Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Maybe just try 2 passes with the grain for now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Bruce7 wrote: »
    Is the thinking that is because my skin has not yet adapted to a closer shave, or that my technique is likely to be still poor?

Probably just a case of too much too soon.

Try the Astra Platinum which I think is a sharp yet forgiving blade (and cheap if you like em!). Try 1 or 2 with the grain passes as suggested. Leave across/against the grain alone for now. Continue to concentrate on your angle, keep your wrist stiff.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭kaiserjim

I think we all hit a wall at some stage and consider returning to carts. I find that if i ever try and have a quick shave it leads to problems. Proper prep and taking your time is the only way to go in my opinion. Take your time and stick with it.
    The one thing that helps me when I've a had a rough shave is Floid suave its fantastic for me. But you may find a balm might work for you.The best I've used is the cheapest you can get "The real shaving company's" Balm is e1.50 in Dealz.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

I never shave against the grain, it is just asking for trouble, I would just do two passes, with the grain and across the grain, and start from a base of an Astra SP, as that to me is a very smooth blade.

I would also check what soap/product you use to see if that is causing added irritation, the quality of good lathering can't be overstated either.

I would also make sure not to go over the same place twice, and used a locked wrist where the blade head moves down without much pressure inward, rather than the wrist doing the work.

I would just do two passes, with the grain and across the grain, and start from a base of an Astra SP, as that to me is a very smooth blade.

I would also check what soap/product you use to see if that is causing added irritation, the quality of good lathering can't be overstated either.

This man gets it, only difference is I'd say WTG x2. A good lather is a very good point. A good cream may be what you need.

And yeah, take your time. Just shaved and did my neck without enough care and a fresh 7'oclock yellow... damn I suck! Ouchy ouch ouch ouch!

• Advertisement

Lads If I shave wtg x2 or wtg across the grain I find id be better off with a mach 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Bruce7

kaiserjim wrote: »
    Lads If I shave wtg x2 or wtg across the grain I find id be better off with a mach 3.

I'm afraid I agree. I took the above advice and shaved wtg x 2 using an Astra platinum blade and the progress dialed back to 1. I took loads of time making lather using soap and cream, and even used my wife's moisturiser afterwards. My skin wasn't sensitive, which was a result, but when I was finished - after about half an hour - I came to the same conclusion as you. I'd have gotten just as good a shave in two minutes in the shower with a cartridge razor.

I can see the attraction of DE shaving as a hobby, but I just don't see it as a practical option for weekdays at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Sounds like you've gone from one extreme to the other Bruce and just need to find your 'sweet spot'.

If I'm using a Progress I have it set to 3 for the initial WTG and XTG passes.
    I then dial it up to 4 for the final ATG pass. This is with a sharp blade like a
    Feather. This gives my as close as shave as possible and comfortable at the same time.

Try using the Astra and dialling it up to 2 and putting in a final ATG pass.

In regards to time you will get much faster. I typically manage about 10 minutes. Most of that has nothing to do with the razor I use but with the rest of the routine. For me my skin is happier so it's worth it and even if i went back to a mach3 I would stick with the brush, soaps, and the rest of the routine. YMMV

1. quick scrub while soaking brush
    2. load up brush with soap
    3. face lather
    4. shave
    5. cold wash
    6. alum - tidy up for 1 minute
    7. cold wash
    8. proraso prepost
    9. finish tidying
    10. balm if needed

I'm afraid I agree. I took the above advice and shaved wtg x 2 using an Astra platinum blade and the progress dialed back to 1. I took loads of time making lather using soap and cream, and even used my wife's moisturiser afterwards. My skin wasn't sensitive, which was a result, but when I was finished - after about half an hour - I came to the same conclusion as you. I'd have gotten just as good a shave in two minutes in the shower with a cartridge razor.

I can see the attraction of DE shaving as a hobby, but I just don't see it as a practical option for weekdays at least.

Dont throw the towel in just yet. Give yourself a break from it and return at a later date. I cant stress how important prep is(well for me anyhow). While Im lathering up i put a thin layer on my face and let it sit there while I build a decent lather this softens the hair no end. I then wash it off with water as hot as I can take it. Re lather and shave away.
    Its about finding what works for you nearly everybody there own ideas but there are no set way of doing it right.

• Advertisement

There's a razor out there for you, maybe try a swap with someone before you pack it in? The Progress may not suit you, it wouldn't be uncommon.

Maybe try a Gillette Tech, they should cost you next to nothing and generally give a shave that does not irritate. Try a natural soap (do it anyway for cartridge shaving if you don't think you can be bothered with DE anymore to see if the irritation goes.

A bad lather will give a bad shave, no matter what you use, and will irritate you. A nice protective lather is half the battle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Bruce7

I shaved this morning with progress set to 2 and Astra platinum blade. Did 2 with the grain passes and it went fine. I don't have any sensitivity, and it's nice and close on my cheeks and chin, but not so much on my neck where I was extra cautious.

Thanks for the advice. I'll stick with this combination and focus on improving technique and getting faster, as it still took quite a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭MHalberstram

My routine usually goes as follows:

Wet face with hot water
    Clinique Facial Scrub
    Rinse with hot water
    L'Oreal Hydrating Face Wash
    Rinse with hot water
    Apply Proraso Pre-shave cream
    Wait for 1 minute
    Apply Prosaso Sandalwood Cream Lather
    Wait for 2 minutes
    Shave with Muhle R89 & Feather blade down the face and up the neck (in general)
    Rinse with hot water
    Second pass with Feather blade
    Rinse with hot water
    If there is still any tough spots of beard I then tackle these with a Quattro cartridge, usually it is just one spot on the left hand side of my face below the jawline
    Rinse with cold water. Check for nicks and apply Proraso Gel for cuts if necessary
    Pat face dry
    Apply Clinique Post Shave Soother Beard control formula
    Apply Clinique Moisturiser to entire face
    Pull some random faces :D and apply cologne

Best shave ever! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

:D

Janey...:eek:

Mine is more like

Scrub face with face cloth hot water and er.. Palmolive soap...

Face lather with MWF or Tabac and Rooney 1/1

or

Warm lather from scuttle and usually Taylor cream and bigger brush than above

Two passes WTG and then neck chin ATG Feather AS with Feather/Astra/Gillette Bleue /Black/Derby/Tesco etc etc

Rinse and apply Floid/Tabac/Arlington/Pinaud VI Bay Rum

DFS to BBS daily :D

Seven Worlds will Collide

Takes 25-30 minutes but there is a method to my madness. I used to get severe razor burn on my neck and ingrown hairs. I was in agony and that was with a Mach 3. Someone advised that I adopt the above routine as my beard was extremely tough and I wasn't softening it enough before shaving. I also switched to a DE blade for this reason. Now I shave at night, take my time and my razor burn has vanished for the first time in years. I actually enjoy a shave now and my skin looks really healthy.

It is well worth the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Janey...:eek:

Mine is more like

Scrub face with face cloth hot water and er.. Palmolive soap...

Face lather with MWF or Tabac and Rooney 1/1

Two passes WTG and then neck chin ATG Feather AS with Feather/Astra/Gillette Bleue /Black/Derby/Tesco etc etc

Rinse and apply Floid/Tabac/Arlington/Pinaud VI Bay Rum

DFS to BBS daily :D

That's pretty similar to me, except change the products.

It doesn't need to be a long preshave to get a very good shave.

It is well worth the effort.

Although that being said, if it works for you (like it does for MHalberstram) there is no harm in it.

Wet face with hot water
    Clinique Facial Scrub
    Rinse with hot water
    L'Oreal Hydrating Face Wash
    Rinse with hot water
    Apply Proraso Pre-shave cream
    Wait for 1 minute
    Apply Prosaso Sandalwood Cream Lather
    Wait for 2 minutes
    Rinse with hot water
    Rinse with hot water
    If there is still any tough spots of beard I then tackle these with a Quattro cartridge, usually it is just one spot on the left hand side of my face below the jawline
    Rinse with cold water. Check for nicks and apply Proraso Gel for cuts if necessary
    Pat face dry
    Apply Clinique Post Shave Soother Beard control formula
    Apply Clinique Moisturiser to entire face
    Pull some random faces :D and apply cologne

Best shave ever! :D

:eek::eek:
    Id rather have a beard

kaiserjim wrote: »
    :eek::eek:
    Id rather have a beard

I had one, I looked like Jim Morrison :pac:

Thankfully after years of tearing the face off myself when I didn't have a beard, I can now enjoy a shave. I also have the luxury of not needing to do it in the morning. To be honest though, if I just had a regular routine I'd look like I took a shotgun to the neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

It works for you and that's the main thing.

My only other thing is that if I didn't have a shave in the morning I'd feel like a tramp all day !

Seven Worlds will Collide

It works for you and that's the main thing.

My only other thing is that if I didn't have a shave in the morning I'd feel like a tramp all day !

I find that a good shave late at night lasts me until the following evening. Only with a DE shave mind. Cartridge shave won't last that long for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,478 ✭✭✭✭guil

Had my first proper DE shave last night, took almost an hour before i was happy, I got a DE last week and used it with Gilette foam in a can.

I bought a 10 pack of tesco blades last night and palmolive cream and a cheap brush in the chemist, I was blown away at the difference between the can and cream

guil wrote: »
    Had my first proper DE shave last night, took almost an hour before i was happy, I got a DE last week and used it with Gilette foam in a can.

I bought a 10 pack of tesco blades last night and palmolive cream and a cheap brush in the chemist, I was blown away at the difference between the can and cream

I don't use creams anymore, but the Palmolive cream is brilliant bang for your buck, a little pea builds a huge lather, and gives a very good shave.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I don't use creams anymore, but the Palmolive cream is brilliant bang for your buck, a little pea builds a huge lather, and gives a very good shave.

I've been using the Palmolive soap sticks for all my shaves the last two months. Love the little things.

Anyone care to recommend something different for me to try out? I've previously used the Taylor of Old Bond Street creams. Love the scent, and the feel of the first pass, but I don't feel as safe with the lather as I do with the soap-stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

I've been using the Palmolive soap sticks for all my shaves the last two months. Love the little things.

Anyone care to recommend something different for me to try out? I've previously used the Taylor of Old Bond Street creams. Love the scent, and the feel of the first pass, but I don't feel as safe with the lather as I do with the soap-stick.

proraso, that is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

And Proraso soaps are Buy One Get One Free on 4men.ie.

http://www.4men.ie/p/317/shaving-soap-jar-sensitive-green-tea-150ml

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Try the La Toja shave stick. You should be able to get great lather from it with little effort.

It is a bit pricey compared to the Palmolive stick - but most things are to be fair.

Or if you want to try another cream, try one of the Cyril R. Salter creams. They provide great lather but seem to be overlooked by a lot of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Another option if you're looking for a soap with good cushion and protection is Cella.
    It is one of the Italian soft soaps with a consistency between hard soap and cream.
    http://www.shaving.ie/products/Cella-Shaving-Cream.html

An alternative soap stick worth looking at is Speick.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭R33F

G'Day All,

Is anyone shaving with a Muhle R41 Grande ? I have read all the reports regarding the aggressivness of the razor etc etc, and am interested in buying one to add into my shaving regime. If so, what blades are you using, how do you find it generally, are you still reverting to another razor for touch-ups ?

I currently cycle between a couple of Gillette Razors & a Murkur 34C when shaving with DE's.

Cheers,
    And have yet to try:

Personna Platinum
    Astra Platinum
    Timor

Is the thinking that is because my skin has not yet adapted to a closer shave, or that my technique is likely to be still poor?

Definitely give the Personna Platinum (Red) blades a go. I have a medium to heavy beard & shave every second day. I can get atleast 3 shaves out of the 1 Personna blade (3 passes each shave: WTG / XTG / ATG). Remember that you have to apply minimal pressure to your DE. You should be able to hear the cut without pushing on the razor at all.
    Rinse with hot water
    Rinse with hot water

Do you not re lather between your 1st and 2nd pass ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Jaysus, my entire routine is hot cloth on face for 2 minutes (hot water goes in on the cream at the same time), whip the cream up, plaster my face in it, shave once with the grain, once across, lather my upper lip, blitz the 'tache, rinse face with warm water, then cold and a quick splosh of shaving balm. I'm starting to reach a similar speed to using the horrible cartridge razors.

I was heading out to party last weekend and decided to go for a third pass against the grain with a Feather. I don't think i've ever been so cleanly shaven in my entire life. Chuffed with my technique too as my skin was in perfect shape after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

I've been using this stuff recently; Monsavon shaving soap from France. Over in France it's pretty cheap and commonly available. However, it's the nicest soap I've used yet; gives a very good lather with no hassle, and smells amazing. I doubt you'd have much look getting it over here though.

Advertisement