Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

This morning on Graffton St saw a homeless woman picking up coins she'd dropped out of her cup.

As she was gathering them a guy in a business suit walked by picked up a coin and continued walking,

Gave the girl €2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44,501 ✭✭✭✭Deki

My friend was at pharmacy window, talking to pharmacist and pulled her insurance card from wallet. A five dollar bill fell out between her feet, as the pharmacist continued to ask her questions she didn't bend down to reach it as it was between her feet. A hand came between her feet, reaching in front to snatch the bill. She expected to be handed the bill and was ready to thank whoever, but instead they ran off into the store. She yelled but they were gone. I told her maybe they needed it more than her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Deki wrote: »
    My friend was at pharmacy window, talking to pharmacist and pulled her insurance card from wallet. A five dollar bill fell out between her feet, as the pharmacist continued to ask her questions she didn't bend down to reach it as it was between her feet. A hand came between her feet, reaching in front to snatch the bill. She expected to be handed the bill and was ready to thank whoever, but instead they ran off into the store. She yelled but they were gone. I told her maybe they needed it more than her.

Sounds like theft instead of stinginess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Deki wrote: »

How big was the pharmacy??? Why wouldn't she just take off after them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Esel wrote: »
    ^ It was the piss-soaked 50c from the post above. You can get AIDS from sharing ketchup....

Didn't Aids come from Monkeys having sex with bottles of ketchup?

I seen it in a documentary once, it must be true.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44,501 ✭✭✭✭Deki

bijapos wrote: »
    Sounds like theft instead of stinginess.
    Yes I guess you're right. :(
    How big was the pharmacy??? Why wouldn't she just take off after them?
    Well she had all her stuff out - insurance cards , id and stuff at the pharmacy. and she was rather surprised - sort of a small town here and folks are usually neighborly. It's a big grocery store type place with smaller shops in the front - lots of aisles yo disappear into, no security though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ThePedantic

This caused my stomach to churn as regards human moral scruple,
    a woman I know suddenly became petulant after her daughter won a box of chocolate roses on a scratch-card and she demanded the money-value in return quite viciously, as her daughter wore braces. She could have just kept the chocolates herself as a gift for someone or as a snack to soothe the sorrowful situation! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

This caused my stomach to churn as regards human moral scruple,
    a woman I know suddenly became petulant after her daughter won a box of chocolate roses on a scratch-card and she demanded the money-value in return quite viciously, as her daughter wore braces. She could have just kept the chocolates herself as a gift for someone or as a snack to soothe the sorrowful situation! :rolleyes:

That's not really stingy, you can either have the chocolates or the money, personally, I would take the money too, you get 8euro in cash or a box of chocolates worth 5euro, take the money, buy the chocolates and you still have 3euro change. The reason they give 8euro cash is because the price of the chocolates will vary in different shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That's not really stingy, you can either have the chocolates or the money, personally, I would take the money too, you get 8euro in cash or a box of chocolates worth 5euro, take the money, buy the chocolates and you still have 3euro change. The reason they give 8euro cash is because the price of the chocolates will vary in different shops.
    Uh, I think the point is that the daughter won the card, not her mother, so she can pick whatever the hell she wants.

seamus wrote: »
    Uh, I think the point is that the daughter won the card, not her mother, so she can pick whatever the hell she wants.

My bad, I should have read the post properly before I commented :D

Stingy bitch :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ThePedantic

But being clear-cut, does one not simply win the chocolates and not the cash value? I believe this laid the basis for the theme of the ticket in question as such. For instance, one scratches a lottery ticket and wins a free ticket as a prize, I feel one shouldn't be allowed to decide "I want the euro or so instead". Rant finished.

But being clear-cut, does one not simply win the chocolates and not the cash value? I believe this laid the basis for the theme of the ticket in question as such. For instance, one scratches a lottery ticket and wins a free ticket as a prize, I feel one shouldn't be allowed to decide "I want the euro or so instead".

I agree with you because it defeats the purpose of a "free ticket" or "chocolates" if you can get the value of the free ticket or chocolates in cash, but you can get the value of the ticket in cash.

When a winning ticket is scanned, a receipt is issued which states the value of the win so if you have won chocolates, the receipt will state that you have won 8euro, or if it is a free ticket worth 2 euro, receipt will state 2euro therefore giving the customer the option of the free ticket or the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

A relative is ill at the moment in the UK, his family are staying in accom at the hospital - basically family members can pay a one off "deposit" of £20 per room to stay there as long as they need to. It's a nice idea and the accommodation is lovely I'm told. Recently however, one couple insisted on getting their measly £20 back at the end! How stingy can you get? Most people wouldn't bother (after all how much would a hotel/B&B cost per NIGHT?). Not to mention that the place is funded by charity so of course any unclaimed £20s go to the charity. You'd think it'd be the least of people's worries...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭veryangryman

stinkle wrote: »
    A relative is ill at the moment in the UK, his family are staying in accom at the hospital - basically family members can pay a one off "deposit" of £20 per room to stay there as long as they need to. It's a nice idea and the accommodation is lovely I'm told. Recently however, one couple insisted on getting their measly £20 back at the end! How stingy can you get? Most people wouldn't bother (after all how much would a hotel/B&B cost per NIGHT?). Not to mention that the place is funded by charity so of course any unclaimed £20s go to the charity. You'd think it'd be the least of people's worries...

