Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

Well i admit im a big thight with money and so what i ask you. For example i will never go to the cinema at night just during the day so i can get it cheaper, will never buy coke or popcorn there will buy it at the nearest tesco beforehand. I will never pay for a bag at the supermarket never even if i have to walk 2 miles with shooping in my arms.
    Also i will never ever get a taxi home on nights out i always walk home and that takes me a hour and a half to 2 hours, i just dont beleive in wasting money on taxis, before i go home i might get some chips which i haggle for in the chiper usually only pay 1 euro when they are 2 euro, and if i go to the local spar or centra and want wedges i dont ask for a portion i ask for 10 wedges which i get for 80 cent always the same price because they know me and laught at it, wheras the person who orders a portion gets maybe 12 to 13 wedges and pays 2 euro for it so basically im making a good saving.

eddie?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

Been laughing my ass off at these stories and loudly mocking (perhaps applauding) the stinginess. All from my bed, which I have made up on the fold down couch in the living room to avoid having to heat the bedroom until winter is over...oops.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jackblack99

jonnyirish wrote: »
    he refused to drive any where for lunch and always got people to get it for him. half the time he'd avoid paying the full price of the lunch by making sure what he got cost more than 5uro, he'd then hand over the 5euro- and say "i owe you 20 cent" no body was botherd to chase him for it.

one time a guy was leaving the job so we went to lunch. at the end of the meal (which cost 10euro) he turned to the person in charge of petty cash and said "is this a work related lunch and do we have to pay" que cringe from everyone esle. the petty cash guy looked to the boss and the boss said "ok" the petty cash guy had no money so the boss paid by lazer. very awkward 10 minutes waiting for the bill. :eek:

Another time he found 5 euro on the ground in the office and when someone annouced "did any one find money today?" he jsut wouldnt lift his head from his desk.

he drove the most run down pieces of sh!t even though he was minted

When i started working i use to have to go for food at lunch time for the few in our office and came up with a plan to counter act some1 giving you money knowing full well they are leavin you short.

One lad just kept leavin me short.I let it go on for about 2 weeks then it started to really bug me coz he was on far more money then me an i was working out fiver or more outa pocket a week.

So next week he wanted a turkey an ham roll. I went to the shop an came back with egg mayonaise roll:D:D:D. After 3 days in a row doing this he said hed get his own from then on. God i hated him:mad::mad::mad:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭ninkynonk

When i started working i use to have to go for food at lunch time for the few in our office and came up with a plan to counter act some1 giving you money knowing full well they are leavin you short.

One lad just kept leavin me short.I let it go on for about 2 weeks then it started to really bug me coz he was on far more money then me an i was working out fiver or more outa pocket a week.

So next week he wanted a turkey an ham roll. I went to the shop an came back with egg mayonaise roll:D:D:D. After 3 days in a row doing this he said hed get his own from then on. God i hated him:mad::mad::mad:.

The guy i worked with drove me insane. he used to get people to get his lunch and he'd say "how much do i owe you?" even though he knew the price of eveything that he got to the penny, but he'd hpe the guy would say "€4" and round it down. one time he gave a fella €2 to get a drink in the shop when the guy came back he popped it down on his desk, cheap skate asks "do i not get change?" even though it was obvious the dring was more than €2 (tropocanna) and the fella said "well actually it was 2:20" , well he just said "that ok then" so the guy says "any chance of the 20cent then?" cheap skate ignored him. we fell around laughing when the guy told us.

i used to have to get the cofee's in the morn too. He'd ask for coffee and even though he knew the price he'd ask "how much is it" hoping it had gone down

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Well i admit im a big thight with money and so what i ask you. For example i will never go to the cinema at night just during the day so i can get it cheaper, will never buy coke or popcorn there will buy it at the nearest tesco beforehand. I will never pay for a bag at the supermarket never even if i have to walk 2 miles with shooping in my arms.
    Also i will never ever get a taxi home on nights out i always walk home and that takes me a hour and a half to 2 hours, i just dont beleive in wasting money on taxis, before i go home i might get some chips which i haggle for in the chiper usually only pay 1 euro when they are 2 euro, and if i go to the local spar or centra and want wedges i dont ask for a portion i ask for 10 wedges which i get for 80 cent always the same price because they know me and laught at it, wheras the person who orders a portion gets maybe 12 to 13 wedges and pays 2 euro for it so basically im making a good saving.

