Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Store closures for 2009? [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Show_me_Safety

sunnyside wrote: »
    Interesting, I would have thought AWear would be ok because the prices there are reasonable but that Peter O Brien range which must have cost a fortune to make compared to their usual stuff didn't sell very well. I hope Awear stays, lots of shops wouldn't be as busy now as before Christmas so they wouldn't need as many staff.

There's no Awear on O'Connell st so that can't be Darragh's news.

my friend is one her wits end, she'd probably year about it in the metro before she's officially told!

i'd imagine the likes of henry street, grafton street and dundrum remain, but she's in a smaller store.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

i'd imagine the likes of henry street, grafton street and dundrum remain, but she's in a smaller store.

Don't bet on it. They got nowhere when they tried to renegotiate some of the leases- and footfall even on the likes of Grafton Street is at scarey levels. The smaller stores might actually be the ones that survive- because their overheads are so much lower than some of the more prestigious locations...... Up Grafton Street direction the mantra appears to be let the lease holder go bust before you consider lowering the rental yield....... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Most peoples hours are slashed everywhere tbh. Mine are hovering around 16, they were 34ish a few weeks ago which isn't so bad since I'm just part-time but the same thing is happening to full timers. (Dunnes). A-Wear isn't safe anymore since it no longer has the protection of Brown Thomas and 1k is atrocious..it'd probably struggle to make to to Christmas 2009 at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Darragh29 wrote: »
    I already said I can't, I'm not doing their dirty work! In fairness to the outlet, if I post it up here I could be infracted or banned for exposing boards.ie to litigation...

I guessing you work for the place who is based on O'Connell St?

How else would you know a place is going out of business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

swingking wrote: »
    I guessing you work for the place who is based on O'Connell St?

How else would you know a place is going out of business

No, already explained how I have this information in an earlier post...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

What is this.. twenty focking questions?

"I know something you don't nah nah nah-nah nah"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

No, already explained how I have this information in an earlier post...

Didn't you post a similar post a couple months ago about an Irish bank that would be gone within a week?

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Didn't you post a similar post a couple months ago about an Irish bank that would be gone within a week?

Well if you want to get into an off topic discussion about that, a bank with a market valuation of under 200 Million Euro but debts of several hundred billion Euro, is a bank in a permanent vegative state, being kept alive by an artificial injection of undeserved and immoral funds. The post mortem still has to be done on Anglo by the way because time of death hasn't been called yet.

I didn't think our politicans were that corrupt that they would sell the deeds to Paddy's Green Shamrock Shore in order to put a dead beat bank on a life support machine.

BTW, in the bank case, I was offering my opinion, which is just that, an opinion. Same goes here, my friend who is a creditor of this company has stopped supplying them and reckons they will pull down the shutters this month. I happen to agree with him. He could indeed be wrong and I could indeed be wrong, hence why I can't name the business in question here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I know of another retail chain that is about to pull down the shutters, but can't mention it here as I was told by a creditor of the company that has lost a lot of money. I reckon this business has around 20-30 outlets around the country.

So you don't actually know there IS a shop about to close down. You only heard from a creditor.

swingking wrote: »
    So you don't actually know there IS a shop about to close down. You only heard from a creditor.

Creditors begin the process of closing down a business, informally first by refusing to continue supplying the company with products and services until the account is returned to order and then formally by petitioning the High Court to have the company wound up or put into liquidation if the account is not put into order, so that assets can be sold to pay off debts.

That is what is happening here at the moment, the process has been started. You won't hear about it until it gets into the High Court.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

A friend was up in the Pavilions yesterday and mentioned to me that he thought it was strange that Peter Mark's was closed and Fields jewellery there were having a closing down sale. Dunnes Stores in Donaghmede was completely empty no shelves or anything left up (someone else might confirm this).

Even though it's a friend, I still won't take anything these days as gospel unless it's confirmed by others.
    I can say that a neighbour of mine runs a big landscaping business and he tells me tonight that its VERY hard to get payments off his customers now for work done.

This and next month are particular going to be worrying - the rest of the year - I fear for the future.

Biggins wrote: »
    I can say that a neighbour of mine runs a big landscaping business and he tells me tonight that its VERY hard to get payments off his customers now for work done.

This and next month are particular going to be worrying - the rest of the year - I fear for the future.

It's crazy what is going on out there. I'm chasing invoices of 3K and 3.7K issued to two companies and these companies are turning over around 2-3 million Euro, and they cannot write a cheque for 3K.

One of our customers have recently sent out a letter stating that they will not pay for any goods or service unless the original order was personally signed by the CEO.
    I wonder of that means he is now signing orders for paperclips etc :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,985 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Peared wrote: »
    What is this.. twenty focking questions?

"I know something you don't nah nah nah-nah nah"

Yep it's pretty silly and childish at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

None of the Dunnes shops appear to have new Spring stock. I've been convinced for ages that Dunnes clothing and household is doing very badly but they probably do most of their business selling food. I think they own the buildings they operate from which would help.

I always used to think jobs in retail were so safe, I don't think any of us could have imagined people would stop shopping.

Show_me_Safety I feel bad for your friend in Awear, keep us updated. Actually it's so true what you said that she'd probably hear about it on the Metro before the actual staff get told by company owners, that's horrible but seems to be true of most businesses.

Darragh29 Can you just go away with the guessing game, it isn't contributing anything to what is otherwise a very informative discussion. There are many shops in the same position as the one you are speculating about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Has dunnes in the iLAC shopping centre started to close down ? only seen the ground floor open and all the lights where off upstairs.

Dunnes just got spring stock in the last few days, yep it was looking dodgy for ages with huge gaps everywhere and there still is gaps but not near as bad. Childrens and Homewares got stock too, I assume Mens did also. It's actually not doing that badly, in my store drapery still takes in 60ish K a day, grocery a bit less than that. I really like the Ilac (drapery) Dunnes and I think loads of people remain faithful to it over Henry Street, but they're just too near and it probably will go. The main problem is the budget allocated to stores for wages etc. Everyone's hours part-time, flexi etc are hovering around the limit, 15 hours for part-time and flexi and 20 for full-time, all Christmas and staff on probation have been let go and they're moving staff around, spreading the problem of being short-staffed. It's ridiculously short-staffed! And they turned off the heating on the shop floor 2 days last week, scabby. So it's all the store budget's fault really, figures are the same this time last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Any ideas why only the ground floor was open in the ilac centre on Sunday ?
    The escellators were turned off aswell and there wasn't any stock on display upstairs (looking at it from outside)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I always used to think jobs in retail were so safe, I don't think any of us could have imagined people would stop shopping.

Well people can't spend what they don't have. They were and now there is a credit crunch so they are mostly just fooked. I can't believe people were borrowing so much to buy things. That was just stupid behavior with their finances.

Can't give information on how I know this but there are a third of jobs being advertised on most jobs sites if even compared to October last year. These are employer advertised job and excludes jobs posted by recruitment agencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

looks like the guess store on south anne st is gone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

brim4brim wrote: »

Can't give information on how I know this but there are a third of jobs being advertised on most jobs sites if even compared to October last year. These are employer advertised job and excludes jobs posted by recruitment agencies.

Did you find out from the creditor of Burger King on O' Connell St?

Darragh29 Can you just go away with the guessing game, it isn't contributing anything to what is otherwise a very informative discussion.

I didn't start a guessing game. I posted something here, I said in the original post that I couldn't name the business for the most obvious of reasons and everyone immediately starts trying to guess the name of the business involved.
    There are many shops in the same position as the one you are speculating about.

I know there are, hence why we are discussing it here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Did you find out from the creditor of Burger King on O' Connell St?

Ah crap, how did you know? Now he's going to fire me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Damn, manys the Student dinner was Findus Chicken & Bacon Crispy pancakes.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

311 wrote: »
    Any ideas why only the ground floor was open in the ilac centre on Sunday ?
    The escellators were turned off aswell and there wasn't any stock on display upstairs (looking at it from outside)

Haven't a clue. They can't really permanently close off the top floor..it has childrens and mens as well as home..it's all or nothing really. It might eventually close completely on a Sunday, the Grafton Street Dunnes does this too..time and a half wages etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

My hubby has to take a 15% cut in wages,already did that a few years ago when the company was going bad and was beginning to come right and its happened again.At least he still has a job for now anyway,its a very stressful time for everybody,good luck everyone for the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭lost_soul

I'm guessing Peter Marks.... (it must be the only one not said now)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Jack & Jones in Tallaght had a closing down sale there over the Christmas, I was hoping to get even cheaper clothes coming to the closing day, I was too late, the shops gone now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Didn't see it mentioned but looks like trouble here at Segate in the North

Peter Marks sounds like a good guess to me!

Advertisement