Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Patchy~ wrote: »
    And non-stingy people don't take magnets and try to slow the ESB meter down. Wow, I can't believe you're trying to say he's not stingy.

And Stingy people don't pay for someone elses car or there heating oil. If he was mad about electricity how come he let his daughter take showers there and do all her washing there. He drives a crock of a car while he bought his daughter a new car?

I smell something called Bull Sh** here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

areyawell wrote: »

And Stingy people don't pay for someone elses car or there heating oil. If he was mad about electricity how come he let his daughter take showers there and do all her washing there. He drives a crock of a car while he bought his daughter a new car?

I smell something called Bull Sh** here
    His daughter is obviously a little manipulative btich that has daddy wrapped around her little finger

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Dtp79 wrote: »
    His daughter is obviously a little manipulative btich that has daddy wrapped around her little finger

This is out of line, I think I should clarify some points here.

My father is actually very decent but can be incredibly stingy in areas too, I'd say he penny wise, pound foolish in that he watches the small trivial things to point of absolute annoyance but is very decent in other areas and even charitable also.

This is a thread about stingy things and stingy people and I was only referencing some things which my father does which I find hilarious and can be annoying at times. eg. If he was with my mother out on a drive he'd give her a tenner to go into the shop but tell her wanted nothing, then as soon as she'd have a packet of sweets opened he'd be bumming sweets etc. This drives my mother insane and I think he does it to wind her up. Anytime ticket sellers or charity people calls around he'd buy €20 of tickets no problem and throw my mothers name down too as according to him, "She has more luck" I won €500 this way on a ticket he bought for me.

He refers to himself as "very decent" which he is but he does so many small stingy things that it is hilarious. He is over 60 and has some similar traits to Victor Meldrew, this year he and my mother went on a weekend break which cost him around €300 as it was a posh hotel. That afternoon I got a phonecall from him that he had gotten lost somehwhere up in Laois, he went trying to avoid the road-toll!! :D:D

I wouldn't say my mother is long suffering, and they are great together but it is hilarious some of things my fathers does. He has paid for lots of things for me too, giving me several thousand when I was younger to go travelling, bought me my first car and paid the massive insurance too, but he wouldn't spend a penny on himself and is so stingy on the small trivial things. He often says, mind the pennys and the pounds will look after themselves.

My sister is stingy yes but this is to do with her being terrible with money, she pays the rent despite her BF having a decent income. She smokes and drinks alot too which doesn't help her financial situation. She doesn't save much money and is always fairly broke due to her stingy boyfriend. She tried hard to convince my father to buy her a house this year and he was all for it too due to their low prices at the moment.

My father is very wealthy but grew up in grinding poverty so he wanted to give her a helping hand. The thing is my sisters BF also has a nice stack of money but wouldn't spend it on a house and is trying to buy a farm something my sister wants my father to help him with and my father is also in agreement with this having land himself too.

My mother hates my sisters BF as he has a heavy drinking problem and won't allow any more large sums of money be given to her over this as she says he is bad for her and I actually agree. The same lad has plenty money but is a total waster due to the drink, its s shame as he has massive potential with a good income but wastes his life in the pub.

To sum it up my fathers does stingy things but had a heart of gold, my sister is an idiot and stinginess is a result of her own mismanagement and bad relationship decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

Stinicker wrote: »

This is out of line, I think I should clarify some points here.

My father is actually very decent but can be incredibly stingy in areas too, I'd say he penny wise, pound foolish in that he watches the small trivial things to point of absolute annoyance but is very decent in other areas and even charitable also.

This is a thread about stingy things and stingy people and I was only referencing some things which my father does which I find hilarious and can be annoying at times. eg. If he was with my mother out on a drive he'd give her a tenner to go into the shop but tell her wanted nothing, then as soon as she'd have a packet of sweets opened he'd be bumming sweets etc. This drives my mother insane and I think he does it to wind her up. Anytime ticket sellers or charity people calls around he'd buy €20 of tickets no problem and throw my mothers name down too as according to him, "She has more luck" I won €500 this way on a ticket he bought for me.

He refers to himself as "very decent" which he is but he does so many small stingy things that it is hilarious. He is over 60 and has some similar traits to Victor Meldrew, this year he and my mother went on a weekend break which cost him around €300 as it was a posh hotel. That afternoon I got a phonecall from him that he had gotten lost somehwhere up in Laois, he went trying to avoid the road-toll!! :D:D

I wouldn't say my mother is long suffering, and they are great together but it is hilarious some of things my fathers does. He has paid for lots of things for me too, giving me several thousand when I was younger to go travelling, bought me my first car and paid the massive insurance too, but he wouldn't spend a penny on himself and is so stingy on the small trivial things. He often says, mind the pennys and the pounds will look after themselves.

My sister is stingy yes but this is to do with her being terrible with money, she pays the rent despite her BF having a decent income. She smokes and drinks alot too which doesn't help her financial situation. She doesn't save much money and is always fairly broke due to her stingy boyfriend. She tried hard to convince my father to buy her a house this year and he was all for it too due to their low prices at the moment.

My father is very wealthy but grew up in grinding poverty so he wanted to give her a helping hand. The thing is my sisters BF also has a nice stack of money but wouldn't spend it on a house and is trying to buy a farm something my sister wants my father to help him with and my father is also in agreement with this having land himself too.

My mother hates my sisters BF as he has a heavy drinking problem and won't allow any more large sums of money be given to her over this as she says he is bad for her and I actually agree. The same lad has plenty money but is a total waster due to the drink, its s shame as he has massive potential with a good income but wastes his life in the pub.

To sum it up my fathers does stingy things but had a heart of gold, my sister is an idiot and stinginess is a result of her own mismanagement and bad relationship decisions.
    Sorry for slagging off your family mate. You didn't put them in the nicest light in the original post to be fair!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭DramaQuee

Please more writing Stinicker, you have a real gift, with or without the stinge. I could read your stuff all night, I felt I knew them already before your second post, you should write a play or something :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Hurmf

Work in a hotel so could write a book on stingy things I've come across:

The woman who asks for a coffee with a jug of frothed hot milk (essentially a cappuccino @ price of a regular coffee).
    People who get a pot of tea for 1 & asks for 2 or 3 cups.
    The old woman who asks for half portion dinners with extra veg & 4 scoops of potato (sometimes extra meat!). Eh that's bigger than a full portion!
    The couple who got a deal on a hotel room for €22pp a night with 50% off on meal complaining it was a tad expensive.
    The group of women who pay for a sandwich & ask for 8 or 9 fillings.

So many more I can't think of right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,508 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Victor wrote: »
    My expenditure to date on this Christmas: €12. :)

I know a few people who can "shop" like that too.:D

Welcome to Celebrity Ready Steady Cook. So Anto from Dublin, you had £5 to spend...what's in your bag?
    "Organic chicken, smoked salmon, rice, stock, wine, scallops, onions, garlic, stilton, brie, goats-cheese and 3 bottles of Cava and a bottle of Blue Nun and I have £2.74 left over".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Roisy7

I was in boylesports in Galway once where they used to hand out sandwiches and free coffee, not very nice either but always made me laugh as there was always a few people in there who had no interest in gambling but wanted a free cuppa/sandwich.

I strolled in one Saturday around lunchtime and there was a well dressed family of six, granny and all, sitting around a table, blatantly no interest in their surroundings, tucking into tea and sandwiches....

I think they've stopped giving them out a while back..

Used to work in Paddy Powers and we got a coffee machine, some days the customers were just there for the (rotten) coffee and tea.

One customer used to say stuff like "Oh I was in Boylesports in (next big town), they have sandwiches, wouldn't ye think ye'd do that?"

As if the place wasn't dirty enough with half-drunk cups of tea and wrappers from Supermacs....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭weemcd

Roisy7 wrote: »
    Used to work in Paddy Powers and we got a coffee machine, some days the customers were just there for the (rotten) coffee and tea.

One customer used to say stuff like "Oh I was in Boylesports in (next big town), they have sandwiches, wouldn't ye think ye'd do that?"

As if the place wasn't dirty enough with half-drunk cups of tea and wrappers from Supermacs....

yeah we did think of that, but then realised very quickly it would bring in no extra money and I'd have to look at your stinkin ass even more than I already have to. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

RainyDay wrote: »
    Still, the idea of having to share a room for a multi-billion dollar company really pissed me off - just one of the many reasons why I don't work there anymore.

The (dot.com) US company I worked for in the late nineties flew about 20 of us consultants out business class to San Francisco for the annual customer conference, where we had to share two-to-a-room to "save money".

Later on when the market was turning the CFO for the same company used to fly over to the UK in a personal jet and lecture us on reducing expenses and how times were getting difficult. The irony was lost on no-one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Was in Cork one night and ventured out for a few pints on my own. Got chatting to two German fellas. We switched pubs and I got a round in. The craic was good and we were having a right laugh. We got through those and one of them got the second round in. After a while I noticed one fella was nursing his pint a bit but mine was empty and the other guys was empty. He eventually got through it and nothing much was happening so I said your round mate.

Both of them then said that I got the first round and they jointly paid for the second round! So it was my turn again. Haha. Pair of f***ers. I got my own and they discussed it between themselves for a bit before saying goodbye and leaving.
    They had been having a great night too. Bloody Germans.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Pj! wrote: »
    Was in Cork one night and ventured out for a few pints on my own. Got chatting to two German fellas. We switched pubs and I got a round in. The craic was good and we were having a right laugh. We got through those and one of them got the second round in. After a while I noticed one fella was nursing his pint a bit but mine was empty and the other guys was empty. He eventually got through it and nothing much was happening so I said your round mate.

Both of them then said that I got the first round and they jointly paid for the second round! So it was my turn again. Haha. Pair of f***ers. I got my own and they discussed it between themselves for a bit before saying goodbye and leaving.
    They had been having a great night too. Bloody Germans.

I was talking to a bus driver who regularly drives the bus tours in Kerry. He said the Germans are notorious for not spending a cent on them. They bring packed lunches and only do the events that are part of the tour package.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Thats why the Germans now own Europe lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

The irony was lost on no-one.

Well, almost no-one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭cazzzzz

Drives me mad when customers come in and complain about the 22c GOVERNMENT levy on plastic bags. There is literally nothing we can do about the price of them. They come in, buy a horseload of shopping and then look around seeing what they can possibly use to pack their shopping with and then give out to you for the cost of the bags. People please; bring your own bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

A bloke I know had a load of rubbish he wanted rid of. Too mean to pay for a skip to clear it away, decided to dig a huge hole in his back garden and bury the lot.

Spent the day digging, fired in the rubbish and started re-filling the hole. He couldn't figure out why he had loads of topsoil left over! He ended up getting a skip to carry away the topsoil :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭guppy

The (dot.com) US company I worked for in the late nineties flew about 20 of us consultants out business class to San Francisco for the annual customer conference, where we had to share two-to-a-room to "save money".

Later on when the market was turning the CFO for the same company used to fly over to the UK in a personal jet and lecture us on reducing expenses and how times were getting difficult. The irony was lost on no-one.

Mine is stinginess from the other side. I work in public sector (I'm not hugely paid, don't panic!) and when I first started there two people who had been there years were giving out about someone who was there 2 months before me.

They were all over in the US working. Each of them got rate-per-night expenses. The 2 who were there longer (they were working in the place 8 years each by then) wanted the newbie to share a room so everyones expenses went further. They were disgusted she wouldn't do it and got her own room!

I remember thinking "you couldn't pay me enough to poo where 2 other people can hear me"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

Quazzie wrote: »
    I was talking to a bus driver who regularly drives the bus tours in Kerry. He said the Germans are notorious for not spending a cent on them. They bring packed lunches and only do the events that are part of the tour package.

the americans are worse, they split a sandwitch between 4 sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Worked in the pub trade for years and a well known TV presenter was a semi-regular in a place I worked. Came in one Sunday with the missus and three kids for dinner and the lounge girl comes up to the bar and orders a pint of beer and a soft drink. I asked her to double check when she went back to the table but that was all they wanted. They had brought in their own soft drinks for the kids.

Same cvnt had a milestone birthday in the function room and there were loads of celebs there for a buffet meal. He came up the next day looking for the balloons (which we had already fvcked out) and asked was there any left over food from the buffet that he could take home with him.

D1ckhead. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Worked in the pub trade for years and a well known TV presenter was a semi-regular in a place I worked. Came in one Sunday with the missus and three kids for dinner and the lounge girl comes up to the bar and orders a pint of beer and a soft drink. I asked her to double check when she went back to the table but that was all they wanted. They had brought in their own soft drinks for the kids.

Same cvnt had a milestone birthday in the function room and there were loads of celebs there for a buffet meal. He came up the next day looking for the balloons (which we had already fvcked out) and asked was there any left over food from the buffet that he could take home with him.

D1ckhead. :mad:

My curiosity has once again been tickled...

Would it be bad form to name the stinge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Aeternitas

the mean bastard charged him 4p for 2 or 3 cloves

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Eathrin wrote: »
    My curiosity has once again been tickled...

Would it be bad form to name the stinge?

I'm not gonna name him but I will tell you that he does the weather. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭veryangryman

MCMLXXV wrote: »

I'm not gonna name him but I will tell you that he does the weather. ;)
    I guess you could call him the king of stinge ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

cazzzzz wrote: »
    Drives me mad when customers come in and complain about the 22c GOVERNMENT levy on plastic bags. There is literally nothing we can do about the price of them. They come in, buy a horseload of shopping and then look around seeing what they can possibly use to pack their shopping with and then give out to you for the cost of the bags. People please; bring your own bags.

Tell them to go buy a roll of handled small bin bags for a euro. Get about 20 bags then

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

People who need to get sick and puke into a pint and then continue to drink it as "its a waste of beer"

• Registered Users Posts: 51,508 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

areyawell wrote: »
    People who need to get sick and puke into a pint and then continue to drink it as "its a waste of beer"

Oh my God, that turned my stomach :eek:

I don't know if you'd call this stinge as much as piggery:
    I went to a wedding with a guy and he put his suit jacket over the back of a vacant chair beside us at the table. When the food arrived, he told the waitress" that lad", indicating the empty chair, "was at the toilet". So he got, and ate 2 of each course not to mention the wine. (And I got myself home by 9pm before I was sick). So stupid too when he could have asked for seconds and no-one would have batted an eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Birdster

DramaQuee wrote: »
    I went to a wedding with a guy and he put his suit jacket over the back of a vacant chair beside us at the table. When the food arrived, he told the waitress" that lad", indicating the empty chair, "was at the toilet". So he got, and ate 2 of each course not to mention the wine. (And I got myself home by 9pm before I was sick). So stupid too when he could have asked for seconds and no-one would have batted an eye.

Oh......my..........god....that is disgusting!! I would have been mortified to be associated with him.

It's both...stingy and piggery....Pingery :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

DramaQuee wrote: »
    Is this the same lad as before?

• Advertisement

haha Squeakey no it wasn't!! I wondered, after a few drinks if I'd told this story before a few pages back :D:D No, this was an Irish fella this time. Booted it home without him, I wasn't making the same mistake twice, I will NEVER go anywhere with a miserable ***k again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement