Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Store closures for 2009? [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

BTW is in trouble, along with a lot of other tile/bathroom shops. I wonder how Right Price will do as they had a massive expansion last year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I used to back HN up all the time, but after today I'm not surprised if they go.

I went to the Carrickmines branch today to see could I pick up a video sender. I asked the sales guy if he had any, and you'd swear I insulted his mother. He could not give a sh1t and just mumbled something to the effect of "no".

I was looking also at a video camera that I might have been interested in buying. I stood for about 15 mins at the counter and not one sales staff came to assist me.

So I walked and I promise to never darken their doors again. If this is how they treat their customers then good riddance, off back to Australia with you!!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

swingking wrote: »
    I used to back HN up all the time, but after today I'm not surprised if they go.

I went to the Carrickmines branch today to see could I pick up a video sender. I asked the sales guy if he had any, and you'd swear I insulted his mother. He could not give a sh1t and just mumbled something to the effect of "no".

I was looking also at a video camera that I might have been interested in buying. I stood for about 15 mins at the counter and not one sales staff came to assist me.

So I walked and I promise to never darken their doors again. If this is how they treat their customers then good riddance, off back to Australia with you!!! :mad:

Got that from HN in Airside too. Fuckers went out of their way to ignore us.

Bye bye Harvey.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Heres the thing, I hate sales staff annoying me...if I walk into your shop stay the fook away from me unless i initiate conversation, then by all means attempt to answer my queries and sell me stuff but otherwise...leave me along

rock on HN sales dude :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

BTW is in trouble, along with a lot of other tile/bathroom shops. I wonder how Right Price will do as they had a massive expansion last year

Right Price Tiles are all franchised, so unless no one buys any tiles at all they'll manage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭PullMyFinger!

Without wishing any unemployment on anyone I hope deeply that Peats and its Sony Centres all go to the wall this year. A bigger shower of **** behind a counter you will never meet. Twats.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,985 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Without wishing any unemployment on anyone I hope deeply that Peats and its Sony Centres all go to the wall this year. A bigger shower of **** behind a counter you will never meet. Twats.

Well we're here 75 years later, obviously not everyone shares your sentiment.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Well we're here 75 years later, obviously not everyone shares your sentiment.

In all fairness- the staff on Parnell Street have to be some of the most knowledgeable around (though Dame Street staff have given very misleading information on a number of occasions). I'm more than happy to pay a slight premium for good advice and quality customer care- which is what I've come to expect in Parnell Street (similar to some of the good guys in Maplins on Jervis Street).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

peats=not good ime I've heard them bamboozle people who weren't tech savvy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

bladebrew wrote: »
    is there anyone actually doing better because of this recession??

The arms industry always does well at global recession time, well its the one industry thats always booming in a system that will always put profits before people.
    More arms were brought last year than in any other year since World War two, with global arms buying rising to €1.3 trillion last year!

Thanks God capitalism has ongoing "projects" in Chad, Sudan,Congo,Iraq, Afghanistan etc etc not to mention all the emerging conflicts we will see when the struggle for oil and minerals intensifys. Who knows, western goverments and the arms industry may even get lucky and we will see World War three emerging,just like we saw the onset of WW2 emerge in the Great Depression of 1929.

US,British and Irish arms companies are all doing swimmingly well out of the latest conflict in Palestine. What a grand old world we live in!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I have no probs with Peats, although expensive they always had a good selection of "now" when I couldn't be bothered ordering something on line.

Marks and Sparks have announced staff lay offs and store closures in the UK, Ireland will more than likely follow. Saw two top off the range 08 Merks parked at Lidl the other day in South Dublin, says a lot about the shift of consumer shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,985 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

panda100 wrote: »
    US,British and Irish arms companies are all doing swimmingly well out of the latest conflict in Palestine. What a grand old world we live in!

What irish arms companies are there?

There are some corporates supplying electronic components to the US war effort based in in this country.

http://www.indymedia.ie/article/82314

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

Timoney Technologies near Navan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

starn wrote: »
    Timoney Technologies near Navan

And there was me thinking they just made nice cosy fire engines and ambulances, the sneaky f**ckers....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

We operate a lot of second level arms companys(software design, engineering etc.)

starn wrote: »
    I don't think any of Timoney technology makes its way into the US or IDF They have supplied Australia, Dutch, Singapore and Taiwan with much of which is made under license.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timoney_Technology_Limited_of_Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

dresden8 wrote: »
    Got that from HN in Airside too. Fuckers went out of their way to ignore us.

Bye bye Harvey.

Well in fairness if you knew your job was on its last legs would you be bothered? I know I wouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Darragh29 wrote: »

Aren't they the British branch of Xtravision?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Biggins wrote: »

Don't think so, I always thought they competed with Xtravision but they could have been. I would have thought this type of business model would do better in a recession than at any other time, also cash business, no credit and no chasing your own money. Am surprised they have gone bust.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Don't think so, I always thought they competed with Xtravision but they could have been. I would have thought this type of business model would do better in a recession than at any other time, also cash business, no credit and no chasing your own money. Am surprised they have gone bust.

Apparently they have the same owner according to an old article I've subsequently found.
    ...The original founder of XtraVision and current boss of rival Chartbusters, Richard Murphy...

Old news Item: http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/video-gurus-vision-for-site-136240.html

No that would be Blockbuster
    They have owned Xtravision since about 1996

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

I hate to say I was right but ....

No the original owner of Xtravision owns Chartbusters (but no longer the former)

Chartbusters have been tanning salons and internet cafes more than DVD rental shops but I still think they could have added on a few more extra services that would have made the shops mini Dr Quirkeys and Entertainment Centres. Maybe they would have survived then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

antodeco wrote: »
    If they hired Irish people, yes. But they dont.

The guy who served me in Aldi on Sunday was Irish. The manageress in Lidl at home is Irish (and a cnut, but that's not Lidl's fault, she was always like that). My cousin worked in Lidl head office until she went on maternity leave, and she'll probably head back afterwards if she can find someone to mind her brood.

Funny how the first three Lidl/Aldi employees I can think of are Irish, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

Chartbusters are on the way out I say, 10 stores closed in the last few months. They are all over the news (online) today, they were back in court today, and have gone into examinership, thats the last trick they can pull before the creditors come after them....they are €20 million in debt. €12 of that is to various banks.

I think someone asked earlier about Richard Murphy. He was one of the original founders of Xtra-Vision. He went off and set up Chartbusters with a number of investors. He currently holds 20% of Chartbusters.

BYE BYE CHARTBUSTERS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

Lady Lainy wrote: »
    are €20 million in debt. €12 of that is to various banks.

I think the other 8million is on a video I rented years ago...sorry Chartbusters...guess its mine now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

It doesn't matter how busy they are if they are making a loss.
    I've heard from colleagues that Debenhams is in serious trouble also. .

Why would a store that's really busy be making a loss? Is it because customers are buying everything on sale? My local Debenhams isn't very busy.

There are loads of shops that really wouldn't be missed by the customers if they closed---the new Arnotts in Jervis Street is a total waste of space. The small and pokey Boots on Henry Street, literally 2 minutes walk from the huge Jervis Branch. (I'd say Boots are safe though).

Dunnes in the Ilac centre, again 2 minutes or less walk from the fabulous Henry Street store.

The Bag shop--there are branches of this all over the place around Henry St and Mary Street, again not needed, one or 2 branches would be plenty.

I can see some of the smoothie places going, smoothies are expensive. I'd say the coffee shops like Costa should be ok, unemployed people will frequent them probably but the average spend per customer might go down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

syklops wrote: »
    Well in fairness if you knew your job was on its last legs would you be bothered? I know I wouldn't.

This was early last year. Tried to give them money but they wouldn't take it. Never darkened their door again.

I hope they like queueing in labour exchanges the ignorant pr1cks.

Advertisement