Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Acne Advice Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

I was on roaccutane for 6 months when I was 16. Your dermatologist will know the best course of action of course but its well worth considering even though the side effects can be adverse to say the least. I couldnt play sport for 6 months because I got extremely bad bruises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

drinking gives me spots why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭JEBUS 1

Anybody here use panoxyl 5 before? I got some today but I want to know what results other people got with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

JEBUS 1 wrote: »
    Anybody here use panoxyl 5 before? I got some today but I want to know what results other people got with it

I used panoxyl 5 and 10 before. It's good for isolated spots but can make ur skin red and sore if u put it all over your face tho.
    I have suffered from acne for years had a few spots as a teenager and now have adult acne which i find worse to get rid of it. its just on my chin and jawline mainly but its a real pain as i do look after my skin. i have friends that barely wash their face and have perfect skin not fair:mad:
    anyhow I have tried nearly every medication and cream goin except roaccutane( doc wont give it to me as I've had mild depression in the past). I find some things work for a few months then stop working completely. I think my skin gets immune to it! I'm 8 months pregnant and my skin didnt clear up at all but I cant use any medicine etc while pregnant. I went into Lush on Henry St and bought a few of their products and I have to say I'm amazed. My skin looks and feels great:D have been using them for a few weeks now so will see if the results last fingers crossed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭winking weber

I have adult acne on chin and jawline, neck and small bit on my back. Its never been bad but it wasnt getting any better. I'm 3 weeks into a four month course of roaccutane now, just to kick it to the kerb for good.

However I've been spending a fortune on skincare. Its a nightmare! I'm still getting spots and blackheads but my skin is flaking off too! Argh. Aveeno is good for the body but haven got it right for the face yet. Just got the nutritiv stuff from Roche Posay.

• Advertisement

I have adult acne on chin and jawline, neck and small bit on my back. Its never been bad but it wasnt getting any better. I'm 3 weeks into a four month course of roaccutane now, just to kick it to the kerb for good.

However I've been spending a fortune on skincare. Its a nightmare! I'm still getting spots and blackheads but my skin is flaking off too! Argh. Aveeno is good for the body but haven got it right for the face yet. Just got the nutritiv stuff from Roche Posay.

try fresh farmacy from lush its like a bar of soap but its not if that makes any sense! I know u have to use stuff for sensitive skin when ur on roaccutane and this stuff has nothin in it except natural stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭Purple Lemons

I get the odd spot, now and again, and blackheads on my nose if i don't use my facial scrub religiously, this i can deal with.

What i can't deal with however is these god damn boils :(

Under the surface so i can't pop them, painful red and angry looking

Just to touch them is quite sore, any ideas on how to get rid of/ prevent them ?

Btw i've tried TCP and it has yet to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Back Prince

i've been suffering from acne many years hate the damn thing haha just wondering if anybody here tried out niacin. Reading on other forums about it and the improvements people got from taking it got me interested. Just wondering if anybody here tried it or heard about it and if ye can get it anywhere in dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 vonnygav

I have suffered from acne since 15 - when was 18 went on the four month course of roaccutane - suffered the side effects including the initial disheartening flare up but with an outstanding result of clear skin a month after the course finished.
    Years later at 22 had slight reoccurance of acne on my jawline and chin - went on Marviol (stayed away from dianette as had bad effect on me previously) and Minox (similar/same as minocin). They worked great.
    Went off both last april to give my body a break - result - breakOUT!
    I know us acne sufferers tend to panic at the reappearance of spots but I really am disheartened and sick of it! It's sore, looks bad and makes my confidence take a step back to teenage anguish!
    I'm a 26 year old female!
    Any advice from similar acne sufferers.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

Hi, how much does it cost for a course of Roaccutane ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭winking weber

For me its 180 +120 +120 +120 for the consultants appointments. (Women can only get 30 day prescriptions at a time.)

Drugs cost 183 euro per month of which you have to pay 100 with a drug payment scheme card that everyone is entitled to.

So its a thousand euro for a four month course. Crikey! No wonder Ive no spare money. Then you've to spend on skincare for your dramatically altered skin. I'm finding the le Roche Posay stuff great but I tried lots of stuff before settling on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Groe

Conor108 wrote: »
    So is just Savlon any good? Like just rubbing a bit in morning and night?
    I found it helped when thetops had come off the spots as it would trweat it like a cut and heal it in a day or so.

For the past few weeks I've used The Clearasil Ultra Pads.
    cle297w_large.jpg
    They have been the best thing I've ever used. They prevent breakouts and they reduce spots within an hour.

I also have a question. I have scaring on my forhead from spots and I was wondering what people would suggest I use to help treat it. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

Benidorm works best for me

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

For me its 180 +120 +120 +120 for the consultants appointments. (Women can only get 30 day prescriptions at a time.)

Drugs cost 183 euro per month of which you have to pay 100 with a drug payment scheme card that everyone is entitled to.

So its a thousand euro for a four month course. Crikey! No wonder Ive no spare money. Then you've to spend on skincare for your dramatically altered skin. I'm finding the le Roche Posay stuff great but I tried lots of stuff before settling on that.

Thanks for that.
    It's not cheap so lol. Can you claim it back in tax (med1 form) or maybe health insurance will cover some of it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

The moment I stopped using traditional cleansing products and face washes was the moment my skin cleared up completely.

I think one of the biggest problems I had was feeling like washing my face was the answer to bad skin and spots. I thought, "well, if I try this new face wash it will clean my face better than what I was previously using and my problem will be solved" but it was the exact opposite. I fell victim to over-washing and nearly caused permanent damage to my skin (no joke).

Then I gave up and went back to common sense - wash your face with a tiny bit of soap when it actually needs it. Otherwise, just use some warm water. This allowed my skin the chance to return to normal, and it improved to a point now where it is as perfect as I could possibly have ever imagined.

Ye don't need to 'massage' cleansers in 'circular motions' or any of that ****. I found that doing stuff like that was just making my skin raw and causing blemishes.

Quick rinse with water, if your skin is oily rub a tiny bit of soap onto yours hands and use it so gently that only the very top layer of oil is removed. Throw some water over yer face and go. 30 - 40 seconds tap to towel is all that's needed. I also don't dry my face with a towel because that just caused more problems.

Again, I had pretty nasty skin and now it's pretty perfect. All I did was cut out all the modern 'skincare' crap and returned to some water and a tiny bit of soap when really needed.

Groe wrote: »
    I found it helped when thetops had come off the spots as it would trweat it like a cut and heal it in a day or so.

For the past few weeks I've used The Clearasil Ultra Pads.
    cle297w_large.jpg
    They have been the best thing I've ever used. They prevent breakouts and they reduce spots within an hour.

I also have a question. I have scaring on my forhead from spots and I was wondering what people would suggest I use to help treat it. Thanks in advance.

use bio oil on scars or vitamin e capsules cut open and rubbed on d area works great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I get the odd spot, now and again, and blackheads on my nose if i don't use my facial scrub religiously, this i can deal with.

What i can't deal with however is these god damn boils :(

Under the surface so i can't pop them, painful red and angry looking

Just to touch them is quite sore, any ideas on how to get rid of/ prevent them ?

Btw i've tried TCP and it has yet to work.

Are the boils on your face? I get the odd boil or two (& yes they can hurt like a b1tch, very annoying) in a different part of the body :p & I got prescribed a cream called Fucidin H. I don't think you're supposed to use it on your face as the skin#s more delicate there but check with the GP. It's got some sort of steroid to reduce inflammation & an antibiotic to stop the bacteria growing. That's what the website said. I'll see how it goes.

If you google "boils" it says to do a hot compress (hot damp cloth on it) to bring it to a head & keep it clean. There are antiseptic creams like Savlon & so on. Just make sure it's not an abscess - GP will be able to tell. I had one recently & had to get it lanced & drained. Not fun.

vonnygav wrote: »
    Years later at 22 had slight reoccurance of acne on my jawline and chin - went on Marviol (stayed away from dianette as had bad effect on me previously) and Minox (similar/same as minocin). They worked great.
    Went off both last april to give my body a break - result - breakOUT!
    I'm around same age as you & I'm on dianette. I know other people get crazy reactions from it but I was lucky enough to not be one of them. I came off it & went on a lower dosage pill for a few months & my skin went mental again. So back on Dianette again. Don't know what I'll do when want to have kids or told I'm too old to take it anymore.

Was there a reason you wanted to give your body a break from the other pills you tried? Maybe it's a case of trial & error to find one that suits you.

Ok my last post now I swear. If there's anyone who maybe has mild acne / rosacea etc & their skin gets irritated after washing with water, face washes etc...

A month or so ago I started just using face wipes by bNatural. You can get them in Tescos. There's no alcohol in them & no irritating chemicals but still get all the makeup off. Then I use their daily moisturiser (bNatural). It's very light & again not irritating at all. My skin definitely feels more comfortable & some spots have cleared up.

I'm not saying this clears up acne, but maybe can ease irritation to the rest of the face while treating acne in other ways.

I think this has worked for me as I'm not scrubbing the bejaysus out of my face & I'm not using water on my face, which can be drying.

Stay away from products with salicylic acid, very very irritating, particularly if you have acne rosacea like moi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 SpinIt

Dudes tea tree oil in warm water twice a day
    Fixes everything
    Smells Good Too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Benzoyl Peroxide is amazing. Although you need to finish the treatment for it to be permanent, it does the job for an over the counter product. Some people said to me that it contains cancogenic products, but that's only from overdose. R

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 SpinIt

Slugs wrote: »
    Benzoyl Peroxide is amazing. Although you need to finish the treatment for it to be permanent
    How do you mean finish?
    I though you just had to keep using it until such time as it went away naturally, Although it is savage stuff:D, Tea tree oil has the same effects though, but it takes longer to start working,
    But it has none of the side effects of bp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

SpinIt wrote: »
    How do you mean finish?
    I though you just had to keep using it until such time as it went away naturally, Although it is savage stuff:D, Tea tree oil has the same effects though, but it takes longer to start working,
    But it has none of the side effects of bp
    What I mean is like finishing the entire thing. You're meant to do it for It hink 2 months. I stopped 3 weeks in cause I lost my tube and cba looking for another one. But a bit cleared up before it wore of :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭evil-yoda

i had horrible acne, got slagged something awful. Sudocreme helped but what i found the best was eating good food! that meant no junk, fast food and less sweets!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Back Prince

The moment I stopped using traditional cleansing products and face washes was the moment my skin cleared up completely.

I think one of the biggest problems I had was feeling like washing my face was the answer to bad skin and spots. I thought, "well, if I try this new face wash it will clean my face better than what I was previously using and my problem will be solved" but it was the exact opposite. I fell victim to over-washing and nearly caused permanent damage to my skin (no joke).

Then I gave up and went back to common sense - wash your face with a tiny bit of soap when it actually needs it. Otherwise, just use some warm water. This allowed my skin the chance to return to normal, and it improved to a point now where it is as perfect as I could possibly have ever imagined.

Ye don't need to 'massage' cleansers in 'circular motions' or any of that ****. I found that doing stuff like that was just making my skin raw and causing blemishes.

Quick rinse with water, if your skin is oily rub a tiny bit of soap onto yours hands and use it so gently that only the very top layer of oil is removed. Throw some water over yer face and go. 30 - 40 seconds tap to towel is all that's needed. I also don't dry my face with a towel because that just caused more problems.

Again, I had pretty nasty skin and now it's pretty perfect. All I did was cut out all the modern 'skincare' crap and returned to some water and a tiny bit of soap when really needed.

I actually think this is what needs to be done. Everytime im on holiday i dont use all the chemical **** and my face looks much better then i came home use the creams and my face becomes feiced:mad:. Gonna try it for a week or so see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

evil-yoda wrote: »
    i had horrible acne, got slagged something awful. Sudocreme helped but what i found the best was eating good food! that meant no junk, fast food and less sweets!

ive had bad acne since i was about 14, im 25 now and still have a bit not as bad but still a bit on my face. Interesting that cutting out foods worked for you. I tried it didnt work went to a dermatologist and they told me acne
    has nothing to do with the food you eat, its all a myth!

its related to your hormones and stress levels

The best antibiotic i was on i think was called minocin. i went on ro-accitane twice it worked with side effects but always came back. so didnt exactly "work" correctly. Minocin on the other hand cleared it up fairly quick
    and I never had a single side effect. Unfortunately it has come back a little bit but not as bad as it use to be

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Have you considered roacataine? It's extremely powerful stuff, I had a four month course a year ago, and haven't had a spot since, and I had spots EVERYWHERE.

gibson wrote: »
    ive had bad acne since i was about 14, im 25 now and still have a bit not as bad but still a bit on my face. Interesting that cutting out foods worked for you. I tried it didnt work went to a dermatologist and they told me acne
    has nothing to do with the food you eat, its all a myth!

its related to your hormones and stress levels

The best antibiotic i was on i think was called minocin. i went on ro-accitane twice it worked with side effects but always came back. so didnt exactly "work" correctly. Minocin on the other hand cleared it up fairly quick
    and I never had a single side effect. Unfortunately it has come back a little bit but not as bad as it use to be

I was on minocin on and off for years I actually became immune to it so it stopped working for me all together:( Trying to think of all the other anti-biotics I've been on and creams I tried

Minocin
    By-miacin
    Thrimethoprim(spell?)
    Oxy-tetracycline
    Zineryt
    Panoxyl (5 and 10)
    Duac
    Differin(gel and cream)
    Diannette(contraceptive pill)

The thing is my acne isn't too severe. It's mainly just chin and jawline.

Has anyone tried any sort of laser treatment for their acne and what sort of results did they see?

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭scoopmine

Iv heard sunbeds help n i do notice in the summer my skins always better...
    Granted its not something id like to resort to as all the negative stuff ya hear about them too...
    Anyone have ne experience with them?

• Advertisement

scoopmine wrote: »
    Iv heard sunbeds help n i do notice in the summer my skins always better...
    Granted its not something id like to resort to as all the negative stuff ya hear about them too...
    Anyone have ne experience with them?

The sun is great for clearing up spots as are sunbeds short-term but it has been proven they do cause skin cancer so do be careful

Advertisement