Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Store closures for 2009? [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭DenMan

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Something I have noticed with UK stores here is that they are never as good as their stores in the UK, don't know if that is down to the management in Irish stores but always find that UK stores are much better stocked particularly in terms of food.

15 times the population might have something to do with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Rb wrote: »
    I would say the complete opposite actually, the vast majority have absolutely no idea about torrents, how to use them to download programs/music/etc and then how to burn them to a disk in a playable format.

People still rent for this very reason, they have no idea how to get a movie from the internet, to their computer, to the TV.

Point taken. Its easy to forget how nerdy it is when we download stuff free every day.

Allegedly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

Something I have noticed with UK stores here is that they are never as good as their stores in the UK, don't know if that is down to the management in Irish stores but always find that UK stores are much better stocked particularly in terms of food.

The House of Fraser branch in Dundrum bears no resemblance to a UK branch in terms of stock, both variety and quality. Same is true of many M and S stores here, as you say, especially in food in those stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

DenMan wrote: »
    15 times the population might have something to do with it.

Has nothing to do with it imo, I'm talking about going into a shop early afternoon and produce particularly food is missing from the shelf because they have not ordered enough of the product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Highsider wrote: »
    Have heard BTW tilesavers are going down the tubes not surprised TBH with some of the stories i've heard about them.

Don't surprise me.
    I know a rep from a tile wholesalers and he told me that his order book is down 85%.......Ouch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,024 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Zonda999 wrote: »
    It is fairly feckin annoying alright is'nt it!!!

There're gonna be a lot of burglaries taking place when those bargain hunters have left for the day. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

I don't have a mind for politics or a mind for economics but i know all this scaremongering by experts is not doing the country any favours.

People are scared to spend so they don't, shops close because people didn't spend, people lose jobs because the shops closed now people really don't have money to spend.

I heard a radio programme a few years ago. The guy used toilet roll as an example... basically he said, if an announcement was made tomorrow that there was a huge shortage of toilet roll coming (just for the craic).....people would go out in there droves and buy every shop out of all the toilet roll they could get..in turn causing a shortage of toilet roll....even though there was no shortage in the first place.

I know it's not the same thing ... but some people that have the same money as they did last year are not spending because they're afraid to... they're being told "mind your money you might not have a job next week".

I know some sectors have been hurt, some people are out of work, but not everyone...yet everyone is in the "batten down the hatches mode"

It's going to get a hell of alot worse IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

smccarrick wrote: »
    They still can't compete with NI or UK prices. Lots of places in the UK will ship over here by the pallet load- you just have to shop around......

The electrical shops in the UK can't actually ship to people in the Republic due to the WEEE regulations

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

jahalpin wrote: »
    The electrical shops in the UK can't actually ship to people in the Republic due to the WEEE regulations
    Yes they can they just have to contribute to the weee recycling fund. Not all of them do though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I could be wrong but I though that there was an overall European regulation system in effect which we are ALL a part of.
    Not disagreeing with you but in regards WEEE regulations, I know little. Care to explain further? I'm genuinely curious. :)

• Advertisement

mumhaabu wrote: »
    A friend of mine claims in that case they are obliged to take Sterling in ROI as payment if they display in sterling. I think this is baloney, any truth in it?

As another poster has pointed out, Sterling is not legal tender here, so the shops have no obligation to accept it at all.

The sterling price is the price in the UK, it is based on the costs of operating in the UK. The Euro price is based on the costs involved with operating in the Republic.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I can see us poor people down here in Munster still getting shafted. The closer you get to the border, the more competitive the pricing will be. Unfortunately, us suckers will be subsidising the top half of the country.:(

There's nothing stopping people from Munster from traveling to the North or to Dublin if they want to buy things. Due to the far higher population densities in the Dublin area the shops are more likely to survive the economic downturn than shops in other areas. It is, in fact, the people in Dublin that have been subsidizing the people in the other areas of the country.

Biggins wrote: »
    I could be wrong but I though that there was an overall European regulation system in effect which we are ALL a part of.
    Not disagreeing with you but in regards WEEE regulations, I know little. Care to explain further? I'm genuinely curious. :)

Unlike the Republic, the UK did not sign up for the WEEE scheme. They do not charge customers the WEEE charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

LolaDub wrote: »
    And Morgan the clothes store. Any others?
    gurramok wrote: »
    Sasha womens clothes store is already in admin. Barratts shoe shops have a closing down sale at every one of their branches also.
    Bijoux wrote: »
    Heard that Jane Norman is going into liquidation....not sure if it's true or not though.

No loss tbh.

Unlike the Republic, the UK did not sign up for the WEEE scheme. They do not charge customers the WEEE charges.

Ok. You could be right. I don't know enough to say otherwise.
    Originally Posted by jahalpin

Still leaves a question though. How is it then that we still get other British electrical goods? Me just confused by your earlier info sharing or else I'm just thick (which could be likely).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

smccarrick wrote: »
    It may once have been the case that the fallout would have been limited to the border counties- but no longer.

agreed, but i see far more retailer closing down in border counties. Further away from the border it's more likely that shops will be able to "tick-over" on reduced sales, but i foresee lots of border shops closing completely as the reduced prices are only minutes away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

The media coverage of the recession is very negative and IMO only worsens the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

DenMan wrote: »
    H Samuel, Land of Leather, 2 Seasons, Zavvi and Chartbusters all going too I'm afraid.

Chartbusters? That means the gaming place in grafton street (game the world) is going too. GTW are owned by chartbusters

MIN2511 wrote: »
    The media coverage of the recession is very negative and IMO only worsens the situation.

I agree but its also a case or either reporting it or not.
    I know there is some that go overboard but even the basic facts will still indicate that we need to tighten our belts.
    Its tight-rope most of the media walks (granted some push it to extremes).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,024 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

There's nothing stopping people from Munster from traveling to the North or to Dublin if they want to buy things. Due to the far higher population densities in the Dublin area the shops are more likely to survive the economic downturn than shops in other areas. It is, in fact, the people in Dublin that have been subsidizing the people in the other areas of the country.

I'm sure the road from here to Dublin gains another 50kms each time that I use it. I'ts like going on safari. :eek: Thank God for online shopping!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,147 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Senna wrote: »
    A huge amount of border counties will see established and big shops close, unless they can take their prices down to compete with the North.

In Letterkenny, Currys sell a 42' Samsung plasma for €799, the exact same one costs €499(£499) in Derry, 20 minutes away. I dont know how a shop like this will last if they wont drop their prices.

how can Irish shops compete when there's so many variables, 2 different vat rates and 2 different minimum wages just to start..

they only way possible is through Government intervention maybe a lowering of minimum wage, a reduction in the vat rate, lowering of import dutys etc

Our Politicans are going to sink the country if something isn't done rapidly, anyone know when there back from Christmas holidays:mad:

EDIT:

Maybe I could run the place till they get back, Any Objections? : )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Elephant Monkey

I understand that the Harvey Norman ad would annoy some if not all! But would that turn you off shopping there? Really?

I've bought loads of furniture and electrical stuff from them and have bargained with them and got it at the lowest price by shopping around and telling them that its cheaper elsewhere. they will call the competition and beat the price!!! I have found myself bargaining more now, we do it on holidays so why not here!
    Recently bought 2 pairs of trousers and got a 20% discount because i asked for a discount because i was buying 2 pairs,they didn't think twice about it!

I have been tempted to go north and stock up but with fuel the time it takes and effort do you really save that much?

I buy lots of music online, I only buy in music shops if i happen to pass and they have a sale on! The packaging makes buying music in shops pricey.

It is sad to see any shops go out of business, so many jobs to be lost and it not only affects that person that looses there job it affects there family too.

Happy new year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

EDIT:

Maybe I could run the place till they get back, Any Objections? : )[/QUOTE]

sure you can, i bet you could do it when you are sober as well

• Registered Users Posts: 7,233 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

To all the shops that are closing down:

Go f*ck yourselves

That is all I have to say, ok it is hard on people losing jobs (the dole isn't so bad though), but the cnuts have ripped us off for years now they deserve all they are getting, f&ck ye all

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I have been tempted to go north and stock up but with fuel the time it takes and effort do you really save that much?

For certain goods you don't even have to leave your house, was pricing some furniture today in Dublin, priced the same piece of furniture from a little corner shop in Knightsbridge in London ;) 200 Euro cheaper this includes delivery, exchange rate etc.. and a 10% voucher of the cost to spend later in the year.

Someone was telling me they got a wii up North for 169 Euro, 269 Euro down here, he lives close to the border with savings like that shops are going to suffer big time imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Walmart and Starbucks will be all that's left, rising out of the rubble of dead British outlets :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Someone was telling me they got a wii up North for 169 Euro, 269 Euro down here, he lives close to the border with savings like that shops are going to suffer big time imo.

The prices of game consoles are usually set by the manufacter (same with apple ipods). Selling them at below the price they set, generally isn't a good idea, at least not for extended periods anyways. So blame that one on Nintendo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

To all the shops that are closing down:

Go f*ck yourselves

That is all I have to say, ok it is hard on people losing jobs (the dole isn't so bad though), but the cnuts have ripped us off for years now they deserve all they are getting, f&ck ye all

Here's the problem with that... if everyone takes that attitude and the jobs go in their tens of thousands...exactly who is going to be left paying the tax that pays that dole? the toothfairy? The Easter bunny? Even the Civil service jobs are experiencing cut backs on the cards.

Can the last person left in the country please turn out the lights...or more likely blow out the candle.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

themadchef wrote: »
    Here's the problem with that... if everyone takes that attitude and the jobs go in their tens of thousands...exactly who is going to be left paying the tax that pays that dole? the toothfairy? The Easter bunny? Even the Civil service jobs are experiencing cut backs on the cards.

Can the last person left in the country please turn out the lights...or more likely blow out the candle.

The toothfairy is bankrupt as well. Last time I left a tooth out I got nothing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,233 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

themadchef wrote: »

We have to spend a certain amount of money, food etc will always be needed

Advertisement