Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Store closures for 2009? [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

gurramok wrote: »
    Those brands like Oasis/Warehouse/Karen Milen are very expensive and appeal to middle class and upwards type big spenders in a credit crunch.

My missus couldn't believe that a standard dress was costing 70quid in one of those shops! :eek:
    Karen Millen is way more than 70quid, easily 200. Madness!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,397 ✭✭✭✭road_high

allanb49 wrote: »
    heard one of the big shops in dundrum Harvey Nichols is going out of there soon and hamleys too, but these are just rumours from the Easons staff.

Hamleys doesn't seem to be open 5 mins there at this stage??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Just listening to The Joe Duffy Show here, apparently Jim Langan Furniture has closed down. A load of people here on the radio saying they have lost money on furniture that they put deposits on, all the stores have not opened today, claiming an "electricial problem"...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭dubmick

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Just listening to The Joe Duffy Show here, apparently Jim Langan Furniture has closed down. A load of people here on the radio saying they have lost money on furniture that they put deposits on, all the stores have not opened today, claiming an "electricial problem"...

website is still up and running..

http://www.jimlangansfurniture1.ashopcommerce.com/

Just listening to Joe Duffy here, it's true, they've gone bang. Suppliers & customers basically raided the shops over the last few days to try to take stock in lieu of money owed...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 upnaas

Heard Jim langan furniture is closing down. The only people making money now is the liquidators. This country is in some mess and its only going to get worse

upnaas wrote: »
    Heard Jim langan furniture is closing down. The only people making money now is the liquidators. This country is in some mess and its only going to get worse

People are queuing up here on Joe Duffy to say how much they have lost. Paid for stuff up front and now they'll never see the goods they paid for...

They all seem to have lost 800-900 Euro...

Moral of the story is never pay a deposit in a recession for anything. Sam McAuleys in Naas closing down next week. Sheehy motors have receivers in at the moment. Cash is KING in a recession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

dubmick wrote: »

They probably don't run their website and have contracted it out to someone else who hasn't been told to close it down yet.

Irish businesses don't know how to do business online :(

They'll probably have it up for weeks before they realise and send the other to close it down.

Moral of the story is never pay a deposit in a recession for anything. Sam McAuleys in Naas closing down next week. Sheehy motors have receivers in at the moment. Cash is KING in a recession.

A lot of these furniture companies have a 4 week waiting period so you have to wait for your stuff to arrive and pay a deposit... Sad times though...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

dubmick wrote: »

Have a look- all the furniture on their website has been reduced to EUR0- I've just ordered 2 couches for the hell of it. Collection might be a bummer though.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

The moral of the story seems to be don't buy anything where that deals with taking your money and making you wait.

A lot of companies are refusing to do business with people who pay later attitudes so why should I risk my personal finances with businesses that might go under?

Nah, not buying anything unless I can walk out of the store with it in the current climate TBH.

thebman wrote: »
    The moral of the story seems to be don't buy anything where that deals with taking your money and making you wait.

A lot of companies are refusing to do business with people who pay later attitudes so why should I risk my personal finances with businesses that might go under?

Nah, not buying anything unless I can walk out of the store with it in the current climate TBH.

That seems to be the way things are going now. Some things though, like holidays are a hard one to call. If you buy a holiday from Budget or Falcon, you usually have to have balance cleared 6 weeks before your departure date, so you're putting your hand out to be slapped now if you buy a package holiday.

A recession is like a good dose of diarrehoa - gets rid of the ****. Over the next few months we can say good bye to interior designer shops, upmarket boutiques, several car dealers, hotels etc. Tip of the day - dont pay upfront for anything - Hotels, furniture, cars ......

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

That seems to be the way things are going now. Some things though, like holidays are a hard one to call. If you buy a holiday from Budget or Falcon, you usually have to have balance cleared 6 weeks before your departure date, so you're putting your hand out to be slapped now if you buy a package holiday.

Yeah I've been worrying about that lately. My boyfriend & I were hoping to book a summer holiday in the next few weeks but it seems like leaving it last minute is the safer option? Between the airlines & the travel providers, you don't know what's going to happen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

People are queuing up here on Joe Duffy to say how much they have lost. Paid for stuff up front and now they'll never see the goods they paid for...

