Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Acne Advice Thread

• 08-12-2008 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

This thread is for all acne related advice and queries. I'm going to copy a few relevant posts from the "So, Clearasil..." thread in here.

Advice and questions on non-prescription acne treatments for mild to moderate acne are allowed. It is to be assumed that the best course of action for more severe forms of acne is to go to one's GP. While you may comment on prescription acne treatments you have used, questioning or contradicting the judgement of posters' GPs is not allowed as this constitutes medical advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Yeah Clearasil's pretty lame. I like gentle cleansers like nivea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭deleriumtremens

That stuff just doesnt work. It simply strips any oil off your face in a way nature never intended and so your sebaceous glands (in an effort to restore homeostasis) secrete more oil than they otherwise would. So while you might feel like your skin is nice and fresh after using clearisil, the reality is that in the long run you re exacerbating the problem.

Go to the doctor and get some benzoyl peroxide cream or antibiotics. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭ Lance Rough Bedpan

That stuff just doesnt work. It simply strips any oil off your face in a way nature never intended and so your sebaceous glands (in an effort to restore homeostasis) secrete more oil than they otherwise would. So while you might feel like your skin is nice and fresh after using clearisil, the reality is that in the long run you re exacerbating the problem.

One's hardly more in keeping with nature's plan than the other surely? Get yerself some nivea intensive moisturising cream. The answer to all problems ever.

Or go on the pill :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭deleriumtremens

One's hardly more in keeping with nature's plan than the other surely? Get yerself some nivea intensive moisturising cream. The answer to all problems ever.

Or go on the pill :cool:

Neither is penicillen or vaccinations! But still, it seems that true medical treatments for acne, unlike clearisil, are supported by evidence from clinical trials. Also, they worked for me whereas clearisil didnt do a thing! Hate them!!!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭ Lance Rough Bedpan

Neither is penicillen or vaccinations! But still, it seems that true medical treatments for acne, unlike clearisil, are supported by evidence from clinical trials. Also, they worked for me whereas clearisil didnt do a thing! Hate them!!!:p

Oh yeah fair enough, but antibiotics seem a bit extreme for cosmetic use. Spose it depends how bad it is though. I only used clearasil once in my life, thought my face was going to fall off :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Clearasil is a type of benzoyl peroxide cream AFAIK.... And benzoyl peroxide is responsible for the drying/stripping oil off of skin

If you're looking for a non-prescription treatment for light acne, Sudocream is the way to go IMO. I think it's about 1-2% benzoyl peroxide, and if you apply a load to the affected areas at night I find it works wonders. Not so sure how effective it'd be against heavier acne. I never tried it back when I had it bad. 5% benzoyl peroxide cream worked all right but left my skin feeling horrible and azelaic acid (I think that's what it was) worked ok, but was very irritating to my face (It works by burning off a very thin layer of skin when applied and thus preventing pores being blocked AFAIK). I can't really say how antibiotics worked, but I was on them for ages, and I don't have bad acne now, so perhaps they did something....

ro-accutane for the win.. one of the best drugs i've ever taken.

and if anyone actually has acne, look it up.. it's a really harsh drug with lots of side-effects and you need blood tests before use but it's the only proven thing to get rid of acne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Yeah Ro-Accutane is suppose to work wonders on really heavy acne,but it has some bad side effects like really dry lips and cause dandruff badly,not to mention suicidal thoughts :eek: hence prescribed to severe cases.

For moderate acne, I suggest using Panoxyl 5 (Benzoyl Peroxide 5%),at night,then using e45 in the morning and afternoon if skin still feels dry.Works pretty well,that my regime at the moment,just my two cents

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

When I was about 16-17, I used to have to use things like Clearasil (never used that one in particular, usually the Clean & Clear face washes) because I had really oily skin.

I discovered the hard way at 23 that skin changes over time... after using a Boots face wash for oily skin my skin was red for 3 days because it dried my skin out so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

I have moderate acne just on the face and the best thing for it is to get your doctor to perscribe Zineryt!! Give it around 3 days, and most of it is gone!!:) it doesnt dry your skin or anything like that. Unfortuneately if you stop using it even for only two days the damm things pop up again:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

There's theis fantastic stuff, I think you get it in Boots.

The brand is St. Ive's. Its like this mango/peach deep scrub cleanser. Its a sort of paste, but its got these little gritty bits in it so it really gets into the pores and scrapes of the dead skin. Fantastic stuff, a noticible dfferencei n a afew days for me.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Clearasil is horrible stuff, it feels like it is taking a layer of skin off your face!!

I use a Lush cleanser called Ultra Bland which is amazing, but the best regular cleanser brand you can buy in supermarkets is Neutrogena

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Loxosceles

This is an on-topic post specifically regarding clearasil and hormones.

I have discovered that for women, ie me, applying and massaging in one capsule of Evening Primrose Oil topically to the face in the evening, seems to do extremely well as a blocker to hormonal acne on the chin, cheek and neck area, as well as taking the other recommended daily capsule internally, for approx 2 weeks out of the month pre- and during- lunar cycle.

This is very good news as Clearasil on me would dry out the skin that does not need acne treatment and assist in irritating sensitive areas.

Look, I'm on-topic!

k that is all. tks.

lox

[Moved to existing topic -JC]

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

JC 2K3 wrote: »

If you're looking for a non-prescription treatment for light acne, Sudocream is the way to go IMO. I think it's about 1-2% benzoyl peroxide, and if you apply a load to the affected areas at night I find it works wonders. Not so sure how effective it'd be against heavier acne. I never tried it back when I had it bad. 5% benzoyl peroxide cream worked all right but left my skin feeling horrible and azelaic acid (I think that's what it was) worked ok, but was very irritating to my face (It works by burning off a very thin layer of skin when applied and thus preventing pores being blocked AFAIK). I can't really say how antibiotics worked, but I was on them for ages, and I don't have bad acne now, so perhaps they did something....

Works wonders, lasts for freakin ages too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

Used Clearasil for ages, didn't do anything, went to my GP and she put me on something called By-Mycin. Only been using it about 2 or 3 weeks now and already my acne is getting alot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

I've been on some medication for acne for about two years now. If I don't use it for about a week my acne acts up again. Bit of a pain really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

Kersmash wrote: »
    Used Clearasil for ages, didn't do anything, went to my GP and she put me on something called By-Mycin. Only been using it about 2 or 3 weeks now and already my acne is getting alot better.
    that stuff isnt really a good idea, its an antibiotic as far as i know. that means you can start to build up a resistance and thats not a good thing when a doctor want you to take them for an illness.

just passing on my thoughts, peace. :)

Teutorix, as medical advice is not allowed on Boards.ie it is to be assumed that anything prescribed by a GP is the best course of action.

I apologise, I should have made this clear when I created the topic. Advice and questions on non-prescription acne treatments for mild to moderate acne are allowed. While you may comment on prescription acne treatments you have used, questioning or contradicting the judgement of posters' GPs is not allowed. From now on, warnings will be given out to any who break this rule.

Teutorix wrote: »
    that stuff isnt really a good idea, its an antibiotic as far as i know. that means you can start to build up a resistance and thats not a good thing when a doctor want you to take them for an illness.

just passing on my thoughts, peace. :)

Now I know the existance of MRSA is proof of this, but are you basing this of something you have seen beyond LC Biology? Or are you just Búll****ting?

Fad, while your questions are valid and show why posts like Teutorix's can't be allowed on here, such a discussion is off topic. Any further posts relating to this will be deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

I just wash my face with water and scrub it in the shower with that St. Ive's stuff, anything else makes me break out.

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Fad, while your questions are valid and show why posts like Teutorix's can't be allowed on here, such a discussion is off topic. Any further posts relating to this will be deleted.

Sorry, I know what you mean.

So anyway, wash of the face, apply sudocrem where required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

This St.Ive's sound's the snizzle,how much is it per bottle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

This takes me back but I was riddled with spots around my mouth when I was around 16.

Having read up on cause and prevention, I bought a bar of medicated soap, Dettol soap in fact, and I was completely cleared in about two days - no joke.

det73d.jpg

Now my skin became quite depended on using it in that I HAD to use this soap every day for about 6 months, but it was well worth it to get rid of the spots.

Highly, highly recommended and cheaper than these "miracle cures" too.

IanCurtis wrote: »

Now my skin became quite depended on using it in that I HAD to use this soap every day for about 6 months, but it was well worth it to get rid of the spots.

One must be careful of being dependent on the effect on a particular soap, my scalp sheds (almost literally, not too bad anymore though) if I dont wash my hair with Head and Shoulders, a certain active ingredient helps keep my head all scalpy (in a positive sense)

That medicated soap sound like it'd be something to be look into, sounds similar to something was reminiscing about recently "Buff Puff" the Clearasil of the '60s and '70s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Kersmash wrote: »

I agree with this.

If you have severe acne you need to go to the doctor, clearasil etc will not work. Also severe acne will cause deep scarring if untreated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

Learned that one the hard way myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Sudocrem has only ever made my acne worse taking into account that my acne gets pretty bad. I wouldn't recommend it if anybody's acne gets severe looking.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

IanCurtis wrote: »
    .det73d.jpg

Woah, that takes me back! My mother bought me this product almost as soon as I turned 13, out of fear more than anything else. It seemed to work pretty well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I've been on Roaccutane since June (I think) and I'm due to finish my treatment in a few days. It hasn't cured me 100% but it has made a big big improvement.
    I had tried plenty of antibiotics and even tried alternative, natural therapies before I was prescribed Roaccutane.
    I had most of the more common side-effects - dry lips, dry skin, occassional nosebleeds and tiredness. My cholesterol has also gone up. But overall I felt it was worth it.

These are just my experiences of it btw so nobody should interpret this as medical advice. If you have severe acne, make sure you visit your GP.

Advertisement