Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Store closures for 2009? [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

swingking wrote: »
    Recession? What recession?

I was driving past Dundrum shopping centre this morning and the queues to get in to the place were unreal. My gf went there today and there was no parking in the centre so she had to park down the main street. :eek:

Does this sound like a recession to you? I only hope these people are paying for items by cash and not credit, otherwise it's gonna further the problem of the credit crunch

Well- its definitely not like this in Dublin city centre. Staff in Brown Thomas on Grafton Street were alternatively bored or scared- most of them were twiddling their thumbs doing absolutely nada. We weren't shopping ourselves- but did pop into a few shops for a look around. The places are dead. Grafton Street was deserted. Places like the Hibernian Mall were like a ghost town. Perhaps everyone has gone to the sales out of town- they're certainly not in the city centre.........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Good riddance, wont have to listen to their poxy ad anymore.
    wait i thought people actually like the ad??:pac: i have no preference tho

Biggins wrote: »
    Been there before when things were really bad. Can't believe that things are going that direction again.
    Are we not supposed to learn from history?
    This is a thread about closures so I won't change the topic but if I did I'd be discussing related to how we haven't learned from previous times and what we have now is a lack of recognition for history and its value to a future population.

Recession, you mean depression with full blown deflation! prices down! wages down! interest rates down! size of outstanding credit card bill/mortgage impossibly high!

Closed shops will be the least of our problems, unless you're a middle aged civil servant with no mortgage and a small or no credit card bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Ckal wrote: »

I'm looking forward to the days when people only buy what they need, and not buy what they want.

I'm not, tbh. There will always be people who live above their means, and they'll continue to do so ( albeit maybe not to the same extent) whether there's a recession, or no recession. The people who will suffer most with all these shops closing down are not the idiots who buy €1000 buggies or two houses they can't afford- they'll be working class people employed at ground level.

The fact that people are cheering on the demise of businesses here worries me deeply. I know plenty of people here in my circle of friends/family relying on jobs in these places. The sh!t will hit the fan if they go bust. And they're certainly not the same people who are fawning over brand new SUV's or a six-bedroom house in D4 land, I can tell you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭lady_j

Highsider wrote: »
    I agree on the whole but there can't be anyone who won't be happy to see and hear the back of Harvey Norman

I'm guessing their staff won't be overjoyed at losing their jobs....

• Advertisement

Acacia wrote: »

The fact that people are cheering on the demise of businesses here worries me deeply. I know plenty of people here in my circle of friends/family relying on jobs in these places. The sh!t will hit the fan if they go bust. And they're certainly not the same people who are fawning over brand new SUV's or a six-bedroom house in D4 land, I can tell you.

The sad fact is that a fair few bought overpriced poky little houses way out in the sticks as that was all they could afford to "get on the ladder" are likely to be the first to lose their jobs, they will suffer!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

small or no credit card bill.

I'm 28 (or is that 27, can't remember anymore) and I've never had a credit card bill. I'm not particularly well off either.

Could never understand buying stuff on credit. I've a mate who went 60k (sterling) in debt from credit card and had NOTHING to show for it.

People are just f*cking idiots and it's a shame cos they've helped hurt ppl like me. My GF is also debt free and had a nice savings account. The rate of interest has been cut to **** over here in the UK and she no longer earns as much on her savings.

Greed greed greed.

Bah!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'm 28 (or is that 27, can't remember anymore) and I've never had a credit card bill. I'm not particularly well off either.

Could never understand buying stuff on credit. I've a mate who went 60k (sterling) in debt from credit card and had NOTHING to show for it.

Credit cards are fine, not paying off the debt you owe on them isn't. I'm 22 and I've had a credit card for about 3 years and I haven't paid a cent of interest. I only buy stuff on it if I have the money to pay for it.

Situations like your friends I've never understood. How can someone get in so much debt but not have anything significant to show for it. It's complete madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I heard of someone who had debt of 15,000 on his credit card and when he applied for a loan from the credit union to clear it he asked them to 'throw an extra 5000 onto it' as if it was 5 euro.

There are people like that out there, and there always will be. The recession won't change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Credit cards are fine, not paying off the debt you owe on them isn't. I'm 22 and I've had a credit card for about 3 years and I haven't paid a cent of interest. I only buy stuff on it if I have the money to pay for it.

Situations like your friends I've never understood. How can someone get in so much debt but not have anything significant to show for it. It's complete madness.

What annoys me is he got an.... IV somthing or other... Basically it's the step before bankruptcy here in the UK. He pays £500 or so a month for 5 years and then that's it.

Annoys me that he can do that. What's laughable is despite all this he still runs out of money each month because he just can't budget and the man is almost 40. What's MOST annoying is that he isn't actually stupid or anything however despite being poor he'd walk into a bar and buy a complete stranger drinks for the entire night.....

Some people make me cry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,024 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

janeybabe wrote: »
    I heard of someone who had debt of 15,000 on his credit card and when he applied for a loan from the credit union to clear it he asked them to 'throw an extra 5000 onto it' as if it was 5 euro.

There are people like that out there, and there always will be. The recession won't change that.

I had a client a few years ago who, when he was having severe cashflow problems, had several credit cards on the go. He was drawing cash on one to keep up the payments on the others. He dragged on with this for a couple of years until he struck lucky and managed to make enough money to clear the lot. Most people don't strike it lucky when they play that game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I had a client a few years ago who, when he was having severe cashflow problems, had several credit cards on the go. He was drawing cash on one to keep up the payments on the others. He dragged on with this for a couple of years until he struck lucky and managed to make enough money to clear the lot. Most people don't strike it lucky when they play that game.
    Its called "warehousing" in the trade. Many top bank officials in the financial sector were caught out at the same thing but in a larger scale and we the tax payer have to account for their sins. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

how can Irish shops compete when there's so many variables, 2 different vat rates and 2 different minimum wages just to start..

they only way possible is through Government intervention maybe a lowering of minimum wage, a reduction in the vat rate, lowering of import dutys etc

Our Politicans are going to sink the country if something isn't done rapidly, anyone know when there back from Christmas holidays:mad:

EDIT:

Maybe I could run the place till they get back, Any Objections? : )

You got my vote! When will the government realise with regard to the VAT rate that 21.5% of nothing is nothing!

Our economy is leaking like a sieve and the government appear completely disinterested. They have it all arse about face. See the recent increase in commercial rates. Increase in VAT rate. NERA with their 1 man crusade on Sunday pay. Taxi rate increases that the taxi drivers didn't want. Cigarette price increases that have, I'd wager, tilted the balance in favour of the black market and actually reduced the tax take. It would be funny if it wasn't so serious. It is a bad Irish joke. Our country is a laughing stock. It is not the fault of small business, and not merely a case of going through this to emerge as a leaner, more competitive environment. We are facing an apocalyptic situation in the economy. All policies designed to contract, contract, contract the economy. Guess what fckwits? It is already deflating!
    You didn't need to help push it over the edge. A junior cert business student wouldn't have come out with this kind of sh1te.

The governments response? An increase in social welfare. More money for R & D. WTF is that?

Businesses simply cannot compete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Back on topic, anyone been to Custom House Quay, Dublin 1

This place was empty for years and while it might be open now, I'd say many of the busineses are in trouble.
    The place is constantly empty.

Take a look at a list of the tenants. Excluding the coffee and mobile shops, it's all very luxury products imo. Designer furniture, an expensive mens tailor, a wine shop where the cheapest bottle I could find was 70 euro!

This place should have been open 5 years ago, it's too late now and I can imagine half the tenants being gone within 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

mikemac wrote: »

This place was empty for years and while it might be open now, I'd say many of the busineses are in trouble.
    The place is constantly empty.

Take a look at a list of the tenants. Excluding the coffee and mobile shops, it's all very luxury products imo. Designer furniture, an expensive mens tailor, a wine shop where the cheapest bottle I could find was 70 euro!

This place should have been open 5 years ago, it's too late now and I can imagine half the tenants being gone within 12 months.
    I totally agree with you, i lived in the Apartments near there for 2years and we thought it was gonna open in 2003 but it never did. And yes the stores are struggling, some claim they go a day/days without making any sale. I believe the rent is expensive because it's in the IFSC.

There's a new retail park just been completed on the Airton Rd, Tallaght, it's completely empty!

The shops in Athlone appear to be holding their own at the moment, the next couple of months will be challenging!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Recession? What recession?

I was driving past Dundrum shopping centre this morning and the queues to get in to the place were unreal. My gf went there today and there was no parking in the centre so she had to park down the main street. :eek:

Does this sound like a recession to you? I only hope these people are paying for items by cash and not credit, otherwise it's gonna further the problem of the credit crunch
    My sister works down there and she has said that the place was packed for a few days after Xmas but people where not spending like they used to. Also it is without a doubt their worst year since opening sales wise last year. Plenty of rumours going around about places closing down including one store that is one of the biggest in the centre that will be going to the wall.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Im really thick. Until i saw your post i never understood why the place was called CHQ! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

I can see us poor people down here in Munster still getting shafted. The closer you get to the border, the more competitive the pricing will be. Unfortunately, us suckers will be subsidising the top half of the country.:(

Hardly. This sounds like "poor me"...the low population density in Munster is why there's less competitveness in pricing, and I doubt that same low population density could subsidise the top half of the country.

You're being ripped off by locals plain & simple. Tell shop managers & vote with your feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

faceman wrote: »
    Im really thick. Until i saw your post i never understood why the place was called CHQ! :o

Don't worry, I had to ask somebody to figure it out.
    You're far from the only one :)

And realy, I feel poor in that place. Just about every shop selling luxury goods. I'd say they are paying savage rent too. If any SC in Dublin was to lose most of their tenants, my bet is on this one! I can't see it lasting until 2010 which is a pity and there are plenty of jobs there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,024 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Dardania wrote: »
    Hardly. This sounds like "poor me"...the low population density in Munster is why there's less competitveness in pricing, and I doubt that same low population density could subsidise the top half of the country.

You're being ripped off by locals plain & simple. Tell shop managers & vote with your feet.

In all seriousness, as has been pointed out by all and sundry, the problem has been countrywide. The entire consumer system has been on the band-wagon for a century. My attitude isn't "poor me", it's "fuck them", which is why I voted with my internet connection a long time ago. Without the internet, I know well that I would have to travel at least 80kms to buy a particular item, if not further.

I visited a newly opened computer shop to see what kind of prices they had. I told them that I would buy off them if the prices were reasonable. When I quoted a Komplett price, the shop-owner told me that he was paying his supplier more than Komplett's retail price.

The retailers are the ones getting it in the neck over rip-offs, but they themselves are getting ripped off by their suppliers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The retailers are the ones getting it in the neck over rip-offs, but they themselves are getting ripped off by their suppliers.
    QFT. I've faced this BS for years so now with few exceptions where price is on parity with I source stock from suppliers overseas. The price diffs can be unreal.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

gurramok wrote: »
    Barratts shoe shops have a closing down sale at every one of their branches also.

Barratts are looking for staff in Liffey Valley so I don't think they're going yet anyway. The sale was a warehouse closing down sale, not a store one.

This thread is fierce gloomy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

themadchef wrote: »
    I don't have a mind for politics or a mind for economics but i know all this scaremongering by experts is not doing the country any favours.

With the exception of wholly inappropriate attribution, I liked your post.

These people you mention are not experts, they didn't see it coming, and they certainly don't know how to get us out of this mess.

If they did know what to do, they wouldn't be espousing their "you might not have a job, save your money" rubbish.

Everyone, without exception, needs to spend every penny they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Don't worry, I had to ask somebody to figure it out.
    You're far from the only one :)

And realy, I feel poor in that place. Just about every shop selling luxury goods. I'd say they are paying savage rent too. If any SC in Dublin was to lose most of their tenants, my bet is on this one! I can't see it lasting until 2010 which is a pity and there are plenty of jobs there.

Most of them aren't paying any rent, they got about two years rent free for opening there and even with that half the shops are empty. I'd say even then many are struggling to make a profit because of their staff costs, it's that quiet. Place is a disaster. Hugh O'Regan had an option to buy it for about E15m less than it cost to build and pulled out of it. Another DDDA disaster:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Just wondering about Harvey Norman, there is a lot of rumours that they are about to hit the wall. But the other day I saw an ad for them on the TV offering something like 2 years interest free on products over €500. If someone bought a big item ( like over €1k ) on their interest free offer and they then go to the wall what exactly happens ?
    The reason I ask is that we have often seen consumers left high and dry when companies go bust ( mainly airlines but Habitat too afaik ). But in this instance it is possible consumers will owe HN money when/if they go bust. Are the consumers in a postiion to say nah we're not paying up, tough, just like companies who have taken money off consumers do?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Wibbs is absolutely right, while retailers here are going to close based on cross-border shopping, it is the fault of distributors, commercial landlords, and manufacturers who have treated their Irish operations as a cash cow to prop up their higher-volume but less profitable operations elsewhere.

End users are, thanks to the internet, finally getting to see just how much they're getting ripped off. This is one of the great victories of the EEC. It's still not working as well as it should, however (Play UK refusing to flog non-music/dvd goods to Southern Irish customers online is a great example).

One day we really will have a common market and we'll all be better off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Today's example:

TV in todays Daily Mail Sony 32" €450 in Xtravision

Tv in Sainsburys in Derry: €366

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Woodies and most other cheap to mid-range furniture stores will get hammered whenever IKEA opens. I also heard that Boards.ie is under administration.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Toiletroll

Actuallyl one place I'd like to see close down is Costa coffee. if you ask me it's Costalot for a cup of piss coffee. The prices that place is charging people is crazy. People will not be able to fork out that much on luxury coffee.

Costa Coffee is indeed a pile of pish.. I love my coffee also! There's is like Treackle...

Advertisement