Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

Maybe a stupid question but when using the prorasso pre and post shaving balm, should you wash it off before applying lather when starting the shave or apply lather over it? Also when done shaving, I found that applying it makes the face dry out all white. Should it be washed off afterwards or was I just using too much? :o

You never learn unless you ask:)

As a pre shave treatment you leave it on and apply a lather over it. The majority of people will use it as a pre shave only as it is quite thick for a post shave balm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

When using it as post shave balm, I put some in the palm of my hand and splash a few drops of the Proraso after shave on it.

I find this helps to 'water down' the thickness and makes it a bit more creamy and dries in nice on the face

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Maybe a stupid question but when using the prorasso pre and post shaving balm, should you wash it off before applying lather when starting the shave or apply lather over it? Also when done shaving, I found that applying it makes the face dry out all white. Should it be washed off afterwards or was I just using too much? :o

For post shaving I leave my face wet and rub a small amount of it into my face and let it dry naturally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

I spotted this over in Food & Drink on a thread about kitchen knives. Has anyone tried this technique?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

As he says a few times in the video, the technique used would be the same as using a straight razor.

I've not tried it but I guess I could with one of the knives I have that I've sharpened. I'll give it a go in the morning.

I'm actually interested to see how much this will be like shaving with a straight razor.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

hitemfrank wrote: »
    As he says a few times in the video, the technique used would be the same as using a straight razor.
    He also says several times not to try it at home. ;)

oscarBravo wrote: »
    He also says several times not to try it at home. ;)

Ah sure that's just to obsolve himself of liability should someone be thick enough to try it themselves :D

Well, I tried with a knife this morning. It would have got the job done but it would not have been comfortable.

I know for a fact that my knife is not as sharp as in the video (he sharpens to a riduclus level of grit) and the angle of the bevel on the knife probably was not the best for shaving with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Well, I tried with a knife this morning. It would have got the job done but it would not have been comfortable.

I know for a fact that my knife is not as sharp as in the video (he sharpens to a riduclus level of grit) and the angle of the bevel on the knife probably was not the best for shaving with.

What about the fashionable 'ceramic' knives you see being touted for the kitchen, I see a lot of them on Deal Extreme, brittle, but meant to be very sharp.

I often wondered by someone hasn't manufactured a ceramic razor blade, to be inserted into the safety razor of your choice.

There could be a market for it, hypoallergenic (no metals of any kind) and of course, sharp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

Amalgam wrote: »
    What about the fashionable 'ceramic' knives you see being touted for the kitchen, I see a lot of them on Deal Extreme, brittle, but meant to be very sharp.

I often wondered by someone hasn't manufactured a ceramic razor blade, to be inserted into the safety razor of your choice.

There could be a market for it, hypoallergenic (no metals of any kind) and of course, sharp.
    As far as I know they are of limited use in the kitchen but I think you could shave with them if you really wanted to. But I don't think a ceramic blade for a safety razor would be possible. Most safety razors bend the blade along the axis and that would snap a ceramic one.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I have two ceramic knives - they're sharp, but my santoku knives and my expensive filleting/boning knife are definitely sharper.

I think ceramic knives are designed for people who are happy with a pretty sharp (as opposed to scary sharp) blade, and can't be bothered sharpening their blades.

I'm actually glad someone brought up the ceramic knives. It means I can post this video.

I think generally the problem with the ceramic knives is that they have a tendancy to chip quite badly during honing*. I think (I'm pretty confident but not 100%) the ceramic knife used in the above video was sharpened by the same guy as in the video further up who shaved with the knife.

Here are actually two threads about ceramic as a potentail material for straight razor blades;

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/68254-Seraphim-Seramix-(tm)-Razor-in-process?
    http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/238109-Seraphim-Seramix-Redux

The second thread is a follow on from the first.

*depending how sharp you actually try to make tham.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I have two ceramic knives - they're sharp, but my santoku knives and my expensive filleting/boning knife are definitely sharper.

I think ceramic knives are designed for people who are happy with a pretty sharp (as opposed to scary sharp) blade, and can't be bothered sharpening their blades.
    Thank God for TK Maxx. I could never have assembled my collection of Sabatier knives otherwise. (Mind you the sharpest one I have is a carbon steel one that I got in Clery's years ago. It tarnishes easily and looks awful now, but still takes an edge like no other knife. I use Astonish cleaning paste to keep it in a half-decent state.)

Apologies to Mods for off-topic post :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I had a hair trimmer with ceramic blades a couple of years back. It was fantastic for a few cuts, but dropped off very quickly and ended up pulling out more hair than it cut. I know that's a very different usage to shaving, but it wouldn't fill me with confidence.

stevenmu wrote: »
    I had a hair trimmer with ceramic blades a couple of years back. It was fantastic for a few cuts, but dropped off very quickly and ended up pulling out more hair than it cut. I know that's a very different usage to shaving, but it wouldn't fill me with confidence.

I had exactly the same experience, and the yoke wasn't cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Walter Sobchak III

Has anybody got opinions on the Gillete 7 o'clocks. I felt the greens were very good, but used it when shaving when in East Cork where the water is seemed very soft. Just wondering how they react to the east coast hard water?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Has anybody got opinions on the Gillete 7 o'clocks. I felt the greens were very good, but used it when shaving when East Cork where the water is seemed very soft. Just wondering how they react to the east coast hard water?

How much of a difference does hard water make to shaving with a Safety Razor?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Walter Sobchak III

nc6000 wrote: »
    How much of a difference does hard water make to shaving with a Safety Razor?

I just feel there is less of a drag when shaving with softer water.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

I would be more inclined to think the quality of the lather deteriorates with harder water and therefore is not as slick or protective... That's possibly the difference you are noticing.

• Advertisement

You're not imagining it. I have noticed it too. Same soap, same razor, but there is a real difference between hard-water and soft-water areas.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Michael G wrote: »
    I had exactly the same experience, and the yoke wasn't cheap.
    Glad it wasn't just me, and yeah mine was a good bit dearer than the normal ones too. I ended up going back to a much cheaper steel one that has lasted way better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

As mentioned hard water will cause challenges with lathering - you'll often see people complaining about using the likes of Mitchells Wool Fat soap with hard water.

I've noticed differences in lathering depending on the water.Luckily the water at home in
    south Dublin is pretty soft.If you've problems with limescale building up in your kettles you know you have hard water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Silly q. I've a tube of Proraso Shaving Cream. Never used a shaving cream before, how do i get a decent lather? Note I don't have a brush any kind .

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Silly q. I've a tube of Proraso Shaving Cream. Never used a shaving cream before, how do i get a decent lather? Note I don't have a brush any kind .

You could get a cheap (but decent) brush in Boots that would do the trick. No idea what else you could use to produce that effect though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

You could get a cheap (but decent) brush in Boots that would do the trick. No idea what else you could use to produce that effect though.

How about a small paint brush? Do you add water to the cream?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

How about a small paint brush? Do you add water to the cream?
    I think you're really best off just getting a cheap shaving brush, a paint brush wouldn't be designed with lathering in mind at all so it could easily go horribly wrong.

Usually I just wet the brush and lather up the cream. You shouldn't need to add any more water than that.

http://www.vintagescent.com/ are promoting their yearly 'discount day', this November 20th.

Details below.

Dear Customer,

Don't miss the chance to get your shaving gear at an unbeatable price on
    time for Christmas with a 20% discount this next Tuesday, November 20th.

Best regards

Bruno

www.VintageScent.com
    This email address was given to us by you or by one of our customers. If you
    feel that you have received this email in error, please send an email to
    shop@vintagescent.com

Amalgam wrote: »
    http://www.vintagescent.com/ are promoting their yearly 'discount day', this November 20th.

Details below.

I spotted that in my emails yesterday and had planned to post about it today.

Is it a bad thing that I already know what I'm going to order? :D

• Advertisement

Is it a bad thing that I already know what I'm going to order? :D

Well, it's always bad news for me browsing that site, because I start daydreaming about a possible Semogue purchase, they're just so attractively presented.

Brummel and La Toja splashes have been on my radar for a while now, but I have a relative going down to that part of Europe soon. I just need to be patient.

Advertisement