Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Nice one should have my package today as well I guess,
    I think that's mine, I ordered one on Sunday (while slightly inebriated). I guessed shipping would be expensive but as you say it's not really compared to the ones on Connaught Shaving.

It looks better quality then the one on Connaught I have to say, think I'll order it in a month or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Haha! :D Damn yis all for getting me intrigued ;)

Never mentioned the results of the shave, smooth on a downward stroke of the face, but as there was no upwards pass done, an upward stroke still feels quite rough...

Might hold off on that till I can get an alum block or styptic pencil :pac:

Give it a couple of weeks before you try the upward pass. Your face will thank you for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

MediaTank wrote: »
    Give it a couple of weeks before you try the upward pass. Your face will thank you for it :)

I find that with the grain and across the grain on cheeks and jaw line with a third pass against the grain on the chin works just fine. Against the grain on the neck and cheeks is likely to cause razor burn no matter how you lather. Unless you lads no differently of course ;)

andrewh5 wrote: »
    I find that with the grain and across the grain on cheeks and jaw line with a third pass against the grain on the chin works just fine. Against the grain on the neck and cheeks is likely to cause razor burn no matter how you lather. Unless you lads no differently of course ;)

When I first started with a safety razor going against the grain was not good so I stopped and kept to two passes one down and one across. Now it's not a problem to do 3 passes with the last against the grain. To do against the grain you need to let your face get used to the new method of shaving and secondly you need to develop your technique. Once you have both of those down pat, against the grain will be no problem for you.

MT

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I do three passes each morning, maybe there's not a need
    one down, one across and one down again to catch anything I may have missed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Against the grain depends on the blade for myself, the Crystal leave me without trauma, the Feather blades against the grain on the neck is another matter.

I do the circle lathering longer now, after watching Mantic's videos. Over 30 seconds at least, whereas previously I didn't know any better and would just 'apply' lather, wrong.. Amazing how much lifting the hair helps.

Glad the blades arrived, sorry for the delay, I ended up posting them from a sorting office at an ungodly hour.. I'd be curious to see your opinions on the Derby and Crystal, compared to the likes of the Merkur.. and of course there's the Feather to contemplate.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

MediaTank wrote: »
    Cabaal wrote: »

Thanks guys, again, I'd just been going with Mantic59s video of the "leap" into single blade shaving, where he said to do only two passes of only downward strokes for preferably 3 weeks (And added two weeks at least because I know you're not going to be that patient are you?) :D

I don't have the hardest growth, but the two passes of downwards strokes certainly aren't leaving me babys-bum-soft...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Yeah I'm still getting a few spots on my neck from against the grain shaving though the redness is gone. I reckon a few more weeks and I'll be baby smooth the whole time.

That's fine. It the against the grain pass that can cause problems. I sometimes do 3 passes, or 2.5 to catch the missed bits too.

If I rush, I reckon I can do a 2.5 passes and some lathering in ten minutes, the .5 is fiddling around the neck, as the Crystal blades allow me to go against the grain there.. what sort of times are you getting now, and are you honestly happy, compared to disposables.

Just to answer my own question, it is amazing how 'dry' a disposable & 'shaving foam' shave is, compared to lather and safety. I'm delighted with the time too, as often with a disposable (2 blade Gillette Lubristrip), I'd spend time washing off shaving foam and 'tapping' out residue, stubble etc from the disposable.

---

Anyone dumped the mug\scuttle\bowl and face lathering?

• Advertisement

Come to think of it the time is something that would concern me. I'm only working part time at the moment so don't really have to rush but between pre-wash, lathering, shaving and moisturising it can take me 20+ minutes.

its taking me about 10-13min each morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

I can do a very decent shave in 10 minutes if im in a rush!!
    But that being said-I love spending a good 20 minutes or more! Shower and a shave, what more can a man want!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Jip wrote: »
    I've been using a Merkur for the last year or so and I'll never return to a multi bladed system, although my first ever shave was with a double edged Wilkinsion. The shaves are much closer and enjoyable and of course the replacement blades are a hell of a lot cheaper.
    Give yourself time to get used to them though as there is a learning curve associated with them but after a while you'll be flying with nary a scratch on your face. The shave, when you're used to it, is very smoth and in my experience the blades last longer than the other expensive rubbish.

+1

Got my Merkur at www.4men.ie

More items from Connaught Shaving. You get twice the volume of Proraso, compared to the Speick. 150ml, compared to 75ml, for roughly the same price. I haven't used either, still working through a tube of Wars dbar sent me.

custardbathroomdz0.jpg

The 'Crystal' (Israeli Personna Super Platinum) are in the background, to the right. The colour scheme of the outer packaging totally at odds to the blade covers, which come in a delicate blue. (see below)

mysterybladegd9.jpg

The smell off the Speick is slightly medicated (Germolene?), there's a hint of menthol from the Proraso.

If anyone is thinking of getting Proraso, Connaught do a 500ml soft tube, which is the best value, kicking myself for not ordering that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Looks like I'm not the only one indulging in a fair bit of shaving related shopping ;)

I also received another delivery from Connaught Shaving today, the
    upgraded shipping meant I received this in 3 days compared to my last
    order which took 10 days.

I ordered the Proraso pre/post shave, shaving cream and shaving nick cream.
    I spotted they had the large sizes for the shaving cream and the
    pre/post shave cream in stock and they are what I ordered. Based on
    reviews of the pre/post cream I reckon I have enough for several years!

I also ordered the Mitchells lanolin soap and their largest blade sample pack so
    I have plenty of different blades to try out. I'm in the middle of
    reading this thread to see opinions on them.

Of the blades I've used so far, the IP Crystal/Personna Amalgam has
    pictured above are one of my favourites. I've used them in both the
    Futur and Progress and especially with the Progress I find they give
    a close shave with no irritation.

PS: Amalgam, I see your photo includes the most essential of shaving equipment,
    the radio for the bathroom.

PS: Amalgam, I see your photo includes the most essential of shaving equipment, the radio for the bathroom.

A bit of an odd beast, a Sony ICF-B01 FM/AM Radio, you can use batteries or charge it yourself. A flick switch at the back lets you choose between: GENERATED BATT\BATT, simple as that. The radio has a LED torch and a fluorescent lamp as well. I like it a lot, I charge it using the crank at the front, usually just under a minute will do for a shower, a bit more for a shower & shave.

http://www.fareastgizmos.com/other_stuff/sony_icfb01_hand_crank_radio.php

Shop around, the price varies wildly for it. Maplins have a range of hand-crank radios for half the price of the Sony. I hate buying batteries, my main reason for buying the radio.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone that has used the Proraso After Shave Balm, it has no alcohol and contains Witchhazel.

prorasobalmer9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Amalgam wrote: »

The 'Crystal' (Israeli Personna Super Platinum) are in the background, to the right. The colour scheme of the outer packaging totally at odds to the blade covers, which come in a delicate blue. (see below)

mysterybladegd9.jpg

I've been trying various blades from connaught shaving sample kit that i got. I was about to post a picture of these and ask what brand they were because i had lost their cover, no need now. They're pretty good IMO better than the derby extra but not as good as the feathers

Yet again this thread is filled with win.

Badger & Blade member ssilcox is touting some keenly priced shaving brush and razor stands.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=76603

I'll post a clear pic of the stand here, for more, in use, please visit the above link.

acrylicstandwz2.jpg

So I started making these a while back when someone was looking for a stand. They have caught on and I have had quite a few people request them. I updated the style tonight, and I think it turned out pretty cool.

I can do them in black, clear, or white acrylic. This is a one size fits most - but if you have a particularly large brush (this fits an Omega boar - 28mm) or a particularly small brush, I can cut it up or down accordingly.

$5 Shipped CONUS - anywhere in the world for $3 plus actual shipping.

Also, if you have any comments on tweaking the design I would love to get feedback.

Also - I dont really have a brush stand-making business per se, but if this should go in the shopping section I apologize, and the mods are free to move it if it fits better there.

Thanks!

• Advertisement

Badger & Blade member ssilcox is touting some keenly priced shaving brush and razor stands.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=76603
    Oh that looks nice, might get in contact with him about getting one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Bambi wrote: »
    I've been trying various blades from connaught shaving sample kit that i got. I was about to post a picture of these and ask what brand they were because i had lost their cover, no need now. They're pretty good IMO better than the derby extra but not as good as the feathers

Yet again this thread is filled with win.

I've had a couple of shaves with the Super Platinum that I got from Amalgam, and I really do like it. I'll have to get some more soon.

A bit of an odd beast, a Sony ICF-B01 FM/AM Radio, you can use batteries or charge it yourself. A flick switch at the back lets you choose between: GENERATED BATT\BATT, simple as that. The radio has a LED torch and a fluorescent lamp as well. I like it a lot, I charge it using the crank at the front, usually just under a minute will do for a shower, a bit more for a shower & shave.

http://www.fareastgizmos.com/other_stuff/sony_icfb01_hand_crank_radio.php

Its expensive alright, this seems better as its more suitable for worldwide travel then the sony
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=222276
    40e off of ebay poland for this same model in gray

noby wrote: »
    I've had a couple of shaves with the Super Platinum that I got from Amalgam, and I really do like it. I'll have to get some more soon.

Just under £11 sterling for 100 x Crystal (Israeli Personna Platinum Plus)

Here's the inner pack, I've a picture of the outer further up the thread. No logo, just 'Made In Israel'.

crystalinnergm5.jpg

Right today is Feather day. I'll post back later with the results.

Its expensive alright, this seems better as its more suitable for worldwide travel then the sony
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=222276

..and that's twice the price of the entry models Maplin stock, for once, considering the stick Maplins get overall, their choice is okay.. and quite varied, feature and price wise.

Amalgam, can you tell me are these in anyway related to the Crystal (Israeli Personna Platinum Plus) or are they just generic - http://www.shaving-shack.com/shop/catalog/30-Israeli-Made-Double-Edged-Razor-Blades-p-2705.html

5da12585f804d62301fde53f266a0baf.jpg

a199f3c1439dfda72cff9b1174867e21.jpg

I've been mainly using them as they came free with my order on shaving shack and I have to say I'm pretty happy with them, they are marked as Israeli Made Double Edged Razor Blades

They're made in the same factory, from what I've read. eBay has great deals regarding the 'oem' IP's and the eBay sellers turn up on several shaving forums to interact with buyers. The sourcing of the blades seems to be taken as gospel. (genuine)

Some are unmarked, some have 'Made In Israel'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

There's pages of threads on the usual sites comparing the various Israeli blades. It was like an international spy novel with various people trying to
    find out what blades are made in one factory but repackaged in another.
    I'll order some Crystal IP Personnas soon and might see if I can get the
    Personna Reds as well.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=76152 is a review on your blades Cabal, I too have a fair few of them as they were both in a
    sample pack and came free with my last two orders.

Tonight is also blade change time for me, am torn between trying out a Feather or sticking with the Crystal/Personna and trying to perfect
    shaving whilst keeping the blade/razor combo constant. Saying that
    I'm getting results equal to or surpassing a Fusion shave.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭von Neumann

andrewh5 wrote: »

I had this problem too, I stopped stretching the skin and it disappeared :).
    Try shaving your neck without tilting your head back, It feels strange but it worked for me.

Advertisement