Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Acne Advice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭ciano1

I'm using baking soda at the moment, turning it into a paste. I had two spots which kinda joined forces on my forehead. I put on the paste and within two days they were gone (they were pretty much boils).

I find it works great for big spots and brings smaller ones to a head.

As for the milk thing - crap. I have milk everyday:(

Baking soda hurts like F*ck!!!
    And it makes my face bleed :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Cloudinsane

Doesn't hurt me...ya know ur only supposed to leave it on for 10 mins, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭cat&mouse

THE HERB COMFREY ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT, USE IT ALL THE TIME AS A FACE TONER & IT IS AN ASTRINGENT.IAFTER INFUSING THE HERB I APPLY IT TO THE FADCE WITH ADDED ANTI-BACTERIAL OILS. NATURAL AND GOOD FOR SKIN:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭cat&mouse

WASH FROM THE COMFREY HERB IS BRILLIANT TOO. IT IS AN ASTRINGENT AND WITH A LITTLE ANTI-BACTERIAL HERBAL OIL ADDED DOES THE TRICK PLUS CONDITIONS THE SKIN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭JordanDC

As for the milk thing - crap. I have milk everyday:(

It affects different people in different ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭corkdave

This is not a place I would normally post. My kids are about the age of the average poster in this thread. The thread title caught my eye when I was looking for something else.
    So here goes. My 17 year old used to suffer badly from acne. Last year he came on a sun holiday with us, his first in three years. Even before the holiday ended his skin had cleared up completely. I don't know if it was the constant dryness, perspiring, the heat, the sea air, or a combination of all factors. That was last July. The acne eventually came back over Christmas but he is not bothered. He plans to take another sun holiday with us this summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

corkdave wrote: »
    This is not a place I would normally post. My kids are about the age of the average poster in this thread. The thread title caught my eye when I was looking for something else.
    So here goes. My 17 year old used to suffer badly from acne. Last year he came on a sun holiday with us, his first in three years. Even before the holiday ended his skin had cleared up completely. I don't know if it was the constant dryness, perspiring, the heat, the sea air, or a combination of all factors. That was last July. The acne eventually came back over Christmas but he is not bothered. He plans to take another sun holiday with us this summer!
    I find the same with holidays in the sun, saunas do a great job too.

Teutorix wrote: »
    I find the same with holidays in the sun, saunas do a great job too.

Im in a sauna pretty much every day
    Does nothing for me :(

Might try that fish oil stuff

ciano1 wrote: »
    Im in a sauna pretty much every day
    Does nothing for me :(

Might try that fish oil stuff
    its nut oil, just to let you know. You might have allergies, can never be too careful :rolleyes:

Aye, when I was in Bacelona last year I cleared up pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Vitamin D. Generated by being in the sun, good for the skin. Eat lots of eggs.

Vitamin D. Generated by being in the sun, good for the skin. Eat lots of eggs.
    You require calcium for good conversion of vitamin D, drink up the milk kiddies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Elonex

Stop eating junk food worked a treat for me. And it makes you healthier :)

Elonex wrote: »
    Stop eating junk food worked a treat for me. And it makes you healthier :)

Tried it for a while...Did nothing for me:(
    Started eating it again :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭JordanDC

It doesn't do a whole lot for me, but as for weight loss... amazing :p

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Evil-p

Hi folks, I'm probably a bit older than most people here but i've had acne since my teen years, not very severe but enough to have left my face a bit scared and made me very self concious! Anyway after years of trying everything from benzil perozide to diffferent pills etc i've finally managed to control it!

Clinique liquid Soap for Oily Skin
    Clinique Toner Number 3 (pink stuff)
    Clinique Moisturising Gel

I know that if you are on a limited budget the Clinique stuff might seem a bit steep but the soap is about €15, the toner about €12 and the moisturiser about €40, but they all last about 4 months, and thatsusing them twice a day every day! Clearasil / Clean and Clear work out a good bit more expensive than that cos they last less time and do absolutly nothing!!!

I still get the occasional spot, but they never develop into big boils or get big and they usually disappear over night.

I don't use face masks or anything like that anymore as it caused flare ups!

I hope that helps someone, i wish someone had an idea years ago!

By the way after using various Benzyl Perozide creams for years I have way more wrickles now, particularly on my forehead, than I should have for my age (27). So if you are using them make sure to just use them on the spot and nowhere else!!!

Sigh, I've broken out fairly bad on my chin and neck, I'm pretty bleh right now and it's mainly cos of these feckin spot/boils. Grrrr, arrgggh!

Went to the doctor today

Was perscribed Minosil Tablets and duac gel...3 Month dose
    Will have to wait for results........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 hannah-j

CLEARASIL BURNS the face off me!!

i had really bad acne on my forehead for aggeesss and i ate well and drank nothing but water

then i got a pill from the doctors and i ordered (i know the tv ad is gay but it works) proactiv solutions and it worked in 2 days:eek: no joke

its the only thing i would use to clear anything up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

http://www.thesecretacnecure.com/secret/5d67jd8f56dw_The_Secret_Acne_Cure_They_Dont_Want_You_To_Know.pdf

the above seems to be a good resource on the subject - very diet based but there seems to be decent information in it as usual based around idea of hormonal imbalances etc. it's a bit onesided maybe a but interesting read nontheless

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I have suffered on and off and with acne since I was about 13... I'm now 32. I tried numerous methods over the years to include prescribed tablets in my teens, most methods failed miserably! The severity of the acne even in my teens was up and down and continued that way into my 20's - eased off somewhat later on but would always get a breakout of some description along the way with some very sore mofos also.

I discovered in the last 6 months, completely by accident, the solution for me anyway. Basically, I got sick of drinking several cups of regular tea every day and decided to try mint tea, peppermint to be precise. I started drinking about 1 cup per day and quickly moved up to about 3 per day and now I'm addicted :pac: . Anyway, I had noticed that I hadn't had a spot outbreak for a good while and it was only a few weeks ago when an uncle of mine said that he had got sunburnt on holidays and it was due to the fact of drinking a lot of mint tea - seemingly it is recommended people increase sun factor (must google this actually) if they drink a lot of mint tea.

I can only assume this is what has solved it finally for me... there is no other change in my diet and I'm pretty stressed with work at the moment which would normally trigger some bad-ass spots, but nothing has happened. Unless it's because I'm drinking less regular tea, but something has certainly happened as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Duac cream is good. It's prescription. It has 5% benzyol peroxide and and active antibiotic in it. I found it's not harsh on the skin like panoxyl is ... well for me anyways.

Also for those who have oily skin, you should try milk of magnesia as a face mask before bed. Wash your face with it, let it dry and wash off.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Have had a pretty bad spot under my hairline at the top of my neck.. it's been there for at least a year to 18 months and I'm getting sick of it.

I think because it's sitting on hair follicles that it's not getting the chance to heal.

Any tips on getting rid of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

basquille wrote: »
    Have had a pretty bad spot under my hairline at the top of my neck.. it's been there for at least a year to 18 months and I'm getting sick of it.

I think because it's sitting on hair follicles that it's not getting the chance to heal.

Any tips on getting rid of it?

Are you sure it's a spot? It could be an ingrown hair either.
    Try putting a wet warm cloth on it for a couple of mins (you'll have to re wet it again with hot water) to open up the pore & then dab some antibacterial cream on it. The doc is getting me to warm compress my face twice a day & I'm using an antibiotic cream. It really works, it'll take about 3 days to get rid of it, if its a spot.
    It could be a small cyst too, I doubt you'd be able to get rid of it without having it drained from the doc if thats the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Cheers MD.. will give the "warm water jobbie" a shot.

No problem, hope it works for you :) Try TCP or savalon :)

MoonDancer wrote: »
    No problem, hope it works for you :) Try TCP or savalon :)
    TCP is good but my spots come back angrier and redder after it.:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

www.acne.org

look at their shop. excellent stuff.works wonders

TCP is good but my spots come back angrier and redder after it.:mad:

Do you dilute it? Should be about 30% TCP & 70% water
    It might just be too harsh for your skin either. Use an anibacterial suitable for sensitive skin,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭mini mouse

Hope these few lil tips can help......

diet - avoid greasy foods, sugar etc , lots of fruit & veg & gallons of water

Vitamins & minerals- acne can be due to a hormonal imbalance , vit B is meant to be good for balancng you're hormones. also vitamin D and Zinc can be benificial too.

Skin Care- establish a good skin care routine .....Cleanse, Tone & Moisturise am & pm, then twice a week use an exfoliator and mask. Acne Skin can be very sensitive so avoid going for the harsh 'clearasil ' soloution. avoid products with alcohol as it strips the skin and try avoid mineral oils, silicone's and lanolin in products as they can congest the pores. Products containing Salycilic acid help to cleanse the pores.
    Dermalogica and Elemis are really good products.....can be a little expensive but it's wort it as they will last you alot longer than most products you can buy in the chemist etc.
    The Elemis SOS Emergency cream is really good for balancing the skin, has lavender to help heal up blemishes and Mhyrr to help stop you're skin from scarring! You can use it as a moisturiser or just as a treatment cream on the affected areas.

pillow cases - sleep on one side one night, the other side the next night and then change them .....bacteria can built up on them.

Sorry for the extra long post ....hope it's usefull tho!

Advertisement