Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores Closing in Sligo **mod warning post #720**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭prodsc

Mint Sauce wrote: »

The Peri Chicken Shop on Mail Coach road has had all its signage removed, and the whole shop front barr the windows painted brown.

Ali's kebab shop opening soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

prodsc wrote: »
    Ali's kebab shop opening soon.

I wonder is that the same person as 'Ali's Car Wash' at West Gardens?

Wallis is closing in July. The lady at the counter told me on Saturday when I went in to buy a gift-card. They are open nearly 17 years apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭johnire

Pull and Bear are closing very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

The euro shop on O'Connell st has taken its last delivery and will only be selling off existing stock

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

The euro shop on O'Connell st has taken its last delivery and will only be selling off existing stock

Holy sh1t! Really...What's the story? Do these shops sell cheap rubbish and people have now realised and have stopped buying (OK sure some lines are probably better than others?). Or is it competition from other bargain shops? eg: the one in Johnston Court, which always seems busy. Or, in the case of the O'Connell Street shop has the location done for it? I've been in there a few times and it all looks cheap tat. I would even be dubious buying a bar of chocolate or can of coke from such places.

Is the one in Quay Street shopping centre still open?

Or is the absolute nadir of the recession? No one has a euro to spare?

Ah no! One of very few places in the town centre that sold bottles of Volvic and at €0.50 they were a bargain. I love Volvic water. Tesco only sell the lemon and lime version in single bottles. Shame...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Slideways

Ah no! One of very few places in the town centre that sold bottles of Volvic and at €0.50 they were a bargain. I love Volvic water. Tesco only sell the lemon and lime version in single bottles. Shame...

There is a podcast by the BBC called food that makes billions. You should definitely listen to part 1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Wallis is closing in July. The lady at the counter told me on Saturday when I went in to buy a gift-card. They are open nearly 17 years apparently.

The whole Wallis chain didn't age very well unfortunately. Very dated interior/style of clothes, they didn't transition to online retail well either. Such a shame to see them go though.

Another 2 empty units on O'Connell St now, this is getting beyond ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

I wouldn't say the Chamber are batting an eye lid to be honest. Don't they all own their own premises?

You'd have to pay businesses to set up in Sligo town these days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

grim reading here, doesn't appear to be the population to support quayside, johnsons court and the rest of the town. what's being done to bring in tourist trade, even from the regions? crappy parking offer from 10-12, complete joke. does any of the elected officials even care, yeah right, all prepping to save their own bacon again in the local elections. ask them about this on the doorstep. might be the only time they listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

promethius wrote: »
    grim reading here, doesn't appear to be the population to support quayside, johnsons court and the rest of the town. what's being done to bring in tourist trade, even from the regions? crappy parking offer from 10-12, complete joke. does any of the elected officials even care, yeah right, all prepping to save their own bacon again in the local elections. ask them about this on the doorstep. might be the only time they listen.

Don't know if you've had a read through the thread below, might be worth adding it there.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057163964

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

Well I was Donegal town over the weekend it's only 30 cent and hour to park compared to four times that in sligo,go to carick on Shannon and you can go to tesco woodies etc and park for free.
    And this thing of paying for parking on a Sunday a joke.

Politicians listen with one uninterested eye on you, and the other eye frantically searching for the next vote. The only time the eyes work in unison is when facing a pressure group.

Blackrock drapery store on Harmony Hill is closing today.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

Blackrock drapery store on Harmony Hill is closing today.

Awful sad

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

sligono1 wrote: »
    Well I was Donegal town over the weekend it's only 30 cent and hour to park compared to four times that in sligo,go to carick on Shannon and you can go to tesco woodies etc and park for free.
    And this thing of paying for parking on a Sunday a joke.

Ended up getting a €40 parking ticket one Sunday morning as I assumed there was free parking like most other places! To be fair it was my own fault for not checking!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Mugatuu wrote: »
    Ended up getting a €40 parking ticket one Sunday morning as I assumed there was free parking like most other places! To be fair it was my own fault for not checking!

Have seen a few caught out by that. Previously during the Streets of Sligo 5k. Loads of extra people in town, using the carparks thinking ah its Sunday, and Wardens out as soon as paid parking starts.

Its not really inviting people into town.

Managed to talk myself out of a ticket one Sunday for the same reason, if it was advertised when it was brought in I most certainly missed it.

I've heard rumours River Island was closing, it might just be a rumour but rumours like these sure aren't helping with confidence in opening businesses in Sligo town, it's disappointing to walk around town and see so many empty units, not to mention walking into shops and seeing them without any customers, there must be many places to work in town that are completely boring to be in for 8 hours a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

Heard a few people say pull and bear is meant to be closing down, the place is always empty when ever I've been in!

• Advertisement

Heard a few people say pull and bear is meant to be closing down, the place is always empty when ever I've been in!

Pull & Bear closed down last Sunday.

rizzodun wrote: »
    Managed to talk myself out of a ticket one Sunday for the same reason, if it was advertised when it was brought in I most certainly missed it.

I've heard rumours River Island was closing, it might just be a rumour but rumours like these sure aren't helping with confidence in opening businesses in Sligo town, it's disappointing to walk around town and see so many empty units, not to mention walking into shops and seeing them without any customers, there must be many places to work in town that are completely boring to be in for 8 hours a day.

Really hoping River Island is a rumour, I've heard it a couple of times as well but then again it only takes one person to start it.

I do like River Island I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Have seen a few caught out by that. Previously during the Streets of Sligo 5k. Loads of extra people in town, using the carparks thinking ah its Sunday, and Wardens out as soon as paid parking starts.

Its not really inviting people into town.

I have thisarguement with the wife every Sunday we go to town, she never believes me about Sunday parking, even though she got a ticket about a year ago and needs to be reminded before she accepts it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

bennyc wrote: »
    I have thisarguement with the wife every Sunday we go to town, she never believes me about Sunday parking, even though she got a ticket about a year ago and needs to be reminded before she accepts it.

I always forget if its 12 or 12.30. Went down one sunday to do the shoping, just after 12, thinking I had time to fly in and out before 12.30, and there was the warden, booking cars that had probably not been picked up from saturday night.

Check the sign, paid parking from 12.

:(

I always forget if its 12 or 12.30. Went down one sunday to do the shoping, just after 12, thinking I had time to fly in and out before 12.30, and there was the warden, booking cars that had probably not been picked up from saturday night.

Check the sign, paid parking from 12.

:(

Another thing that's annoying, people drive in and leave their cars as they've had a few drinks, take a taxi like sensible people, get punished by the wardens for waiting to make sure they're under the limit. I'd say more people would do it of a Saturday night than a Friday as they think they won't get a ticket before collecting it the Sunday morning. If I was on a night out I'd stay off the road until well after 12 to make sure I was under the limit the next day.

rizzodun wrote: »
    Another thing that's annoying, people drive in and leave their cars as they've had a few drinks, take a taxi like sensible people, get punished by the wardens for waiting to make sure they're under the limit. I'd say more people would do it of a Saturday night than a Friday as they think they won't get a ticket before collecting it the Sunday morning. If I was on a night out I'd stay off the road until well after 12 to make sure I was under the limit the next day.

Get "punished" by the Wardens? Surely you can't be serious? If in doubt about still being over the limit, buy another parking ticket and go shopping or whatever.

Is this really a common scenario anyway? I'd get a taxi both in and out.

Kettleson wrote: »
    Get "punished" by the Wardens? Surely you can't be serious? If in doubt about still being over the limit, buy another parking ticket and go shopping or whatever.

Is this really a common scenario anyway? I'd get a taxi both in and out.

Ah punished might have been dropped in for 'dramatic effect', but I know of plenty who would drive in on a night out, beats relying on a cab if you're planning to meet up with a group, or have a table booked. But I really don't see the point in charging people to park in town on a Sunday, it's dead enough as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭sailorfoley

Folks, what's the general consensus as to why shops are closing? Is it a shrinking population? Unemployment? Prices too high? Something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Folks, what's the general consensus as to why shops are closing? Is it a shrinking population? Unemployment? Prices too high? Something else?

Rates and Rents are too high I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭sailorfoley

I've never understood why landlords don't bring down the rent and that rates get adjusted accordingly. Surely it's more beneficial to have a functioning business rather than an empty premises?

Advertisement