Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

bijapos wrote: »
    so I stopped at the toll on the M4 in Enfield and threw her out of the car along with her bags unless she paid the €100, she coughed it up quick enough.

Get in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I was at a party yesterday, met up with a stingy cow who is friends with friends and whom I regrettably meet fairly often, but she is someone who I tend to avoid like the plague because of her renowned stinginess.

Yesterday was a prime example, she shows up at the Bar-B-Q with a half pound pack of cheap sausages, nobody ate them so she took them home. she also arrived with a cheap bottle of wine that had been previously opened, then proceeded to drink and eat all around her, got sick and came back for more.

Late in the evening she gave me a bollocking about not offering her a lift to the funeral of a mates father who passed away 3 weeks ago. His removals were on the Friday and the burial on the Saturday, a few people drove down from Dublin on Friday and she took a lift with them, return Dublin to Galway, she never offered a penny for petrol. So I said I was working and could only make the burial on Saturday and and I asked her:

"What's the difference between going on Friday or Saturday, sure you got to express your sympathies, and you got there and back anyway".

Her reply:

"Yeah, but we just went there and back, we got no food as it was evening time, you got a dinner after the burial on Saturday, we actually had to buy our own food on the way back!"

"No, we didn't stay for food, had a pint in the pub with Martin and left, we got lunch in Athlone on the way back."

"Jesus, you some eejit that you didn't insist on getting a lunch."

She actually said this to a few people, seems her idea of going to a funeral is to get free food. One of her work colleagues said that she often does this, insists on permanently getting food after going to funerals of family of people she hardly knows.

Her stinginess is legendary, about 20 of us went to Westport for a weekend a couple of years ago, kitty was €100 a head to pay for the three houses, diesel, breakfast food and snacks. She came along with us, which I din't want, missed out on rounds all weekend and at the end of it when we were collecting the cash she said she didn't have the €100 even though I had seen her getting it out of the ATM in Westport. She said she'd give it back during the week which means never, so I stopped at the toll on the M4 in Enfield and threw her out of the car along with her bags unless she paid the €100, she coughed it up quick enough. She complains later that as my car was a diesel and more economical she should have to pay a bit less than those in the other cars.

A guy who grew up near her in Kilkenny used to bring her up and down at the weekends from where they were working in Dublin, literally door to door. She never offered him a cent or a pint. when he suggested it once her reply was that she shouldn't have to pay as she knows the way and can show him!

I fcuking hate the sight of her. It really is a psychological condition with some people.

What a truly vile and disgusting person. I am opposed to violence but I would love to punch the head off thia cünt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I was at a party yesterday, met up with a stingy cow who is friends with friends and whom I regrettably meet fairly often, but she is someone who I tend to avoid like the plague because of her renowned stinginess.

Yesterday was a prime example, she shows up at the Bar-B-Q with a half pound pack of cheap sausages, nobody ate them so she took them home. she also arrived with a cheap bottle of wine that had been previously opened, then proceeded to drink and eat all around her, got sick and came back for more.

Late in the evening she gave me a bollocking about not offering her a lift to the funeral of a mates father who passed away 3 weeks ago. His removals were on the Friday and the burial on the Saturday, a few people drove down from Dublin on Friday and she took a lift with them, return Dublin to Galway, she never offered a penny for petrol. So I said I was working and could only make the burial on Saturday and and I asked her:

"What's the difference between going on Friday or Saturday, sure you got to express your sympathies, and you got there and back anyway".

Her reply:

"Yeah, but we just went there and back, we got no food as it was evening time, you got a dinner after the burial on Saturday, we actually had to buy our own food on the way back!"

"No, we didn't stay for food, had a pint in the pub with Martin and left, we got lunch in Athlone on the way back."

"Jesus, you some eejit that you didn't insist on getting a lunch."

She actually said this to a few people, seems her idea of going to a funeral is to get free food. One of her work colleagues said that she often does this, insists on permanently getting food after going to funerals of family of people she hardly knows.

Her stinginess is legendary, about 20 of us went to Westport for a weekend a couple of years ago, kitty was €100 a head to pay for the three houses, diesel, breakfast food and snacks. She came along with us, which I din't want, missed out on rounds all weekend and at the end of it when we were collecting the cash she said she didn't have the €100 even though I had seen her getting it out of the ATM in Westport. She said she'd give it back during the week which means never, so I stopped at the toll on the M4 in Enfield and threw her out of the car along with her bags unless she paid the €100, she coughed it up quick enough. She complains later that as my car was a diesel and more economical she should have to pay a bit less than those in the other cars.

A guy who grew up near her in Kilkenny used to bring her up and down at the weekends from where they were working in Dublin, literally door to door. She never offered him a cent or a pint. when he suggested it once her reply was that she shouldn't have to pay as she knows the way and can show him!

I fcuking hate the sight of her. It really is a psychological condition with some people.

Does she actually have any friends?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

Her stinginess is legendary, about 20 of us went to Westport for a weekend a couple of years ago, .............

Is this one of the Flynns ? If so that explains a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Rezident

Despite a well-paid job, he wore the same tie in work every day for over five years I worked with him. Never bought or wore a suit, wouldn't be surprised if it was the same shirt.

Never once bought a round on a night out and came out regularly over the five years and would always ask for one in other peoples' rounds when anyone asked.

Would often not have any money in the (subsidised) canteen so someone else would pay (for the first couple of years). One day, he nearly choked to death in the canteen, we didn't know what to do, we were hitting him on the back but he was still choking. A guy from another table had done first-aid, grabbed him, Heimlich manouvre, possible saved his life. Our first-aider said knowingly in the pub after, 'I thought he might have bought me a pint for that one!'. He didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Eathrin wrote: »

This is the part I can never understand, why people even include these scabs in anything. When we moved into our house we had a housewarming/barbecue and all the invitees brought drink, food or a token gift except one couple from my wife's work (minted, multiple properties, new cars) who arrived with hands hanging and literally barged people out of the way and ploughed into the drink and food from the second they arrived.

As they lived close to us we also made the mistake of going with them for a drink one sunny afternoon. I bought the first round which we all polished off fairly quickly but we were all sitting there silently with virtually empty glasses for 15 minutes at least until he finally cracked under the pressure and opened his wallet. I often wonder if they would have taken another drink if I'd have offered. We made an excuse and left, and didn't go near them again.

One thing I've noticed is that these people don't ever have any shame in their behaviour. The guy from work I mentioned earlier was often told, directly to his face in public and in work, to f**k off and stop leeching off people when he tried his tricks but treated it as a joke.

SSE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

This is the part I can never understand, why people even include these scabs in anything. When we moved into our house we had a housewarming/barbecue and all the invitees brought drink, food or a token gift except one couple from my wife's work (minted, multiple properties, new cars) who arrived with hands hanging and literally barged people out of the way and ploughed into the drink and food from the second they arrived.

As they lived close to us we also made the mistake of going with them for a drink one sunny afternoon. I bought the first round which we all polished off fairly quickly but we were all sitting there silently with virtually empty glasses for 15 minutes at least until he finally cracked under the pressure and opened his wallet. I often wonder if they would have taken another drink if I'd have offered. We made an excuse and left, and didn't go near them again.

One thing I've noticed is that these people don't ever have any shame in their behaviour. The guy from work I mentioned earlier was often told, directly to his face in public and in work, to f**k off and stop leeching off people when he tried his tricks but treated it as a joke.

SSE

Without question they would have taken the second drink if you offered. Without question!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

I bought the first round which we all polished off fairly quickly but we were all sitting there silently with virtually empty glasses for 15 minutes at least until he finally cracked under the pressure and opened his wallet.

Could've been worse. My boyfriend and I went for a drink with a couple. BF bought four drinks, one for everyone, then when those were finished the female from the other couple went to the bar and came back with two drinks. One for her and one for her fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Without question they would have taken the second drink if you offered. Without question!!

I actually thought they were going to head off after the first one! I was tempted to order a large 50-year old Macallan or something to give him a coronary. That couple were on at least 150k a year between them in the early 00s too.

I guess it's just the way some people are and they aren't going to change. I really can't be bothered with people like that.

edit: forgot to mention that after we hadn't spoken to them for about two years they rang and asked if they could stay with us for a few days while their extension was being built! Err....let me think......

SSE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

Could've been worse. My boyfriend and I went for a drink with a couple. BF bought four drinks, one for everyone, then when those were finished the female from the other couple went to the bar and came back with two drinks. One for her and one for her fella.

What a pair of bastards :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Steven81 wrote: »
    The wife is pregnant at the minute and my mother made us a home made apple pie, now she would be the complete opposite to stingy before this but put it in the press before a friend arrived so she wouldnt have to give her any, think i got 2 slices while she ate the rest, she said it was the nicest thing she had eaten in ages
    Aren't you the stingy one, wanting more than two slices of something your wife was craving for :p

if it's the first grandchild and then it's a safe bet that the pie wasn't intended to be wasted on the likes of you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

What a truly vile and disgusting person. I am opposed to violence but I would love to punch the head off thia cünt.

Stand at the back of a very very very very long queue. When she showed up at the party yesterday there was an almost audible sigh of despair going around.
    psychward wrote: »
    Is this one of the Flynns ? If so that explains a lot.

No, we just went there for the weekend for a change, two of our mates were going to France working on contract for a couple of years so it all tied in.
    Eathrin wrote: »

She has housemates who have seemingly gotten used to her so they just put up with her. She is also a HR manager in a company where a few friends work so they put up with her. I hate her with a passion and have let her know it on several occasions.

She showed up at a Bar-B-Q in our gaff last year, loads of people there, three grills on the go, loads of food. Comes empty handed of course, ate loads and near the end of the evening she starts to pack uneaten food into bags (not a bag, the plural: bags). When asked what she is doing she said it's for her dog, then someone said.

"You don't have a dog?"
    "I'm getting one next week."
    "A puppy."
    "Eh..... yes".
    "Ah well he won't be able to eat that, we'll take it up to the Cats & Dogs Home in Rathfarnham." (Took the bag off her)

I thought she died a bit inside when the bag was taken off her. We split it amongst those who do have animals, everything was fecked in together so we couldn't eat it cold the next day ourselves.

She shared a house (4 together) with a girl I was going out with for a while, she would sit in the sitting room at night pretending to read so when the ESB or gas bill arrived she would try to pay 1/6th or 1/5th of it as she used less electricity than the others saying she was always downstairs in common areas and never in her room with the light on. also claimed not to watch the TV so she wouldn't have to pay electricity for that. She would wear the others down so much they would give in. problem was the house was a good price, excellent Landlord and in a good spot for work so the others put up with it.

She would bring up loads of veg from her farm on a Sunday evening, tell the others they could have some, then a month later try to knock the price of this off any major bills such as TV licence. Note that the veg was transported free from Kilkenny to Dublin in some one elses car (see post above).

One of the girls was working in Belfast for 3 days, she took an order of booze from the other girls for when she was coming back off the girls in the house, Miss Stinge went online, then gave her a shopping list for over €150 for stuff thats way cheaper in N.I. than here, she was politiely declined.

Ordered a small salad in a restaurant when a few of us went out to an Italian, then tried to get as much "to taste" off everyone else, took about 50% of my mates T-bone steak, when he tried to get it back she took a bite out of it then said "It's contaminated by my germs now" so he shouldn't have it back. I told her I'd stick the fcuking knife in her mouth if she tried the same on me, which kind of ruined the night for us all.

I could go on and on. I just despise the woman and all like her.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭blueyedson

Ordered a small salad in a restaurant when a few of us went out to an Italian, then tried to get as much "to taste" off everyone else, took about 50% of my mates T-bone steak, when he tried to get it back she took a bite out of it then said "It's contaminated by my germs now" so he shouldn't have it back. I told her I'd stick the fcuking knife in her mouth if she tried the same on me, which kind of ruined the night for us all.

laughed out loud at that hah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

Is she good looking?

I don't know why I even want to know this:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Memory Of 98

Once, on a train Journey from Dublin Heuston to Carlow, an elderly woman across from me asked for some tea off the travelling snack cart. But this was no ordinary tea I assure you. She paid for the cup of tea but asked for the tea bag to be left out, as she liked to apply it her own certain way. Before the stewardess could leave she called on her again claiming that her husband was partial to the odd half cup of hot water. The stewardess obliged and gave the husband the half cup of hot water. As soon as the stewardess was out of sight the old woman dipped the tea bag into her own paper cup for just a few seconds, followed by her husbands cup, making two cups of tea for the price of one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Is she good looking?

I don't know why I even want to know this:confused:

I played with the idea of asking that, didn't bother though as regardless of her good looks it would be spoilt by her attitude.

Still though....... is she hot? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

:D sounds like a scene from Alan Partridge!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Dan133269 wrote: »
    :D sounds like a scene from Alan Partridge!

remember he used to bring his own plate to the restaurant in travel tavern because it was bigger :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Over 1.1 million views... wow.

We've only gone and given the feckers that were the reason for this thread in the first place a million more ways they can continue to torment us all!

Had a house mate once that had her boyfriend living with her basically, which tbh, I didn't care about, was a big house, didn't bother anyone.

When it came to bills however, she tried to argue that she herself wasn't there for a month and should only pay a half-share, despite the fact her boyfriend was there the whole time and the rest of the time as well. She used the washing machine and dryer twice as much as anyone I've met in my life and was terrible for leaving stuff on after she was done with them, including the oven.

They moved a few doors up to the same room in an identical house soon after, probably in a huff over not getting their way. A friend was neighbours with them and used to make small talk over the garden fence during the summer. Heard they tried almost the exact same thing there.

They also tried to say that the bins were not their responsibility and that they wouldn't pay. When it was pointed out to them that the arrangements for it were made known before they took the room, they then tried to say that they didn't use it and got rid of their own rubbish...

I've never lived anywhere in my adult life where someone wasn't a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Rezident wrote: »

One day, he nearly choked to death in the canteen, we didn't know what to do, we were hitting him on the back but he was still choking. A guy from another table had done first-aid, grabbed him, Heimlich manouvre, possible saved his life. Our first-aider said knowingly in the pub after, 'I thought he might have bought me a pint for that one!'. He didn't.
    He probably didn't want to give up the food he had already paid for/ got for free!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

Went to college with a girl who had the stingest boyfriend I ever heard of.
    If he went to collect her after college he would ask her parents to give him petrol money wouldnt mind but it was only from athy to carlow he was traveling. Also remember her telling me that they went out for a drink with friends one night and she didnt really want to go as she had no money but the b/f presuaded her to go. anyway they got to the pub and the b/f bought himself a drink and left her there with none. really dont know why she put up with him.

the last I heard they were engaged.... love to see what type of ring he bought her!

Some shocking stories here, dont know how some people can lower themselves to scrounging so much at other peoples expense.

Having said that, cant help be amused thinking of some of the habits i sometimes have myself of being a bit stingy but not at other peoples expense ....

like hidin the odd butter on the tray in work canteen, or shovellin a sausage down the gob while fillin your plate..takin a nagin into concerts... shakin the last drop of petrol from the hose when fillin up ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

blueyedson wrote: »
    Having said that, cant help be amused thinking of some of the habits i sometimes have myself of being a bit stingy but not at other peoples expense ....

like hidin the odd butter on the tray in work canteen, or shovellin a sausage down the gob while fillin your plate...

So it's okay if it's at your employers expense? Or the canteen operator?

That's not stingy, that's worse...it's theft. No different to sticking a CD in your pocket when in HMV and walking out the door.

well strike me down...

technically your right

i wouldnt nik a cd and if i bought one that was faulty id return it....

many a shiite meal has been bought in the canteen and not returned for refund...most people dont bother..

a butter here or there is just evenin out the playin field

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

blueyedson wrote: »

many a shiite meal has been bought in the canteen and not returned for refund...most people dont bother..

a butter here or there is just evenin out the playin field

Why don't you skip the annoying middle man and just take your refund directly from the till ?

(yeah I like to keep people wound up:pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

There was a sweet shop next to our school when we were children. The Viking News on Barrack Street in Waterford for anyone that remembers.

Anyway the fella running it was a stingey old bastard. When I was a child I used to read the Beano and the Dandy most weeks, and sometimes they would come with a free packet of sweets or something sello-taped onto them. I remember one week I went in there and on the Beano it said "free packet of refreshers" or something like that and a little designated space on the front page where the packet of sweets were meant to be. I was only 8 or 9 but I knew exactly what had happened, so I took a closer look and sure enough you could see the little bits of damaged paper on every Beano where the shopkeeper had peeled off the sellotape. I then went to look at the refreshers at the counter and hey presto, a lot of them had little tears from where the sellotape had been peeled off them too. I said fcuk it, and said it to the fella who ran the place, asked him where the refreshers were because they were meant to come with the Beano, he just said "oh there's no free sweets with that comic" and when I pointed out the words "free packet of refreshers" he just said oh that's a mistake or something like that. Miserable old fcuker.

I actually got great consolation from the fact that a few years later when we were about 12/13, a lot of the lads used to go into the same shop and absolutely fleece it blind. It's not justifiable of course, and I never once stole anything from there myself, but I saw some of the lads with bagpacks full of magnums (literaly 20 - 25 magnums) and bars of chocolate that they would have stolen from there. When school finished, upwards of 20 lads would all go into the shop at the same time and it was impossible for him to stop everyone stealing. I suppose he got his come-uppence in the end! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Nyan Cat

i think the shop stealing the sweets stingy thing mustve been widespead! i remember the magazines used to have the blank free gift square where the gift was taped and it was always the sweets that were missing but other gufts would be there (toys etc) i thought it was kids nicking the sweets at the time. then one day i noticed there was a message on the free gift square saying if your free gift is missing.... yada yada. And i noticed the sweets stopped going missing en masse, just the odd one which i assume kids did steal.
    nowadays of course, the gifts are so often in bags.

psychward wrote: »
    Why don't you skip the annoying middle man and just take your refund directly from the till ?

(yeah I like to keep people wound up:pac:)

C'mon i have some scruples

Nyan Cat wrote: »
    i think the shop stealing the sweets stingy thing mustve been widespead! i remember the magazines used to have the blank free gift square where the gift was taped and it was always the sweets that were missing but other gufts would be there (toys etc) i thought it was kids nicking the sweets at the time. then one day i noticed there was a message on the free gift square saying if your free gift is missing.... yada yada. And i noticed the sweets stopped going missing en masse, just the odd one which i assume kids did steal.
    nowadays of course, the gifts are so often in bags.

Reminds me of being a kid goin shopping with the ma, i was maby 8 or 9, used to tear the tokens off the kellogs boxes to get the free kellogs cars and such.. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭codrulz

could I just say keep these coming some great stories!

only read to page 57 so far! :o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement