Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proud to be Irish moment?

Options
  • 31-12-2008 2:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Hi all,

Just wondering what yer proudest moment as an Irish person was (?right forum mods??) ?

Was watching a (THE) clip of riverdance from the Eurovision 1994 on youtube earlier - there's a comment there saying "i kinda tear up with pride everytime I see this. Go on Ireland!". That's exactly how I feel when I see that clip too. How wonderful that we wanted to show off some of our culture to the rest of the world, and just look at how the rest of the world embraced it! Seems like in the last number of years we've become "too cool" for things like that and embarrassed to be different (see especially our ridiculous endeavours in recent Eurovision contests), using our (mostly borrowed it seems!!) money to align ourselves more and more with American culture.

Anyway - any other 'tear up with pride' moments spring to mind?

Comments

I'd have to go with hearing the anthems being sung at the Ireland vs. England game at Croke Park. It felt as if Ireland had grown up and now stood not as servant, not as rebel, not as enemy, but as an equal nation. Getting past the hatred, and getting on with business. I was mighty proud that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

seaslacker got there befor me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

I'd second both of those and also when we beat England in Stuttgart in 1988. I nearly burst with pride when the final whistle went. We were dancing on air for so long afterwards.

We had never won anything before that. It was always play for a draw or an honourable defeat! No more of that! I think it paved the way for much of our success in other fields in the following years. We now had an attitude of " Yes we can!"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

The Dev rebuttal radio speech to Churchill after the war was pretty cool.

The Mary Robinson Presidency

And more recently the hosting of the special olympics was impressive and to quote my German wife "you see, the Irish can organise something that works":D

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Baybay

My son was given the Jack Charlton remembers Italia 90 dvd for Christmas. He wasn't born then but has met a lot of the players since. Anyway, I had a lump in my throat during some of it & a real feeling of pride.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

I agree about the moment that the anthem was sung at Croke Park at the Ireland/England match. I watched it live on a big screen in Washington DC and I felt the pride and the magnanimity of the moment.

But I disagree with the the idea that Ireland had shown that we were "grown up" at that moment. We Irish have always been grown up and I make no apology for our past. If it had not been for the heroic stands of our ancestors we would have been wiped out by now, culturally and ethnically. As Yeats described it we survived being "beaten into the clay through seven heroic centuries".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The 1918 election when the people of Ireland voted for independence.

Sadly the occupiers were not so grown up to respect democracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Centauro

Watching the boys from the Royal Irish Regiment march past Belfast city hall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

Zebra3 wrote: »

Wow! For a very old person, you seem to have mastered this internet thingy very well :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

This is always a good one to stir the Irish pride :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Wow! For a very old person, you seem to have mastered this internet thingy very well :rolleyes:

Come on, its a history forum after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Centauro wrote: »

That made you proud to be Irish? Is it because there was a cross representation of Irish people in that regiment or some other reason?

Thread title doesn't say you had to be alive for it, just a moment you were proud of.

Personally I think the rugby v England in Croker was media-inspired history-in-the-making rubbish. The majority of people going to watch the Irish rugby team are D4-type snobs and northern protestants who don't do the WC anti-Brit thing and rugby in Croker was very much less a big deal than "soccer".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

Centauro wrote: »

Royal ' Irish ' Regiment ??

rir_afghanistan.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

McArmalite wrote: »

rir_afghanistan.jpg

McArmalite - as the Chinese say, one picture worth a a thousand words. You made me laugh anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

I'd have to go with hearing the anthems being sung at the Ireland vs. England game at Croke Park. It felt as if Ireland had grown up and now stood not as servant, not as rebel, not as enemy, but as an equal nation. Getting past the hatred, and getting on with business. I was mighty proud that day.

+1

T runner wrote: »
    That made you proud to be Irish? Is it because there was a cross representation of Irish people in that regiment or some other reason?

Yeah, the lads parading were Irish men. They had been abroad putting their lives in danger, and were welcomed home by the people of their home city, which is located on the Island of Ireland. Shamrocks, Harps, the colour green in abundance, and bands playing Irish tunes, why would it NOT have made me proud to be Irish?

McArmalite wrote: »

rir_afghanistan.jpg

"IRISH" indeed, the fact that their politcs don't necessarily match yours does not mean you can deny them their birthright. If you look closely I think you'll see that that's an Irish flag they are displaying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Tannylan

When we voted NO to Lisbon

When we voted NO to Lisbon

Not one I'd support, but hey, what floats your boat......
    Personally I think the rugby v England in Croker was media-inspired history-in-the-making rubbish. The majority of people going to watch the Irish rugby team are D4-type snobs and northern protestants who don't do the WC anti-Brit thing and rugby in Croker was very much less a big deal than "soccer".
    Try saying that to the packed pub deep in Culchieland I watched the match in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Tannylan

Not one I'd support, but hey, what floats your boat.....

Well I did not ask you

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭jojobrad

Seeing Robbie Keane score against Germany in the world cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Cow Moolester

Any time I'm in the states and everyone loves you because you're irish

Bitter much? ;)

No, I'm just explaining the facts....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭ElCrapula

Thread title doesn't say you had to be alive for it, just a moment you were proud of.

Jesus Christ

Ah, the age old mix-up between "facts" and "the facts as one sees them" i.e. An opinion. There's a lot of that in sunday newspapers. Also, i made a mistake (now rectified), i watched the match in a packed pub full of farmers and smalltowns-folk, as anti D4 a place as you could find. However, i digress. Another moment of Irish pride? How about Clinton's visit?

What's some people's problem with the people of Ireland voting for independence as a proud to be Irish moment? :confused:

Another was the removing of the RC church's special position from the constitution in 1973.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Disonyxiated

The Royal Irish O.o' Mmm'yeah serving the British crown in another show of the empire's military power. So they're back marching on our streets again. Proud to be Irish O.O Still though, you're entitled to your opinion.

For me I'm gonna go with that time I was in New York & was treated like a sex-god because of my Irish accent :] Now there's an ego & national pride boost!

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭todolist

JFK's visit in 1963.Proud that one of our own had made it to the most powerful office in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

todolist wrote: »
    JFK's visit in 1963.Proud that one of our own had made it to the most powerful office in the world.

A Catholic?

Advertisement