Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Speaking of Marc, his recent video is really good for those on a budget http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qSIP6uQ3EI

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I'm in a house where the extra shaving gear isn't 'appreciated', out in the open.. I was toying with the idea of a DE 'bonnet', something like.. (don't laugh down the back) a porcelain cover you'd use for butter. I had this dream where you could buy a left side razor 'bonnet', a right side bonnet and one where the razor is dropped in from above. Basically an 'alcove' made out of pottery/porcelain. The branding would be 3 discreet drainage holes up at the head of the razor, with a stilton blue coloured ring around each.

Overeating just before bed gives you some mad dreams.. :D

Amalgam wrote: »
    I'm in a house where the extra shaving gear isn't 'appreciated', out in the open.. I was toying with the idea of a DE 'bonnet', something like.. (don't laugh down the back) a porcelain cover you'd use for butter. I had this dream where you could buy a left side razor 'bonnet', a right side bonnet and one where the razor is dropped in from above. Basically an 'alcove' made out of pottery/porcelain. The branding would be 3 discreet drainage holes up at the head of the razor, with a stilton blue coloured ring around each.

Overeating just before bed gives you some mad dreams.. :D

Seek help quick :D:D

It would probably sell, albeit a niche market. I have a relative that can glaze\cure (I don't know what the proper term is..) pottery etc, having said that, If I approached her with the above idea, she'd think I'd been at the carpet glue..

MediaTank, Mantic is using a Weishi in the video you linked to.. some of their models look vaguely like a Gillette Slim, cheap as chips, less than twenty dollars. I might get one for the heck of it.

weishidn3.jpg

I forgot to add, the Weishi razors are meant to be quite forgiving for people starting out on the DE Safety path.

Looking around the various shaving fora, it looks like a toothbrush holder
    is ideal for using as a razor holder. I'm planning on checking out the
    likes of Home Store & More for a toothbrush holder that will hold a couple
    of razors (I have my Futur already and I also have a Progress in the post
    and due today).

I like Mantic59's tap shaped holder
    http://mantic59.blogspot.com/2008/03/that-cool-razor-stand.html

As for the brush, I use a separate brush stand.

Toothbrush holder is great for one razor. When you get bitten by the bug a spice rack is useful to store your razor and brush collection :)

• Advertisement

MediaTank, Mantic is using a Weishi in the video you linked to.. some of their models look vaguely like a Gillette Slim, cheap as chips, less than twenty dollars. I might get one for the heck of it.

I forgot to add, the Weishi razors are meant to be quite forgiving for people starting out on the DE Safety path.

The full list is Van Der Hagen shave soap, Emsplace pure badget brush, Weishi razor, Derby blade.

I haven't tried the soap, looks to give a nice lather.

Dord, another link for the Where to buy.. I haven't used them, but the site is UK based and there seems to be a varied selection, both modern and vintage.

http://www.safetyrazors.co.uk/shop/pc/home.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

A bit OT, but as there doesn't seem to be an OT thread here... thought you guys might like this toon:
    drowning-in-facial-hair.png

Bob's Razor Works

https://sites.google.com/site/bobsrazorworks/razor-handles

More Merkur Progress mutations.. I like the wood and nickel plating. You get the whole stem to replace yourself. $30. Not too shabby.

nickelplatedprogressdn3.jpg

woodprogressal4.jpg

It's a pity the site uses a God awful Picasa slideshow.

Some vintage razors and unique handles for sale, with or without shaving heads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Nice find and I've just mailed Bob for a quote including shipping.
    I used my new Progress yesterday and found it a lot different to the
    Futur. Whilst using it I couldn't help thinking the plastic knob ruins the
    design.

• Advertisement

I used my new Progress yesterday and found it a lot different to the
    Futur.

Better or worse? The Futur can be scary if you're starting out, as I am.. The head has a lot of space in it and the blade looks more 'out there' than it really is, fun.

[inner thoughts]Urge to dig out Futur for tomorrow.[/inner thoughts]

---

Working my way through a pack of Gillette 'slide out' blades, they're covered in oil and smell. Strangely, they move in the Merkur HD, there seems to be an extra pair of hexagons for placing in alternate razors. You just have to drop them in gingerly and hope for the best when screwing the head back on.

Better or worse? The Futur can be scary if you're starting out, as I am.. The head has a lot of space in it and the blade looks more 'out there' than it really is, fun.

Yip, and the snap on mechanism doesn't help either. It's very agressive above setting 2.

MT

He also has very nice looking vintage Gillette Slims and Fatboys for sell. Amalgam you need a Fatboy.

MT

I don't know.. If I had had the chance, I would have bought that mint Aristocrat on B&B a few days back, $195.. The box had superficial damage. Razor unused, more or less. I'm glad I don't have Paypal.

Just to say, the link I posted, some very very nice shaving brushes, pity most are sold.

I'd happily snap up a Rocket or Super Speed in good shape, or maybe a Gillette 'New', the brass(?) ones look like they should be in a Wagnerian Opera.

I don't know.. If I had had the chance, I would have bought that mint Aristocrat on B&B a few days back, $195.. The box had superficial damage. Razor unused, more or less. I'm glad I don't have Paypal.

The Aristocrats were made in England, and as of the time they were made, are not as good quality as the US made Gillettes. They do look nice though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

The Futur helped me understand why certain razors are labelled aggressive; combine a Futur set to 2.5, a fresh blade and an alum block
    and you'll understand why my face felt like I'd dipped it in acid :eek:

I was curious as to why the Futur got such mixed press so I ordered the
    Progress for comparison. Both shave equally well - neither have caused
    me to use the styptic pencil i have - but the Progress is much lighter,
    manoeuvrable and 'forgiving'.

Still too early to say which I'll use more, but I have a feeling I'll not only
    rotate between the two but end up ordering a few more in the near future
    to see how they differ.

Bob just replied to my earlier mail, USD35 in total inc shipping to Ireland
    for the nickel Progress knob. Any money I've saved on cartridge razors is well lost on my DE purchases at this stage.

MediaTank wrote: »
    The Aristocrats were made in England, and as of the time they were made, are not as good quality as the US made Gillettes. They do look nice though

Here's a picture of that particular sale.

aristocratta1.jpg

Tempting huh..
    Bob just replied to my earlier mail, USD35 in total inc shipping to Ireland
    for the nickel Progress knob. Any money I've saved on cartridge razors is well lost on my DE purchases at this stage.

Including P&P, that's not bad, for Europe. The Mergress is nice, but I rather like how this modification still maintains some of the plastic piece's 'chunkyness'.

The Futur helped me understand why certain razors are labelled aggressive; combine a Futur set to 2.5, a fresh blade and an alum block
    and you'll understand why my face felt like I'd dipped it in acid :eek:

I was curious as to why the Futur got such mixed press so I ordered the
    Progress for comparison. Both shave equally well - neither have caused
    me to use the styptic pencil i have - but the Progress is much lighter,
    manoeuvrable and 'forgiving'.

Do you use the same type blade in both? I found the Futur OK with a Merkur blade but hell on earth with a Feather in it. Because of the blade gap with this razor I never set it above 1 no matter what blade I'm using.

Have just done my first DE shave! :cool:

Watched some of Mantics vids on youtube, and followed his advice (mainly from the "leap into single blade shaving" one) so just did two passes, both straight down.

Have to say, I'm already a convert!

Not a single nick or cut, despite the fact that I was using ... erm ... cheaper equipment!
    I was in Boots earlier and saw the "Men U" "pure bristle" brush and little tube of shaving cream, and it inspired me, so went looking for the other bits and pieces. Got a Wilkinson Sword "Classic" razor with WS Classic blades, and a "Real Shaving Co. Ultimate Shaving Kit" pack of 4 50ml tubes, "Hot Towel Mask", Face Scrub, Shaving Cream, and Soothing Balm.

Started with the "Hot Towel Mask". You put a bit of this onto your palm, and rub your hands together and feel the cream start to get hot! Massage this into your wet face, and leave for 5 minutes, then wash it off. (I soaked the brush while waiting)
    After this I used the Men U cream, which didn't lather up as well as I expected, (could be down to my technique) but was still nicely creamy, with a nice tingle and smell of peppermint. Now the fun starts!
    As shown in Mantics video, I put the razor head flat against my face and rocked it down slowly till it made contact, and went from there. The first thing I noticed was how easy it felt, and the awesome noise it makes! (Honestly, anyone who hasn't tried one yet, the noise alone is worth it!)
    I shaved my whole face and neck, then lathered up again and did a second pass, which also went without a hitch.
    Washed off and patted my face dry, and applied some of the soothing balm. This felt quite nice, and had a nice aloe vera smell off it, which was a very 'clean' smell.

Verdict:

Really nice feeling shave, even though the equipment wasn't anything special, and I don't think I'll be going back to the multi-blade razors again, unless I'm stuck with nothing else to use!

Anyone considering making the leap, go for it! :)

[edit]
    And if it's this good with cheap gear, and not-all-that-highly-rated blades, I can't wait to try the better stuff!

I was in Boots earlier and saw the "Men U" "pure bristle" brush and little tube of shaving cream, and it inspired me, so went looking for the other bits and pieces.

Give that brush a few weeks, it gains a bit of body, doesn't stay the same shape, softens at the tip a fair bit, you just need to use it regularly to break it in, as I'm doing at the moment.

Have a scout at your local chemist if you want something a bit more rich than the concentrate that comes with the brush, most stock, 'Palmolive Classic', a green box with a green tube, with Palm Oil. I've seen a few in South Dublin also stocking Erasmic, but the price seems a bit high.

• Advertisement

My signature now has a Merkur razor in it, It must have dropped down through the grill at the back of the monitor and just.. lodged itself there.. oh well.

Verdict:

Really nice feeling shave, even though the equipment wasn't anything special, and I don't think I'll be going back to the multi-blade razors again, unless I'm stuck with nothing else to use!

Anyone considering making the leap, go for it! :)

Sweet!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Another person converted mwhahah :)

Haha! :D Damn yis all for getting me intrigued ;)

Never mentioned the results of the shave, smooth on a downward stroke of the face, but as there was no upwards pass done, an upward stroke still feels quite rough...

Might hold off on that till I can get an alum block or styptic pencil :pac:

I'm looking for a gadget you shove at the end of shaving tubes to roll them as you use them, basically like a tuning fork with a key like ending to hold onto. You shove the prong at the very end of the shaving tube say.. and turn the key to push out cream. Anywhere in Dublin sell them?

I'm looking for a gadget you shove at the end of shaving tubes to roll them as you use them, basically like a tuning fork with a key like ending to hold onto. You shove the prong at the very end of the shaving tube say.. and turn the key to push out cream. Anywhere in Dublin sell them?

I've seen these in antique fairs and bric a brac shops. They were used to get all of the toothpaste out of toothpaste tubes when the tubes were made of lead/tin. Remember that?

Do a search for 'toothpaste squeezer' on eBay to find the modern equivalent.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I know somebody asked already but I e-mailed http://www.sarabonnymanpottery.com about the moss scuttle anyway
    Thank you for your email. I mailed a scuttle to Dublin yesterday and the postage was 48.39 Cdn

Ouch, still though with shipping that makes total price around 59e odd which is not really expensive compared to this http://connaughtshaving.com/basicscuttle.html

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭vestanpance

Cabaal wrote: »
    I know somebody asked already but I e-mailed http://www.sarabonnymanpottery.com about the moss scuttle anyway

Ouch, still though with shipping that makes total price around 59e odd which is not really expensive compared to this http://connaughtshaving.com/basicscuttle.html

I think that's mine, I ordered one on Sunday (while slightly inebriated). I guessed shipping would be expensive but as you say it's not really compared to the ones on Connaught Shaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

My blades arrived in the post today. Thanks Amalgam. I'll try a couple over the weekend.

I was using a big coffee mug for my shaving mug, but picked up a shallower dish with a handle for 50 cent in a charity shop. It's ideal for the job. I'll take a pic over the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Package came today, thanks Amalgam!

I was going to try the Feather today but thought it might be better to wait until after St. Valentines day lol.

Advertisement