Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 BuachaillAbroad

I used live wth 3 other guys.

In August, 1 of the guys (An Aussie) was leaving to go to Japan for work

1 of flatmates (Another Irish) asked the Aussie to pay for his share of the going away drinks!!
    Only came to about an extra €12 or something small each!!

I paid for the Aussie: thought that was a bit harsh to pay for your own going away drinks...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I used live wth 3 other guys.

In August, 1 of the guys (An Aussie) was leaving to go to Japan for work

1 of flatmates (Another Irish) asked the Aussie to pay for his share of the going away drinks!!
    Only came to about an extra €12 or something small each!!

I paid for the Aussie: thought that was a bit harsh to pay for your own going away drinks...

In my experience,aussies are extremely tight when it comes to buying drinks.One guy who used to work with me would go out to all the drink sessions and NEVER bought more than a glass of 7up for himself.
    he was quite happy to wave the empty glass in your face when you were going to the bar and say "oh i'll have a jd and coke".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

This post has been deleted.
    Yep, I worked in a hotel that was across the street from a courthouse once. Being Irish, I wouldn't be used to my fellow countrymen (or women) giving tips.

I would often tot up the bill for political party functions or gatherings of legal types. I would often have been serving them attentively for most of the afternoon and evening, and sometimes a good bit after I should have been.

In every single case I can remember, no matter if the bill €50 or €500 or over a thousand on a couple of occasions, it was always paid to the cent.

People serving them were very rarely acknowledged, never mind thanked.

I don't think people are automatically entitled to tips or anything, but if I receive good service from people who show some pride in their work, I am more than happy to tip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭newmills

Worked with a guy ger on a site who was wearing a pair of safety shoes his oul lad wore in the corpo 10 years previous. The soles were right through and he used wire to tie them up. He refused to buy a new pair of boots for work even after the lads screwed them to the canteen ceiling and sprayed them red!! One friday he didn't come in some one of his "mates" got out the con-saw and cut them in two, then poured petrol on them and burned them. He got one of the boys to film him with his phone. He met ger on saturday and showed him the video. He went nuts cause he had to go to dunnes and spend €25 on a new pair!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Berty wrote: »
    I know of a stingy person who piggy backs on other peoples eircom wireless networks instead of buying one of those vodafone/02/meteor roaming internet thingys.

i do that myself. no shame in it either. i could get mobile internet for 10e a month and i often do but its still slow as ****e compared to someone elses wireless network. so even if i paid the 10e that month and there is a wireless network i'll use it

my phone has wifi so i can also call people for about 2c a minute on it. when i was in england i would often walk to residential areas to find wifi so i could use that instead of paying the 20 or 30p a minute those rip off english networks charge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

newmills wrote: »
    Worked with a guy ger on a site who was wearing a pair of safety shoes his oul lad wore in the corpo 10 years previous. The soles were right through and he used wire to tie them up. He refused to buy a new pair of boots for work even after the lads screwed them to the canteen ceiling and sprayed them red!! One friday he didn't come in some one of his "mates" got out the con-saw and cut them in two, then poured petrol on them and burned them. He got one of the boys to film him with his phone. He met ger on saturday and showed him the video. He went nuts cause he had to go to dunnes and spend €25 on a new pair!!

When you pass over the Fermoy bypass there are a pair of boots that are forever encased in the structure of one of the columns. Dont tell the Germans!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

Random wrote: »
    What's wrong with cutting your own hair?

What's wrong with getting a 10c tip? So what if you didn't get the 20c .. .at least you got something.
    Would rather get nothing than that miserly effort mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭N1njapirate

this really rich lady comes into Tesco, and she's forever putting reduced stickers on things from reduced stock onto full priced stock..
    We never let her away with it, but yet she keeps going!
    This was pre-recession too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

Went to school with a few people who went on holidays together there recently (3 girls, 2 guys). One girl used to take note of how much her drink cost in rounds, and as it was cheaper at the end of the night she'd ask for her 'compensation'. Yeah? Ok, fair enough you could argue. But what I thought was worse:
    Y'know when your mate, like a really good, good mate says "lend me a euro". You give them the euro or two or whatever and it's forgotten about? Not if you have a notebook and are taking down - to the CENT - what you've loaned to people.

Honestly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Small shop in Naas. Main street.

Student special for sandwiches. EUR 2 each.

Two schoolboys walk into the shop. Brothers. One is about 8 or 9, the other 6 or 7. They buy one sandwich. The woman is about to wrap it and the boy asks 'can you please cut it in half'. She does that.

The boy brings the sandwich to the counter clutching a two euro coin and the following conversation ensues:

"Four euro please"

"But I've only one sandwich."

"You've two there. Two sandwiches. Four euro."

"But I just got this cut in half."

"Four euro. Come on, I haven't got all day."

The boy looks at his brother and puts his hand in his pocket. He makes up the remaining two euro in assorted change.

The owner counts it and doesn't say thanks.

When the two of them get outside the older one unwraps the sandwich, tears off some tinfoil and gives half of the sandwich to his little brother. They walk off in opposite directions.

