Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proud to be Irish moment?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I wasn't around for Italia 90' but, qualifying for the World Cup 2002 was something special. Especially after not qualifying for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

A Catholic?

Maybe Todolist is a Kennedy. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭todolist

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Maybe Todolist is a Kennedy. :D
    Why the jokes? An Irish American becomes President of The United States in 1960.That's amazing achievement for a tiny island like ours.Something we all should be proud of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

todolist wrote: »
    Why the jokes? An Irish American becomes President of The United States in 1960.That's amazing achievement for a tiny island like ours.Something we all should be proud of.

For the time - 1960 - it was a huge moment for the country. The older generation at that time, born from 1880 on, had listened to first hand accounts of the Famine and lived through the evictions and almost annihilation of vast areas of the countryside. For an Irish Famine descendant to become president of the US in 1960 was enormous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Centauro

Indeed, this tiny Island has a lot to be proud of.

1. Andrew Jackson. 7th President. 1829 1837. Co. Antrim.

2. James Knox Polk. 11th President. 1845 1849. Co. Londonderry.

3. James Buchanan. 15th President. 1857 1861. Co. Tyrone.

4. Andrew Johnson. 17th President. 1865 1869. Co. Antrim.

5. Ulysses S. Grant. 18th President. 1869 1877. Co. Tyrone.

6. Chester A. Arthur. 21st President. 1881 1885. Co. Antrim.

7. Stephen Grover Cleveland. 22nd & 24th President. 1885 1889,1893 1897.

8. Benjamin Harrison. 23rd 1889 1893. Co. Antrim.

9. William McKinley. 25th 1897 1901. Co. Antrim.

10. Theodore Roosevelt. 26th 1901 1904. Co. Antrim.

11. Thomas Woodrow Wilson. 28th 1913 1921. Co. Tyrone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

Your opinion, of course, but by mine: Like hell it is. He wasn't Irish. His father wasn't Irish. They had nothing to do with Ireland and did nothing for it.
    The myths about JFK and his legendary status on this island are simply hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭garrincha62

Anytime I'm on a beach in the tropics and the men are wearing the tightest of the tight speedos and posturing and striding manfully up and down the shore eyeing up the ladies I think to myself that no self respecting Irish man* would don that kind of attire and behave in such a brazen way and then I think that I am proud to be Irish.

*Portions of D4 male population excluded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Svenolsen

I'd say those guys in the picture are from Ireland all right !!!!!!

McArmalite wrote: »
    Royal ' Irish ' Regiment ??

rir_afghanistan.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Centauro wrote: »
    Watching the boys from the Royal Irish Regiment march past Belfast city hall.

Here's my one 69724.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I think when I hear an Irish band i.e. U2 etc playing in a foreign pub or sports venue..or when I hear the National Anthem..never fails to bring tears to me eyes..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

silverharp wrote: »
    The Dev rebuttal radio speech to Churchill after the war was pretty cool.

The Mary Robinson Presidency

And more recently the hosting of the special olympics was impressive and to quote my German wife "you see, the Irish can organise something that works":D
    thats not that impressive irelands backing of adolf hitler during the war led to a russian veto for ireland joining the united nations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

I'd have to go with hearing the anthems being sung at the Ireland vs. England game at Croke Park. It felt as if Ireland had grown up and now stood not as servant, not as rebel, not as enemy, but as an equal nation. Getting past the hatred, and getting on with business. I was mighty proud that day.

Did they play our anthem? Do they play Amhrann na bhFiann at rugby now? I can never get excited about Ireand v England rugby as (far as Im still aware) the fact we dont play the anthem makes the entire thing laughable, it imakes it nothing more than a provincial derby game about as far removed from national pride as you can imagine, and Im baffled as to why the country goes absoloutely spare when the fixture rolls around every 2 or so years. Rep of Ireland vs England soccer- now THATS a grudge fixture :) (a rare one, unfortunately)

Bonners save, O`Learys goal in 1990 has to be the height of it for me :) The Reeling in the Years edit/music is brilliant.

When exactly did Ireland back Hitler? Proof, examples would be nice...

That is utter nonsense and has no basis in fact. Ireland unofficially supported the Allies and assisted where possible during WWII while giving the air of complete neutrality.
    this evidence is not hard to find-put up hitler and ireland on the net you will also find not only did the irish goverment tell the german goverment that the were sorry about hitlers death they also offered sanctuary to german war criminals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

shane86 wrote: »
    Did they play our anthem? Do they play Amhrann na bhFiann at rugby now? I can never get excited about Ireand v England rugby as (far as Im still aware) the fact we dont play the anthem makes the entire thing laughable, it imakes it nothing more than a provincial derby game about as far removed from national pride as you can imagine, and Im baffled as to why the country goes absoloutely spare when the fixture rolls around every 2 or so years. Rep of Ireland vs England soccer- now THATS a grudge fixture :) (a rare one, unfortunately)

Bonners save, O`Learys goal in 1990 has to be the height of it for me :) The Reeling in the Years edit/music is brilliant.

The Irish national anthem was sung very loud and very impressively at the game iirc. I was proud of the Irish for that.

A grudge match is only a grudge match if the grudge is mutual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

The Irish national anthem was sung very loud and very impressively at the game iirc. I was proud of the Irish for that.

Are you sure it wasnt that Irelands Call rubbish?

i agree the irish nation anthem is very impressive -but its a pitty that the words to it are racist

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

All, the topic is "Proud to be Irish moment?"

Stay on topic and stop wandering please.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭lilminx

For me it was in Beijing a number of years ago. I was lucky enough to on a trade mission with President Mary McAleese. Seeing Tiananmen Square, with the Tri-colour displayed copiously was a little strange being honest, but watching Riverdance in the Great Hall of the People was the outstanding moment in my life.

http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/10-14-2003-46492.asp

I cried, my da cried - even my mother shed a tear. It was great moment of pride as an Irishwoman and as a family, being invited to attend by our own President.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭pepsicokeacola

when i was in portugal and everyone you meet talks about how much they like ireland, and we're not talking about fantastical idealic notions, like you get in the usa, actuall idea of the culture and way of life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

when i was in portugal and everyone you meet talks about how much they like ireland, and we're not talking about fantastical idealic notions, like you get in the usa, actuall idea of the culture and way of life.

How much time have you spent in the USA?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭pepsicokeacola

i lived there, my opinion on usa is somewhere in the middle. it has great positives but having returned there with my mum during the summer, i cant say i yearn to be back. not that im madly in love with ireland or anything but i do like it a lot and taking ireland as a small place in europe, id prefer to live in europe rather than us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭DublinDes

When Steve Collins defeated Chris Eubank in Millstreet, Cork, 1995 to win the WBO middleweight title. I'm from Cabra, and he's also form Cabra and the atomsphere was ECSTATIC.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭SirHenryGrattan

JFK in the USA.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

DublinDes wrote: »
    When Steve Collins defeated Chris Eubank in Millstreet, Cork, 1995 to win the WBO middleweight title. I'm from Cabra, and he's also form Cabra and the atomsphere was ECSTATIC.

Yep, that was a good time alright. I was there. The crowd roaring "Stevo, Stevo!" for ages afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

shane86 wrote: »
    Did they play our anthem? Do they play Amhrann na bhFiann at rugby now?

They've been playing Amhran na bhFiann at rugby internationals in Dublin since the 1920s.

If you want to be a bigot, at least don't be an ignorant bigot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Living in Co. Kerry, being surrounded by so much natural beauty and proper old irish villages and people. Getting to be around these places makes me endlessly proud to be irish every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I'm never proud of an accident of geography. I love my home, but that is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

Watching the all Ireland football or hurling final and realizing what great home grown sports we have.

When we:D won the tour de france.

Padraig Harrington for Golf.

When ordinary Irish people do stuff to help other nations like the Live Aid thing and the Chernobyl thing. Currently all the houses that are being built in South Africa by the Mellon trust.

What Bono is doing about third world debt and what he has done about AIDS in Africa.

We have so much to be proud of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭Locamon

I agree with the last post, there is so much to be proud of.

Stephen Roche wins the Tour De France in 1987.
    David O'Leary scores that penalty in Italia '90
    Steve Collins wins the WBO title in 1995 in Millstreet.
    Michelle Smith wins triple gold at the Olympics in 1996, the moment was great!
    Seamus Heaney wins the nobel prize for literature in 1995.
    John Hume and David Trimble win the Nobel prize for peace in 1998.
    The Good Friday agreement in the same year.
    Any big GAA occasion in Croke Park.
    Anne Enright wins the booker in 2007, John Banville in 2005.
    U2's international success.
    Bob and Bono's international campaign to end poverty.

and on and on...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I think one of the greatest Irish moments was the visit of Pope JPII. I was too young at the time to remember it now but the whole country was united. Speak to anyone who was there. I know people born then named John Paul and Karol.

Bono trying to get goverments to drop debts from their bottom line when he has paid so little of a percentage of his income compared to most people writing on here. He is a national embarrassment.

Advertisement