Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proud to be Irish moment?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭cherrypicker555

gurramok wrote: »
    What identity? They either are Irish or British. They could of chosen to have an Irish identity to be loyal to the Union but they dropped it of their own free will.

So? They are part of non-republican Irish culture as well, no-one has exclusive rights to it.

Whats wrong with saying Irish in first place?

If we go by your interpretation, then only 18% do call themselves Irish and British, thats a condition they bring into the equation.

So when someone asks, what nationality are you? They answer 'Irish and British! :rolleyes:

Where did you get 58% of the population figure from?

Regarding the 18%(not 17%), that leaves a massive 82% who do NOT see themselves as having any Irishness at all.

I have just explained to you they have been on the end of a bombing campaign for 35 years to ethnically cleanse them and their unionist identity, its no they became coy about Irishness and in the 70s embrassed an Ulster idenitity, but as I said things are slowly changing unionists are once more starting to have St Pats day parades,etc.

And the UDR has become part of the Royal IRISH Regiment.

But it seems many like yourself love to s*** stir and hark back to the good old days of people being blown up etc, while you watch it all from your armchair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I have just explained to you they have been on the end of a bombing campaign for 35 years to ethnically cleanse them and their unionist identity, its no they became coy about Irishness and in the 70s embrassed an Ulster idenitity, but as I said things are slowly changing unionists are once more starting to have St Pats day parades,etc.

Now, that is a lie. They dropped the Irish part of their heritage in 1922, not in the 70's. Anything referring to Irish was removed, just like the RIC was changed to the RUC.
    And the UDR has become part of the Royal IRISH Regiment.

Yes it did, in 1992. They were the Ulster DR formed in 1970 and before that the Ulster Special Constabulary(B Specials) which were formed in the 1920's. No sign of an Irish name there.
    But it seems many like yourself love to s*** stir and hark back to the good old days of people being blown up etc, while you watch it all from your armchair.

Huh? You trying to label me as something here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

So some of the Irish rugby team who won on Saturday beating England are not actually Irish cause they are also British citizens ?
    Sure wasn't half of Jack Charlton's side English blokes playing under the granny rule :). Still in all fairness to the English blokes doubtless they propably were indifferent to standing for Amhrán na bhFiann etc unlike some of the unionists down the years like former rugby international Davy Tweed who led the secterian harrassment and intimadtion of mass goers to the Harryville Catholic Church in Balymena.
    Frank Ryan spent the war in Germany as a Nazi quisling anyone with a small knowledge of wartime Irish history knows that.
    Your the one who claimed that " IRA commander Frank Ryan worked for a nazi dept,whos leader was later hanged for exterminating serbs. " but when asked to provide reliable information to back it up couldn't as it's just makey uppey fiction - just like your assertion on this thread that Sinn Fein's vote in 1918 was due to intimadation and threats.
    gurramok wrote: »
    So when someone asks, what nationality are you? They answer 'Irish and British! :rolleyes:
    :D Good one gurramok. Yes and they also claim to be Northern Irish, Ulstermen and best of all Ulster Scots :)
    http://www.ulsterscotsagency.com/.

So if someone asks what nationality they are don't be surprised to hear them say - British and Irish and Northern Irish and Ulstermen and Ulster Scots !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 advn45

http://www.t-timeuk.biz/irish%20guards.jpg

Nothing Shall Separate.

We will defend our heritage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭spiderman1885

Watching most of our country argue over trivial things like this... Whenever something like this is brought up, it always ends up in an argument like this! Classic Irish behaviour!

But no seriously, Italia 90' , Robbie Keane's goal against Germany in 2002 & the Jason McAteer ad where we won the World Cup! If you take it seriously, you get a real sense of pride, and damn it, it was possible in 2002!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭cherrypicker555

Watching most of our country argue over trivial things like this... Whenever something like this is brought up, it always ends up in an argument like this! Classic Irish behaviour!

But no seriously, Italia 90' , Robbie Keane's goal against Germany in 2002 & the Jason McAteer ad where we won the World Cup! If you take it seriously, you get a real sense of pride, and damn it, it was possible in 2002!

Well according to the republicans above McAteer is not Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭spiderman1885

hahaha... I dont even know what to say! Apart from the fact that he was only part? Irish anyway. Irish through a Fifa rule?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

My proudest Irish moment was the Queen Mother meeting loyal and true Irishmen and presents the Shamrock.

God Bless you Mam ( sob, sob ) from a Loyal southern Catholic Irishman like myself (sob, sob).

Drillceremonial2.jpg

Advertisement