Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proud to be Irish moment?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

In fairness, Bone giving everything he has to fight poverty would do bugger all. He's trying to raise awareness and to get everyone to try and put an end to it. Fair play to him for trying while everyone else just looks the other way. I still think he's a twat though. :P

I'd have to go with the Ireland V England rugby match in Croke Park, myself. There was just so much tension in the air before hand with people wondering if there's be trouble but it went ahead without a hitch. There was a great atmosphere and everyone seemed to get on during and afterwards. It just felt special. It's actually kind of hard to describe.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Locamon wrote: »
    Stephen Roche wins the Tour De France in 1987.

Yep, nothing has beat it since for me. The clip of him collapsing and needing oxygen still sticks with me.
    humanji wrote: »
    I'd have to go with the Ireland V England rugby match in Croke Park, myself. There was just so much tension in the air before hand with people wondering if there's be trouble but it went ahead without a hitch. There was a great atmosphere and everyone seemed to get on during and afterwards. It just felt special. It's actually kind of hard to describe.:o

Most over rated to me. The most self congratulatory moment to me.

Downing St. Declaration. The first agreement and gave hope when we thought agreement could never be reached.

Lynch and the Arms Crisis.

Dukes and the Tallaght Strategy and McSharrys cuts.

Ireland beating England in Stuttgart in 88.

Down winning the AI in 91. The other Ulster Counties knew you didn't have to be a traditional county.

And the best one to last, in Croke Park on AI Final day listening to the National Anthem.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭anladmór

bit weird but in brussels just seeing the irish flag flying gave me a weird feeling, i don't know if it compares to ireland passing spain off the park in japan/korea 2002 but still something.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭nowimtalking

When i was in Newzealand we went to Irish Bars and i was always asked about Ireland, it was so nice telling them the history etc.
    Also a local pub in Monaghan was shown in a picture out there!
    It was a brilliant holiday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭cherrypicker555

Zebra3 wrote: »
    The 1918 election when the people of Ireland voted for independence.

Sadly the occupiers were not so grown up to respect democracy.

Only because they attacked and in some cases shot those who stood against them hence the election was void.

In many areas only Sinn Fein stood.

Not a proud moment at all.

• Advertisement

Abstar wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just wondering what yer proudest moment as an Irish person was (?right forum mods??) ?

Was watching a (THE) clip of riverdance from the Eurovision 1994 on youtube earlier - there's a comment there saying "i kinda tear up with pride everytime I see this. Go on Ireland!". That's exactly how I feel when I see that clip too. How wonderful that we wanted to show off some of our culture to the rest of the world, and just look at how the rest of the world embraced it! Seems like in the last number of years we've become "too cool" for things like that and embarrassed to be different (see especially our ridiculous endeavours in recent Eurovision contests), using our (mostly borrowed it seems!!) money to align ourselves more and more with American culture.

Anyway - any other 'tear up with pride' moments spring to mind?

Black and White footage of the Irish guards regiment being the first to liberate the concentration camp Bergen Belson in WWII.

Paddy Doyle Irishman and former member of the Parachute regiments many world endurance records. Hers just a few.

• 6 miles (56 lb weight): 53:45 min., 9 May 1999, Stoneheigh Park Coventry WR
    • 10 km (40 lb weight): 57:02 min, 13 November2008, Warwickshire UK WR
    • 10 miles (40 lb weight): 1:24 hrs, 7 Mar 1993, Bally-Cotton (Ireland) WR
    • Half Marathon (43 lb weight): 1:59 hrs, 1 May 1988, Walsall Half Marathon WR
    • Half Marathon (40 lb weight): 1:58:24 hrs. 20 Sep 1998, Wembley, London WR
    • 30 miles (40 lb weight): 7:52:23 hrs, 13 November 08. at a cross country course in Warwickshire, UK.
    • Marathon (44 lb weight): 4:42 hrs, 21 Apr 1991, London Marathon WR
    • Marathon (50 lb weight): 5:04 hrs, 12 Apr 1992, London Marathon WR
    • 50 miles (40 lb weight): 11:56:22 hrs, 4. Sep 1993, Bally-Cotton, Ireland WR

BRICK CARRYING

• 124.25 km [77 mi 350 yd] (in >28 hours), 10/11 Feb 1998 Birmingham-Lower Shuckburgh-Birmingham WR
    COAL-BAG CARRYING

• one hour: 149 times on a 25 m shuttle course (weight: 110 lb), 9 Nov 1990, Fox Hollies Leisure Centre Birmingham
      (The coal bag can be lifted for as long as possible and put down when the athlete is tired.) WR

PUSH-UPS

(see also our record list for press-up records)
    • with a 50 lb [22.68 kg] plate weight on his back: 4,100, 28 May 1987, Calthorpe Old Boys Birmingham WR
    • non-stop: 7,860, 25 Feb 1996, Le Pub, Birmingham ER
    • one year: 1,500,230, 21 Oct 1988-01 Oct 1989, Holiday Inn Hotel Birmingham WR
    • 24 hours: 37,350, 1-2 May 1989, Holiday Inn Hotel Birmingham WR
    • one hour: 1,705, 22 June 1993, Irish Centre, Birmingham WR, nowER
    • one-armed, one week: 16,723, Feb 1996, Irish Centre, Birmingham WR
    • one-armed, 5 hours: 5,260, 6 May 1990, NEC, Birmingham WR
      7,643, 31 July 1990, Albany Hotel Birmingham WR
      8,794, 12 Feb 1996, Holly Lane Sports Centre, Birmingham WR
    • one-armed, one hour: 1,886, 27 Nov 1993, Munster Arms Hotel Birmingham WR
      2,478, 31 July 1990, Albany Hotel, Birmingham WR
      2,521, 12 Feb 1996, Holly Lane Sports Centre, Birmingham WR
    • one-armed, 30 minutes: 1,328, 31 July 1990 in Birmingham WR
    • one-armed, 10 minutes: 400, 6 May 1990, NEC Birmingham WR
    • on back of hands, 15 minutes: 400, 11 March 2001, Birmingham City Centre Digbeth WR
      627, 8 November 2007, Stamina's Boxing Self Defence Gym, Erdington, Birmingham WR RECORD HISTORY
    • on back of hands, 30 minutes: 425, 8 July 2001 Flensburg VIDEO (AVI, 1.5 MB) WR
      689, 11 March 2001, Birmingham City Centre Digbeth WR
      700, 20 March 2001, Staminas Boxing-Martial Arts Centre Erdington WR
      1386, 8 November 2007, Stamina's Boxing Self Defence Gym, Erdington, Birmingham WR RECORD HISTORY
    • on back of hands, 1 hour: 660, 5 March 2000 WR
      1,303, 20 March 2001, Staminas Boxing-Martial Arts Centre Erdington WR
      1,904, 8 November 2007, Stamina's Boxing Self Defence Gym, Erdington, Birmingham WR RECORD HISTORY
    • on back of hands, 1 minute, with a 40 lb back pack: 22, 18 March 2008, at the New Paul O'Grady Show, channel 4 TV London UK WR
      30, 16 August 2008, Equinox Fitness Club New York USA WR

McArmalite wrote: »
    Royal ' Irish ' Regiment ??

rir_afghanistan.jpg

Are unionists not Irish ? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

They look like a bunch of Loyalist terrorists in that photo.

A proud to be Irish moment would be the courageous valiant victory in obtaining some independence from the worlds worst Imperial empire in 1921, now that was a great achievement for this small country.

gurramok wrote: »
    They look like a bunch of Loyalist terrorists in that photo.

A proud to be Irish moment would be the courageous valiant victory in obtaining some independence from the worlds worst Imperial empire in 1921, now that was a great achievement for this small country.

But even loyalist terrorists are Irish, nationality is by birthright not poltical belief, its actually called northern Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭Locamon

Bit political in here....:(

I think one thing that hasn't come up here is St. Patrick's Day and how it is celebrated world wide makes me proud to be Irish. It is also a day all traditions should be able to celebrate in common, given he was a blow in himself and came before we started arguing about traditions!

Taking out the excessive drinking on the day it still is a big thrill to see thousands of people out celebrating an icon of Irishness in the wider sense of the word.

Leaders of the world being presented with and wearing shamrock on the day is a proud moment to be Irish too.