Since then the witness (a work colleague) and me refuse to shop there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭YDMHSSB

this thread is currently being read out on 98fm...he has just read out about 6 posts word for work.

he is pretending they are texts from users the git.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Some people aren't made of money. It's similiar to inviting your mates round for pints and telling them to bring their own beer. It's not a charity people are running.

What's the problem here exactly?

Don't invite him next time. Was the service really good enough to warranty a 20% tip though?

This has to be in the top 10 for thread of the year. Its kept me sane for the past hour.

Having read all the different tales, am I the only one that thinks that by 'random' picking at all the stories that he may be one of the stingy clan but is just trying to justify it. Either that or just trolling.

YDMHSSB wrote: »
    this thread is currently being read out on 98fm...he has just read out about 6 posts word for work.

Omg what a ****ing tool. We all knew TV was fake (all of it, even the news) but now the radio is fake too! maybe nobody is listening to them or wasting their time sending in texts

did the ****er read out any of mine? i hope he reads this one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

sceptre wrote: »
    The what? Some couples regard themselves as a single link where there's a round?

Yeah. I find it very rare to come across a couple that don't do that.

Its a slow night!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Now that's STINGY!

Needs to read up on copyright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭trailerparkboy

Did he read mine out?

Now that's STINGY!

I was just going to say that but you beat me to it. Bet they wouldve come up with some original thoughts on community radio!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

This has to be in the top 10 for thread of the year. Its kept me sane for the past hour.

Having read all the different tales, am I the only one that thinks that by 'random' picking at all the stories that he may be one of the stingy clan but is just trying to justify it. Either that or just trolling.
    Don't get me wrong .. some are a bit mad .. but some things just don't fit the thread for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

a lad from work was out drinking with a few other lads from work and it was his turn to get the round but he decided he wanted to go home. That was fair tight

• Advertisement

Don't get me wrong .. some are a bit mad .. but some things just don't fit the thread for me.

Ok fair enough, I wasnt having a personal go at you. It jsut seemed you were trying justify it all. Far fetched some of it may be, but damn its entertaining!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭georgem25

A friends dad used to tell him that the ice cream van only played the music when they had none left!!

I am wrecked from reading all this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I have absolutely no problem with anyone saying they're not getting into a round cause they can't afford it - that's not stingy, it's just common sense. It's the fockers who'll happily sit in on 6 or 7 rounds and then when it gets to them explain how broke they are...

H has been awfully close to his cousin all his life Cousin has been going out with this bint for about 4 years. Anyway, about 2 years ago we invited them (and their 2 year old son) down to ours for dinner. Neither of them drive, so I drove to Dublin to collect them. On the way back home, I was running short on petrol but hadn't brought my wallet with me. The girlfriend gives me a tenner. We get to our house. Neither of them has brought so much as a bottle of wine. No worries, we have loads in the house. It was actually really early in the day, so they have lunch AND dinner in our house, both with wine. At about 10pm the girlfriend says she's a bit sick of wine, do I have any vodka, so I give her that. The next morning, I cook breakfast, and H's cousin has to be in work early, so H drives him all the way back to Dublin (we live in Carlow), while the girlfriend hangs around our house and ends up staying for lunch again. I drop her back to Dublin that afternoon. So, after two days, an overnight, 4 meals, all their drink and transport to and from their door, what are her last words to me as she's getting out of the car???

"Do you have that tenner I gave you yesterday?"

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I don't think radio stations have users, unless you're making a comment about the drug use of the average 98fm listener?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    "Four euro please"

"But I've only one sandwich."

"You've two there. Two sandwiches. Four euro."

"But I just got this cut in half."

Fcuking cnut!!

Only pups and he/she is robbing them blind.

Honey-ec wrote: »
    it should be legal to kill some people

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    I don't think radio stations have users, unless you're making a comment about the drug use of the average 98fm listener?

every listener uses a tiny bit of power from the station's transmitter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Yeah. I find it very rare to come across a couple that don't do that.
    Any couples in my group definatly dont do that.How can anybody think thats fair? They would be quickly told where to go if they decided they wanted to be treated as a single unit unless they wanted a single drink!
    Honey-ec wrote:

And my answer would have been "no"

towel401 wrote: »
    every listener uses a tiny bit of power from the station's transmitter
    ah i see, it all makes perfect sense now....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭sassa

have loads of them (being from cavan tight arse capital of ireland);)

My sister once drove my cousin and his girlfriend to a nightclub in monaghan so his girlfriend gave her €10 for petrol my sister was shocked but didn't say anything, that is until she went back to collect them and she asked if she had any change:eek::eek::eek:

In the last place I worked there used to be loads of the part timers would sneak out for fags during work, a lot of them wouldnt get finishing their fags and honest to god one of the till supervisors used to sneak out after they came in and collected the half cigs that had been butted! worst was she used to keep them under her till for when she'd get a chance to go for a crafty one herself they would stink the place out of it!!
    dirty bugger!!!:p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement