Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have never been so ashamed to be Irish

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,242 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Funny how many of the users in this thread would've been banned for what they've said to the OP if he was one of the popular members of AH.

Edit: Ikky, here you go:

Germany: Personalausweis (German Wikipedia): It is compulsory for all German citizens age 16 or older to possess either a "Personalausweis" (identity card) or a passport, but not to carry it. While police officers and some other officials have a right to demand to see one of those documents, the law does not state that one is obliged to submit the document at that very moment. Fines may only be applied if an identity card or passport is not possessed at all, if the document is expired or if one explicitly refuses to show ID to the police. If one is unable to produce an ID card or passport (or any other form of credible identification) during a police control, one can (in theory) be brought to the next police post and detained for max. 12 hours, or until positive identification is possible. However, this measure is only applied if the police have reasonable grounds to believe the person detained has committed an offense.

There may have been a misunderstanding. Intially, you posted:
    He forgot to say that they're required to carry ID in Germany
    by which, I assumed you meant have it on your person at all times. The law states "not to carry it".

Certainly I don't, and am pretty sure no one else does (unless driving).

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

Hazys wrote: »
    45 mins on the street looking a garda no matter if you think my crusade was worth it or not, is a disgrace.
    Hang on O.P.
    You spent 45 minutes walking aound looking for a Guard to complain about a club you had just left:confused: and then...

you stood at a bus stop eating chips watching a girl getting a slap without even ringing the cops? :eek:

Genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

deadwood wrote: »
    Hang on O.P.
    You spent 45 minutes walking aound looking for a Guard to complain about a club you had just left:confused: and then...

you stood at a bus stop eating chips watching a girl getting a slap without even ringing the cops? :eek:

Genius.

Legend of a post... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

There aren't enough gardai - this is not the fault of the gardai themselves as for the most part ,they're hard working people that are over stretched. We need to be looking to our government and asking "Hey! Where is our first world police service?"
    dSTAR wrote: »
    Things like fuses blowing and not having a replacement can't be helped.

They can. Before moving to a more up to date system at home here, we kept spare fuses. It's not that difficult! Proper management would have allowed for the fact that hmmm, maybe a fuse could blow! (wow shock horror, imagine that happening!) That place is obviously badly managed, were it properly managed the bar would have stopped serving until the fuse was restored. Oh and, it doesn't matter if this spoils the craic if it saves a life! (Which is what it comes down to)

I'd also like to highlight that the reaction to this thread just proves the OPs point even further. Irish people are willing to lay down, fork out extortionate amounts of money and accept awful service. Having travelled extensively, I can GUARANTEE you that the level of customer service is waaaaaaaaay below par here.

Why shouldn't the OP be ashamed that, despite so many years of economic boom, the consumer is treated like **** and there's no decent public service in place? I'm ashamed of it. I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm ashamed to be Irish as I think Irish people have a lot of good going for us but, as a nation, we're addicted to alcohol at all costs.

If I'm going out I will pay the entrance fee. However, I expect certain things in return for this, such as lighting and a generally safe environment (nothing's 100% safe especially with alcohol in the mixture) with approachable staff. I'm fairly sure the OP expected this too. Good service would have been for management to refund everyone their entrance fee.

We're going into a recession now and I hope that it's the wake up call businesses need. When I go into a shop/pub/club and hand over my money, I don't want "service with a snarl" as primetime recently covered. With people being more fussy about where their money goes, hopefully public service will improve.

But then again, this is Ireland.

I'd love to be able to stay here but I'm working my way into an industry that's currently imploding (construction) so I doubt I'll be able to, at least in the immediate future. The OP is Irish and has returned home for christmas. Who here knows the OP and knows why they left to begin with? But maybe while the OP was away, they got a taste of customer service and can't understand, or accept the disappointment upon discovery of, the complete and utter lack of service here.

Telling the OP to p!ss off back to Boston is a stupid idea. Why not have an objective look at what the OP is saying (as really, it's present in every single aspect of life in Ireland at the moment) and why not question why it is so? Then maybe it'd be a better place for everyone to live.

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

I'll see your Anglo Irish Bank and raise you this

that's awesome:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Springsteen wrote (and performed (and made famous)) the song Dancing in the Dark!!!

He's American

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

This thread just wasted the last 45 minutes of my life. If I turn off the lights, does that mean I can get my minutes back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Lights go out in the pub, so the OP sits there for an hour then complains to a bouncer and a Garda.......

Anyone else? Did you tell a priest about it? Librarian?

What utter tosh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

When a guy from the "non drinkers group" tells you your behaviour in a nightclub is utter tosh, take note.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

lol... I'm just the mod, don't worry, I enjoy the odd glass of brandy ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Proper management would have allowed for the fact that hmmm, maybe a fuse could blow! (wow shock horror, imagine that happening!) That place is obviously badly managed...
    News Flash

Management fails to have supply of fuses causing black out in popular city night spot

Its a bit of a stretch to say the place is poorly managed when there could have been any number of reasons why it occurred. I would venture to say it was more of a simple oversight at most. The point is that the punters seemed to enjoying themselves and the lack of lighting probably added to the overall ambiance.

Hardly worth getting your knickers in a twist and whingeing about how bad Ireland has become or how the level of service compared to other countries is appalling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

In America you can't drink legally til you're over 21.
    But you can own gun when you're 18.And use one under supervision from any age.
    They've got a whole other bunch of problems.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Funny how many of the users in this thread would've been banned for what they've said to the OP if he was one of the popular members of AH.
    Can you provide examples of that occurring elsewhere?

Here's a tip: it's all in your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Dudess wrote: »
    Can you provide examples of that occurring elsewhere?

Here's a tip: it's all in your head.

SILENCE POPULAR MEMBER.

I was once a newbie too. I once had very few posts. I saw interaction and banter between AH regulars and between people (members and mods alike) who clearly knew each other and I wasn't included... Guess what? It didn't bother me because these things happen, they're normal, nothing personal meant.

Jeesh...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I was once a newbie too. I once had very few posts. I saw interaction and banter between AH regulars and between people (members and mods alike) who clearly knew each other and I wasn't included... Guess what? It didn't bother me because these things happen, they're normal, nothing personal meant.

Jeesh...
    I banned her last week.

It was a mistake on my part, but I still banned her.

I don't give a flying **** who you are. If you break any rules here, I will ban you.

Yep, and the message I got wasn't "I'm really sorry Dudess, I know you're here three and a half years and you've a lot of posts and you're a moderator and you're well known... but I'm going to have to ban you because you broke a rule", it was "You're banned from After Hours for a week for the following..."

Fuk's sake... will people ever let the mod/well-known member conspiracy sh1t go...?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Maybe but we dont run the risk of being shot by trigger happy police or our fellow countrymen. Why because we can go on the piss and if worse comes to worse have a lil scrap, Not go off home for a handgun

those days are unfortuntely coming to an end - be it gun or knife

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Fuk's sake... will people ever let the mod/well-known member conspiracy sh1t go...?

Never!

Help us Run_to_da_hills, you're our only hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭carlowguy32

im just wondering did the music go in the night club aswell, then there would have been a reason to get ur money back but if the drink is flowing and there was music then I dont see a problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Yep, and the message I got wasn't "I'm really sorry Dudess, I know you're here three and a half years and you've a lot of posts and you're a moderator and you're well known... but I'm going to have to ban you because you broke a rule", it was "You're banned from After Hours for a week for the following..."

Spammer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Jumpy wrote: »
    SILENCE POPULAR MEMBER.

It's only because I added her as a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

This thread has run its course.

Nothing more to see here. Lights out.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

oh no the lights went off in a bar, how utterly terrible, I'm just glad you somehow survived.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Tefral

Reading the OP's post remined me of the tommy tiernan sketch on the pub fire alarm

see here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTdvJGsZFxM&feature=related

mayordenis wrote: »
    oh no the lights went off in a bar, how utterly terrible, I'm just glad you somehow survived.
    My mate was there too. The air conditioning also went, and the place, which is already like an oven, was supposed to be difficult for even breathing. They pack people in there until you can't move, and going to the bar is something you may as well forget about. A fire - all but those by the door would be seriously fukked.
    I've been there once - for a hen night. It was unbearable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Hazys wrote: »
    I have never been ashamed to be irish in my life. I just arrived back for Boston this morning for christmass. I used to laugh at the americans for being so pedantic when it came to service in bars etc My attitude was look at those egijjts, just get over it and have a good time.

But i have never been left feeling so angry after a night out. I went out to Havanna Browns in Cork this evening with my buddies which i havent seen in months. But the lights went out in the club. Half the club was pitch dark. I was sitting there in the dark enjoying my pint talking to my friend with only the light off my phone aluminating the area around us. Lights were out still after an hour but the bar was still serving...what a f*cking joke. Nobody seemed to care that this was seriously dangerous, my buddies were still drinking away having the time of their lives.

After an hour of pitch dark i went up to the bouncer to ask why they hadnt cleared people out of the pitch dark areas because if any1 fell the club would be extremely liable. The bouncer made a joke about how the club was trying to reduce its carbon footprint (Im pretty sure this joke would still be that funny if the place had been Stardust2). I was shocked at his response. The club didnt give a sh1t as long as it was making money and the customers didnt give a sh1t as long we were getting served. Are we that dependent on alcohol that we dont care if our safety is being threaten in the persuit of getting hammered?

I got pissed of and went downstairs to demand a refund, i got my 15 euro back(the most expensive night club in boston is $15). So i went to find a Garda to complain about it. It took me 45 mins to find a Garda on the streets of Cork city on one of the busiest drinking nights of the year. I found two Gardai outside the coal quay on their way to the bridewell station, explained the situation to them, they said they'd get on it right away after they went into the station to fill out some paperwork. W*nkers completely blew me off, didnt give a sh1t. Whats amazing is last year my best friend's brother, a 1st class primary school teacher was jumped from behind on MacCurtain street and beaten within an inch of his life 3 days before christmass. The only thing that saved him was his girlfriend screaming as the scumbag jumped on his head. On MacCurtain street not a garda in sight!!!! The Gardai are dicks.

After the Gardai blew me off I went to Hillbillies to get food. Got my food, crossed the road to eat it in a bus stop. As i was eating, outside hillbillies a fight broke out. What i could see from across the road was a guy's girlfriend trying to stop him from fighting, ending up ur1 getting slapped to the ground by her boyfriend for getting in the way. Eventually friends stopped the fight and ur1 and the boyfriend hopped in to a taxi together! Again not a Garda in sight

Im not trying to come across as holyier than thou, as i like to go on the piss just like every1 else. I normally wouldnt even complain about service in a restaurant or a bar but what i witnessed in Havannas was a disgrace. I was talking about how it was a disgrace to my friends, they were agreeing but really didnt care as long as they had a pint in their hands, just like every1 else in the club. At least i know in Boston this wouldnt happen as their is generally a police pressence in most clubs every odd week and also americans wouldnt stand for it. But are we so reliant on getting hammered that we dont give a sh1t about anything else? Are the same people who complain about getting ripped off in Ireland sitting in a pitch dark night club paying for drinks and admission that are way more expensive than the top notch nightclubs in Boston and other cities?
    Maybe the reason why there were no gardai on the streets when that girl was getting slapped by her boyfriend, is because they were in the station writing up a report about an illumination problem in a pub nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

Sure weren't they only havin' the craic tooraloora loo :rolleyes:. I agree with the OP. This country is a joke. I blame the Brits for stopping the spread of the Nazis. I'd much rather be speaking German and living in an efficient country.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

My mate was there too. The air conditioning also went, and the place, which is already like an oven, was supposed to be difficult for even breathing. They pack people in there until you can't move, and going to the bar is something you may as well forget about. A fire - all but those by the door would be seriously fukked.
    I've been there once - for a hen night. It was unbearable.

sounds really bad seriously maybe next time - don't go.

• Advertisement

I don't. I went once cuz I felt obliged to.

Advertisement