They all seem to have lost 800-900 Euro...

Some have lost about 300 while others have lost up to 2.5K. Thing is, they are still taking money for furniture that's waiting in the harbour... rofl what an excuse. That company might get done for reckless trading...

Yeah I've been worrying about that lately. My boyfriend & I were hoping to book a summer holiday in the next few weeks but it seems like leaving it last minute is the safer option? Between the airlines & the travel providers, you don't know what's going to happen!

I'm lucky that my gf's sis is getting married in France in June so we are going there for our 2 week break and hopefully Aer Lingus will stay afloat until then! If they go bang after I get there, I don't give a f*ck!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭ongarite

From what I've heard Diamond Living is in no better shape and could be on the brink also.
    If they go to, it leaves feck all furniture retailers in Ireland.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

ongarite wrote: »
    it leaves feck all furniture retailers in Ireland.

Well- there will always be Ikea :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,244 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Could your credit card have some sort of protection for this? Also, I seem to remember there was some difference between booking with an airline and booking through a travel agent - something to do with the levels of protection, but I can't remember the details. I think it was covered a few months ago when a couple of agencies went to the wall.

• Advertisement

While Ikea is great for us all, its going to hurt the oppostion big time and its not even open yet! Whats going to happen when it opens!!! My cousin cancelled her wedding in the Killashee Hotel in Naas for next year, she loses out on 500 quid but has heard rumours its closing up.

While Ikea is great for us all, its going to hurt the oppostion big time and its not even open yet! Whats going to happen when it opens!!! My cousin cancelled her wedding in the Killashee Hotel in Naas for next year, she loses out on 500 quid but has heard rumours its closing up.

I was at a wedding there last year and it was brilliant. I'd be surprised if that place was closing, doesn't Niall Quinn have a big stake in that hotel??? Deep "recession-proof" pockets there I'd have thought...

As far as I know, Quinn just does a bit of PR for the Hotel. The owner has a stake in Sunderland - jack Tierney and is going thru a messy divorce. But look, rumours are rife these days. All we hear is bad news. TV, print and radio. I think Irish people love bad news and love hearing companies are closing.

As far as I know, Quinn just does a bit of PR for the Hotel. The owner has a stake in Sunderland - jack Tierney and is going thru a messy divorce. But look, rumours are rife these days. All we hear is bad news. TV, print and radio. I think Irish people love bad news and love hearing companies are closing.

I was only at a wedding there last September and it wasn't cheap and it was also packed full. It was around 200 Euro a night and we stayed there for a night after the wedding and there was another wedding there the next day, helicopters queuing up to land outside the hotel and everything, I wouldn't say that place would be closing anytime soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,244 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Wedding rate there is normally €170 including breakfast. Not cheap, but not way above the average either. We got married there two years ago, would be sorry to see it close down.

eoin wrote: »
    Wedding rate there is normally €170 including breakfast. Not cheap, but not way above the average either. We got married there two years ago, would be sorry to see it close down.

The room we stayed in was like something out of the Harry Potter film. Beautiful place, Eddie Hobbs was floating around the place when we were there. Seemed to be doing fine when I was there and wouldn't like to see it close.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Just listening to Joe Duffy here, it's true, they've gone bang. Suppliers & customers basically raided the shops over the last few days to try to take stock in lieu of money owed...

Thats unreal.

How long before we see things like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

M&S Tallaght are taking court action to get out of their lease in the Glasshaus there. Such a shame, there's hardly ever anyone in the food hall which makes it a great spot for doing the shopping. That could be contributing to them trying to get out of course :)

Mini Golf in newbridge closing down, what a shame, love that place, did wonders for my putting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Tippex

The one thing about booking with the likes of budget / Falcon is both of them are bonded so if they were to go belly up and you have booked your package with them you are covered by their bond and can claim on the aviationreg.ie site. You can also see a list of all bonded tour operators / travel agents on the site.

However if you were to book individual components yourself you are not covered this would include if you booked flights on an airlines site and your hotel on the hotel site and you find out when you are away that the airline has gone bust you have no comeback. Whereas if you booked your package through a bonded tour operator / travel agent then you are covered.

Also Falcon are part of TUI so they have a pretty large company behind them.
    Whereas budget are part of the primera group.

Advertisement