Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fathers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    We are in a 1 bed with a 6 week old at the moment. It is no hassle and we do not plan on moving until he is moving about. Babies don't have to take up much space if you are sensible about it. Our lad has a cot, a playmat and a day chair. Everything else is in the drawer or wardrobe.

We traded in the TT and got a 4 door Insignia which is more than adequate for our needs.

If money is an issue then it would seem strange that your gf would take years off work? Assess who has the most earning power and make the decision on that basis. If you are not in permanent work and your gf is it would be crazy for her to quit. You are just as capable of caring for a baby as she is once you get past the breast feeding stage.

Ouch that would kill me :pac:
    We're going to buy a travel system secondhand... the money is ridiculous for the brand new ones!

They don't have to be you can spend huge amount a friend of mine spent 1300 on one :eek:, but we got one in mothercare the girlfriend having three young nephews knew exactly what she wanted and what to look for and we got one she loved for 350 which is grand imo.

It can all be daunting but I can't wait to be honest ours is due the beginning of August and its been a whirlwind ride so far but a brilliant one at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I'm guessing it'll be a Civic for us, can't be wasting money on an Opel. I hate the boring feckin' things, I've had two so far and I won a day driving brand new Opels around Wicklow at high speed - it put me off them for life. No, we didn't crash, they were just terminally boring. An ECO button on the dash? Come on!

Back on topic, I'm really looking froward to the chaos, even if my lovely girlfriend has been asleep with first trimester fatigue since 2130 this evening. Men have it easy.

And I've just got my mancard officially stamped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

I'm guessing it'll be a Civic for us, can't be wasting money on an Opel. I hate the boring feckin' things, I've had two so far and I won a day driving brand new Opels around Wicklow at high speed - it put me off them for life. No, we didn't crash, they were just terminally boring. An ECO button on the dash? Come on!

Back on topic, I'm really looking froward to the chaos, even if my lovely girlfriend has been asleep with first trimester fatigue since 2130 this evening. Men have it easy.

What year and what cc?

Have to say I agree I've had two Insignia's as rental cars both for a few days each time, and hated them with a passion took the joy out of driving imo. Thing will be tighter with the baby coming along but once I can still justify the high tax on my car I will be keeping it stupid government :(.

On topic

We really do have it easy, but like yourself I can't wait still a few months to go yet though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Have to say I feel sorry for my partner at the moment... every twinge or pain I get he's nearly hopping off the sofa and into the car to drive me to the hospital. You'd think because this is our fourth we'd be able to relax a bit, but nope!

• Advertisement

January wrote: »
    Have to say I feel sorry for my partner at the moment... every twinge or pain I get he's nearly hopping off the sofa and into the car to drive me to the hospital. You'd think because this is our fourth we'd be able to relax a bit, but nope!

How long have you left January?

robertxxx wrote: »
    What year and what cc?

The Civic will probably be 2004-2006 1.5-1.6 auto.
    Have to say I agree I've had two Insignia's as rental cars both for a few days each time, and hated them with a passion took the joy out of driving imo. Thing will be tighter with the baby coming along but once I can still justify the high tax on my car I will be keeping it stupid government :(.

On topic

We really do have it easy, but like yourself I can't wait still a few months to go yet though.

Yeah, the tax is a pain but it has to be done. 8 months left from tomorrow! Hopefully the current Corsa will be gone long before the Promised One arrives.

The Civic will probably be 2004-2006 1.5-1.6 auto.

Yeah, the tax is a pain but it has to be done. 8 months left from tomorrow! Hopefully the current Corsa will be gone long before the Promised One arrives.

Can't go wrong with a Civic really or a Honda.

Yea sadly tax does have to be done :(, just a pain when its 1494 for the year but I love my car and it always makes me smile it's how I justify it :pac:.

8 months a good bit to go yet herself is 6 months gone now, felt my first little kick the other day on her stomach which was strange but really cool.

Can't go wrong with a Civic really or a Honda.

Yea sadly tax does have to be done :(, just a pain when its 1494 for the year but I love my car and it always makes me smile it's how I justify it :pac:.

8 months a good bit to go yet herself is 6 months gone now, felt my first little kick the other day on her stomach which was strange but really cool.

I'm very much looking forward to the first kick, the high car tax is no fun but if you love your cars it's a must. One day I'll get myself a 30 year old classic just for the €52 tax.

I'm very much looking forward to the first kick, the high car tax is no fun but if you love your cars it's a must. One day I'll get myself a 30 year old classic just for the €52 tax.

Yea it is cool the one I felt was faint but was enough :), next I can't wait till you actually see it. It's crazy how much more attention or how much more you start noticing friends kids etc when your expecting one yourself, and look at them with excitement for your own that is on the way.

It sure is a must, yea it's something I've always considered myself if someday I have to scale down the day to day car ill buy myself an old classic weekend car. Something Jap or a 500sec Merc or even an 8 series the possibilities are endless :).

• Advertisement

How long have you left January?

Due date is tomorrow Marty but doesn't seem to be anything stirring just yet!

Have to say I'm a bit worried about the possiblity of a miscarriage/ectopic/molar pregnancy. Did anyone else worry about it or is it just me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Have to say I'm a bit worried about the possiblity of a miscarriage/ectopic/molar pregnancy. Did anyone else worry about it or is it just me?

Every one has those worries, it's all natural. When is your baby due?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

It's always in the back of the mind . We had a m/c but my wife's gp put it in perspective. 1 IN 4 miscarry but it's not the end. We went on to have our second baby boy afterwards.

loubian wrote: »
    Every one has those worries, it's all natural. When is your baby due?

Late December, we're only in our fifth week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Late December, we're only in our fifth week.

It's natural to be worried about it all. Just try take each week as it comes and hopefully everything goes well for you

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,325 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It is the main reason why most people don't announce the pregnancy until 2-3 months. Also, we refused to entertain choosing names until the 5-6 month mark. Unfortunately it is a real risk but really there is nothing much you can do about other than have a healthy lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Just found out herself is expecting.
    I'm shocked. Never thought it would happen this fast.

I'm kinda in Disbelief. Is this normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

CptMackey wrote: »

Congrats! I still think my other half is in disbelief, and we've a six month old :p I think it takes longer for it to sink in for the men, as there's nothing obviously 'pregnant' about a woman for quite a while, whereas she immediately feels effects like tiredness, sore breasts, nausea etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

nikpmup wrote: »
    Congrats! I still think my other half is in disbelief, and we've a six month old :p I think it takes longer for it to sink in for the men, as there's nothing obviously 'pregnant' about a woman for quite a while, whereas she immediately feels effects like tiredness, sore breasts, nausea etc.

Ya she was tired all last week and it wasn't like her. Eek I'm thrilled but I haven't a clue what to expect

• Advertisement

Yep, happened to us too, thought it'd take a year but it only took 2 months. Congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

No point in telling you, you'll have every expert under the sun giving you well meant ''advice'' for the rest of your life :D For now, let her sleep - the tiredness in the first few weeks is unbelieveable!

Ya she was tired all last week and it wasn't like her. Eek I'm thrilled but I haven't a clue what to expect

It's quite normal when I found out it did take a few weeks for it to sink in properly, but once you get used to the idea excitement will kick in. It flys by really, my girlfriend is at the 6 month mark now and it feels like yesterday we found out.

I never thought I'd enjoy baby shopping but right now im loving it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Congratulations! :)

Its normal, I remember my granny telling me that even after baby arrives you still won't believe if fully

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Greetings dads/ dads to be etc. Long time user of boards.ie, but my posts thus far have been concentrated on the Athletics/ Running boards.ie Forum. We are expecting our first arrival(s) in November - yep - twinnies. Big changes ahead, but to be honest we are delighted and look forward to their arrival, with fingers crossed for a smooth journey.

The Athletics/ Running Forum may see less of me in due course. Anyhow that is it for now, but I look forward to dipping in here occasionally, sharing my story and getting some advice as we go through the next 6 months!

Killerz

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭badgerhowlin

Twins first time around. Feck thats harsh! But you'll be fine....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I'd prefer twins first time! My brother had twins when his first was around 2. He calls that first year with the 3 of them the "Year of hell". Says he doesn't even remember most of it due to sleep deprivation and just blocking it out! Another friend had twins first time and said while it was tough going they didn't know any better so not too bad, when child number 3 came along it was a breeze for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

First time I'm posting in this forum as I'm looking for some advice.
    I'm married now just over a year and we are in the process of buying our own home. Our financial situation is comfortable so we've decided on trying for a baby.
    She was ovulating last week so within that tiny period we did the business. Immediately afterwards she began getting pains which lasted a few days after which a test was done and came back negative.
    Now her pains seem to be turning into period pains and we start all over again.
    Has anyone here had a few misses before actually getting pregnant? We've tried a few times and nothing is happening so we are worried there is a problem with us.
    Thanks for reading :(

It can take a few months to get the timing right etc... some women don't ovulate at the same time each month so you could be a day or two off.

I'd advise posting in the Trying to Conceive forum just below this one for more advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

January wrote: »
    It can take a few months to get the timing right etc... some women don't ovulate at the same time each month so you could be a day or two off.

I'd advise posting in the Trying to Conceive forum just below this one for more advice.

Cheers, sorry about clogging up this one then :)

Advertisement