Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Store closures for 2009? [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Bruce2008 wrote: »
    I take it you are not from one of these 'little sh*tholes' round the country...maybe you are from one of the bigger ones....so anyone in these little places are not entitled to be close to some of these shops??? Listen....if they were not making money through the good years then they would not have stayed in these little holes...

As for harvey norman and the'worst decision they ever made'....what a joke...how many years have they been trading here..in profit without a doubt...now sales are down they curse the day they came here....what a load of sh*te...let them go back to where they came from but don't slag off the country they have been feeding off for the last few years....

I still maintain that the retail park in sligo could have been a great success if the major shops were allowed in to attract the population in the area...and the building of the other three or four other retail parks (which are and have been mostly empty from day one) was refused planning or at least limited to different business types.....we would then have had a good quality retail park rather than a lot of empty ones...quality not quantity....

I see it in Letterkenny. Far too many shops too close to the Border. Even when the Euro was weak it still was a concern.

Sligo and Letterkenny are not Dublin or Cork. Too many towns thought they would be!

The reasons the shops are closing is the demand isn't there. Simple as.

A town of 20/30,000 can only support so many shops, houses, services etc.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Bruce2008 wrote: »
    I think it is actually Harvey Norman throwing the strop!!!

I don't here any other business complaining about the 'worst decision they ever made'...at least not in public!!!

And by the way...I did not come here to be judged or commented on because of my view, if you do not agree with my view then reply about the subject....not about me....considering you don't know me or what country I am from I find the comment
    a bit of an insult...we are here to discuss topics....not try and poke jibes or comments at other members....so please if you have to make a comment about someone then look in the mirror and do it....:D

A lot of businesses are nowhere near as "pot committed" as Harvey Norman. They went "all in" when they came to Ireland, a more sensible strategy would have been to take a more cautious approach to a new market but they landed here and took prime real estate that you could turn a 747 in, I couldn't even imagine the rent and rates alone that they are paying on some of their flagship outlets in Ireland. You'd need serious turnover just to pay the overheads for a business model like that and when people have stopped spending, you are very quickly in the manure business...

Darragh29 wrote: »
    A lot of businesses are nowhere near as "pot committed" as Harvey Norman. They went "all in" when they came to Ireland, a more sensible strategy would have been to take a more cautious approach to a new market but they landed here and took prime real estate that you could turn a 747 in, I couldn't even imagine the rent and rates alone that they are paying on some of their flagship outlets in Ireland. You'd need serious turnover just to pay the overheads for a business model like that and when people have stopped spending, you are very quickly in the manure business...

True, I'd say the main reason they are staying is to try and justify the expenditure in some way.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

The computer component store, Max Burns on the Quay has closed down in the last week or so.
    I've a fecking 195€ crd note of them with is now not even worth the paper it;s printed on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Seanies32 wrote: »
    True, I'd say the main reason they are staying is to try and justify the expenditure in some way.

I have a theory on this that if your losing, well then sometimes your better off losing quickly and losing cheap. I don't think their business model is sustainable in Ireland anymore, because it is based on cash being p*ssed around all over the place and I genuinely don't think we're going back there for a long time to come.

• Advertisement

I have a theory on this that if your losing, well then sometimes your better off losing quickly and losing cheap. I don't think their business model is sustainable in Ireland anymore, because it is based on cash being p*ssed around all over the place and I genuinely don't think we're going back there for a long time to come.

Completely agreed. 17 Stores is mad.

Bruce2008 would love to have them in Sligo. Sure things must be great if there in Sligo!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

I don;t know about Peter marks but Fields jewellery have signs up saying "Closing down sale" and then right under that a sign saying "Re-Opening in April"

Edit:

It maybe April or March, I can try recheck sometime next week.
    Biggins wrote: »
    A friend was up in the Pavilions yesterday and mentioned to me that he thought it was strange that Peter Mark's was closed and Fields jewellery there were having a closing down sale. Dunnes Stores in Donaghmede was completely empty no shelves or anything left up (someone else might confirm this).

Even though it's a friend, I still won't take anything these days as gospel unless it's confirmed by others.
    I can say that a neighbour of mine runs a big landscaping business and he tells me tonight that its VERY hard to get payments off his customers now for work done.

This and next month are particular going to be worrying - the rest of the year - I fear for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Linku wrote: »
    I'm sick and tired of people starting threads like this about various companies with zero facts, and no links.

"Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true"

And if tv says it, then its gotta be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Show_me_Safety

im just think about this a little more...this could be quite scary.

I have a theory on this that if your losing, well then sometimes your better off losing quickly and losing cheap.

Have you been reading Richard Bransons books* on how to succeed in business, he never tries to support a failing enterprise - he just sells it before the shtf.

*edit: if he has ever written one - but that's how he works

• Advertisement

BOFH_139 wrote: »
    I've a fecking 195€ crd note of them with is now not even worth the paper it;s printed on.

I cashed in a couple of credit notes (all of them)recently with several local shops, just in case!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 fumpidge

The computer component store, Max Burns on the Quay has closed down in the last week or so.
    They have not closed down, they have moved back to the Tallaght. Rent was too high for them in Batchelors walk and the greedy landlord wanted an increase. Give them a shout, the lads are genuine, they will be opening again soon in another location.

http://www.dmdirect.ie/

Superquinn closing Dundalk branch and shedding 400 jobs overall.

They bought in 05 for €450 million. Sales and Leaseback on 6 stores raised €140 million. Wonder how much the Leases are?

The Border areas are really struggling.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

They bought in 05 for €450 million. Sales and Leaseback on 6 stores raised €140 million. Wonder how much the Leases are?

Bollox!
    The management meeting in Lucan after Christmas was told that sales over the Christmas period were the best they have yet had- however as one of the managers told me- most of that was people in at their 70s weekends looking for bargains.

Superquinn is very expensive when compared to the other supermarkets- but they do have a lot of very good high quality products- like their deli meats, that you can't get similar elsewhere. Also the customer service there is far better than elsewhere- and you don't feel like you're in a warehouse (for the most part).

Not good news at all........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Thats two FF TD's in the area that will lose votes - if true. Seamus Kirk and Dermot Ahearn. Its the only good thing about this possible closure.
    Damn shame about Superquinn - my genuine sympathies to out to all involved.
    Dundalk will be hit hard over the coming year on its industrial estates and shopping alone, even more now. Domino effect... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

smccarrick wrote: »
    Superquinn is very expensive when compared to the other supermarkets- but they do have a lot of very good high quality products- like their deli meats, that you can't get similar elsewhere. Also the customer service there is far better than elsewhere- and you don't feel like you're in a warehouse (for the most part).

Not good news at all........

The quality of superquinn has gone down since the take-over. Prices have stayed the same though. Stopped shopping there even before the melt-down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 FlutterInBum

dresden8 wrote: »
    The quality of superquinn has gone down since the take-over. Prices have stayed the same though. Stopped shopping there even before the melt-down.

Of all the super markets in the republic I find it the best for value and variety. Best variety of tuna I have ever come across.

I like tuna :o

Bollox!
    The management meeting in Lucan after Christmas was told that sales over the Christmas period were the best they have yet had- however as one of the managers told me- most of that was people in at their 70s weekends looking for bargains.

Maybe large numbers but just buying the bargains. I can see why Dundalk would go.
    Biggins wrote: »
    Thats two FF TD's in the area that will lose votes - if true. Seamus Kirk and Dermot Ahearn. Its the only good thing about this possible closure.
    Damn shame about Superquinn - my genuine sympathies to out to all involved.
    Dundalk will be hit hard over the coming year on its industrial estates and shopping alone, even more now. Domino effect... :(

Was all over the news today.
    dresden8 wrote: »

I'd heard that. Used to love it when I was in Dublin, great Service and F. Quinn had a great reputation as an employer.
    Of all the super markets in the republic I find it the best for value and variety. Best variety of tuna I have ever come across.

I like tuna :o

You'd better stock up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 FlutterInBum

You'd better stock up!

I do already :):o

http://www.callipo.com/en/products/vetro_callipo_olio.htm

Too yummy!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

When Superquinn was in the news back in August, one of their idiotic directors was peddling a €50 bottle of water. A bit of "fun" for their customers, she said. lol. How quickly things have changed.

I miss Feargal. The guys who took over share none of his philosophy. Nor honesty.

• Advertisement

when i was in school superquinn was the weekend job to have! i was so envious of them my friends who worked there...even tho years later some of them are still tere!
    i always thought the customer service is great and fearghals book is a good read for anyone who deals with customers.
    my mam says that is has gone done since the take-over.
    i like the darkwood floors too- it's like a boutique supermarket!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 poilk

A lot of the furniture shops are gona go bust when the new Ikea opens in Ballymun.

poilk wrote: »
    A lot of the furniture shops are gona go bust when the new Ikea opens in Ballymun.

If it does?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Finian McGrath was on the last word this evening calling for the ikea store to be allowed open now rather than wait for M50 works to be completed. Basically that in this current enconomic environment we need those 400 or so jobs now rather that whenever the nra finish the m50.

Obvious points against that would be traffic but I'm not sure if that would be too big an issue tbh - particularly at peak times as no one in their right mind goes near the m50 and peak times unless the have too (particularly with all the ongoing work). And also that it could have a negative effect on jobs in other furniture shops in the area which was always going to be a major risk. Would be interesting to hear what sort of affect them opening in Belfast had on the existing furniture stores there.

Either way afaik it's a stipulation of their planning conditions that they have to wait for the m50 works so they'd probably need to appeal that or submit a fresh application to be allowed open any sooner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Have heard from someone who works in BTW tilesavers that they will be closing up within the next few weeks. Would say avoid them if that's true as you could be left hanging.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

When Superquinn was in the news back in August, one of their idiotic directors was peddling a €50 bottle of water. A bit of "fun" for their customers, she said. lol. How quickly things have changed.

I miss Feargal. The guys who took over share none of his philosophy. Nor honesty.

They still have that stupid water (in Lucan anyway).Think its called 'Bling' water complete with crystals encrusted on the bottle. We always look it out at the back of the alcohol section just to have a laugh. Last laugh on us I guess.

They still have that stupid water (in Lucan anyway).Think its called 'Bling' water complete with crystals encrusted on the bottle. We always look it out at the back of the alcohol section just to have a laugh. Last laugh on us I guess.

sold out in knocklyon the weekend they had it!

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭hotshots85

There open in tallaght now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

A number of restaurants have closed since Christmas.

Coopers on Lesson Street.
    Floridita on Abbey Street.
    Cookes on South William Street.

• Advertisement

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunnyside
    Show_me_Safety I feel bad for your friend in Awear, keep us updated. Actually it's so true what you said that she'd probably hear about it on the Metro before the actual staff get told by company owners, that's horrible but seems to be true of most businesses.

HR rang them today to see who in the store is on a permanent contract, and who is on temporary. they took 760 euro today.

well...news...everyone's hours have been cut in half.
    her take home pay after her travel will be a fiver more than the dole would be...crap

Advertisement