Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bankruptcy Sale Local hotel - legit? Faulty goods

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

i know people bought things at these auctions. At the time they think they are getting a bargain. Its only later when they compare prices online or in the shops do they realise they were ripped off

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭quicklickpaddy

there is another one on in merrion square this weekend.. its not advertised as an auction tho. might just go for ****s and giggles. saw the flier today and got very excited.. i just assumed they were riddled by the recession or something and needed to clear everything for some reason that i wanted to believe. that or just it was all stolen. :p thank you boards!

btw if you want good stuff that im pretty sure is stolen, but i dont care cos its very cheap, there is a place just off tallaght village in dominics shoppin centre. its just a regular shop.. but not so long ago i bought 48 cans of redbull knock-off stuff for a 5er. well worth a mosie around!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I went once to on in the red cow. Some of the stuff I had no interest in but we did buy a couple of things. We knew what we wanted though and only got what we wanted. First thing we got was a gift for father in law. A professional chefs knife set in aleather box, as far as I remember we paid around 60 for it and they put a value of a couple of hundred on it. Father in law thought maybe 100.

Next we got a bike, my young brother had his bike stolen so I had specifically wanted one. After extras ended up around 100, but the bike was too big and we sold it on, as far as I remember we made 20 on it but they had claimed it was worth around 400, extra suspension etc, any bike shop I called had never heard of the brand make though so that goes to show.

Then we get a delph set. They said the set was clearence from a department store, cant remember the name of it, btu one of those posh ones. They said it retailed at around 120, we paid around 40ish. That was around 4 years ago. We still have that set, lovely it was, real high quality. But I think we may have been lucky to get some of the very few quality items. We went in with little money and knowing we wanted a bike and a gift for father in law. We were to move to a new house so we were keeping an eye out for something nice, which turned out to be the delph.

Beware though dont be pulled into items you dont want or need, when you go to these things you should only bother with what you need not what sounds nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Scam Scam Scam Scam Scam Scam Scam Scam Scam Scam Scam Scam Scam Scam Scam Scam Scam Scam Scam Scam Scam Scam Scam Scam Scam Scam Scam Scam Scam Scam Scam Scam Scam Scam Scam Scam Scam Scam Scam Scam

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Stawer

Hi everybody.

Thanks for this thread :).
    I was today in O' Callaghans Davenport Hotel - Merrion Square, Dublin.
    In reception some guy told me to go around the corner - can you believe it. This hotel must be somehow linked with these f... scammers.

Around the corner there were two guys ;). They handed me a leaflet with an info that this whole fake sale had to be moved to a bigger place (due to unexpected high stock levels - yeah, right).

It is going to be in The Clarion Hotel, Liffey Valley, Sunday 17th May.

Really, thanks for this thread. I thought it must be some scam, or a bunch of thiefs trying to get rid of stolen property. Anyway I have to blame my curiosity :).

Death to all scammers :).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jessikaway

:pac:this is random but is the clarion hotel one real or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 1580Steve

I got one of these leaflets from RTL last week for the Davenport Hotel in City Centre and curiousity got the best of me and I dragged the girlfriend in for the "Evening Sale". We arrived an hour early so went for a drink next door first. When we eventually went over about 5.30 all excited about what bargains we could pick up we entered the hotel Lobby and asked at the reception we were told it was CANCELLED! Don't know if hotel cancelled it or what happened but I'm glad now after reading this thread! I really wanted the 30 piece cutlery set for €2!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Validation11

Can anyone give me the location of the next Ringley Trading Sale in Ireland? I need to catch up with these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Ratzo Rizzo

Davy wrote: »
    Does your RETURN/ENTER button not work???

Don't be soooo tedious you pedantic w anchor...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Can anyone give me the location of the next Ringley Trading Sale in Ireland? I need to catch up with these people.

I got a flier this morning saying they would be in The Stillorgan Park Hotel on Sunday 31st May from 6 to 9 pm.
    Good Luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭gaz d

Stillorgan Park Hotel, 2-5pm This Sunday 31st. I really want a BMX bike for a fiver!!!:D

What happens when you ask for the big stuff like bikes, You pay, get thrown out and never see your money again.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭gaz d

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055459093&page=3

Got it too, im gonna go for the laugh, Have a Fake tenner in my room:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

gaz d wrote: »
    Stillorgan Park Hotel, 2-5pm This Sunday 31st. I really want a BMX bike for a fiver!!!:D

What happens when you ask for the big stuff like bikes, You pay, get thrown out and never see your money again.

the leaflet we got says 6-9

they obviously don't want people to know they're having more than one sale

especially people who will buy faulty stuff in the earlier sale to know these guys are still there and have a chance to bring the stuff back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Wow got one of the flyers for stilorgan here too, so many amazing bargins!!!!!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

saw one of these flyers for Athlone a few months back, in a respectable hotel.... Same crowd, same flyer, same prices... almost went but got caught up with work. Had my eye on a tv on the flyer, wasn't going to hand over money without turning it on first :P

My parents had gone to one about 10 years ago, same principal, auction, buy this this and this for £x amount. The stereo was ok, cd player never worked properly and a few years later when I took it apart, I realised how cheap it was :P It was a "brand" name too. The two clocks they bought are still on the go. One was like a small grandfather clock, the other a nice plane yet elegant clock. Both still working no bother, they're not masterpieces but what was paid for them they're grand. Oh the microwave is still on the go, working grand, lot of use since it was bought. So not all that bad, but the high value stuff is a blatant scam.

