Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Board Football v Grosvenor Lane: The Rematch of the Rematch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Trippie wrote: »
    Takes about 20 minutes to walk from the kilmacud luas stop

Really? I thought it was just up the road...

Reggie the directions are in the Map Jeff posted. You can see the Luas symbol on the bottom of the map.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

akkenny wrote: »
    defo brian is a class footballer with plenty of experience behind him, playing for bohs and leinster senior should defo be in starting 11

No offence but is this not irrelevant though? I thought originally it was supposed to be a friendly kick about between the degenerates here and now the only difference is that jeff's team is supplying the opposition. If we are that concerned about beating them then why not just get a whole team of ringers in to give them a good going over.

Really? I thought it was just up the road...

You're forgetting im from the sticks where next door is 10 minutes away

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

I'll be driving from D3 going M50 route so anyone Collins Avenue or their abouts that wants a lift pm me with details and I'll send a text later tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭The_Chopper

i'll be there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭jbravado

akkenny wrote: »
    defo brian is a class footballer with plenty of experience behind him, playing for bohs and leinster senior should defo be in starting 11

Defo get Brian to come up-yep we want a laugh etc but want to be competitive aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭The_Chopper

jbravado wrote: »
    Defo get Brian to come up-yep we want a laugh etc but want to be competitive aswell.

If he's that good, given that we're only playing 1 striker, should i give up my place for him Sam/Oscar?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭akkenny

Trippie wrote: »
    No offence but is this not irrelevant though? I thought originally it was supposed to be a friendly kick about between the degenerates here and now the only difference is that jeff's team is supplying the opposition. If we are that concerned about beating them then why not just get a whole team of ringers in to give them a good going over.

you want to go out and get hammered again make a game of it, ill even give up my position for brian, i like a laugh but im also competitive and brian would make a good differnece to the team as long as he isnt on the beer now ha, see yas tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭BHW

ugh sorry lads, 10 proved too early, i had to work later then expected last night, im not sure if akkenny made it, he was my lift:eek:. hope it went well

Another loss by the same score as last time a(lthough im not sure) but a better performance from our side with their keeper doing great things for them. Still some silly errors by us but thats to be expected.

Very little dispute about goal of the day which would have to go to Jeff and his lob of lloyd from the half way. It may or may not have been a clearance no doubt they will dispute it amongst themselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Yup we got beaten fair and square.

We were the better side in the first 3rd. Then fitness told and we lost our shape/concentration/drive. We kinda came back into it in the last 3rd though and gave em a good run for it. Sammy was excellent today, thought Daragh battled hard too, in fairness when we could, we all gave it 100%.

Jeff scored a specatacular goal, and another one of theirs was a nifty little lob too. We got unlucky for their 3rd (I think) and final goal but all in all, they were better when it mattered.

Good game though, really enjoyed it. Should be come a regular fixture for the Grovesnor lads as they always seem keen.

Thanks to Keith/Jeff for organising it and all the lads who turned out and obviously the opposition, we're still chasing that elusive win, but we'll get there. Good way to spend a sunday morning imo.

Yup we got beaten fair and square.

There was periods when we did play some very nice football but there was no complaints about the result
    We were the better side in the first 3rd. Then fitness told and we lost our shape/concentration/drive. We kinda came back into it in the last 3rd though and gave em a good run for it. Sammy was excellent today, thought Daragh battled hard too, in fairness when we could, we all gave it 100%.

the rolling substitutions didnt help at all as soon as keith went off i was more or less completely lost positionally wise. in the 2nd half we ended up lumping it up from the back and we were unable to win any clean ball and the difference in the last half was that they lost their shape and we kept the ball down and passed it about making good runs.

Good game though, really enjoyed it. Should be come a regular fixture for the Grovesnor lads as they always seem keen.

ye id be up for it as it was a good game and very enjoyable
    Thanks to Keith/Jeff for organising it and all the lads who turned out and obviously the opposition, we're still chasing that elusive win, but we'll get there. Good way to spend a sunday morning imo.

ditto.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

Yeah very enjoyable, I feel like I let the team down a bit with some wayward shooting (and not-shooting). I need some practice shooting into massive goals!

Jeff would you like another friendly in 2 or 3 weeks time? Id like to get a team together for it, I have some plans and tactics in mind. Not at 10am though!

1st third: 2-1 to Boards

The Boards XI set up very well and everyone seemed to have a good idea of their jobs. Ricky played right on the shoulder of the last man and it worked well for us. Our 2 goals came from, more or less, exactly where I had hoped they would; the midfield and back four kept a solid control on the ball and crowded out their better players and when the ball came into our possession we shifted it forward quickly and Ricky got in and scored. In fairness the second one was a bit fortuitous considering my pass/clearance covered most of the pitch and landed right in front of Ricky but still...

2nd Third: 5-0 to Grosvenor Lane
    We collapsed positionally in the second half. Concentration levels dropped and I have to take a lot of the blame for changing things around but not keeping everyone informed as to what I was doing. It lead to people being confused about their jobs and Grosvenor were ruthless. To be fair to Lloyd 2 or 3 of the goals in this period were very lucky but the other 2, and without a doubt Jeff's superb goal (he was definitely shooting) were pure class. They were far more organised in this period and seemed really put out by losing the first third.

Final Third: 2-0 Grosvenor
    I don't think I can understate how big a difference the Grosvenor keeper made in this period. Reggie, Sam and Ricky all should have had goals and against the vast majority of goalkeepers they would have but the Grosvenor keeper was in great form; pulling out one save from a deflected shot (apologies I cannot remember who hit it) where he, as Ricky put it, "appeared out of nowhere" sailing across the goal to fingertip the ball around the post. A truly outstanding effort from him. Boards controlled the ball for almost the entirety of this third but conceded 2 goals, one which was a total fluke as 2 people missed headers and an unsighted Lloyd was taken completely unawares, on breakaways.

On a personal note I'd like to thank all the lads for putting up with me today and giving it all they could. It was very enjoyable and I hope we rotated the players around enough to give everyone a good run. Now bring on the rematch of the rematch of the rematch

• Registered Users Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭cardshark202

Yeah thanks for the game lads. Cheers to keith and jeff for organising it. Sick that their keeper saved my only shot! Was sure it was destined for the top corner! Anyway was an enjoyable game. Hopefully we can pencil in another one of these for April(when I get back from Beunos Aires again!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

It was a very good game and their keeper was v v good, i thought i scored to make it 3-0 only for him to push it bottom corner for a corner.

Interested to see how Darragh's tactics differ, i for one think we have the bones of a good team and one that will eventually beat them:eek:

i for one think we have the bones of a good team and one that will eventually beat them:eek:

I already know what Darragh's speech will be pre-game:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

good excuse to get up at 8 am! :) good fun again, lloyd is surprisingly easy to beat from distance! :)

Daragh, we've a friendly ourselves on saturday 3rd, at the moment we've nothing for Jan 10th but its 50-50 if the league will be up and running again by then. Obviously if it is then we're not available, but could you look into a jan 10th game?

having a squad with 3 keepers all of the same standard is handy. They all came from the same youth club and were one year behind eachother so we have 3 years of quality goalkeeping at our club. they rotate cos they all want to play outfield after years of goalkeeping!

The 10th would be fine. The more notice I get the better though, when will you know about the League?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

not sure what sort of team you're putting together Daragh (ie lads you play with regularly or boys from here), but id be up for the 10th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

So would I, happy enough to play anywhere but probably most useful at LB or RB.

I want to bring a few new faces in, so it will be a mixture of people who already played and some I play with. If we can get the keeper I want we have a really good chance!

Cheers lads, ill mark you down. We definitely missed you on Sunday Donal

By the way, how come we have been playing the matches in 3 parts rather than two?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭DAMO72

It was a very good game and their keeper was v v good, i thought i scored to make it 3-0 only for him to push it bottom corner for a corner.

Interested to see how Darragh's tactics differ, i for one think we have the bones of a good team and one that will eventually beat them:eek:
    Now that has to be one of the most idiotic statements i have ever heard IMO. And your supposed to be the intelligent one.

DAMO72 wrote: »
    Now that has to be one of the most idiotic statements i have ever heard IMO. And your supposed to be the intelligent one.

Here now! We were measurably better than them in 2 of the three periods. With a couple of small changes and if the ball bounced our way a bit we could definitely beat that team. They were a shambles at the back when Jeff wasn't there to sort them out. They were definitely better organised than us and we suffered from lack of familiarity with each others game but I would say with the exception of Jeff and their keeper there wasn't much there to worry us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭DAMO72

Here now! We were measurably better than them in 2 of the three periods. With a couple of small changes and if the ball bounced our way a bit we could definitely beat that team. They were a shambles at the back when Jeff wasn't there to sort them out. They were definitely better organised than us and we suffered from lack of familiarity with each others game but I would say with the exception of Jeff and their keeper there wasn't much there to worry us.
    They surely must have been a shambles at the back if fran nearly scored.
    Maybe the keeper didn't see him behind the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

TBH Keith I don't think we were measurably better then them in the third third, nor do I think in the first third we ran riot....

They had a few decent players other then Jeff and their keeper, the two just stood out as being head and shoulders above the rest of the players, with one or two notable exceptions.

No doubt the boards team had the core of a decent side but you'd probably need to replace about 4-5 of us to be favourites in a tie against Grosvenor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

7-2 and 8-2... they aren't scorelines that suggest a close encounter to be honest. obviously i'm looking at it from a different perspective but i thought we were the better team in all thirds. the first one two goals were scored with a player 5-15 yards off side, both goals that dont get scored with the offside rule in play. our midfielders dominated, sam was given alot of time on the ball, but time/possession does not equal goals and chances.

i thought yesterdays boards team was better that the first week, but our team was better too, we had our regular centre mid back, but at the same time we were missing 3 first team regulars, all of whom would play the full 90.

we play it in 3 thirds largely cos we only book the pitch for an hour so on the off chance we get booted off after an hour we've played 2 halves. it also allows for 2 chances to discuss things during a friendly, which i think is a useful exercise.

cant wait for the next one! :D

We were far from better than them in the first third as jeff says our two goals were from offside positions but it does bring up a point that perhaps in future we crowd our back line, sit deep and try to play on the counter attack. When we ran at them we looked dangerous as there was lots of space left in behind their back line and it even though it might be a bit boring it could provide us with a closer scoreline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭jbravado

The scoreline tells its own story. It was very disheartening when we crumbled in the second period-the roll on off thing is a bit of a hinderance.
    Great fun again though played in a good spirit-saying that I think with a little more quality in a few areas we could really give them a competitve game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,237 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement