Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have never been so ashamed to be Irish

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,083 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Feelgood wrote: »
    I saw a video recently called 'Banned in America' where an American man who was dying of Aids killed himself on national TV because he couldn't get health care in the US because he couldn't afford health insurance.

He stopped in the middle of a freeway in protest and set off a petrol bomb inside his truck with his dog to kill himself. When the petrol bomb went off, he jumped out of the truck in flames and rolled around and the flames went out.

Obviously still alive he then tried to jump of the freeway bridge but couldn't go through with it, so he ran to the back of his truck and took out an M16 and blew his head off.

This was broadcasted live on tv for 25 minutes and there wasn't a cop in sight, all because he couldn't get health care.

Being ashamed of being Irish is one thing, but then trying to make out that we are worse than Americans?. Are you for real?.

Because that kind of arrogance won't bite your ass down the road.

Pointing to another group of people and saying youre better than them only goes to show how unprepared you still are. When theres another tragic death smeared across the irish papers ill be there to say i told you so.

Its that whole We Dont Give a **** attitude that the OP is talking about thats going to end up with someone hurt. The bouncers going to be turned away when some girl is raped in an unlit corner. The "This isnt America" argument wont save her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Hazys wrote: »
    At least i know in Boston this wouldnt happen as their is generally a police pressence in most clubs every odd week
    Maybe but we dont run the risk of being shot by trigger happy police or our fellow countrymen. Why because we can go on the piss and if worse comes to worse have a lil scrap, Not go off home for a handgun

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I <3 GuanYin wrote: »
    You were in Cork. There's your problem.

hahaha.......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Maybe but we dont run the risk of being shot by trigger happy police or our fellow countrymen. Why because we can go on the piss and if worse comes to worse have a lil scrap, Not go off home for a handgun
    Do you honestly need sense pistol-whipped into you :confused:

my god man, wake up to your fúcking reality, please. More to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Overheal wrote: »
    Pointing to another group of people and saying youre better than them only goes to show how unprepared you still are.

Im not saying that we are better than any other group of people at all, but we definitely aren't worse!.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

It took me 45 mins to find a Garda on the streets of Cork city on one of the busiest drinking nights of the year. I found two Gardai outside the coal quay on their way to the bridewell station, explained the situation to them, they said they'd get on it right away after they went into the station to fill out some paperwork. W*nkers completely blew me off,

After the Gardai blew me off I went to Hillbillies to get food. ?

So tell me, do police officers in Boston not offer free blow jobs to returning exiles?.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

sounds nice - any cheap hostels in cork at this time of year ?
    bet NYE will be great !

Feelgood wrote: »
    Im not saying that we are better than any other group of people at all, but we definitely aren't worse!.
    we are worse than Americans?. Are you for real?.

I dont know how I might have gotten confused there. Really.

the old mid-thirties takin their toll OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

The club didnt give a sh1t as long as it was making money and the customers didnt give a sh1t as long we were getting served.

Exactly. Win Win all round tbh:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Pff.

West Brit.

Seriously though, sitting around drinking in the dark is pretty Barney Gumble tragic. I kind of think we like to live down to stereotype sometimes.

erm, the OP's from cork, well, thats where they were drinking

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

No lights in a public place is an extremely dangerous fire hazard.

Doubt it very much. Health & safety world is the last refuge of the absolute idiot imo. It's that little place people go to when they want to win an argument, "Oh, health & safety this and health and safety that and you are in extreme danger and watch out you are at extreme f*cking risk, look you're on fire! Who is going to pay, who will we sue??? Are we insured, can I claim??? Get Joe Duffy on the phone, someone call, f*CK, HELP, HELP, I've nobody to sue, call the Gardai, I want to make a written statement, I'm goona f*CKIN SUE YOU AND YOUR MONKEY"......................................................................................................

"F*CK OFF"!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Dont be lobbing the rest of the nation in with your talk about Cork ya langer! The rest of us are ashamed of Cork!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

if thats the extent of your problems then you're doing alright.

frankly, if you're ashamed to be irish because of a blackout and not enough coppers on the street then we can do without you.

tell them we said hello when you go back to boston

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I have never been ashamed to be irish in my life. ...bla...blaa

Have you ever considered maybe then, actually staying in Ireland and making a difference then?

If you feel that strongly about things, why jump ship and go elsewhere. only to return here and just moan!
    Sure there are other moaners here, but at least they are staying here, paying their taxes and some even standing up and trying to make a difference.

O' and before you complain about the €15 admission charge, I remind you of the fact that you went and paid it - no one forced the money from you. You actually walked up to the counter and handed over your money. Jeeze!
    ...and you have the nerve to come back and moan about it after you have entered and left the said building! For frak's sake!

Did it ever cross your mind that when it comes to Gardi that they actually recognised a muppet when they see one coming?
    When they are on duty, they are buried in paperwork because the yobs of this state and their actions, can't afford to run off to the likes of Boston! When they are not paper filing for the courts, they are elsewhere dealing with other muppets around your locality!

Did you even think of complaining to the right people in the first place.
    If you felt that strongly about the lights out situation, did it cross your mind to actually contact the RIGHT people, ie; the local fire station.
    They are the ones that deal with the health and safety of crowded premises and associated risks, not some single copper on the street who would have to contact headquarters, who would then have to get onto a fire marshal at the nearest fire station anyway! Jeeze, for crying out loud!!!

O' and you complain that you witnessed a fight with a girl getting beat up.
    So you ALSO stood there and watched - now you complain that something should have been done!
    - This is just laughable. You really helped her out didn't you by standing there!

To sum up;
    Some of us might be stuck on this small island, some of us might indeed be saddened to be unable to help when such things happen around us, but we stay here and moan, making a difference in our own way even if its just paying tax and vat!
    Are we ashamed to be Irish? No.
    Are we saddened that clearly some moaning idiotic muppets are Irish? O yes.

Do us a favour, go back to Boston and stay there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭RoosterIllusion

Biggins wrote: »
    Are we ashamed to be Irish? No.
    Are we saddened that clearly some moaning idiotic muppets are Irish? O yes.

Do us a favour, go back to Boston and stay there.

+1

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

+2 Yes you had an issue, yet(and I do feel irritated by many Irish in this sense) you like so many did sweet fanny adams about it. We're a great nation for moaning and standing back. You would swear we are addicted to moaning.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

+3

You went to Havanas and expected to have a good night?

Simple advice - Either stay away from the Knack-bars or go back to Boston.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭RoosterIllusion

Regards Havana's, worth noting that all Reardans establishments seem to provide their own security. Their security are, in my experience, unprofessional assholes. I have never seen bouncers in Cork as bad as Reardans bouncers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Biggins wrote: »
    ***I've just tore the OP a new asshole***

:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

So let me get this straight - after a whole night of drinking there, you got your entrance fee back because the lights went out?

Interesting....now wheres my wire-cutters..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭BravoSierra

While I can't disagree with the OT states about the 'bluebottles' I do however think the 'lights out' issue isn't as bad as you make out.

That sounds like a very American expectation of service. We're a simple folk. I'm sure if you had your way everyone would have been refunded and the place shut down.

What you don't get is that Irish folk are quite content so long as the taps are flowing irrespective of lighting or lack of.

The publican done nothing more than adhere to OUR expectation of service rather than YOURS.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

I have never been ashamed to be irish in my life. I just arrived back for Boston this morning for christmass. I used to laugh at the americans for being so pedantic when it came to service in bars etc My attitude was look at those egijjts, just get over it and have a good time.

But i have never been left feeling so angry after a night out. I went out to Havanna Browns in Cork this evening with my buddies which i havent seen in months. But the lights went out in the club. Half the club was pitch dark. I was sitting there in the dark enjoying my pint talking to my friend with only the light off my phone aluminating the area around us. Lights were out still after an hour but the bar was still serving...what a f*cking joke. Nobody seemed to care that this was seriously dangerous, my buddies were still drinking away having the time of their lives.

After an hour of pitch dark i went up to the bouncer to ask why they hadnt cleared people out of the pitch dark areas because if any1 fell the club would be extremely liable. The bouncer made a joke about how the club was trying to reduce its carbon footprint (Im pretty sure this joke would still be that funny if the place had been Stardust2). I was shocked at his response. The club didnt give a sh1t as long as it was making money and the customers didnt give a sh1t as long we were getting served. Are we that dependent on alcohol that we dont care if our safety is being threaten in the persuit of getting hammered?

I got pissed of and went downstairs to demand a refund, i got my 15 euro back(the most expensive night club in boston is $15). So i went to find a Garda to complain about it. It took me 45 mins to find a Garda on the streets of Cork city on one of the busiest drinking nights of the year. I found two Gardai outside the coal quay on their way to the bridewell station, explained the situation to them, they said they'd get on it right away after they went into the station to fill out some paperwork. W*nkers completely blew me off, didnt give a sh1t. Whats amazing is last year my best friend's brother, a 1st class primary school teacher was jumped from behind on MacCurtain street and beaten within an inch of his life 3 days before christmass. The only thing that saved him was his girlfriend screaming as the scumbag jumped on his head. On MacCurtain street not a garda in sight!!!! The Gardai are dicks.

After the Gardai blew me off I went to Hillbillies to get food. Got my food, crossed the road to eat it in a bus stop. As i was eating, outside hillbillies a fight broke out. What i could see from across the road was a guy's girlfriend trying to stop him from fighting, ending up ur1 getting slapped to the ground by her boyfriend for getting in the way. Eventually friends stopped the fight and ur1 and the boyfriend hopped in to a taxi together! Again not a Garda in sight

Im not trying to come across as holyier than thou, as i like to go on the piss just like every1 else. I normally wouldnt even complain about service in a restaurant or a bar but what i witnessed in Havannas was a disgrace. I was talking about how it was a disgrace to my friends, they were agreeing but really didnt care as long as they had a pint in their hands, just like every1 else in the club. At least i know in Boston this wouldnt happen as their is generally a police pressence in most clubs every odd week and also americans wouldnt stand for it. But are we so reliant on getting hammered that we dont give a sh1t about anything else? Are the same people who complain about getting ripped off in Ireland sitting in a pitch dark night club paying for drinks and admission that are way more expensive than the top notch nightclubs in Boston and other cities?
    Havana Browns is a ****hole so that dosent surprise me.Mccurtan street is right dodgy after dark ,me and a friend got jumped by a gang of scumbags there a few years ago and there wasent a guard in sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

"The Northeast Blackout of 2003 was a massive widespread power outage that occurred throughout parts of the Northeastern and Midwestern United States, and Ontario, Canada on Thursday, August 14, 2003, at approximately 4:15 pm EDT (20:15 UTC), with virtually full restoration by the following day. At the time, it was the most widespread electrical blackout in history.[1][2] The blackout affected an estimated 10 million people in the Canadian province of Ontario and 40 million people in eight U.S. states."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_North_America_blackout

Yes it happens in the land of the free also.

darkdubh wrote: »
    Havana Browns is a ****hole so that dosent surprise me.Mccurtan street is right dodgy after dark ,me and a friend got jumped by a gang of scumbags there a few years ago and there wasent a guard in sight.

They're great for condemning you but thats about it. Then again I've only ever had issues with the city police rather than those of the suburbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Four-Too wrote: »
    . Drunks don't deserve and more to the point don't GET any better treatment than what they got there. Sober people have more integrity and are respected more.

Yep. Just look how it worked for the Middle East, for instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

MarkR wrote: »
    Lighten up man, it's Christmas. Big up the J.C. :D
    Thanks!

*High 5

• Registered Users Posts: 45,374 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I have never been ashamed to be irish in my life. I just arrived back for Boston this morning for christmass. I used to laugh at the americans for being so pedantic when it came to service in bars etc My attitude was look at those egijjts, just get over it and have a good time.

Says the bit in bold then moans about having a drink in the dark...

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Thanks!

*High 5

Dont you mean *JC High 5!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Overheal wrote: »
    Do you honestly need sense pistol-whipped into you :confused:

my god man, wake up to your fúcking reality, please. More to follow.

Overheal in overreaction to comment on America shocker!!!!

Get a grip for christ sake, this is why I tend to ignore your posts. So quick to froth at the mouth if anyone dares comment on some horrible thing that happened in America.

Nobody here is saying that Ireland is a wonderful place where nothing bad ever happens. The OP made many comparisons to Boston as if it's a wonderful place where nothing bad happens. It has merely been pointed out to him that not only is that not the case, but there are also a lot worse things happening everywhere that should be complained about....not the lights going off or the police having a lack of psychic abilities.

You're posting a link to something awful that happened here....more to follow? We could easily go down the road of posting links to bad things that happened both here and in the US. Based on sheer population size alone, you won't win. Fortunately for you (we wouldn't want you to burst a vein now would we) nobody here is actually interested in that kind of debate. So why don't you stop being a hypocrite and unbunch those knickers before you do yourself an injury.

Advertisement