They also use plants in the "audience", they may actually give out 2 lcd tvs or ps3s for "100 euro", but to people working for them. Then the next couple are a lot more expensive or bundled with other expensive, knockoff stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Validation11

Hi Mark,
    Cheers for reply unfortunately I couldn't made it on sunday to return some goods.

Does anyone know of the next sale

I hope you put that fake tenner to good work

• Registered Users Posts: 13 bogger09

Next sale is in the Royal Hotel Bray on Sunday the 7th June. 2pm-5pm.
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Sunshine05

Got flyer in letterbox this morning next one is on in the Clonmel Park Hotel on sunday 21st June

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 time will tell

darc wrote: »
    The flyer says "Irelands Longest Established clearance company"

Well, it was set up in July 2007. Supplied "nil accounts" (perfectly normal) in January last year. Its run from a one room office in Carlow.

CRO details as follows

Company

Number 442997

Name Micheal (Syd) Seger
    RINGLEY TRADING LIMITED

Address
    119 ROCHFORT MANOR
    GRAIGUECULLEN CARLOW

Mobile Number 0863843913
    Registered
    11/07/2007

But it also is registered as a UK company!! - Registered the same day with the same registered address. hmmmm...
    check his record... not a nice fellow

Hi Mark,
    Cheers for reply unfortunately I couldn't made it on sunday to return some goods.

I hope you put that fake tenner to good work
    clonmel park hotel... sunday 21 june 6-9pm

• Advertisement

<snip>

Edit: Uncomfortable naming the individual responsible. dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sydwomanbeater

Elmo wrote: »
    Have you ever gone to one of these clearances usual in a hotel?

I have a flyer for one thinking of going. Are they any use?
    pLEASE DO NOT GO TO ONE OF THESE AND DEFINITELY DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THEM. APOLOGIES FOR THE CAPS, BUT I CANNOT EMPHASISE THIS ENOUGH, DO NOT ATTEND THIS OR ENTERTAIN THESE 'SHOWS'.

pLEASE DO NOT GO TO ONE OF THESE AND DEFINITELY DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THEM. APOLOGIES FOR THE CAPS, BUT I CANNOT EMPHASISE THIS ENOUGH, DO NOT ATTEND THIS OR ENTERTAIN THESE 'SHOWS'.
    sydwomanbeater, i take it you know this little prick??? <snip>

Personal references removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Keep it civil here people.

dudara

foggy_lad wrote: »
    this RTL crowd are apparently based in Carlow on staplestown road near centra somewhere but where there offices are is only a taxi office and a few other single room offices it looks more like just a postal address for them! if they were legit surely they would have their business name on the wall of this "house" showing they exist there?

<snip>

time will tell - I've already removed the details in another thread. Posters with a vendetta are not appreciated.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭numanuma

A friend of mine got duped. They showed the box of an Iphone and the auction began. He paid about 200 euro for it. Then he got the box opened it up and it was a state of the art HI-Phone, some chinese ripoff. Luckily enough loud and public persistence got the cash back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You can buy those Hi-Phones (or I-fones) on dealextreme.com for about $100 (70 euro). I'm surprised this crowd haven't been selling these for longer. They've been on eBay for ages with sellers pretending they are Apple i-phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 blueterrier

Just wondering about all this, I received a leaflet today about RTL having one of the events in the Hilton Hotel, Kilmainham next Sunday, 28th June. If they are as seems to be the belief on here, scam artists, why do reputable hotels and the like allow them to use their facilities? And how come all those who have already been scammed don't show up and disrupt their activities. As Edmund Burke said, "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.", so if some good men or women do something, they may fail to achieve their objectives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If they are as seems to be the belief on here, scam artists, why do reputable hotels and the like allow them to use their facilities?

Because they rent a room, and pay the bill.

And how come all those who have already been scammed don't show up and disrupt their activities.

Because they'll be in a room full of people who want to believe, and they'd look like a loony, and be asked to leave.
    if some good men or women do something, they may fail to achieve their objectives

This is doing something, making it known that these clearance/auctions are not what they seem, and you will not get a Sony Bravia TV for 50 euro. You won't get a bargain in any form, and in fact anything you do buy will cost you over the odds. Nothing will be brand named, everything will be some cheap alternative or knock-off.

Technically, they're not a scam, they're just very bad value for money, and you have no warranty or comeback in any way shape or form. You see what you're buying, and you willingly part with your money. It's unethical, misleading, profiteering, and praying on the week willed. But then, so is a lot of retail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭caspermccormack

The Hilton in Kilmainham had these shower in last Sunday, interest got the better of me. After 30 Min's late opening, we got a fifteen minute spiel on how they have the best clearance stock to go and must go tonight ****e. Then tells you that in an hours time there will be couple hundred traders coming to buy most the stock, so hurry up and get you bargains now type of thing. Seamed very dodge to me. Lads on the floor with the black shirt and Grey tie with jeans on:D comical. And then from nowhere 2,4,6,8 no no STOP, give me a fiver, now get your hand up if you want some.
    The 1028p high def camcorder was a classic! pure ****e no brand and was getting over 200 euros for them, and I would wonder if the ghd's were knock offs, probably the one they send around for inspection is genuine and than the one you get is the copy muck. Buyers beware!!!

Advertisement