Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭corpo3030

Hi Maximus,
    I don't know how helpful this will be but I was in a similar situation myself. I found preparing my face before hand made a huge difference. I have been using ProRaso pre and post shave cream as well as Mitchells Wool Fat shaving soap, and since getting these I haven't cut myself once. In fact since I took up DE shaving I have to only shave every second day because I get such a close shave. The shave cream and shave soap were bought from shaving.ie too.
    Excellent advice from StealthRolex too, those videos are a great help.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

I have yet to cut myself but razor bumps on the chin and neck are still a problem sometimes, and I put it down to poor technique.

I find that making an O-shape with your mouth, and shaving the elongated chin area as it is flatter, and then jutting my chin out and lifting my head up so that my neck is vertical, and flat, and thus not needing any pressure to shave it eliminates a lot of bumps for the chin/jawline.

But the most important thing are blades and good lubricating lather. Derby's aren't my favourite at all, I would change blade maybe to an Astra, and try a different cream or soap, a proven one with good reviews, and also try and be far more careful in technique.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Howdy Maximus,

The lads above have some great advice (and those videos are a god-send), i'm a recent DE convert myself (only had 6 shaves so far!). What i did for the first few was be ultra cautious, almost fearful of the blade. Forget about your confidence using a disposable, try to relearn it (and by my 4th shave i was flying along), only with the DE as your tool instead.

Out of the 3 blade brands i've tried so far (Gilette 7 O'Clock, Astra and Derby), the Derbs were the least comfortable.

Now this might seem like a bit of a silly question, but are you sure you have the razor baseplate (the bit between the handle and blade) on the right way? I have the R89 myself and after getting it in the post, i took it apart to have a look i found myself not knowing which way is the correct way.

Here's what it should look like:

333gy6s.jpg

Hope you can gleam some use from everyone's advice and good luck with your next DE shave :)

v4w39e.jpg

2943uo9.jpg

Here are some pictures of a nice Gold Ball end Tech I got for $15 on Ebay, no plate loss at all, nearly in mint condition bar a slight brown stain on the handle.

I really like the feel of the handle, very hefty, surprisingly so. Haven't shaved with iy yet, but I presume it is a very mild shaver due the the blade angle they have.

Here are some pictures of a nice Gold Ball end Tech I got for $15 on Ebay, no plate loss at all, nearly in mint condition bar a slight brown stain on the handle.

I really like the feel of the handle, very hefty, surprisingly so. Haven't shaved with iy yet, but I presume it is a very mild shaver due the the blade angle they have.

Great find! The case is quite nice too.

So Solingen Timor blades are off my list. Only got half way through a shave last night with one before i had it swapped out for an Astra. Found it horribly dull to shave with!

• Advertisement

Great find! The case is quite nice too.

So Solingen Timor blades are off my list. Only got half way through a shave last night with one before i had it swapped out for an Astra. Found it horribly dull to shave with!

It's actually a case for 'Milord' razor, which is a serious upgrade of a 40's gold tech box, might look for an actual Milord now :)

I was looking forward to using the Timors, I'm a solid Astra SP man, but I won't bother now, I need a blade equivalent or sharper than an Astra or there's no point.

It's actually a case for 'Milord' razor, which is a serious upgrade of a 40's gold tech box, might look for an actual Milord now :)

I was looking forward to using the Timors, I'm a solid Astra SP man, but I won't bother now, I need a blade equivalent or sharper than an Astra or there's no point.

I'm gonna try and not go down that route just yet, i think the hoarder in me will make things quite expensive!

I was shaving off 2 weeks worth of growth in one go, maybe the Timors are no good for that? Either way, i shaved most of my right cheek with one and it wasn't very effective or comfortable. Swapped to the Astra and it sailed through the rest of my face, with no irritation to boot.

I'd say give a Timor a go by all means, but maybe keep an Astra at the ready :)

Are Timors made by Merkur?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Here are some pictures of a nice Gold Ball end Tech I got for $15 on Ebay.

Very nice. Do you think that is the originally paired case. I find it unusual that it has medium to heavy wear on the suede finish, but the razor is practically mint. Not that it matters really.

I love the look of those razors, but sadly I can't use them, thanks to my 'wire like' facial hair. The blade angle and gap are really quite discreet on those razors.

Amalgam wrote: »
    Very nice. Do you think that is the originally paired case. I find it unusual that it has medium to heavy wear on the suede finish, but the razor is practically mint. Not that it matters really.

I love the look of those razors, but sadly I can't use them, thanks to my 'wire like' facial hair. The blade angle and gap are really quite discreet on those razors.

Oh no, it's definitely a different case, which is from a 'Milord'. But if I have identified the razor right (Gold Ball end Tech) it is from the 40's, so I find it strange that the condition is so good too, bar a small stain on the handle.

You can't shave with plated razors and not wear the top plate over time, be it gold nickel or whatever.

• Advertisement

Are Timors made by Merkur?

Can't remember who they're made by, but it's not Merkur (though the company is German).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Have used razors like Mach3 and Wilkinson Swords FX all my life. Is it worth taking the plunge for a DE razor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Have used razors like Mach3 and Wilkinson Swords FX all my life. Is it worth taking the plunge for a DE razor?

Well this thread alone has almost 3,000 posts extolling the virtues of DE shaving. After a couple of decades using cartridge razors I switched to DE razors
    some years back. I have zero shaving problems (no irritation, cuts or razor bumps) and get a much closer shave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Well this thread alone has almost 3,000 posts extolling the virtues of DE shaving. After a couple of decades using cartridge razors I switched to DE razors
    some years back. I have zero shaving problems (no irritation, cuts or razor bumps) and get a much closer shave.

I know I started reading back a few pages, and everyone who switched seemed happy. I think I will go for the starter kit on shaving.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I know I started reading back a few pages, and everyone who switched seemed happy. I think I will go for the starter kit on shaving.ie

Best move you can make.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'm actually the same.

Chatter on bargain alerts alerted me to this, will check out some youtube videos as it looks like there is some technique involved.

Currently just using a Mach something, handy enough to use never any cuts but they cost a fortune and I go through the blades very quickly, gone to lurk this forum big style!

I'm a recent convert lads, and there's just no going back to cartridges!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Just swapped over and the seven part series he did was very helpful. As was this for post-shave.

I did a swap for some blades with KasierJim, and the Shark SS's are now my favourite blades I have used in my Fatboy. For me they are as smooth as the Astra,s but are sharper, they absolutley crushed some four 5 day stubble, so much so I just did two passes with and across the grain. Obviously it won't be as smooth as 3 pass, but it looked very close, so no point doing more than necesary.

I also think Mikes Natural Soap is going to be my only soap for the rest of my life, I really like how it performs, and has zero chemicals. Hope he doesn't stop making them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

I've been trying an Astra blade and actually found it quite disappointing. The first time I used it it didn't give me that close a shave; the second and third times, it kind of bumped across my skin rather than gliding. I was hoping I would like them as they are among the cheaapest on shaving.ie. I have another one in my sampler so I will try that before passing judgement.

My favourite blade so far has definitely been the Gillette 7o'clock Super Platinum.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭kaiserjim

I did a swap for some blades with KasierJim, and the Shark SS's are now my favourite blades I have used in my Fatboy. For me they are as smooth as the Astra,s but are sharper, they absolutley crushed some four 5 day stubble, so much so I just did two passes with and across the grain. Obviously it won't be as smooth as 3 pass, but it looked very close, so no point doing more than necesary.

I also think Mikes Natural Soap is going to be my only soap for the rest of my life, I really like how it performs, and has zero chemicals. Hope he doesn't stop making them.
    I've been trying an Astra blade and actually found it quite disappointing. The first time I used it it didn't give me that close a shave; the second and third times, it kind of bumped across my skin rather than gliding. I was hoping I would like them as they are among the cheaapest on shaving.ie. I have another one in my sampler so I will try that before passing judgement.

My favourite blade so far has definitely been the Gillette 7o'clock Super Platinum.

Its definitely a personal thing for me Astra's are only beaten by feathers in sharpness and I find Astra's much smoother.

That's the beauty of DE shaving; what's a dream shave for one person is a disaster for another. Praise for sampler packs!

I'm thinking about trying a Feather for the first time this evening. Styptic pencil at the ready :cool:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I started using Feather blades almost as soon as I bought my first proper razor (after a few months learning with a Wilkinson Sword Classic). I know they have a reputation, but I've never had any problems with them myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

That's the beauty of DE shaving; what's a dream shave for one person is a disaster for another. Praise for sampler packs!

I'm thinking about trying a Feather for the first time this evening. Styptic pencil at the ready :cool:
    I was thinking of doing the same, but I chickened out and used a Timor instead. Pretty nice I have to say.

Oh yeah, I bought an Ikon handle. Waiting on a NEW razor head to be delivered to try it out. Here is a Tech head on it in the meantime.

2n6d5wh.jpg

358qxs7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

I started using Feather blades almost as soon as I bought my first proper razor (after a few months learning with a Wilkinson Sword Classic). I know they have a reputation, but I've never had any problems with them myself.
    Me too. I use them with a Merkur 15C open-comb http://www.shaving.ie/products/Merkur-15c-Open-Comb-Razor.html.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Michael G wrote: »
    Me too. I use them with a Merkur 15C open-comb http://www.shaving.ie/products/Merkur-15c-Open-Comb-Razor.html.

Any reason why you chose open-comb over closed comb?

I've only been using a DE for 2 weeks but have had to do trimming around sideburns, goatee, and do my neck all on first blade. So far so good and I have sensitive skin around the neck which is why I switched in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

and has zero chemicals.

You have forced my hand sir.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

I started with a Merkur Progress and used that (with Feathers) for a year or so. I bought the 15C out of curiosity (the shaving.ie site is a very dangerous place to visit) but I took to it straight away and rarely use anything else now. It gives a beautiful shave. I have a €200 Feather All-Stainless that I bought on a mad whim but it rarely comes out because I like the 15C so much.

Advertisement