Lastly I think it is great the Simpsons will do a special on the day this year. I don't think many other nationalities get that kind of recognition for their national holiday.:D

But even loyalist terrorists are Irish, nationality is by birthright not poltical belief, its actually called northern Ireland.

Very strange. I was born in the UK and have Irish nationality, i didn't get British\UK nationality automatically!

Agree with Locamon. If only they moved Paddy's day to a warmer date in the summer and have some crackdown on the minority of louts, it would be a better occasion for the family.

Very strange. I was born in the UK and have Irish nationality, i didn't get British\UK nationality automatically!

Agree with Locamon. If only they moved Paddy's day to a warmer date in the summer and have some crackdown on the minority of louts, it would be a better occasion for the family.

If you were born in the UK of Irish parents you certainly would have got British nationality automatically.

Unionists have been in NI/Ireland for 400 yrs. Longer then Americans have been in America.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Bonner & O'Leary moments in Italia '90.

Riverdance in '94.

If you were born in the UK of Irish parents you certainly would have got British nationality automatically.

Unionists have been in NI/Ireland for 400 yrs. Longer then Americans have been in America.

No, i was entitled to it automatically but took up an Irish passport just like the topic reads!

So which is it, Unionists are Irish or British?

Any I have met through the years have said they were British first and then 'Northern Irish' but not 'Irish' just like their political representatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Terrontress

No, i was entitled to it automatically but took up an Irish passport just like the topic reads!

So which is it, Unionists are Irish or British?

Any I have met through the years have said they were British first and then 'Northern Irish' but not 'Irish' just like their political representatives.

Why can't they be British AND Irish?

Someone born in London can be British and English, someone in Cardiff British and Welsh, Glasgow etc.

They are Irish whether they like it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Centauro

I was born in county Antrim, would consider myself unionist, with a very small u, but am an Irish man, through and through. Lots of people born in Scotland consider themselves Scottish, and the Welsh are Welsh. The fact that you hold a British passport doesn't lessen your attachment to the place you were born....Ireland is an island, not a nation state.

Anyway, i'm looking forward to the rugby tomorrow :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

Only because they attacked and in some cases shot those who stood against them hence the election was void.

In many areas only Sinn Fein stood.

Not a proud moment at all.
    More fiction :rolleyes:. So your accusing the IRA of attacking and shooting the opposition ? Can you actually provide any reliable references or sources for this ??

But you are right, their was indeed widespread intimadation during the 1918 election, in particuliar the so called 'German Plot' ( i.e. Sinn Fein were conspiring with Germany to enter the war on Germany's side ) which was a total invention by the british to imprision the Sinn Fein candidates, family members and supporters and try to discredit Irish nationalism in America. Attacks and threats were indeed made - by the british army and RIC ofcourse. See Tim Pat Coogan's Micheal Collins and De Valera.

And as for the fact that in many areas only Sinn Fein stood, yes because the Redmondites knew they were in for a humiliating hammering in these constituency's and therefore did not stand.
    Are unionists not Irish ? :rolleyes:....
    The unionists ancestors came over from the north of England and the lowlands of Scotland after a campaign of ethnic cleansing both in Ireland and Scotland and have maintained their allegiance to britain down the years for the reward of dispossession and oppresion of the locals. These british subjects have insulted, discriminated, attacked and murdered with the full support of the british state Irish citizens down the centuries, to describe a supporter of unionism as Irish and not british, is like describing a pro apartheid supporter as an anti rascist.
    The Americans of british extraction loyalty is totally to America. They don't pledge and carry out loyalty to britain.

More fiction :rolleyes:. So your accusing the IRA of attacking and shooting the opposition ? Can you actually provide any reliable references or sources for this ??

But you are right, their was indeed widespread intimadation during the 1918 election, in particuliar the so called 'German Plot' ( i.e. Sinn Fein were conspiring with Germany to enter the war on Germany's side ) which was a total invention by the british to imprision the Sinn Fein candidates, family members and supporters and try to discredit Irish nationalism in America. Attacks and threats were indeed made - by the british army and RIC ofcourse. See Tim Pat Coogan's Micheal Collins and De Valera.

And as for the fact that in many areas only Sinn Fein stood, yes because the Redmondites knew they were in for a humiliating hammering in these constituency's and therefore did not stand.

The unionists ancestors came over from the north of England and the lowlands of Scotland after a campaign of ethnic cleansing both in Ireland and Scotland and have maintained their allegiance to britain down the years for the reward of dispossession and oppresion of the locals. These british subjects have insulted, discriminated, attacked and murdered with the full support of the british state Irish citizens down the centuries, to describe a supporter of unionism as Irish and not british, is like describing a pro apartheid supporter as an anti rascist.

The Americans of british extraction loyalty is totally to America. They don't pledge and carry out loyalty to britain.

I suggest you read some history, you will find Sinn Fein carried out wide spread intimidation and some killings in that election.

As for you claim you cant be Irish and British, what were southern Irish people before 1921 ?

And what are Irish people in England with Irish and Uk passports/citizenship ?

Australian Mps still swear loyalty to the Queen, does that mean they are not Australians ?

Briain dead bigotry has no place in modern Ireland, put it away and get a life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

I suggest you read some history, you will find Sinn Fein carried out wide spread intimidation and some killings in that election.
    Quite obviously I have and quite obviously you haven't as you cannot provide any reliable references or sources when asked. And the same happened over on the The Holocaust thread where you couldn't back up your nonsense that IRA leader Frank Ryan worked for a top Nazi and so called Operation Kathleen where the IRA were to help the Nazi's if they were to invade Ireland. Typical unionist inspired fiction.
    As for you claim you cant be Irish and British, what were southern Irish people before 1921 ?
    The vast majority proudly Irish.
    And what are Irish people in England with Irish and Uk passports/citizenship ?
    Turncoats.
    Australian Mps still swear loyalty to the Queen, does that mean they are not Australians ?
    Ask an Aussie.
    Briain dead bigotry has no place in modern Ireland, put it away and get a life.
    Brain dead bigotry - and your the one who posts complete disinformation regarding Irish history ??

• Advertisement

Why can't they be British AND Irish?

Someone born in London can be British and English, someone in Cardiff British and Welsh, Glasgow etc.

They are Irish whether they like it or not.

They don't like it. We've heard their political reps on the telly say about the 'Irish' minority.
    You always hear of political parties/civil organisations with the word 'Ulster' in them, hardly ever Irish from the Unionist community.
    The RIR is a new military regiment, their predecessors were mostly from the UDR, Ulster Defence Regiment.

Irish, forced into the British political Union against their will, look up the Protestant Ascendancy.
    Centauro wrote:
    I was born in county Antrim, would consider myself unionist, with a very small u, but am an Irish man, through and through. Lots of people born in Scotland consider themselves Scottish, and the Welsh are Welsh. The fact that you hold a British passport doesn't lessen your attachment to the place you were born....Ireland is an island, not a nation state.

Scots and Welsh actually live in Britain.

You're allegiance is to another island as you have a British passport.

You mentioned on another of your posts that you were in the RUC reserves for years http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55520374&postcount=1077
    Now, why would you claim to be Irish when you served in an organisation that removed the word Irish from its title and replaced it with Ulster?

Quite obviously I have and quite obviously you haven't as you cannot provide any reliable references or sources when asked. And the same happened over on the The Holocaust thread where you couldn't back up your nonsense that IRA leader Frank Ryan worked for a top Nazi and so called Operation Kathleen where the IRA were to help the Nazi's if they were to invade Ireland. Typical unionist inspired fiction.

The vast majority proudly Irish.

Turncoats.

Ask an Aussie.

Brain dead bigotry - and your the one who posts complete disinformation regarding Irish history ??

So some of the Irish rugby team who won on Saturday beating England are not actually Irish cause they are also British citizens ?

Frank Ryan spent the war in Germany as a Nazi quisling anyone with a small knowledge of wartime Irish history knows that.

They don't like it. We've heard their political reps on the telly say about the 'Irish' minority.
    You always hear of political parties/civil organisations with the word 'Ulster' in them, hardly ever Irish from the Unionist community.
    The RIR is a new military regiment, their predecessors were mostly from the UDR, Ulster Defence Regiment.

Irish, forced into the British political Union against their will, look up the Protestant Ascendancy.

Scots and Welsh actually live in Britain.

You're allegiance is to another island as you have a British passport.

You mentioned on another of your posts that you were in the RUC reserves for years http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55520374&postcount=1077
    Now, why would you claim to be Irish when you served in an organisation that removed the word Irish from its title and replaced it with Ulster?

The RIR is decended from the Royal Irish Rangers and UDR, why not get your facts right before posting any more bigoted crap.

Unionists class themselves as Irish and British, as do many Irish people do in England, if you dont like it thats your problem, you and your kinds time is over your yesterdays man, get a life and move on.

The RIR is decended from the Royal Irish Rangers and UDR, why not get your facts right before posting any more bigoted crap.

You obviously did not read the post. I said they were MOSTLY from the UDR. Why was the UDR not named the Irish Defence Regiment orginally?
    Unionists class themselves as Irish and British, as do many Irish people do in England, if you dont like it thats your problem, you and your kinds time is over your yesterdays man, get a life and move on.

Can you vouch for that 'Unionists class themselves as Irish and British' as its pretty thin on the ground. Give examples, a recently formed military regiment called the RIR does not count for much.

Why don't the UUP rename themselves as the Irish Unionist Party, something insulting about putting the word Irish in just like the RUC?

Same for any Unionist political party, they all have Ulster in their title. They must be ashamed of been called Irish Unionists and rather be called Ulster Unionist.

If you read over my previous posts, you will find that i have stated that I have Protestant relatives both here and in Britain so calling me a bigot is very fanciful and escapist to losing your argument.

Next time you do call me a bigot or to 'get a life', i'm reporting your post.

So anyone who disagrees with your view is a bigot? Nice try.

You obviously did not read the post. I said they were MOSTLY from the UDR. Why was the UDR not named the Irish Defence Regiment orginally?

Can you vouch for that 'Unionists class themselves as Irish and British' as its pretty thin on the ground. Give examples, a recently formed military regiment called the RIR does not count for much.

Why don't the UUP rename themselves as the Irish Unionist Party, something insulting about putting the word Irish in just like the RUC?

Same for any Unionist political party, they all have Ulster in their title. They must be ashamed of been called Irish Unionists and rather be called Ulster Unionist.

If you read over my previous posts, you will find that i have stated that I have Protestant relatives both here and in Britain so calling me a bigot is very fanciful and escapist to losing your argument.

Next time you do call me a bigot or to 'get a life', i'm reporting your post.

So anyone who disagrees with your view is a bigot? Nice try.

Dont try and bully me a chara, there is no such thing as "the Irish defence regiment".

If you are going to post at least be factually correct.

Ian Paisley is even on record as stating he is Irish, I suggest you do some research on unionism and go up north and meet some unionists it may help you find away out of your bigotry, stereotyping and narrowmindedness.

Dont try and bully me a chara, there is no such thing as "the Irish defence regiment".

If you are going to post at least be factually correct.

Ian Paisley is even on record as stating he is Irish, I suggest you do some research on unionism and go up north and meet some unionists it may help you find away out of your bigotry, stereotyping and narrowmindedness.

Read again for the 2nd time a chara. Does the truth hurt?

I asked a question...
    "Why was the UDR not named the Irish Defence Regiment orginally?"

If they(all aspects of the new state of Northern Ireland) were so proud to be Irish, why did they replace anything with Irish in it to Ulster??

Here's some research of Irish Unionists that live in ROI.
    http://www.irishunionism.org/
    The statement emphasises our determination to promote and protect the identity of British & Unionist people across Ireland

To protect and promote the interests of the British / Unionist minority in the Irish Republic.

Notice the trend?

They(of a Unionist persuasion) call themselves British in both jurisdictions. The Irish title is there for that's were they are based in Ireland only.(ROI)

Read again for the 2nd time a chara. Does the truth hurt?

I asked a question...

If they(all aspects of the new state of Northern Ireland) were so proud to be Irish, why did they replace anything with Irish in it to Ulster??

Here's some research of Irish Unionists that live in ROI.
    http://www.irishunionism.org/

Notice the trend?

They(of a Unionist persuasion) call themselves British in both jurisdictions. The Irish title is there for that's were they are based in Ireland only.(ROI)

Repeat there has never been a "Irish defence regiment".

Unionists claim the St Patricks cross Irelands original all nation flag and the harp and shamrock. Are these not Irish ?

The reason in the 70s "Ulsterisation" came about was due to terrorists targetting the unionist population thus they created a seige mentality.

Now with the peace process unionists are once more attepting to reclaim Irishness from people like you who claim they are not Irish.

Infact can you tell me one symbol in Ireland, bar the tri-colour that is not British-Irish in origin ?

Repeat there has never been a "Irish defence regiment".

Repeat again, as you seem either unable to read that part of the post or just skipping it
    I asked a question...

I did not say an Irish Defence Regiment existed, i asked why was the UDR not called the Irish Defence Regiment when it was setup. Same applies when the RIC name was changed to RUC etc.

A simple question which you cannot answer as you know why they dropped the Irish name.
    Unionists claim the St Patricks cross Irelands original all nation flag and the harp and shamrock. Are these not Irish ?

Infact can you tell me one symbol in Ireland, bar the tri-colour that is not British-Irish in origin ?

Very well, they claim it. It is shared not theirs exclusively.

They don't come out and celebrate st Patrick's day wearing green. (You can try answer and say intimidation but you will find the vast majority of Unionists reside in areas that are vastly majority Unionist hence no threat of intimidation there)
    Now with the peace process unionists are once more attepting to reclaim Irishness from people like you who claim they are not Irish

What i am doing is respecting their wishes. They can call themselves Irish or Timbuktuans for all i care. If their wishes change to call themselves Irish, i respect that. The likes of me cannot force that.

On the valid assumption that Protestants who reside in NI, we know that the vast majority vote and call themselves Unionist..

ZERO percent identify themselves as Irish rather than British.

Only 4% identify with an Irish identity more so than British.
    http://www.ark.ac.uk/nilt/2007/Identity/IRBRIT.html

To conclude a chara, you have been proven categorically wrong.

Repeat again, as you seem either unable to read that part of the post or just skipping it
    I asked a question...

I did not say an Irish Defence Regiment existed, i asked why was the UDR not called the Irish Defence Regiment when it was setup. Same applies when the RIC name was changed to RUC etc.

A simple question which you cannot answer as you know why they dropped the Irish name.

Very well, they claim it. It is shared not theirs exclusively.

They don't come out and celebrate st Patrick's day wearing green. (You can try answer and say intimidation but you will find the vast majority of Unionists reside in areas that are vastly majority Unionist hence no threat of intimidation there)

What i am doing is respecting their wishes. They can call themselves Irish or Timbuktuans for all i care. If their wishes change to call themselves Irish, i respect that. The likes of me cannot force that.

On the valid assumption that Protestants who reside in NI, we know that the vast majority vote and call themselves Unionist..

ZERO percent identify themselves as Irish rather than British.

Only 4% identify with an Irish identity more so than British.
    http://www.ark.ac.uk/nilt/2007/Identity/IRBRIT.html

To conclude a chara, you have been proven categorically wrong.

Why not post the whole thing, before independence most Unionists called themselves Irish and British, it is only since then they became more and more British because their identity was under threat.

As for the Harp, Shamrock etc they are British-Irish in origin not republican.

17% say they are equally Irish and British out of around 58% of the population................your claim does not stand up.

• Advertisement

Why not post the whole thing, before independence most Unionists called themselves Irish and British, it is only since then they became more and more British because their identity was under threat.

What identity? They either are Irish or British. They could of chosen to have an Irish identity to be loyal to the Union but they dropped it of their own free will.
    As for the Harp, Shamrock etc they are British-Irish in origin not republican.
    So? They are part of non-republican Irish culture as well, no-one has exclusive rights to it.
    17% say they are equally Irish and British out of around 58% of the population................your claim does not stand up.

Whats wrong with saying Irish in first place?

If we go by your interpretation, then only 18% do call themselves Irish and British, thats a condition they bring into the equation.

So when someone asks, what nationality are you? They answer 'Irish and British! :rolleyes:

Where did you get 58% of the population figure from?

Regarding the 18%(not 17%), that leaves a massive 82% who do NOT see themselves as having any Irishness at all.

Advertisement