Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Cunning more than stingy really.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Cunning more than stingy really.

Nah, it's pretty stingy, if he's not gonna use it, it's useless to him. He should have given it for less than it's value, maybe 25.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Nah, it's pretty stingy, if he's not gonna use it, it's useless to him. He should have given it for less than it's value, maybe 25.

30 maybe, not 25. Is he a younger or older brother?

The youngest child has a right to take advantage of their older siblings if they choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

DramaQuee wrote: »
    As you seem already to believe you know everything, I would hate to disillusion you regarding the incorrect assertions you have made regarding the detail of this man and his redundancy etc. In any case it was all secondary to a very small story. I find this pushy attitude very offputting in Boards, do not carry on as if you are an authority on each aspect of my story, you are, as most humans, erroneous in some areas.

I will only answer the brash portion directed at me. Yes I know a lot about this person, I have known him for many years. I agreed to go on a DATE or two with him, but I have KNOWN him since I holidayed with my Grandmother here from when I was 18. He is a very good friend of the family and spoke freely to me. Perhaps with the intention of appearing wealthy or whatever. It really doesn't matter. I'm actually sick of people getting personal, trying to appear all-knowing when they haven't the foggiest who they are directing their incorrect assertions at. so I'm actually closing my account, and listening to real people I actually know.
    Drama Queen by name and nature apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

:eek: That escalated quickly.

Brett killed a man with a trident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭tara73

Lukebray wrote: »
    I was in town today when I called my brother. I told him I was in Arnotts and he said "I have €35 left on my gift card and I'm not going to use it. Do you want it?". To which I said yes and walked all the way to Stephens Green where he asked for €35 cash in exchange. I was under the impression that he was going to give me the gift card but no, he wanted money for it. Maybe I was being naive in thinking that he'd just give it to me but even so, he made it out as if he was doing me a favour when really, I was doing him a favour by giving him cash for the gift card he wasn't going to use. I thought it was a bit stingy but my parents don't agree?! OPINIONS

ffs, what a pri**. he should at least told you on the phone he wants to have the 35 Euros cash in return so you could have told him to f** off and not walking to stephens green. I hope you didn't do this deal...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

DramaQuee wrote: »
    As you seem already to believe you know everything, I would hate to disillusion you regarding the incorrect assertions you have made regarding the detail of this man and his redundancy etc. In any case it was all secondary to a very small story. I find this pushy attitude very offputting in Boards, do not carry on as if you are an authority on each aspect of my story, you are, as most humans, erroneous in some areas.

I will only answer the brash portion directed at me. Yes I know a lot about this person, I have known him for many years. I agreed to go on a DATE or two with him, but I have KNOWN him since I holidayed with my Grandmother here from when I was 18. He is a very good friend of the family and spoke freely to me. Perhaps with the intention of appearing wealthy or whatever. It really doesn't matter. I'm actually sick of people getting personal, trying to appear all-knowing when they haven't the foggiest who they are directing their incorrect assertions at. so I'm actually closing my account, and listening to real people I actually know.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Lukebray wrote: »
    I was in town today when I called my brother. I told him I was in Arnotts and he said "I have €35 left on my gift card and I'm not going to use it. Do you want it?". To which I said yes and walked all the way to Stephens Green where he asked for €35 cash in exchange. I was under the impression that he was going to give me the gift card but no, he wanted money for it. Maybe I was being naive in thinking that he'd just give it to me but even so, he made it out as if he was doing me a favour when really, I was doing him a favour by giving him cash for the gift card he wasn't going to use. I thought it was a bit stingy but my parents don't agree?! OPINIONS

I have no idea why your your parents or anyone else would NOT see your brothers behaviour as being the height of stinginess. Why on earth would anyone want to cough up 35 in cash for a gift card (that has an expiration date and can't be used in all of the departments in the shop) when they can just walk into the shop and buy whatever they want with cash instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Sparklygirl

Lukebro, yes your bro was seriously stingy and he totally took the p1ss by getting you to walk to him so you could effectively buy his gift card from him!

I know a lad who has a metal detector fitted to his shoe so he can find any change on the foot path as he walks along. He wouldn't buy a bus ticket or use a Taxi so he walks everywhere.

He reckons it's helped him find at least 7 euros in the last 2 years.

• Advertisement

I know a lad who has a metal detector fitted to his shoe so he can find any change on the foot path as he walks along. He wouldn't buy a bus ticket or use a Taxi so he walks everywhere.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Am I the only one who would have offered my brother some or all of the €35 rather than assuming it was a freebie?

miamee wrote: »
    Am I the only one who would have offered my brother some or all of the €35 rather than assuming it was a freebie?

At the very least I'd expect the poster to ask his brother what it would cost.

You'd expect the poster to know if the brother is stingey or not by now. They are both adults, have presumably grown up together and people generally don't become stingey overnight, so this shouldn't have come as a surprise - unless it was a long lost brother...

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

juan.kerr wrote: »

I know a guy who used to make up stories to impress people he didn't know on an internet forum...

Tonto86 wrote: »
    I know a guy who used to make up stories to impress people he didn't know on an internet forum...

Reminds me of my brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Is his name Plon?

Is his name Plon?

No, Rodney.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Grayson wrote: »

Brett killed a man with a trident.
    Where did he get a trident

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

A magnet would be much cheaper and saves you bending down ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

A magnet would be much cheaper and saves you bending down ;)

Doesn't stick to the €1/€2 coins :(

I swear I haven't tried this:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Boombastic wrote: »
    Doesn't stick to the €1/€2 coins :(
    I'm patenting using magnets to retrieve stuff down the backs of sofas.

You can use my idea for 10%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

This guy tried to charge me 10% for an idea that doesn't work, it involves using magnets to retrieve stuff from down the back of the sofa :P

• Registered Users Posts: 51,508 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Where did he get a trident

Found it with his metal detecting magnet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Culleeo

My mother was telling me that she got her hair done Christmas week. Cost €35 but being Christmas, she gave the woman €50. She has been using the same hairdresser for the last few years. This woman works from home.

She was heading on her Christmas party a few days later and was telling the hairdresser that she was going to go to a salon in town to get it blow dried the day of the party.

Her usual hairdresser told her not to and that she would call to my mothers house and do it for her. Her usual price is €10 for this so my mother had the €10 ready for when she finished.

She finished her hair so my mother handed her a bottle of wine and the €10. Hairdresser turns and says, it's actually gone up to €12. The mother was after giving her a €15 tip a few days before and handed her a bottle of wine with the €10. The miserable bitch. The mother handed her another €5 and kept her hand out for the €3 change out of principle.

I can't stand mean people. It's one of the worst traits a person can have.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Chunky.Monkey1

My mil stores open packets of meat/cheese in ziplock bags. When they are empty she washes them and hangs them on the line to dry. She also re uses tea bags. 3 or 4 cups are made out of the one bag!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Odelay

My mil stores open packets of meat/cheese in ziplock bags. When they are empty she washes them and hangs them on the line to dry. She also re uses tea bags. 3 or 4 cups are made out of the one bag!

Hang onto the wife! There will be a fortune there someday.........

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

30 maybe, not 25. Is he a younger or older brother?

So knocking 10 euro off the value would be 'too much'? ... the irony is that you posted that in the stingiest thread :pac:
    The youngest child has a right to take advantage of their older siblings if they choose.

You're 14 or something, right? :pac:

Not quite as stingy as most stories but a few weeks back a friend who I hadn't spoke to in years got in contact with me and we chatted a good bit. Over the next two weeks he stayed at mine 6 nights and during that time ate and drank my food. Now I had absolutely no problem with him doing so and far as I was concerned he was more than welcome to stay as long as he wanted. He asked me to go into the city with him for a bit one Saturday and I really wasn't too interested in the idea but after a bit of arm twisting I relented.

In town I grabbed a few things I needed and had 6 euro left till o got home as id left my atm card at home. My friend asked if I wanted to get some food so I suggested we try a place I like that does deals such as taco fries, burrito and drying for cheap. When we got there the deal of the day was 6.95 so I asked if he had the loan of a euro. He did a bit if jiggling around in his pockets and found a 2 euro coin. He stared at it for a bit and I repeatedly told him that if he didn't have the euro to spare it was fine. I told him I'd get him back when we went back to mine but He made a point of me counting out a euro and giving it to him before he'd hand over the 2 euro. Normally I'd tell the person they could keep it but on the day I just thought screw it and gave him the euro. Inside when he was paying he counted out 350 euro in 10 and 20 euro notes and asked for 50s in place of the smaller notes. At the time I thought how tight can you be but it was a fleeting one till about 5 minutes later when we were eating our food he repeatedly told me "we'll head back to yours after this so you can get your card and get my euro". We had planned to get a few pints but after witnessing his cheapness that wasn't going to happen.

i gave him his euro back at mine and he headed into town for a few pints while I went to meet some of my friends. Bumped into him later that night and he was drinking with a right crowd of scum bags who he asked if he could bring back to mine as they wanted a few more beers and "you have two crates in your fridge we can drink". Told him he could fcuk right off and I haven't spoke to him since. Back home ATM and I've heard a load of stories of how people no longer talk to him over how big a deal he made over lending the price of a pint and pretty much walking people home to ensure he got it back. Sad to see someones cheapness cost them friends and I know I should proberly give him a second chance but there's just something so annoying about someone who makes such a big deal over a euro coin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭SRFC

Seems to be in this day and age kindness is mistaken for weakness some people forgot themselves most on this thread described should be put down absolute parasites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Jaysus how could I forget this:

My mate gave me a thermal flask thing for Christmas last year. It was grand like but it had a rubber grip band thing that looked a little weird until I eventually used it and washed it and discovered that the band was inside out.

The hidden side of the band had a printed graphic from some local recruitment agency. My Chrimbo present was a free corporate promo flask:D

Love that guy though. Thriftiest guy I've ever met but he'd give you the shirt off his back if you asked so all is forgiven!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement