Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Store closures for 2009? [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    But lets be honest. The vast majority do. Or know someone that can do it for them.

No they don't believe me. When it comes to computers most people are idiots. I've lost count of the amounts of times I've been told the wireless on the computer is broken. When I ask them have they connected to the wireless network, the answer is always, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    But lets be honest. The vast majority do. Or know someone that can do it for them.
    I would say the complete opposite actually, the vast majority have absolutely no idea about torrents, how to use them to download programs/music/etc and then how to burn them to a disk in a playable format.

People still rent for this very reason, they have no idea how to get a movie from the internet, to their computer, to the TV.

Obviously on fora or the like it will be 50/50 or better on who knows how to get movies from the internet, but it certainly isn't an accurate representation of the overall picture.

Music, however, is a different matter what with Limewire and other such programs making it so straight-forward (for both "criminals" and those who want to catch them).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭pau8lieskins

I do think that music shops/dvd shops will be closing left right and center because of the internet but not to downloading (well a little) but by people purchasing DVD's/CD's over the net I saved 300 quid by staying at home shopping online rather than buying stuff from shops in the run up to Xmas.

I think tile, carpets and homeware places will close up, Big brand name places may considering pulling out of Ireland like Woolworths back in the 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

I can't believe you guys are all saying good riddance to these stores. As annoying as their advertisements might be, how many people are employed in each shop? and it's not even just the shop floor, you've all the HR and Admin staff too up in the offices....

This is a really tough time for Ireland, being pleased that huge chain stores are shutting down across the whole island is a little selfish in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

I think it would be great if the likes of Costa Cofee and O'Briens sandwich bars and those stupid smoothie kiosks all fecked right off, I would gladly say good bye to Harvey Norman if it was only to get that awful ad of the airwaves some time I feel like doing what Father Jack and blasting a Shotgun at the TV when that utter sh1te of an ad comes on. Thank you Jesus for inventing Sky+! :pac:

Plus for anyone down in the Republic of Munster, the Soundstore is miles ahead of Harvey Norman and is the best Electrical retailer I think, hopefully they stay independent and don't gobbled up by some multi national mega crook *cough* megacorp.

The sound in the name came from not Sound as in audio but the Cark saying Sound man!

I'd love to see half these hippys selling foul smelling garbage in rural town *markets* go bust too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

I can't believe you guys are all saying good riddance to these stores. As annoying as their advertisements might be, how many people are employed in each shop? and it's not even just the shop floor, you've all the HR and Admin staff too up in the offices....

This is a really tough time for Ireland, being pleased that huge chain stores are shutting down across the whole island is a little selfish in my opinion.
    I agree on the whole but there can't be anyone who won't be happy to see and hear the back of Harvey Norman

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Actuallyl one place I'd like to see close down is Costa coffee. if you ask me it's Costalot for a cup of piss coffee. The prices that place is charging people is crazy. People will not be able to fork out that much on luxury coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

mumhaabu wrote: »
    Plus for anyone down in the Republic of Munster, the Soundstore is miles ahead of Harvey Norman and is the best Electrical retailer I think, hopefully they stay independent and don't gobbled up by some multi national mega crook *cough* megacorp.

The sound in the name came from not Sound as in audio but the Cark saying Sound man!

Agree with you on that one. If Harvey Normans in Dublin have the same prices as those down in Cork, i dont know how they've survived against the likes of Power City and DID. I wish we had those stores down here. Especially Power City. They appear very competitive on price and will clearly beat any other stores price

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

This is the most extraordinary thread I have ever read. People here actually wishing for job losses, store closures. A very advanced form of grave dancing by grave dancers. The last post here also urging a no vote to Lisbon. After the stores have all gone, the staff of course can emigrate. it will bring us back to the good old days of pre eu when emigration was an instrument of economic policy. Shame on those of you wishing for such a calamity to befall us.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Zonda999 wrote: »
    They appear very competitive on price and will clearly beat any other stores price

They still can't compete with NI or UK prices. Lots of places in the UK will ship over here by the pallet load- you just have to shop around......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

pjproby wrote: »
    ...Shame on those of you wishing for such a calamity to befall us.

I don't (and I suspect others here) like seeing any business to close that is genuinely striving to survive and is at the same time not fleecing to an extraordinary extent, the hard working customers whom also suffer their too far over inflated profit prices.

Am I glad to see any rip-off merchants go down, Yes by god and I won't be losing sleep over them.
    Just like bad factories, bad doctors, bad insurance, bad services close in general, its the way of commerce.
    The business market is not going to grind to a halt. The excess profit making fatter-cats will be cut down, made leaner and again I say, by god its about time.

Nope, as the saying goes: "Good riddance to bad rubbish"

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

a close friend works in Harvey Norman.

Would you wish for the end of his job, and pull out... because of their annoying ads??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Was in debehams before 2 weeks before xmas day and the selection looked the same as the previous quater. Items weren't displayed properly and the pricing showed UK and EU. A 35 pound jumper was 60euro even though the pound had made a massive drop.

I know they may have bought these at a different rate and they set the price to what they expect the market to pay, but by this stage people were already jumping across the border for bargains. Slow reaction to the market is probably going to close them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

Was in debehams before 2 weeks before xmas day and the selection looked the same as the previous quater. Items weren't displayed properly and the pricing showed UK and EU. A 35 pound jumper was 60euro even though the pound had made a massive drop.

I know they may have bought these at a different rate and they set the price to what they expect the market to pay, but by this stage people were already jumping across the border for bargains. Slow reaction to the market is probably going to close them.

A friend of mine claims in that case they are obliged to take Sterling in ROI as payment if they display in sterling. I think this is baloney, any truth in it?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

mumhaabu wrote: »
    A friend of mine claims in that case they are obliged to take Sterling in ROI as payment if they display in sterling. I think this is baloney, any truth in it?
    Sterling isn't legal tender here so I doubt there is any legal obligation for them to accept it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Vadrefjorde

pjproby wrote: »
    This is the most extraordinary thread I have ever read. People here actually wishing for job losses, store closures. A very advanced form of grave dancing by grave dancers. The last post here also urging a no vote to Lisbon. After the stores have all gone, the staff of course can emigrate. it will bring us back to the good old days of pre eu when emigration was an instrument of economic policy. Shame on those of you wishing for such a calamity to befall us.

The people here are merely pointing out inevitabilities, i would think...
    Urging a no vote has no relevance to the thread or the discussion, it's a fact that ireland had more retail outlets than was required even in the boom times, now that the credit bubble has burst and the economy which depended on a pyramid scheme of borrowing on the strength of overvalued assets has ended then obviously the retail sector will be hard hit. Even more hard hit as the very people who threw money at it regardless of price, now realise the last few years spendathon was all a big con and all they have to show for it is negative equity.
    I wouldn't blame them for being angry to be honest...
    We also have enough hotels to accomodate the population of Iceland, another sector which will see mass closures in the coming 12 months...
    The job losses and closures are an inevitability i'm afraid, and whilst i personally feel sorry for individual people who would lose their job, it's an unfortunate reality that the country needs to shed most of this excess..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,003 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I think that the government has missed a major opportunity. To follow on from their scheme where they handed out iodine tablets, so that we could all survive a direct hit from a nuke, they should now give everybody free prozac. That way, we'll still be happy, no matter how hard things get. Twenty year's worth should cover it.

The only downside would be that, when the next election comes up, we'll be so happy, that we'll inadvertently vote the bastards back in again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

I've heard from colleagues that Debenhams is in serious trouble also. They may not last 6months, but judging by quality and range of goods in recent times, it was inevitable.

Debenhams stock is particularly poor quality, whenever I've been in one of those stores I've been surprised they have any customers at all. Even the so called 'Designers at Debenahams' range(s) are shabby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

If Debehams are closing, i'm glad i never got my friend a 100euro gift card for his wedding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

A huge amount of border counties will see established and big shops close, unless they can take their prices down to compete with the North.

In Letterkenny, Currys sell a 42' Samsung plasma for €799, the exact same one costs €499(£499) in Derry, 20 minutes away. I dont know how a shop like this will last if they wont drop their prices.

Senna wrote: »
    A huge amount of border counties will see established and big shops close, unless they can take their prices down to compete with the North.

In Letterkenny, Currys sell a 42' Samsung plasma for €799, the exact same one costs €499(£499) in Derry, 20 minutes away. I dont know how a shop like this will last if they wont drop their prices.

When the times were better: A Logitech wireless keyboard in PcWorld was €59.00 - exact same in Harvey Normans up the road from me €135.00.
    Now I know there is profit but they (and there is many like them) take the pee - this is exactly where people are and will continue to show protest at such price differences! By walking away from Harvey Normans.
    Are we supposed to feel sorry then for the managing directors who are about to suffer a slight dent in their wallets if they close their stores? Nope.

We do feel for the ground staff that had to push the rip-off prices but in no way will many feel sorry to see any rip-off giants be closed after we walk away in greater numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,003 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I can see us poor people down here in Munster still getting shafted. The closer you get to the border, the more competitive the pricing will be. Unfortunately, us suckers will be subsidising the top half of the country.:(

Senna wrote: »

It may once have been the case that the fallout would have been limited to the border counties- but no longer. If you look in the carparks in Newry, Eniskillen, Lisburn or Derry- the southern regs are no longer dominated by plates from the border counties- there are cars from literally everywhere there- and why not if there is a £300 saving on the one good that you have listed- there are savings like that across the board.

Even in these economically straightened times- a monthly run up to Sprucefield for groceries makes a hell of a lot of sense. A walk around Dunnes in Eniskillen, Sainsbury's in Lisburn etc- is enough to make people angry. Nappies are well under half the price, confectionary- under 1/3 the price- frozen goods more like 45% off etc.

While the focus might be on the big ticket items- like your 42" LCD panel, the real damage is that people from as far away as Kerry and Limerick are organising regular weekly and monthly runs for their ordinary groceries- and are going to continue to do so, until some semblence of normality returns to the retail sector here. There is going to be major bloodletting- and the Harvey Normans etc are only the thin edge of the wedge..........

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I can see us poor people down here in Munster still getting shafted. The closer you get to the border, the more competitive the pricing will be. Unfortunately, us suckers will be subsidising the top half of the country.:(

Its a bit of a case of swings and roundabouts tbh.
    Petrol and diesel are most expensive in the border counties (Sligo being a major offendor)- and cheapest in Carlow/Wexford/Cork
    Ditto- furniture in Munster in cheaper than anything you'll find in Dublin or any of the border counties.

There is a perception that consumers in Munster have been a lot more willing to shop around than those in Dublin and elsewhere- with the possible exception of the DID Electricals/Powercity examples (which to be quite honest are uncompetitive with either Northern prices, or web prices).

The reason the focus is on now- is because of the lengths people are willing to go to, in order to make their shrinking salary packets go further. This is evidenced by the grocery trips from all over the country up north- and indeed if you check you'll find over night trips from Cork with delivery of your purchases by Transit home the following day. A whole new industry is springing up to make things easier for people to go North.......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

ejmaztec wrote: »

It is fairly feckin annoying alright is'nt it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Not everyone has access to a fast connection, not everyone knows how to download stuff like that, not everyone likes to break the law or risk getting caught (regardless of how small the chance is).

completely agree!

In regards to the rip-off prices in the Stirling exchange rates, there is a bit of good news there:
    Last night, one of the most influential UK fashion chains operating here said it would cut its prices in the coming weeks to reflect sterling's parity with the euro.
    Source: http://www.independent.ie/national-news/cheaper-goods-on-way-as-top-retailers-bow-to-public-anger-1588541.html
    Goods with dual price labels were found to have sterling prices of £80, while the euro price was €120, at a time when €1 is worth almost £1.

Other examples include: A dress on sale in Karen Millen for €180 in Dublin but costing just £120 in the UK -- a €60 hike for an Irish shopper A women's black, fitted jacket on sale in Marks and Spencer in Dublin for €106. The same item is just £69.50 in the UK and Northern Ireland -- a €36.50 difference A men's Working Class Hero jacket on sale in River Island for €160, but on sale in the UK for €50 less, or £110.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

+1 In the long run we are better off with more competition to keep prices down aswell as employment up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Debenhams stock is particularly poor quality, whenever I've been in one of those stores I've been surprised they have any customers at all. Even the so called 'Designers at Debenahams' range(s) are shabby.

Something I have noticed with UK stores here is that they are never as good as their stores in the UK, don't know if that is down to the management in Irish stores but always find that UK stores are much better stocked particularly in terms of food.

Advertisement