THANK GOD! Thought this thread was gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

A very well off aunt doesn't use her own hot water for baths/showers, instead uses the local muni facility for free, as she's a pensioner, and the usual money saving things like 'call me' txts. She and her late husband started poor, so in a way it's fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 fuff

I once had a housemate who unplugged the Glade plug-in air freshener when she left the house and took it with her - even when she was running down to the shop. Wouldn't want me to steal literally fractions of pennies worth of fragranced air on her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

fuff wrote: »
    I once had a housemate who unplugged the Glade plug-in air freshener when she left the house and took it with her - even when she was running down to the shop. Wouldn't want me to steal literally fractions of pennies worth of fragranced air on her!
    I HATE those things.

I break them wherever I see them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭nicechick!

Now that is just plain weird!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭emul8ter25

My father-in-law has refused to pay the bin tax ever since it came into effect all those years ago, so he has no rubbish bin.

Instead, he saves all the 1 liter milk cartons and stuffs all his trash into those, which just happen to fit perfectly into the little round holes of the trash bins around the estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

emul8ter25 wrote: »
    My father-in-law has refused to pay the bin tax ever since it came into effect all those years ago, so he has no rubbish bin.

Instead, he saves all the 1 liter milk cartons and stuffs all his trash into those, which just happen to fit perfectly into the little round holes of the trash bins around the estate.

The man's a frickin genius!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

emul8ter25 wrote: »

That is just pure Dave Gorman genuis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Lad i know bought a printer and after taking it home he took out the cartriges and went back to the shop saying there were no cartriges in the box. Got a replacement printer there and then. (Theft really, i know)

Another lad charges his phone in work so he doesn't have to charge it at home! It's an older type phone that lasts nearly a week on a charge. Honestly, how much saved?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

You should have charged her for the extra electricity it used.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

just whip out the fuse on the thing when she is not looking,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Irishgalclare

A good few years ago my son made friends with a lad at school who was new to the area. I invited him over to play one afternoon and called to collect him. His mother greeted me at the door wearing a heavy coat and a scarf - she invited me in for a coffee, but I declined thinking she was on her way out. However, when I returned couple of hours later, she again answered the door in the same clothes.....
    This time, I went in for the coffee. She told myself and my son not to take our coats off because the house was cold - I assumed the heating had broken down and sympathised with her. "Oh no" said she "I don't put the heat on until Tim is due home. Oil is so expensive, you know" - Tim being her hubby - recently appointed manager in one of the big three banks in our town!! And this was well pre recession - I'm talking about ten years ago.:confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭FetchTheGin

A good few years ago my son made friends with a lad at school who was new to the area. I invited him over to play one afternoon

Giggedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Giggedy.

Dear Diary.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

My Mum went to some Buffet\Restaurant type place in Dublin, Brown Thomas?

She's sitting beside someone (that she doesn't know..) who's dressed up to the nines, a certain accent, P's & Q's.. polite idle banter.

Food served. Woman finishes plate then starts giving out about the food, which is a bit.. difficult to itemise\target the problem food items, as most of it, except a few chips, are inside her!

Ten minute 'tantrum' from a person in their late 50's/early 60's, dripping in jewelry and branded clothing.. My Mum is trying to sink into the furniture at this point.

Person refuses to pay ..and she gets rewarded for her tantrum, Restaurant\Buffet don't push for payment. Person leaves.

Server aknowledges that my Mum wasn't with her and they have a bit of a laugh about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

One weekend a large group of us went paintballing so we organised convoys of cars. I picked up 3 lads from their respected houses and drove from Cork city to a woodland an hour west of Limerick city and then drove the same 3 lads from the woods to Limerick city where we went out for the night.

The next morning after a full irish, I had to pay 10e for parking and one of the lads said he'd get this, i said thats a nice offer and let him pay when the other two showed up and offered me a 5er between them (their split on the parking), I said there was no need.

Finally I drove back to Cork city, stopping once to get €60 petrol. Lads in the other convoy stopped also and as their driver went in to pay the other lads put money into the ashtray for him to find later. My passengers did not.

Finally I dropped the lads back to cork and the lad who offered me the €5 was going to get the bus to his folks home but I thought I should see my folks too and gave him another 50 mile lift to West Cork, dropped him right to his door and he said, 'Thanks for that' and left.

Out of not sounding stingy I didnt say anything but I felt that after driving people over 300 km that they could have least thrown me a tenner each.
    Am i the stingy one or are they?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

One weekend a large group of us went paintballing so we organised convoys of cars. I picked up 3 lads from their respected houses and drove from Cork city to a woodland an hour west of Limerick city and then drove the same 3 lads from the woods to Limerick city where we went out for the night.

The next morning after a full irish, I had to pay 10e for parking and one of the lads said he'd get this, i said thats a nice offer and let him pay when the other two showed up and offered me a 5er between them (their split on the parking), I said there was no need.

Finally I drove back to Cork city, stopping once to get €60 petrol. Lads in the other convoy stopped also and as their driver went in to pay the other lads put money into the ashtray for him to find later. My passengers did not.

Finally I dropped the lads back to cork and the lad who offered me the €5 was going to get the bus to his folks home but I thought I should see my folks too and gave him another 50 mile lift to West Cork, dropped him right to his door and he said, 'Thanks for that' and left.

Out of not sounding stingy I didnt say anything but I felt that after driving people over 300 km that they could have least thrown me a tenner each.
    Am i the stingy one or are they?

What's the relevance of the full Irish?

Ps. Are their houses mansions or something to be respected?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement