Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭cassElliot

this thread reminds me of a Podge and Rodge one-liner.......

........ he was so tight, he'd line his pockets with plastic to steal soup!
    :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

in all fairness, stinginess is one of the most annoying traits ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Is it stingy to ask your friend to hang onto your forgotten, half full 70cl bottle of captain morgan's that you accidentally left at their gaff after a party?

Like with most things, it depends on the situation. If your friend has supplied food, other drink etc then no, forfeit the drink you forgot.

If it's a casual gathering in a friends house, that happens regularly and rotates from house to house and everyone always supplies their own drink then I think it's fine to ask them to hold on to it for you.

However it is not ok to not mention it, secretly obsess about it, and then declare at the next event "I'm not paying/didn't bring anything/am taking your first born" because you got half a bottle of booze from me :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,161 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

ken wrote: »
    Your wrong about that. Stuff is priced as €x.99 because very few people would have that in change so the teller has to open the cash drawer to give change. It cuts down on staff just pretending to ring up an item and pocketing the cash. (or so i was told the first day i started working in a Dunnes Stores years ago).

Forget a hundred years of marketing theory, Ken on boards.ie knows the real reason for not rounding up prices...

No harm Ken, but I cant help but think of the old saying, "better to remain quiet and be thought a fool, than to speak up and remove all doubt".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

I work in a garage and you get people who have 1 or 2 cents change. Most of them say put it into the poor box which I do but you get the odd person who will get the 1 cent and put it back into their purse. I noticed its mostly women that do it.

I always wait for my 1 cent change and put in straight back into the wallet, just habit really. Is that not the norm?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

I always wait for my 1 cent change and put in straight back into the wallet, just habit really. Is that not the norm?!

No you penny pinching scrooge! That's why most shops have charity boxes with staff with bad backs from bending over putting pennies into them :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

ken wrote: »
    Your wrong about that. Stuff is priced as €x.99 because very few people would have that in change so the teller has to open the cash drawer to give change. It cuts down on staff just pretending to ring up an item and pocketing the cash. (or so i was told the first day i started working in a Dunnes Stores years ago).

Eh no, its because €1.99 sounds cheaper than €2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭im invisible

Tonto86 wrote: »
    Eh no, its because €1.99 sounds cheaper than €2
    but it is??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

I do too. They come in handy for when something comes to 4.02 then you can just give the 2 cents etc. Plus i'd feel like an arrogant cow if I did the whole "I don't need 2cents" and walked off thing. Don't take your pennies for granted. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭perri winkles

Love this thread!

I work in a hospital and part of my job is to give tea to all the old dears before bedtime. I was doing the rounds and came across a lady who didn't look too well but I asked her relatives would she like one anyway. Her miserly old son piped up "ah no, she wont have one but I will". I reply "sorry I can only give tea to patients"(we can't give to visitors because of health and safety. If they spill it on themselves for example, they could hold me accountable. Bit silly but them the rules)
    He says "well in that case she will have one, make it a full one" . I couldn't believe it, most who ask just accept that I cant give them out but this guy had no shame whatsoever pretending the cup was for his semi concious mother! :eek: Some people would do anything just to get something for free :confused:

Another relative stopped me the other day saying "love, you ran off without giving me my cup of tea" I say the usual it's only for patients. "well, she says, the least you could do is give me a cup of tea you wouldn't want to be hungry in this hospital I'm glad I'm not a patient you wouldn't be fat in this hospital blah blah! I just cut her off and told her if she was that desperate for one there was a canteen up the corridor.

This happens all the time too it really does baffle me why people would want a cup of not very nice hospital tea!? We give tea to relatives who have people in long term or if the patient is dying. But if you're only in for an hour visiting surely you can wait till you get home!?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Was remindend of one today : About 8 years ago one of the lads started dating a 20 year old. 6 months later and though we hardly know the girl, we all get invited to her birthday party. I got a card and agreed with the lads, that since we don't know her that well, we'd all (4 of us) just sign the card and throw a few quid in. I suggested €20, meaning €20 each, and put €20 into the envelope. To my surprise two of the lads gave me a fiver each and the other lad said he'd get me back later (and never did). I tried to argue that €20 between 4 working lads at the height of the boom without a mortgage between us was stingy, but they reckoned it was plently.

I hoped to quietly sneak in an extra €20 before we arrived at the party, so we could all look less stingy, but I was driving and one of the lads had the card. To make things more cringeworthy, the party turned out to be tiny and she opened the card straight away. She doesn't drink so I couldn't try and make it up to her by buying a few drinks either. She's still going out with my friend but we haven't been invited to her birthday since.

It's my birthday this weekend. I'm not expecting much....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Was remindend of one today : About 8 years ago one of the lads started dating a 20 year old. 6 months later and though we hardly know the girl, we all get invited to her birthday party. I got a card and agreed with the lads, that since we don't know her that well, we'd all (4 of us) just sign the card and throw a few quid in. I suggested €20, meaning €20 each, and put €20 into the envelope. To my surprise two of the lads gave me a fiver each and the other lad said he'd get me back later (and never did). I tried to argue that €20 between 4 working lads at the height of the boom without a mortgage between us was stingy, but they reckoned it was plently.

I hoped to quietly sneak in an extra €20 before we arrived at the party, so we could all look less stingy, but I was driving and one of the lads had the card. To make things more cringeworthy, the party turned out to be tiny and she opened the card straight away. She doesn't drink so I couldn't try and make it up to her by buying a few drinks either. She's still going out with my friend but we haven't been invited to her birthday since.

You should have told her the whole story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

we hardly know the girl, we all get invited to her birthday party.

Wouldn't call your mates stingy for not wanting to give €20 to someone they hardly know

To make things more cringeworthy, the party turned out to be tiny and she opened the card straight away.

Ignorance on her part.

She's still going out with my friend but we haven't been invited to her birthday since.

This makes her sound stingy.
    /QUOTE]

All in all, she seems like a biatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

What's wrong with getting €30 (a €20 and two €5's, right?) from the mates of your fairly new boyfriend whom you barley know?

I thought this story was gonna be about how stingy it was to invite four blokes you barely know to your birthday party, most likely in the hope of getting money. The fact that you
    haven't been invited to her birthday since.
    solidifies this theory IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

What's wrong with getting €30 (a €20 and two €5's, right?) from the mates of your fairly new boyfriend whom you barley know?

I thought this story was gonna be about how stingy it was to invite four blokes you barely know to your birthday party, most likely in the hope of getting money. The fact that you solidifies this theory IMO.

I read it that she got €20 and the lads paid the poster a €5 each (barring the lad that never bothered)

If you are not going to bother putting anything into the card (I am assuming that it was her 21st) then do not bother going. I am guessing that she invited the lads on belalf of her boyfriend, so that he would know people there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I thought this story was gonna be about how stingy it was to invite four blokes you barely know to your birthday party, most likely in the hope of getting money.

I think one of the lads kind of forced an invite out of her. We were all single at the time, but he goes from zero to desperate within 5 minutes of breaking up with someone. I think he begged an invite out of her to see if he could score with any of her friends, and she invited the rest of us out of politeness.

TBH I think the main reason we haven't been invited to any of her parties since is just that she's a very private person. She doesn't like big parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

stetyrrell wrote: »
    You can't fill an engine full of petrol for $20, it's obviously per person.

The level of intelligence sometimes is mind-boggling, even for AH :rolleyes:

Ah course you could the chamber in the engine is quiet small. as for the petrol tank that's a whole other story... :D

well unless you are in the right country, When I lived in the middle east a couple of years ago it cost about €10 to fill the tank

I have friends in Venezuela where fuel is subsidised, she fills her car for about €2.. crazy
    CiaranMT wrote: »
    You must be new here...

Nope, just don't live here.. look to the left, you will see 6 years.
    nothing like your thousands of posts in a couple of years, there is life outside of boards you know..

Just to clarify the $15.75 she worked out was per person. The trip was going to cost $63...but maybe I should introduce you to "Mary"... I think ye would have a lot in common!!!! :)

ha ha would love to meet her, I need to learn to be more stingy, as I always seem to be the one out of pocket for the opposite reasons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Rawz

I have a friend who works for a hotel and he told me a story once about how a family not only cleared the bathroom of the shampoos and soaps (I occasionally do this if the shampoo smells great) but also took the towels. When the bedmaking servicewoman entered the room she also saw that they must have stood on a chair and unscrewed the light bulbs and left with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

I work in a garage and you get people who have 1 or 2 cents change. Most of them say put it into the poor box which I do but you get the odd person who will get the 1 cent and put it back into their purse. I noticed its mostly women that do it. The men might take it off me and put it into the box themselves. There is 1 woman in particular who drives a vw toureg and she always puts the 1 cent into her purse. Maybe thats why she is driving that vehicle :confused:.

Just to add il never leave someone short their 1 cent change and keep it in the till but my oc-worker does it and it bugs the sh!t out of me :mad:. your change is your change no matter how small :).

To be fair, garages tend to be one of the few places where if you fill €20.02 or €50.03 they'll just ask you for the even figure (of course, makes sense). But most shops won't. I tend to use my debit card a lot so no change is involved - i fully expect them to take the full amount, even the extra 1 cent.

BUT - where I do pay cash, in whatever shop, I'll always wait for my change and always pocket it - whether it be 4.99 in coins or 1 cent. Is that stingy? Maybe.

If I want to give to charity, I will (and do) but I do want my change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

A friend of mine is like this. He is actually as tight as a camel's hole in a sandstorm. He won't spend money on normal things, but will piss money away on stupid, needless things (broken pool tables, cheap BB guns, etc.).

Another paradox of this bloke is that he is very vain and proud of his hair. Yet he will not allow a professional hairdresser near his hair. He cuts it himself (sometimes with hilarious results).

He will always be late in paying rent and bills, but is rumoured to have a big stash of money hidden somewhere, and is just too tight to spend any money. It would not surprise me if he rinsed out condoms to use them again.

Another friend of mine who I went to college with is like this too, but he has some form of an excuse (starving student). But he will NEVER leave a tip for waiting staff, barmen, etc. despite the fact that he worked as a waiter/barman for like 5 years and always bemoaned low tippers. Practice what you preach?

The classic one was in a restaurant in Dublin where we were eating. As we were leaving, the change on the table was about €3. Our waiter was excellent and professional and attentive (despite the place being very busy), so I felt he deserved more than a standard tip. I put a fiver with the change that was left, making it about €8 on the table between my fiver and the change. I stood up and walked off, asking my friend if he was coming. He said 'one sec' or something like that. I shrugged and walked on. I thought I had forgotten my phone, so I turned back.... just in time to catch him in the processes of picking up the tip to put in his pocket. I gave a little grin and shook my head. Red as a tomato and very sheepishly, he put the tip back, picked my phone up off the table and joined me.

For the rest of the day, I had a real sarcastic grin on my face and kept asking him questions like 'Are times really that tough?'. He had no answers for them. Fúckin stinge-meister.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

DazMarz wrote: »
    The classic one was in a restaurant in Dublin where we were eating. As we were leaving, the change on the table was about €3. Our waiter was excellent and professional and attentive (despite the place being very busy), so I felt he deserved more than a standard tip. I put a fiver with the change that was left, making it about €8 on the table between my fiver and the change. I stood up and walked off, asking my friend if he was coming. He said 'one sec' or something like that. I shrugged and walked on. I thought I had forgotten my phone, so I turned back.... just in time to catch him in the processes of picking up the tip to put in his pocket. I gave a little grin and shook my head. Red as a tomato and very sheepishly, he put the tip back, picked my phone up off the table and joined me.

For the rest of the day, I had a real sarcastic grin on my face and kept asking him questions like 'Are times really that tough?'. He had no answers for them. Fúckin stinge-meister.

I wouldn't have even been nice enough to make jokes about it, I'd be that annoyed! To me, that would be nearly as bad as taking the money right from your pocket. What a sneaky f*cker!

• Advertisement

You are mistaken if you think anybody is getting rich from boards.

Course they are. They all have mansions and live in D4. They made millions in the dot com bubble. I saw on in the internet one time. True story.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

"Dad, its cold in here."
    "Go stand in the corner"
    "Why?"
    "The corner is 90 degrees"

She seems like a bit of a b*tch. Tell your friend to dump her and get a new old doll.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

"Dad, its cold in here."
    "Go stand in the corner"
    "Why?"
    "The corner is 90 degrees"

Its stingy taking credit for peoples jokes in YLYL

http://omg.wthax.org/internet_memes_logic.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

DazMarz wrote: »
    A friend of mine is like this. He is actually as tight as a camel's hole in a sandstorm. He won't spend money on normal things, but will piss money away on stupid, needless things (broken pool tables, cheap BB guns, etc.).

Another paradox of this bloke is that he is very vain and proud of his hair. Yet he will not allow a professional hairdresser near his hair. He cuts it himself (sometimes with hilarious results).

He will always be late in paying rent and bills, but is rumoured to have a big stash of money hidden somewhere, and is just too tight to spend any money. It would not surprise me if he rinsed out condoms to use them again.

Another friend of mine is like this too, but he has some form of an excuse (starving student). But he will NEVER leave a tip for waiting staff, barmen, etc. despite the fact that he worked as a waiter/barman for like 5 years and always bemoaned low tippers. Practice what you preach?

Ye must all know each other here as that's about the 50th time that's been mentioned on this thread. Maybe 50 is exaggerating but wouldn't want to be stingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

garv123 wrote: »
    Its stingy taking credit for peoples jokes in YLYL

http://omg.wthax.org/internet_memes_logic.jpg
    I never said it happened to me!
    Someone posted the comic image on facebook.
    http://chzmemebase.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/internet-memes-logic.jpg
    chzmemebase.files.wordpress.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 AnIrondale

I have this one friend of mine who's the complete opposite. He works in a restaurant and drives a taxi p/t. Doesn't make that much a week but somehow seems to have loads of cash. He always buys the expensive crap in Tesco even though they always go out of date and I either have to eat them or throw them out. Just recently he bought a new car for nearly €20,000 even though he already has one. He buys all sorts of crap like DVDs and such all the time when they first come out rather than waiting a few weeks or months for the price to drop or buy them second hand. I guess he thinks he's above everyone and better than them even though I hear he's a lazy sh!t at his job and he sits on his ass most of the day when he's not working. He seems to get a kick out of burning money and is definitely spending more than he makes which begs the question; where does the money come from? I reckon he's a giggalo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

mayotom wrote: »
    Ah course you could the chamber in the engine is quiet small. as for the petrol tank that's a whole other story... :D

well unless you are in the right country, When I lived in the middle east a couple of years ago it cost about €10 to fill the tank

I have friends in Venezuela where fuel is subsidised, she fills her car for about €2.. crazy

Nope, just don't live here.. look to the left, you will see 6 years.
    nothing like your thousands of posts in a couple of years, there is life outside of boards you know..

ha ha would love to meet her, I need to learn to be more stingy, as I always seem to be the one out of pocket for the opposite reasons

You seem to be missing the point of the thread... Or the point of the original post you replied to, at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I've a really stingy aunt, actually a few of my dad's relatives are tight arses but she stands out. She's a good job and so does her husband, no mortgage and her adult children all pay rent. She came to a party in my parent's house on the Dart, fair enough, no drinking and driving. However, she spent the entire party trying to scab a lift home, asking everyone how they got there, how they were getting home and if they'd be able to give her a lift. My mum overheard her trying to persuade one guest to leave early just so she could get a free lift home. She gave her the name of the local taxi company and told her to sort herself out. The taxi fair would have been about a tenner. And she didn't even bring a bottle of wine, just a packet of out of date biscuits. We don't include her in anything any more, her husband is just as bad so together they'd do your head in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

The stingiest person in the world has to be the Pope, he has a €100 million chair and a €15 million stick thingy with a cross on it and he never gives anything to charity, he asks everyone else to give to charity, but refuses to himself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement