Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Store closures for 2009? [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

Staff were told today that they have 10 weekes to get the sales up or there would be one of three decisions made,
    1 - cutback on staff and wages (they have allready done that)
    2 - close the stores that are not performing,
    3 - pull out of ireland alltogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Are Dixons part of that chain? If so, they'd be going too surely.
    Actually are Dixons even in Ireland anymore? :confused:

Someone is going to ask so may as well do it now, what's your source? Are you staff?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

mikemac wrote: »
    Are Dixons part of that chain? If so, they'd be going too surely.

Actually are Dixons even in Ireland anymore? :confused:

As far as I know Currys are Dixons now.
    Only guessing but I'd say the most viable option will be to cut back on the number of stores they have.
    Sticking with the ones that regular go over the profit mark waterline best.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

Pulling out can have serious complications

They should really use a condom!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSG_International_(retailer)
    DSG international plc (LSE: DSGI) (Dixons Store Group) is one of the largest consumer electronics retailers in Europe. The company operates the Dixons, Dixons Tax Free, Currys, Currys.digital, PC World and Electro World stores along with many other brands across Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I thought all Dixons stores are closed or changed to Curry's. Dixons is now the online retailer for them. Curry's homeware crap like washing machines and PC world is PC's and other electronic crap that goes with PCs.

I think it might be hard for them to pull out. Sure didn't they invest in the Jervis. That must have some lease agreement. Also didn't they sign a deal with Dell to sell their laptops in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Good riddance to overpriced rubbish tbh, turn the sites into Aldis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

it seems that joe public is voteing with his cash on their prices and quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭JDxtra

They will not be missed. It might also create a gap in the market for another player to come in. Somebody who has reasonable pricing [which is actually displayed] and good service would be very welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,024 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Perhaps they're hoping to get their rents reduced by their charitable property-developing landlords.

JDxtra wrote: »
    They will not be missed. It might also create a gap in the market for another player to come in. Somebody who has reasonable pricing [which is actually displayed] and good service would be very welcome.

If they pull out, the buildings will be empty for years, as no retailer in his right mind would try and take over from where they left off. They'd want to see a sizeable increase in consumer activity before risking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,227 ✭✭✭ongarite

JDxtra wrote: »

Who exactly would come in with the retail maket the way it is now?
    DID & PowerCity aren't going to spend lots of cash expanding now, Harvey Horman aren't doing too well also & I can't see Comet or John Lewis willing to try their luck in Ireland for a few years.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

ejmaztec wrote: »
    If they pull out, the buildings will be empty for years, as no retailer in his right mind would try and take over from where they left off. They'd want to see a sizeable increase in consumer activity before risking it.

Media Markt / Wortem?
    We're one of only 3 old memberstate EU countries they don't have a presence in.

Their business model could pull it off- if they had reasonable expectations.

Then again what I usually do is window shop in Media Markt, and then buy online..... I suppose others do the same?

smccarrick wrote: »
    Media Markt / Wortem?
    We're one of only 3 old memberstate EU countries they don't have a presence in.

Their business model could pull it off- if they had reasonable expectations.

Then again what I usually do is window shop in Media Markt, and then buy online..... I suppose others do the same?

I've visited Media Markt and didn't see any prices to write home about, although you could probably fit an Irish village into one of their stores.

I don't think that the numbers would be viable outside Dublin and Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Is it true that Tubs and Tiles are closing too?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,227 ✭✭✭ongarite

junkyard wrote: »
    Is it true that Tubs and Tiles are closing too?

They are closing Tubs & Tiles in Tullamore and looking to close others too.
    They are owned by the Wolseley group who laid off 20% of its workforce today.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Perhaps they're hoping to get their rents reduced by their charitable property-developing landlords.

Wishful thinking, They'll just write off the losses from having no lenants against tax(payers). :mad:

Wishful thinking, They'll just write off the losses from having no lenants against tax(payers). :mad:

I expect the developers have huge loans against these properties, so would soon be in deep sh1t were a few tenants to take off. It would still be the tax-payers in even deeper sh1t afterwards though. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

xtravision !!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

xtravision !!!!!!!!!!

They have been trying desperately to reposition themselves in the market - just look at Blockbuster - but I really can see what they are aiming for. So far it seems to be a weird mix of rentals, electronics (including phones), games and a sprinkling of music. None of these are a real money spinner, however. Yeah, I wouldn't be too surprised if they go bust, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

i reckon they will be gone in the next 18 mths or so. they have tried so many avenues as you have mentioned but i reckon they are dying a slow death. if you look at their opening hours they have been cutting back over the last couple of months.

arent they owned by blockbuster?

im not sure what put is putting an end to xtra vision whether it is sky, dodgy free cable boxes or torrents but they def seem to be on the way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Eurospar and Super Value gone in Letterkenny. No surprise.

Not Sterling, way too over developed.

3 new Restaurants open though. Go figure?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

They have been trying desperately to reposition themselves in the market - just look at Blockbuster - but I really can see what they are aiming for. So far it seems to be a weird mix of rentals, electronics (including phones), games and a sprinkling of music. None of these are a real money spinner, however. Yeah, I wouldn't be too surprised if they go bust, too.

I don't know if they are in that much trouble. Maybe some branches.

They also do satnavs, tvs, MP3 players and a lot of other things. I imagine enough of them are generating electronics.

They weren't aiming for random things, they were/are becoming an entertainment store for the media and the devices to play the media on.

Not a bad idea and they have had some good offers. Don't know if it will pay off for them though. I think the biggest turn off on tvs and the like is the lack of information about the tv on display. like I'm going to buy a tv without knowing the full specs (I know some people will).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

heard one of the big shops in dundrum Harvey Nichols is going out of there soon and hamleys too, but these are just rumours from the Easons staff.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I can't imagine Harvey Nichols is doing well at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

I see the company that owns Oasis went into administration today. I think they have shops in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭JennyAnt

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    I see the company that owns Oasis went into administration today. I think they have shops in Dublin.

Yep they did, same company also owns Karen Millen and Warehouse....although the latter just opened a new flagship store across from Stephens Green Centre....

Have heard A/Wear are in serious trouble too.

• Subscribers Posts: 342 ✭✭NicsM

IvaBigWun wrote: »

Something like 49% of Mosaic was owned by the Icelandic company, Baugur and this was a case of when, not if. I work for one of the other brands in that chain and just got a phonecall from my boss informing me that we went into administration....my stomach was in knots until she said that we've been taken over and will be a part of a new chain of the 4 most profitable brands. 31 of the UK stores will be closing within a week though.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Those brands like Oasis/Warehouse/Karen Milen are very expensive and appeal to middle class and upwards type big spenders in a credit crunch.

My missus couldn't believe that a standard dress was costing 70quid in one of those shops! :eek:

Advertisement