Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Board Football v Grosvenor Lane: The Rematch of the Rematch

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Jayminator

ffs Im still recovering from the ripping out of the weeping ripe appendix so 28th is probably to soon for me. I ve sent Keith a PM about a possible pitch. Did nt realise you lads wanted it so close after the last game.

I ll make a couple of calls tommorro to try get a decent grass pitch but i rckon the grass pitch complexes may all be closed over the Christmas.

Jay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

thechamp87 wrote: »
    u forgot semibluff on that list

If there's enough numbers, like 13+ ill pass. Its a bit of a trip to travel up, and have another game that morning neways, but imagine that alcohol will win the overall battle!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭akkenny

lads im up for a game im not playin over christmas and wouldnt mind a good game of ball to end the year, i play up front or centre mid

Currently confirmed players for the Boards XI:

Kayroo
    Carfax
    Jbravado
    Sikes
    thechamp87
    Reggie
    Trippie
    Hectorjelly
    Jackyback
    The Chopper
    Roryc is a maybe
    Theresalwaysone
    Akkenny
    Shoutman
    Kev Maloney

I am leaving Semibluff off the list as we have 14 already and he said if we got 13+ he'd rather leave it.

Given there'll be quite a few travelling and probably hungover when do people want to kick off 3 or 4 ish?

There is still room for 1 or 2 more so get onto me soon as you can. Given how messed up a lot of the lads will be roll on/off subs will be vital.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭thechamp87

theres always 25% ish that wont make it for various reasons, so i think we need 15/16 provisionally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

aim to get 15+ i'd say. Spoke to our manager, he'll look into raphaela's in the morning. shouldnt be a problem. we'll have a team together for it, i figure 3pm is grand. also, if keith/jay can sort a pitch then happy days! :) also, kev maloney was in school with myself and about half our team so he should know a fair bit about us. (if its the same kev maloney!)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,237 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This post has been deleted.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I suppose I'll jump in goal for the full thing - proving once again that flattery will get you everywhere.

For Boards?

For Boards?

well we don't want him!

ditpoker wrote: »
    well we don't want him!

Everyone knows you want him Jeff...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭cardshark202

Ok this looks good, I remember sikes(Simon) telling me he wanted in as did pokypoky(Karl)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

Kayroo
    Carfax
    Jbravado
    Sikes
    thechamp87
    Reggie
    Trippie
    Hectorjelly
    Jackyback
    The Chopper
    Roryc is a maybe

Kev Maloney and Theresalwaysone are likely to be in there too which gives us 11 already. A few subs so we can switch people around between turkey induced heart attacks would be nice.

Darragh, if you can grab a couple of the lads from your regular game (assuming we are short players) we'd be grand.

Just so people know, I have NO idea how to book the venue so somebody else will need to look into the pitch you guys used last time.

this list is missing me, I PMed you but may have forgotten to post itt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭jbravado

Al Kenny?

GOALKEEPER: LLOYD
    Kayroo
    Carfax
    Jbravado
    Sikes
    thechamp87
    Reggie
    Trippie
    Hectorjelly
    Jackyback
    The Chopper
    PokyPoky
    Roundtower
    Roryc is a maybe
    Theresalwaysone
    Akkenny
    Shoutman
    Kev Maloney

I am leaving Semibluff off the list as we have 17 there and he said if we got 13+ he'd rather leave it.

Given there'll be quite a few travelling and probably hungover when do people want to kick off 3 or 4 ish?

If someone hears from Jeff about pitch availabilty could they let me know?

LASTLY:

I will stick up the starting 11 at some point before the 28th but it is very much a fluid 11 given how much fluid and turkey most of us will have on board so don't worry if you are not in it, you'll be getting on in jig time and 2 or 3 are sure to have to pull out so I'd say we'll be there with 14/15 maximum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 kweeveen

can someone text me the time this is on at, probably wont be checking boards for a few days..

Kev M (ex St. Kilians!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

So you don't want us to do nets keith?

im sure he just missed you lloyd, no doubt there'll be another update soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭akkenny

jbravado wrote: »
    Al Kenny?

ye im in

So you don't want us to do nets keith?

I have your name on the list man. You are definitely in goals. I am gonna post a provisional starting XI this evening before I head out. Just thinking about midfield at the mo.

OK, this is the provisional team, subject to change before the game if someone PM's me with any real concerns:

Lloyd

Kev M
    Kayroo
    thechamp87
    Reggie

Theresalwaysone

Jbravado
    Akkenny

Jackyback
    Hectorjelly

The Chopper

The Reasoning:
    I haven't seen most of the lads on the teamsheet play so I am going by a combination of the lads I have seen and the testimony of others.

The Back 4:
    We'll be playing reasonably flat. As their is no proper ref we'll probably be playing the same system as the last game so it'll be touch tight on the forwards of the other team. We probably won't have them for pace over 10-20 yards so we need to stop them turning quickly in the first place. Best way to do this is to be first to the ball. Theresa will make quick balls into feet harder for them so there'll doubtless be balls coming over the top. We'll play a little deep to counter this but not so much that we box ourselves in. Winning ball in the air is going to be vital so anyone not happy with sticking their head in had best let me know.
    The full backs will have to track their men closely too. If we are clogging the centre of the pitch then the full backs can expect to see quite a lot of the ball. Keep the line tight and force them down the outside and we should do ok. Nothing easy comes through the centre so keep them out on the line. Lloyd will be in goal and if he says move somewhere you go there, he's the only player on our team who can see the whole pitch the whole time so let's listen to him.

Midfield:
    In the last two games we have been over-run because of a positional naivety in midfield and an overall lack of structure. I am slotting Theresalwaysone into a defensive midfield slot for 2 reasons: 1) To break up anything coming through the middle and protect the back pairing; and 2) To control the pace of the game for our team.
    The Chopper is a big guy and plays with his back to goal. There will be a big need for at least one of the two midfield pairing in front of Theresa (Jbravado and Al) to get forward to help him whenever we have the ball. Similarly the wide players will be allowed to stay a little further forward than normal to help him out but obviously they'll still need to track back and dig in as much as possible.

Forward:
    Chopper, you are gonna have to hold the ball up and bring the midfield into the game. If you have an opportunity to turn and go at the back 4 then fine but the majority of the time we'll be looking for you to be an outlet so we can build up the field and control the game. We are at all different levels of fitness so we can't be playing an end to end game flat out, we need to play the game at a pace that suits us and we can only do that by holding onto the ball, that goes for you more than almost anyone on the pitch.

Any questions or suggestions PM me. I'll check in when I get a chance. The squad may change before the day depending on people pulling out etc and everyone will get a good run since we'll all be ****ed anyway.

Merry Christmas to all and I'll see ye on the 28th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

I can't really do it in the afternoon, can only make it if it finishes by 3, maybe 4 at a stretch.

RoundTower wrote: »
    I can't really do it in the afternoon, can only make it if it finishes by 3, maybe 4 at a stretch.

Well there is nothing set in stone. I don't know if the pitch will only be available at a certain time or whatever but once Jeff gets back to me with pitch times then we can set a defintive time for the match.

just spoke to our very hungover manager who assures me he is on the case for sorting the pitch and will get back to me as soon as possible.

also, i think kev m is left footed... i think, prob best to play him left back.

kayroo, probably best if you volunteer to sit this one out, we dont wanna win by too much.

when i know more i'll post here and text kayroo and lloyd.

pitch confirmed.

st raphaela's again, saturday at 4pm. someone is on the pitch in the morning so couldnt get it earlier.

Saturday 28th, 4pm kick off.

PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHERE YOU'RE GOING BEFORE YOU GO THERE!!!
    Dont ring on the day looking for directions (if you can avoid it)
    I will post the map again if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

pitch confirmed.

st raphaela's again, saturday at 4pm. someone is on the pitch in the morning so couldnt get it earlier.

lol

pitch confirmed.

Do post it up Jeff, cheers.

I may switch the full backs now I have that left foot nugget of info but take it as is for now

raphaelas_map.png

if you need more directions try maps.google.com
    if you need MORE directions, post here, asking what you need to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

One of the main problems in the last game is that we were too slow to get the ball forward, and we lost it a good bit in our own half. If we lose the ball in our own half we are under immediate danger of conceding a goal. Its much better to play an early ball up to the front line. They are a bit sloppy at the back at times and seem to be trying to play the offside trap despite there being no offside. Not once did we take advantage of that in the last game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

One of the main problems in the last game is that we were too slow to get the ball forward, and we lost it a good bit in our own half. If we lose the ball in our own half we are under immediate danger of conceding a goal. Its much better to play an early ball up to the front line. They are a bit sloppy at the back at times and seem to be trying to play the offside trap despite there being no offside. Not once did we take advantage of that in the last game.

Translate: Hoof the ball out of defence quickly and hope one of the attackers gets onto it.

Thats not enjoyable for anyone.

I think we should try and keep the ball as much as possible. Let it do all the work, god knows many of us aren't that fit so keeping the ball is the simplest way to combat this.

Also, given that its a 4-5-1 formation we have numbers back if we do lose the ball in our own half so the danger of conceding wouldn't be as potent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

Great plan steve, ignore totally what happened in the last game

Advertisement