Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, Clearasil...

• 08-12-2008 7:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭

Not that good is it? It smells weird and the ads are scary.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

The ads have some of the worst acting in the history of all ads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

The dubbing doesn't help. Congrats on being a big bad mod btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Yeah Clearasil's pretty lame. I like gentle cleansers like nivea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

It's not actually that bad if it's just the odd blemish, it's absolutely rubbish on proper acne though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Sophisticated6y

God almighty the ads are HORRENDOUS! Does a boy ever fall off his skate board and end up landing on you and kissing you? Its always happenin to me alright!

• Advertisement

The frankly ludicrous plots would be grand if it wasn't for the horribly forced laughter at the end of every ad, freaks the feck out of me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Bijoux

It BURRRNS!!!

:eek:

Oh god, I hate dubbed ads.....and all the fake cheesiness....

Someone hand me a paper bag. Ugh.
    :cool:

It makes my skin really really dry, and the cleansing pads (you know, the ones that smell like vodka?) actually stung my face!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

Piste wrote: »
    It makes my skin really really dry, and the cleansing pads (you know, the ones that smell like vodka?) actually stung my face!

Yeah it does actually make the skin feel really, really tight after you've used, like it's still on your face even though you've clearly washed it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭deleriumtremens

That stuff just doesnt work. It simply strips any oil off your face in a way nature never intended and so your sebaceous glands (in an effort to restore homeostasis) secrete more oil than they otherwise would. So while you might feel like your skin is nice and fresh after using clearisil, the reality is that in the long run you re exacerbating the problem.

Go to the doctor and get some benzoyl peroxide cream or antibiotics. :cool:

• Advertisement

Antibiotics?!

God I'm so glad I only get the odd spot.

Y'know what I really hate? Those spots that haven't fully come out yet, so they're just a sore red lump under your skin and even though you mightn't be able to see them they seem HUGE. Horrible stuff :(

That stuff just doesnt work. It simply strips any oil off your face in a way nature never intended and so your sebaceous glands (in an effort to restore homeostasis) secrete more oil than they otherwise would. So while you might feel like your skin is nice and fresh after using clearisil, the reality is that in the long run you re exacerbating the problem.

One's hardly more in keeping with nature's plan than the other surely? Get yerself some nivea intensive moisturising cream. The answer to all problems ever.

Or go on the pill :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭deleriumtremens

One's hardly more in keeping with nature's plan than the other surely? Get yerself some nivea intensive moisturising cream. The answer to all problems ever.

Or go on the pill :cool:

Neither is penicillen or vaccinations! But still, it seems that true medical treatments for acne, unlike clearisil, are supported by evidence from clinical trials. Also, they worked for me whereas clearisil didnt do a thing! Hate them!!!:p

Neither is penicillen or vaccinations! But still, it seems that true medical treatments for acne, unlike clearisil, are supported by evidence from clinical trials. Also, they worked for me whereas clearisil didnt do a thing! Hate them!!!:p

Oh yeah fair enough, but antibiotics seem a bit extreme for cosmetic use. Spose it depends how bad it is though. I only used clearasil once in my life, thought my face was going to fall off :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Clearasil is a type of benzoyl peroxide cream AFAIK.... And benzoyl peroxide is responsible for the drying/stripping oil off of skin

If you're looking for a non-prescription treatment for light acne, Sudocream is the way to go IMO. I think it's about 1-2% benzoyl peroxide, and if you apply a load to the affected areas at night I find it works wonders. Not so sure how effective it'd be against heavier acne. I never tried it back when I had it bad. 5% benzoyl peroxide cream worked all right but left my skin feeling horrible and azelaic acid (I think that's what it was) worked ok, but was very irritating to my face (It works by burning off a very thin layer of skin when applied and thus preventing pores being blocked AFAIK). I can't really say how antibiotics worked, but I was on them for ages, and I don't have bad acne now, so perhaps they did something....

Sorry about the name!:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Clearasil is terrible stuff, just drys your skin. Also their dubbed ads are ghey :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Hey folks,

Just wondering what do ye make of the Clearasil ads?

I used to have acne, and remember seeing one of their ads a few years ago and felt compelled to contact them to complain about it!

I think the one I complained about was something like a guy goes up to a girl and she rejects him because he has a spot on his nose. He goes off and uses clearasil for 10 minutes, and next scene she's blowing him. Okay not 100% accurate! But that's basically the idea they were trying to put across -- girls don't like you if you have spots, so buy our product!

Personally it didn't upset me too much, but I can see how it would upset others who were struggling with their self-esteem as a result of the acne.

Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I hate it, stupid dubbed ads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Its just simple marketing to be honest,as you said yourself its the whole 'if you have acne girls wont like you' plot,and it works in most cases,as it is targeted at young guys who get the odd spot or two and stress out,because whoever has mild/moderate acne knows it doesnt work,believe me I know :rolleyes:

ro-accutane for the win.. one of the best drugs i've ever taken.

and if anyone actually has acne, look it up.. it's a really harsh drug with lots of side-effects and you need blood tests before use but it's the only proven thing to get rid of acne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Yeah Ro-Accutane is suppose to work wonders on really heavy acne,but it has some bad side effects like really dry lips and cause dandruff badly,not to mention suicidal thoughts :eek: hence prescribed to severe cases.

For moderate acne, I suggest using Panoxyl 5 (Benzoyl Peroxide 5%),at night,then using e45 in the morning and afternoon if skin still feels dry.Works pretty well,that my regime at the moment,just my two cents

*Separate threads merged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

clearasil smells and has the same effect as bleach
    useless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Piste wrote: »

God I got one of them in my eye once, Christ that burned like a fothermucker.

Also Clearasil ads are the worst ads ever.

"Oh noes you have a single spot friend/little brother. The girls at the discotheque won't want to kiss you or boogie near you. You had better use my magical spot clearing sex appeal creating Clearasil!"

*uses on clearasil for two days*

"Oh i was beating off the ladies at the disco, they all wanted to rub my uber-greasy skin while i was sitting under the strobe lights. I am TEH MAN. Thank you Clearasil." *cheesy laugh*

Dave! wrote: »
    Hey folks,

Just wondering what do ye make of the Clearasil ads?

I used to have acne, and remember seeing one of their ads a few years ago and felt compelled to contact them to complain about it!

I think the one I complained about was something like a guy goes up to a girl and she rejects him because he has a spot on his nose. He goes off and uses clearasil for 10 minutes, and next scene she's blowing him. Okay not 100% accurate! But that's basically the idea they were trying to put across -- girls don't like you if you have spots, so buy our product!

Personally it didn't upset me too much, but I can see how it would upset others who were struggling with their self-esteem as a result of the acne.

Dave
    Apart from the horrendous acting, Clearasil ads are awful because they're so exploitative. They play up on teenagers insecurities - it's very cold but clever marketing. And Clearasil aren't the only company that does it - one of the golden rules of advertising is make people feel bad about themselves, so that they think buying your product will make themselves feel better.
    fonpokno wrote: »

Also Clearasil ads are the worst ads ever.

"Oh noes you have a single spot friend/little brother. The girls are the disco won't want to kiss you. You had better use my magical spot clearing sex appeal creating Clearasil!"

*uses on clearasil for two days*

"Oh i was beating off the ladies at the disco, they all wanted to rub my uber-greasy skin while i was sitting under the strobe lights. I am TEH MAN. Thank you Clearasil." *cheesy laugh*

LOL, somehow I don't think they'll be hiring you as their advertising manager!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

LOL, somehow I don't think they'll be hiring you as their advertising manager!

Oh noes!!!11! :eek:

*drinks Clearasil*

Aaaaahhh, that's better.

*brandishes Clearasil at camera*

• Advertisement

Apart from the horrendous acting, Clearasil ads are awful because they're so exploitative. They play up on teenagers insecurities - it's very cold but clever marketing. And Clearasil aren't the only company that does it - one of the golden rules of advertising is make people feel bad about themselves, so that they think buying your product will make themselves feel better.

I maintain that Lynx are the worst offender in that respect

Advertisement