you sir, are a stinge :D

some of the stuff sounds semi reasonable but walking for two hours to avoid a taxi is pushing it tbh. it couldn't be more than €11 or €12. and i'd say the staff have a great laugh at the guy who haggles for wedges

i once tried to carry the shopping home because i didn't want to pay for a bag but i dropped the milk so i didn't do it again :D

edit: but there is one thing to be said for that stuff, you're not making other people pay for you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    you sir, are a stinge :D

some of the stuff sounds semi reasonable but walking for two hours to avoid a taxi is pushing it tbh. it couldn't be more than €11 or €12. and i'd say the staff have a great laugh at the guy who haggles for wedges

i once tried to carry the shopping home because i didn't want to pay for a bag but i dropped the milk so i didn't do it again :D

edit: but there is one thing to be said for that stuff, you're not making other people pay for you

Aye, you're right. There's a difference between walking instead of a hopping in a taxi and round dodging.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Donny5 wrote: »
    Aye, you're right. There's a difference between walking instead of a hopping in a taxi and round dodging.
    Absolutely right. I have to admire the neck involved in the wedge arrangement - I'd be mortified. You're dead right, keep it up and sooner or later the rest of us will get some sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

a guy i work ,who i mentioned earlier on ,only plugs in the appliances when he needs them,if he buys food he will plug in the fridge for the day or two that he needs it.he drives about 60mile roundtrip so his mother will wash his clothes,will sit in a pub drinking a pint of tap water for an hour so he can get his fone charged(during the week he charges at work).he let it slip one day that his ESB bill was €40.the standing charge is about €30.
    We have shower rooms at work and this guy does stink of BO,so it was mentioned to him to use the shower if he liked.one morning he was caught washing himself in the sink in the bathroom .he had his shirt off,washing himself with the soap from the hand dispensers and then dried himself off with the paper handtowels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Robbie23

U need help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

You sound like big fun on a night out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

dioltas wrote: »
    One of my friends' father used to split the matches in a box with a razor blade, thus doubling the amount of matches.

Winner Winner, Chicken Dinner!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

You sound like big fun on a night out.

I bet his name is Dave from the ad on the radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

You must have a really fun life yeah?
    Big Knox wrote: »
    Winner Winner, Chicken Dinner!! :pac:

He says he doubled them, not tripled.

;)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Me Da used to tell me about his former neighbour, an old typical country farmer. He used to soak turf before burning it so it would burn very slowly (not even burn just smoke really) and the worst part of it was they lived beside a bog. Also this guy went to bury a sheep one frosty winter morning. The ground was obviously rock solid so he dug the whole about 3 feet, filled it in, and left the sheep on its back with its legs sticking up out of the soil :P Not really stingy just lazy I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 23,563 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I hate when people do this to me in work.
    As soon as they do or ask me to put my staff discount on it or let them off with some money I lose the friendly exterior and they are charged for plastic bags, when i rarely bother charging...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Berty wrote: »
    I bet his name is Dave from the ad on the radio.

i wonder does he also put his socks into the pockets of his suits when he sends them to be dry cleaned :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭Craft25

wixfjord wrote: »
    Me Da used to tell me about his former neighbour, an old typical country farmer. He used to soak turf before burning it so it would burn very slowly (not even burn just smoke really) and the worst part of it was they lived beside a bog. Also this guy went to bury a sheep one frosty winter morning. The ground was obviously rock solid so he dug the whole about 3 feet, filled it in, and left the sheep on its back with its legs sticking up out of the soil :P Not really stingy just lazy I suppose

Why didnt he eat the sheep?? Shirley that would have been more economical. lol :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Robbie23

Frisbee wrote: »
    I hate when people do this to me in work.
    As soon as they do or ask me to put my staff discount on it or let them off with some money I lose the friendly exterior and they are charged for plastic bags, when i rarely bother charging...

Are you fkin serious? Strangers actually have the balls to ask to use your store credit?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

sweetie wrote: »
    my dad tells a story from when he was younger and he was drinking with some friends and one of them was teetotal. When it came to his round he bought 4 fizzy oranges for them.
    He shouldnt have been expected to go in on the rounds!

Being overly stingy is a bad thing, being too flippant with money is a vice too imo. I'd lend money to my friends, round things off when splitting bills etc but I'd always insist on paying people what I owe them.

Some stingy things a friend of mine did, one night we were playing poker and he brought the chips (though we all have sets, he said he had a new set he wanted to use) and because he provided the chips he refused to pay the buy-in (a mere 5eur).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Well I have to get some panelling work done on my car and the guy wanted 250 quid so I told him I would get him the paint, primer and bring it in on the day with the car when he is doing the work and to do it for 200 quid.

He said no problem. I bought the 1/4 litre of paint for my car along with the primer for €15 with my staff discount. I have not worked there in 4 years. Oh well.

Am I tight and stingey or should I be commended for saving €50 even though my boss is paying for the work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭livvy

When i was in college the girl i shared with took the Superser gas heater connecter thingy home at weekends so i couldn't use the gas heater - i lived too far away to go home every weekend.. That was years ago but i will never forget it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭CoachBoone

yabadabado wrote: »
    a guy i work ,who i mentioned earlier on ,only plugs in the appliances when he needs them,if he buys food he will plug in the fridge for the day or two that he needs it.he drives about 60mile roundtrip so his mother will wash his clothes,will sit in a pub drinking a pint of tap water for an hour so he can get his fone charged(during the week he charges at work).he let it slip one day that his ESB bill was €40.the standing charge is about €30.
    We have shower rooms at work and this guy does stink of BO,so it was mentioned to him to use the shower if he liked.one morning he was caught washing himself in the sink in the bathroom .he had his shirt off,washing himself with the soap from the hand dispensers and then dried himself off with the paper handtowels.

heh heh, thats brilliant. Imagine walking in on him, one of those situations that no matter how many times you're put in it, you still have no clue how to handle it.

I've never honestly come across anyone as stingy as the lot you guys are mentioning here. Some truly shocking stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Pub near us,take-away beside it,one of the old fellas who is always in the pub orders a take-away to be delivered to his house,goes to the take-away from the pub and jumps into the delievry drivers car and gets a lift home for the price of the food.
    Thats not stingy, its ****ing genius. A medal to that man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

He shouldnt have been expected to go in on the rounds!

Being overly stingy is a bad thing, being too flippant with money is a vice too imo. I'd lend money to my friends, round things off when splitting bills etc but I'd always insist on paying people what I owe them.

Some stingy things a friend of mine did, one night we were playing poker and he brought the chips (though we all have sets, he said he had a new set he wanted to use) and because he provided the chips he refused to pay the buy-in (a mere 5eur).

Jesus that's scabby! I remember once telling my friends as a joke that I'd charge rake the next time we played poker in my house, but I'd never actually do it, let alone think I wouldn't have to buy in because I bought the chips! I hope he didn't win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Ebonyellie

my husbands best friend is so so stingy, i have no respect for him at all. He was best man at our wedding & before the wedding he told my husband " i read somewhere i dont have to give a present cos im in the wedding party and im entitled to stay in the hotel for free" - now i know its very presumptive to expect a token for your wedding but my husband is constantly carrying this guy, cos hes always skipping his round in the pub, when they go to the gaa matches in croke park together he gets my husband to drive to save fuel - and he wants to be treated like its his big day!!!!! i invited him to my a barbaque & party i was having in my house the day of my sons communion, he arrived, ate all around him, brought a few burgers home and didnt even slip my son a tenner, what made me mad the most is that we were drinking fosters and he complained about the cheap beer.

On a different note it annoys me whenever i go into that little shop in busaras that sells crips & sandwiches and they have a little jar on the counter with "tips please" on it, tips for what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Sweeno

done this a couple of times,, if ur drinking in a pub for the day, leave a box of heineken/miller bottles in the boot of ur car or some ditch somewhere, saves a bundle

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Dragon123

Years ago 4 of us went to a late night wine bar...one of these where you had to pay €20 for four people and you got a bottle of wine free. The mate's girlfriend refused to pay so we split the €20 between three of us to pay in. When we were handed the bottle of wine, the scabby cow took a glass and proceeded to fill it up to the top :rolleyes:
    I took it out of her hand and told her she hadn't paid so wasn't getting any....she ran out crying that I was bullying her :P

Even her boyfriend had no time for her that night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Sweeno

im not a fan of buying rounds, if thats what my friends are doing i have to be excluded as buying one round for everyone would cost me the most of what i have brought out with me, buy your own drinks, its simpler and noone gets thick with anyone for bein cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

My nanny does bring a plastic bag with her to birthdays and events to steal lots of finger food, I used to think it was for her dog? But the dog died a year ago and she still continues to fill black bags to this day...So i presume its for my Grandads dinner the day after? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

CoachBoone wrote: »
    heh heh, thats brilliant. Imagine walking in on him, one of those situations that no matter how many times you're put in it, you still have no clue how to handle it.

I've never honestly come across anyone as stingy as the lot you guys are mentioning here. Some truly shocking stories.

yeah the fella that caught him was new to the building and thought he was a tramp that managed to sneek into the building.
    same guy was going to a wedding down the country and booked into a hotel on line.when he got his bill they charged him €90 instead of the €89 he saw online.he spent the next few days ringing them looking for the euro back.he told them he wanted it posted back to him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement