returned and boxes are damaged, items damaged etc.

The catch is in the small print.

You see nice camera normally retailing at say €300. You bid €200 and you "win" it. You think you got a bargain.

Then the small print comes into play -

On the advert it say "prices are the lower reserve prices & include VAT & sales commission". This suggests that the prices you bid will be subject to 15% commission + VAT @ 21.5%, so your bargain camera comes in at €280 with no warranty & no comeback on the sellers. - Auctions are for "as seen" goods and thus would probably not come under sale of goods act.

Advertisement