Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

DramaQuee wrote: »
    haha Squeakey no it wasn't!! I wondered, after a few drinks if I'd told this story before a few pages back :D:D No, this was an Irish fella this time. Booted it home without him, I wasn't making the same mistake twice, I will NEVER go anywhere with a miserable ***k again.
    Bad news comes in threes Drama, you'll have another story for us soon!:D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

the americans are worse, they split a sandwitch between 4 sometimes.

Probably a big sandwich knowing the Septics though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭DramaQuee

Actually I have another one.

This guy was asking me out a few months ago, and I said ok. I was sort of taking a break from dating but I thought oh well, he seems alright. We went out once and he said he'd like to take me out shopping the next day (he told me he had just got a civil servant handshake). Anyway on the day, I didn't know what to make of this shopping expedition and didn't want to go to town on the guy. It was sort of uncomfortable, and I didn't really see anything I liked in the clothes shops. But in Dunnes I picked up 3 plastic boxes (roughly the size of a lunch box) which you can put shoes in, worth 3.50 each. Mr Big Spender picked up 3 packs of biscuits worth 35 cent each and a drink. When we got to the cash register I was putting the boxes up and he said to the girl, Take for our things separately!!! But he got his chip for the carpark validated on MY purchase because I was the one who spent over 10 euro.

That is THREE, and if I see another miserable sh!t I'm shooting him.

Actually I have another one.

This guy was asking me out a few months ago, and I said ok. I was sort of taking a break from dating but I thought oh well, he seems alright. We went out once and he said he'd like to take me out shopping the next day (he told me he had just got a civil servant handshake). Anyway on the day, I didn't know what to make of this shopping expedition and didn't want to go to town on the guy. It was sort of uncomfortable, and I didn't really see anything I liked in the clothes shops. But in Dunnes I picked up 3 plastic boxes (roughly the size of a lunch box) which you can put shoes in, worth 3.50 each. Mr Big Spender picked up 3 packs of biscuits worth 35 cent each and a drink. When we got to the cash register I was putting the boxes up and he said to the girl, Take for our things separately!!! But he got his chip for the carpark validated on MY purchase because I was the one who spent over 10 euro.

That is THREE, and if I see another miserable sh!t I'm shooting him.

Sounds perfectly feasible...

Birneybau wrote: »

I'm a good shot with a 2.2 Birney

• Advertisement

I'm a good shot with a 2.2 Birney

Should have studied more.

That's, like, a C.

Should have studied more.

That's, like, a C.

Is it the whiskey consumed (by me) or are you not making any sense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭gingernut125

Yes not that stingey, not the stingiest anyway.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

he'd like to take me out shopping the next day (he told me he had just got a civil servant handshake).
    What's a 'civil servant handshake'?

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

redundancy payment from the silly service?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

RainyDay wrote: »

No idea, but it's safe to assume it costs the taxpayer a chunk of change. And is probably pensionable.

guttenberg wrote: »
    redundancy payment from the silly service?
    No civil servant has been made redundant.
    juan.kerr wrote: »
    No idea, but it's safe to assume it costs the taxpayer a chunk of change. And is probably pensionable.

You should think about giving up on the Sunday Indo and the Daily Mail. They're really not good for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

No civil servant has been made redundant.

Or if they have then they have been re-hired on better terms with a full pension being drawn down to boot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

I once heard of a shop who paid their staff in vouchers, and then expected them to spend them there!!!

areyawell wrote: »
    People who need to get sick and puke into a pint and then continue to drink it as "its a waste of beer"

Good fcuk, you have some friends!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

When the food arrived, he told the waitress" that lad", indicating the empty chair, "was at the toilet". So he got, and ate 2 of each course not to mention the wine.

Sort of did this once for some extra desserts. :)

Was at a table with two girls whoose dates had cancelled at short notice. Ended up with 6 of us at a table with 8 chairs, so when they were handing out desserts we got 2 extra for the empty chairs and shared them out between us. The staff knew well what we were doing but didn't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Roisy7

newmug wrote: »
    I once heard of a shop who paid their staff in vouchers, and then expected them to spend them there!!!

Does it begin with "D" and end in "unnes"? That's what they get for their Christmas bonus....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I don't know if you'd call this stinge as much as piggery:
    I went to a wedding with a guy and he put his suit jacket over the back of a vacant chair beside us at the table. When the food arrived, he told the waitress" that lad", indicating the empty chair, "was at the toilet". So he got, and ate 2 of each course not to mention the wine. (And I got myself home by 9pm before I was sick). So stupid too when he could have asked for seconds and no-one would have batted an eye.
    It could have been worse. He could have asked for a doggy bag for the extra portions and made a total holy show of you! :pac:

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Or if they have then they have been re-hired on better terms with a full pension being drawn down to boot.

There's that oul Sunday Indo nonsense coming in again. As I mentioned, no civil servant has been made redundant, so the question of rehiring doesn't arise.

Hmmm, well your man got over 80k in the hand retiring from one civil servant job after 30 years THERE. And through the amazingly benevolent Irish system has been re-hired in the Government in a capacity I cannot divulge. So yes, he is in receipt of a pension and gets over 100k in his new job too. But this is only small fry compared to the more senior civil servants and our 'friends' in the Banks.

Fair play, the Irish are the most obedient, unquestioning taxpayers in the world, I've said it before and no doubt I will say it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

We could never answer that question, if we told you we would have to kill you:pac:

All we can say is it is a special type of gift from those taxpayer people, really generous people:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

areyawell wrote: »
    People who need to get sick and puke into a pint and then continue to drink it as "its a waste of beer"
    One of my friends took this to a different level.A girl that was out with us puked into a pint glass and one of the lads strolled over and downed it stating that it was only drink that came back up and that it was perfectly fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

there's stingy, and then there's scummy...i think your friend falls in the latter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

I think he did it more for the attention than anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

Squaredude wrote: »
    I think he did it more for the attention than anything else.

I'd say the girls were on him like flies!

Hmmm, well your man got over 80k in the hand retiring from one civil servant job after 30 years THERE. And through the amazingly benevolent Irish system has been re-hired in the Government in a capacity I cannot divulge. So yes, he is in receipt of a pension and gets over 100k in his new job too. But this is only small fry compared to the more senior civil servants and our 'friends' in the Banks.

OK, so it was an 'early retirement' situation - not a redundancy - two very different things. 80k is a fairly modest lump sum for anyone retiring after 30 years service in any organisation, public or private. Revenue allow a lump sum of 1.5 times salary, so this would suggest that his salary was somewhere around €50k on retirement, hardly a fortune after 30 years in the organisation.

As for the rehiring, you absolutely can divulge - the joy of the public sector is that the information is public. You won't be breaching any confidentiality by revealing details of the organisation that apparently retired people from €50k posts and took them back on at €100k. I know it's not fashionable to ask questions when one hears outrageous claims of public spending. The Sunday Indo has trained many of us to believe what we hear without any question.

But something stinks about this story. Do you normally get such detailed financial status information out of two dates? It seems like either he was spoofing you or you are spoofing us - take your pick.
    Odysseus wrote: »
    We could never answer that question, if we told you we would have to kill you:pac:
    I know conspiracy theories are great fun, but your claim is completely untrue. Public salaries and retirement packages are public domain information.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

I'm almost getting sick reading those vomit stories, sweet baby jesus. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Gotya

Patchy~ wrote: »
    I'm almost getting sick reading those vomit stories, sweet baby jesus. :eek:

At least have a pint glass to hand :D

O Do you normally get such detailed financial status information out of two dates? It seems like either he was spoofing you or you are spoofing us - take your pick.

As you seem already to believe you know everything, I would hate to disillusion you regarding the incorrect assertions you have made regarding the detail of this man and his redundancy etc. In any case it was all secondary to a very small story. I find this pushy attitude very offputting in Boards, do not carry on as if you are an authority on each aspect of my story, you are, as most humans, erroneous in some areas.

I will only answer the brash portion directed at me. Yes I know a lot about this person, I have known him for many years. I agreed to go on a DATE or two with him, but I have KNOWN him since I holidayed with my Grandmother here from when I was 18. He is a very good friend of the family and spoke freely to me. Perhaps with the intention of appearing wealthy or whatever. It really doesn't matter. I'm actually sick of people getting personal, trying to appear all-knowing when they haven't the foggiest who they are directing their incorrect assertions at. so I'm actually closing my account, and listening to real people I actually know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

As you seem already to believe you know everything, I would hate to disillusion you regarding the incorrect assertions you have made regarding the detail of this man and his redundancy etc. In any case it was all secondary to a very small story. I find this pushy attitude very offputting in Boards, do not carry on as if you are an authority on each aspect of my story, you are, as most humans, erroneous in some areas.

I will only answer the brash portion directed at me. Yes I know a lot about this person, I have known him for many years. I agreed to go on a DATE or two with him, but I have KNOWN him since I holidayed with my Grandmother here from when I was 18. He is a very good friend of the family and spoke freely to me. Perhaps with the intention of appearing wealthy or whatever. It really doesn't matter. I'm actually sick of people getting personal, trying to appear all-knowing when they haven't the foggiest who they are directing their incorrect assertions at. so I'm actually closing my account, and listening to real people I actually know.

:eek: That escalated quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭The_Gatsby

I was in town today when I called my brother. I told him I was in Arnotts and he said "I have €35 left on my gift card and I'm not going to use it. Do you want it?". To which I said yes and walked all the way to Stephens Green where he asked for €35 cash in exchange. I was under the impression that he was going to give me the gift card but no, he wanted money for it. Maybe I was being naive in thinking that he'd just give it to me but even so, he made it out as if he was doing me a favour when really, I was doing him a favour by giving him cash for the gift card he wasn't going to use. I thought it was a bit stingy but my parents don't agree?! OPINIONS

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement