Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Dartz wrote: »
    Company I work for is so strapped for cash they've cancelled the bin-service.

We've switched to 'composting'

Sorted.

Let Shruikan's housemate look after your refuse for you. She seems keen on that.

I amaze myself at times, killing two birds with one stone. Maybe literally too.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

starling wrote: »
    My mother stopped switching on the immersion when she got heating put in, because the heating heats water. Fair enough except in summer when the heating doesn't go on she will only use the immersion for two things: the twice weekly washing of her hair and her weekly bath.

She boils the kettle to wash the dishes and washes herself with cold water every morning.

Also, I have no computer atm and a family friend said he was getting rid of his and did I want it? She said I couldn't have it unless I paid her €5 extra a week for the electricity.

Is the stinginess that you don't get to shower? Cos I don't see anything wrong otherwise. The immersion is quite expensive (if you didn't know...) and heats more than the water you'd need for the wash up. We always used the kettle for the wash up at home. We have the immersion on here and I'd go without but they won't do the wash up except with running water. I hate the waste (both of electricity and water) but since I'm not the one paying I leave to them (hubby pays that one).

We have a new baby on the way and we've been looking for a second cot, second-hand on done deal or adverts.ie. And I have to say I'm a bit impressed with the stinginess of some of the offers. A perfectly good cot (plus mattress if you want it) going for €20 which is a steal in my opinion and people are still offering less than the asking price! Now I know it's the seller's prerogative whether to sell at less than asking price, but I still can't get over it. I mean you're already saving at least €50 on the cheapest new cot I've seen (and I wouldn't guarantee the quality....).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

nicowa wrote: »
    on done deal or adverts.ie. And I have to say I'm a bit impressed with the stinginess of some of the offers.

We replaced our sitting room suite a few years back and offered the old one (which was actually only about 3 years old, and a lovely corner unit) for free on DoneDeal. The only condition was that the taker had to collect it themselves.

The amount of people who rang up and were like "Ah would you not drop it down to us?" or "Well will you give us the petrol money?"

FCUK OFF! You're getting a gorgeous suede corner suite for free, but that's not quite good enough for you???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

People on Adverts (I don't use Done Deal) can be mad stingy, to the point where it's kind of offensive. I remember someone wanting to buy a T.V for €30 down from €40 and have it dropped down to them in Cork, from Dublin. It'll cost way more than that in petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,276 ✭✭✭✭Victor

A perfectly good cot (plus mattress if you want it) going for €20
    On health grounds, it is inappropriate to reuse these mattresses for a different baby. You might report the ad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

People on Adverts (I don't use Done Deal) can be mad stingy, to the point where it's kind of offensive. I remember someone wanting to buy a T.V for €30 down from €40 and have it dropped down to them in Cork, from Dublin. It'll cost way more than that in petrol.

They're mad like that on Adverts, if you advertised an authentic original copy of Shakespeare's lost folio for €500 you'd be guaranteed someone would be there within 5 minutes offering you a fiver for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I have stopped bothering with adverts/donedeal/freecycle. We were offering stuff for free on freecycle a while back, decent stuff that just didn't suit our house when we moved, and the amount of rubbish we had to put up with was unbelievable. We had messers emailing to say they were on the way to pick up the stuff, only to send another email a week later asking if it was gone. We had people humming and hawing over pictures we emailed/texted, asking millions of questions and never getting back to us. Eventually we decided enough was enough, we hired a skip and got rid of the lot. It was easier than hoping someone would actually be decent and take the stuff which was going for free. I recently advertised a practically new item on adverts/donedeal, offered at a decent price (less than half it would cost new because I wanted a quick sale) and once again the messers were out. I've since taken down the ad and will offer the item for free when I hear of someone who needs it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭starling

Is the stinginess that you don't get to shower? Cos I don't see anything wrong otherwise.

The stinginess in that particular case is that she washes herself in cold water, rather than spend any money at all.

But since you ask,
    We do have an electric shower but she times me in it and freaks out if I take two showers a day. Having lived on my own for ten years with immersion-based rather than electric showers I'm in the habit of spending 5-6 minutes in the shower, it's not like I'm messing around in there.

This means that if I get up in the morning, shower and dress, go out somewhere and sweat buckets because we are having the hottest summer since 1995 in case you hadn't noticed, I have to either try to get to sleep that night all sweaty and uncomfortable, or have a screaming row because I want to wash myself with soap and warm water. JSYK a sweat rash can turn nasty pretty quickly. As a third option I can go downstairs, boil the kettle, put the boiling water into a jug and carry it upstairs. I will of course have to waste some of this water cleaning the bathroom sink, which is always dirty. Since I'm disabled this is far from ideal and in fact is quite dangerous. Also see below re: the amount of times the kettle actually gets boiled per day in this house.
    The immersion is quite expensive (if you didn't know...) and heats more than the water you'd need for the wash up.

Please see above re: living alone for 10 years. I am well aware of the cost of living and that leaving the immersion on unnecessarily is a stupid waste of money. It depends on what you're washing. As I mentioned my ma has no problem leaving the immersion on for hours on end to heat her bathwater, but not for anything else.
    We always used the kettle for the wash up at home. We have the immersion on here and I'd go without but they won't do the wash up except with running water. I hate the waste (both of electricity and water) but since I'm not the one paying I leave to them (hubby pays that one).

Your method of washing dishes sounds a lot like my mother's: boil kettle, pour into basin, add small squirt of washing up liquid and some cold water. Put dishes in now warm water, take them out, place on dish drainer, job done.

Just FYI this is not a very hygienic way to wash dishes and personally I don't consider clean dishes a waste of water. But on the subject of waste, this method means that certain items end up being washed twice since a) the glasses and plates all have a greasy film left on them, the aftermath of unrinsed washing up liquid and b) every morning, when I take my coffee mug out of the cupboard, there's a small amount of cold, dirty dishwater in the bottom of it.
    When you add the fact that my mother also boils the kettle to clean the kitchen floor once a day (she has a large dog) and various other household tasks she could probably save money by just sticking the immersion on for half an hour. Also, she only uses the washing machine once a week and only allows one load. I have to wait until I know she's going to be out for a few hours to put on the immersion and handwash my clothes.

Basically what I'm saying is she is practicing a false economy because she thinks "The immersion is expensive, therefore I will not use it" when she is wasting money on using a power-hungry rapid-boil kettle all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

Victor wrote: »
    On health grounds, it is inappropriate to reuse these mattresses for a different baby. You might report the ad.

Ah come on, i caught that too but reporting it is a bit harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭starling

minotour wrote: »

I dunno there are obviously a lot of other people who didn't think there was anything wrong with it, and by reporting it you might be protecting their babies from that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur.

I'm not responding. The day I told her my dad had cancer she told me to make sure he had a will made. Me inconsolable and that's all she had to say, I hate my friends

Jesus fcuking Christ...that is absolutely disgusting.

Some people are complete filth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057010644

I just read the above thread and immediately thought of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,276 ✭✭✭✭Victor

minotour wrote: »
    You've not had a cot death in the family then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Does using a seond hand baby mattress cause cot death now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

This has gotten a bit heavy.

Can someone PM me when the funny stinge stories are back?

I'll leave you with this one.
    My OH's Dad is really stingy and will never get the professionals in if something goes wrong in his house, despite the fact that he's nearly 70.
    The other day his water went in the attic, so he decides to go up himself to sort it. He was letting the ladder down from the attic when it slipped and hit him on the head quite hard.
    He fell into the bath and hurt his back.

Hang on.

That wasn't really funny either.

Sorry everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

She boils the kettle to wash the dishes and washes herself with cold water every morning.

Loads of people do this. :confused:

Immersion is really expensive.
    Your method of washing dishes sounds a lot like my mother's: boil kettle, pour into basin, add small squirt of washing up liquid and some cold water. Put dishes in now warm water, take them out, place on dish drainer, job done.

Just FYI this is not a very hygienic way to wash dishes and personally I don't consider clean dishes a waste of water. But on the subject of waste, this method means that certain items end up being washed twice since a) the glasses and plates all have a greasy film left on them, the aftermath of unrinsed washing up liquid and b) every morning, when I take my coffee mug out of the cupboard, there's a small amount of cold, dirty dishwater in the bottom of it.

Ye're doing it wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭saltyjack silverblade

This has gotten a bit heavy.

Can someone PM me when the funny stinge stories are back?

I'll leave you with this one.
    My OH's Dad is really stingy and will never get the professionals in if something goes wrong in his house, despite the fact that he's nearly 70.
    The other day his water went in the attic, so he decides to go up himself to sort it. He was letting the ladder down from the attic when it slipped and hit him on the head quite hard.
    He fell into the bath and hurt his back.

Hang on.

That wasn't really funny either.

Sorry everyone.

I lol'd.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Does using a seond hand baby mattress cause cot death now?

If it does it's amazing any of my nieces and nephews made it past infancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

Let it go, clearly touched a nerve for one poster.......understandably

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭xxmeabhxx

I'm only on page 68 but thought I'd skip ahead to the end and post anyway :)

Now my sister isn't really stingy at all, very generous with presents and stuff but she's cracked up my family with some of her student cost cutting measures. She's doing a masters in London and the fees as well as living expenses are quite pricey so she has a strict budget to keep to.

When she originally moved over she was complaining that she couldn't get a single knife, fork and spoon and had to get a set of four. She was debating whether or not to get a pot as well as she reckoned she could do without for the year. I think she did give in eventually. She eats very healthily and makes a lot of her own food.

Also, back when she was in secondary her and one of her friends had a pizza hut scam. They'd go in and one would order a buffet and the other would pretend to not be that hungry and get a side of chips plus two glasses of tap water. The one who'd got the buffet would pile up the plate bring it back and "offer" some to the other, the one with the chips would "offer some of those as well. They were about 14/15 doing this but would try to pretend to be under 12 to get a kids buffet. It cost them a couple euro each.

Actually, the two of us never buy cinema food, we buy snacks in tesco or spar to bring in, I don't think it's stingy, the prices are ridiculous! My boyfriend and I do the same when we go to the cinema as well.

Yeah my sister isn't mean at all, whenever she's home from college, my aunt and uncle always fit in a few meet ups with us and generally we all have a laugh hearing about her cost cutting measures. Whenever she's home, she takes something back to London with her, a veggie peeler or a cafetiere and some coffee, in fairness things my Dad and I probably won't miss, she's the only one who drinks coffee and we had two cafetieres. She's very entertaining and like I said before, generous when it comes to buying stuff for other people.

Oh almost forgot, my bf and I are going to London in November for a dr who convention but are obvs going to meet up with her and do some fun London things. She was helping us plan as she knows where everything is, how the tube works and can advise on where to stay in order to be close to wherever we want to go. I told her the hotel I was thinking of booking, it was super cheap on expedia and was a lovely four star, she was going through all the free stuff they give you and picking out what she was planning on taking :P shampoo, coffee, she got mega excited at the bath robes but my Mom pointed out that they're like towels, you can't bring them home! I think she'd sneak in and stay a few nights at the hotel in our room if she could but we'd never let her lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

I've seen people stuff the pockets on automatic pool tables so as to get multiple games for their euro, not sure if that counts as stingy as nobody likes paying for every game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭MrVestek

xxmeabhxx wrote: »
    I'm only on page 68 but thought I'd skip ahead to the end and post anyway :)

Now my sister isn't really stingy at all, very generous with presents and stuff but she's cracked up my family with some of her student cost cutting measures. She's doing a masters in London and the fees as well as living expenses are quite pricey so she has a strict budget to keep to.

When she originally moved over she was complaining that she couldn't get a single knife, fork and spoon and had to get a set of four. She was debating whether or not to get a pot as well as she reckoned she could do without for the year. I think she did give in eventually. She eats very healthily and makes a lot of her own food.

Also, back when she was in secondary her and one of her friends had a pizza hut scam. They'd go in and one would order a buffet and the other would pretend to not be that hungry and get a side of chips plus two glasses of tap water. The one who'd got the buffet would pile up the plate bring it back and "offer" some to the other, the one with the chips would "offer some of those as well. They were about 14/15 doing this but would try to pretend to be under 12 to get a kids buffet. It cost them a couple euro each.

Actually, the two of us never buy cinema food, we buy snacks in tesco or spar to bring in, I don't think it's stingy, the prices are ridiculous! My boyfriend and I do the same when we go to the cinema as well.

Yeah my sister isn't mean at all, whenever she's home from college, my aunt and uncle always fit in a few meet ups with us and generally we all have a laugh hearing about her cost cutting measures. Whenever she's home, she takes something back to London with her, a veggie peeler or a cafetiere and some coffee, in fairness things my Dad and I probably won't miss, she's the only one who drinks coffee and we had two cafetieres. She's very entertaining and like I said before, generous when it comes to buying stuff for other people.

Oh almost forgot, my bf and I are going to London in November for a dr who convention but are obvs going to meet up with her and do some fun London things. She was helping us plan as she knows where everything is, how the tube works and can advise on where to stay in order to be close to wherever we want to go. I told her the hotel I was thinking of booking, it was super cheap on expedia and was a lovely four star, she was going through all the free stuff they give you and picking out what she was planning on taking :P shampoo, coffee, she got mega excited at the bath robes but my Mom pointed out that they're like towels, you can't bring them home! I think she'd sneak in and stay a few nights at the hotel in our room if she could but we'd never let her lol.

Just posting to say that I hate you for getting tickets to that convention. Myself and my fiancé wanted to go too but the tickets sold out in minutes as soon as they were available. Grrr!

Also have fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

xxmeabhxx wrote: »
    she got mega excited at the bath robes but my Mom pointed out that they're like towels, you can't bring them home!
    Eh.. when did this happen :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

elfy4eva wrote: »
    I've seen people stuff the pockets on automatic pool tables so as to get multiple games for their euro, not sure if that counts as stingy as nobody likes paying for every game.

Thats genius :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

If its not chained down youre supposed to take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭keano89

lazygal wrote: »
    I have stopped bothering with adverts/donedeal/freecycle. We were offering stuff for free on freecycle a while back, decent stuff that just didn't suit our house when we moved, and the amount of rubbish we had to put up with was unbelievable. We had messers emailing to say they were on the way to pick up the stuff, only to send another email a week later asking if it was gone. We had people humming and hawing over pictures we emailed/texted, asking millions of questions and never getting back to us. Eventually we decided enough was enough, we hired a skip and got rid of the lot. It was easier than hoping someone would actually be decent and take the stuff which was going for free. I recently advertised a practically new item on adverts/donedeal, offered at a decent price (less than half it would cost new because I wanted a quick sale) and once again the messers were out. I've since taken down the ad and will offer the item for free when I hear of someone who needs it.

SVP will normally take furniture if its not falling apart. We donated two suites of furniture in the past and they collected it from the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

keano89 wrote: »
    SVP will normally take furniture if its not falling apart. We donated two suites of furniture in the past and they collected it from the house.

+1 for this, Less hassle and will be used by genuine people.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭xxmeabhxx

Achilles: my workplace has flexitime so I can come in any time before ten and my bf lives ten mins away so I stayed overnight so I could log on at nine and get them as soon as possible and be in work well before ten :)

Quazzie: My mom and sister move around quite a lot actually, my Mom lives in the US and my sister was over there visiting when I was skyping her to tell her about the hotel etc. She was looking at it online and saw that give you towels and my Mom who has in the room said that you can't take them home.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭batistuta9

elfy4eva wrote: »

it's grand when your young (-15/16) and skint :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭Alkers

Was camping at a music festival recently.
    One of my mates was staying in one tent with his girlfriend but she wasn't coming down until the next day.
    We had two of the gang go down early and claim us a spot and set up all of the tents.
    Stingy mate comes down to his already set up tent and he has a double air-mattress with him for him and the GF. He only pumped up his half of it, leaving the other half deflated for her to pump up once she arrived the next day! All this after someone else having set-up the tent for the pair of them!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement