Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TII Motorway Service Areas (MSA) Progress Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭veryangryman

D Trent wrote: »
    Has been for the last month ...

Just saying what I see when I see it. Didn't see other updates on this so I posted it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

...and yet it is the best and most successful on the Dublin - Cork corridor.

Manor Stone near M8 J3 is too small (its full already on Sundays) and lets not even talk about Cashel.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭yachtsman

Any information on the construction/land costs of the new MSS junction at M6. Athlone. Is it tapping into any local roads. Personally I'd have thought Moore between j13 and J14 Roscommon side would have been better seeing as there is a community, existing over bridge and new regional Garda Station there. And it has one of the longest distance between two junctions in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

yachtsman wrote: »
    Any information on the construction/land costs of the new MSS junction at M6. Athlone. Is it tapping into any local roads. Personally I'd have thought Moore between j13 and J14 Roscommon side would have been better seeing as there is a community, existing over bridge and new regional Garda Station there. And it has one of the longest distance between two junctions in the country.

They're not allowed have access from local roads, except for staff access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Garda Station ??

• Advertisement

Yes a new GS was opened a few years ago at Clonark about half way between Athlone and Ballinasloe on the old N6.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

This could delay things at Athlone and two other MSSs earmarked.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/applegreen-tedcastles-challenge-topaz-motorway-contracts-1.2317441

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Yes a new GS was opened a few years ago at Clonark about half way between Athlone and Ballinasloe on the old N6.

What does that have to do with it?
    They wouldn't be allowed access the motorway using the service area.

ongarboy wrote: »

Brilliant I hope Applegreen win the challenge
    I can't bring myself to forking out on Topaz coffee prices it's disgraceful

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

ongarboy wrote: »

I saw the specs for tranche 1, at the time, and in fairness they are a minefeld of contradictory terms - will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Also interesting Superstop 2 is Tedcastle, and not Top...anyone know who D&B partner is (or are they not including a D&B partner this time after the Pierse experience?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭rameire

I Inquired in July about time frames for the start of the build and got this response today.
    I wish to advise that the tender/contract award process for the appointment of a contractor/operator for this service area is being finalised, however there is not yet definitive timescales. The preferred tenderer is Topaz Energy Group Ltd.

Hope it starts soon.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Dardania wrote: »

Also interesting Superstop 2 is Tedcastle, and not Top...anyone know who D&B partner is (or are they not including a D&B partner this time after the Pierse experience?)
    Isn't the T in Top not Tedcastles ( Oil products)?

My reference to GS access was made in the context of my original suggestion that this MSS should have been at Moore where local access is required. However it seems from another reply that an MSS is precluded from serving local roads so forget my suggestion. it's academic anyway.

Has anyone any idea of the cost of a typical MSS junction such as the recently completed one at Athlone. including land and construction costs excluding the MSS itself. Are these subject to cost benefit analysis and are these available. I thought all such investment is subject to cba.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Quadrature

That unofficial Midway place in Portlaoise would be ideal if it could get a major coffee brand on board.

Mostly all I want is a decent coffee and maybe a sandwich or a cake halfway between Cork & Dublin. I don't generally want a major feed and I doubt I'm exceptional.

Fuel would probably be handy for some too!

Ah Midway, the best marketing brand ever.
    93km from Dublin and 177km from Cork...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Rather a lot closer to halfway between Dublin and Limerick though. And it is on the road to Limerick.

It's not on the Cork motorway though is it?

It's on the Limerick motorway

It's not on any motorway, its beside the motorway, on what was the road to Cork from Portlaoise, before the Portlaoise bypass was built.
    And Quadrature was talking about a journey from Cork to Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Quadrature

Halfway between Cork and Newry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

It's not on any motorway, its beside the motorway, on what was the road to Cork from Portlaoise, before the Portlaoise bypass was built.
    And Quadrature was talking about a journey from Cork to Dublin.

Was it named Midway when it was on the N8 (i.e. before the Portlaoise bypass was built)? Assuming it was built before the completion of the Portlaoise bypass...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Was it named Midway when it was on the N8 (i.e. before the Portlaoise bypass was built)? Assuming it was built before the completion of the Portlaoise bypass...

There was (is?) a "Halfway House" pub in Urlingford - referring to the Dublin - Cork journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

D Trent wrote: »
    Unionists declaring that Northern Ireland isn't the same as the rest of the U.K. shocker!

Honest to god, why shouldn't Northern Ireland use the same signage as the rest of their beloved country? I actually find it a good practice to mention the brands of petrol station operator / fast food / restaurant / cafe to allow you to decide to stop, or ignore the place should it not be to your liking.

It's especially useful say when looking for something specific like marks and Spenser express or greggs bakery over just generic fast food or petrol station fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Unionists declaring that Northern Ireland isn't the same as the rest of the U.K. shocker!

Honest to god, why shouldn't Northern Ireland use the same signage as the rest of their beloved country? I actually find it a good practice to mention the brands of petrol station operator / fast food / restaurant / cafe to allow you to decide to stop, or ignore the place should it not be to your liking.

It's especially useful say when looking for something specific like marks and Spenser express or greggs bakery over just generic fast food or petrol station fare.

I'm sure that applegreen would completely agree with you in the republic

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

BoatMad wrote: »
    I'm sure that applegreen would completely agree with you in the republic
    I think all official online and approved up to scrath offline petrol stations and services should have an indication of what the consumer will get when coming off line, so including the brands of the places operating there.

If its good enough for the motorway networks of the UK and Germany and France and Italy (and I think also Austria and Belgium) then it should be good enough for Ireland.

They do have an applegreen pole or something as you enter the official irish services, but really it should also be on the signs in advance of the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

anyone have an update on M11 Gorey?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

I think all official online and approved up to scrath offline petrol stations and services should have an indication of what the consumer will get when coming off line, so including the brands of the places operating there.

If its good enough for the motorway networks of the UK and Germany and France and Italy (and I think also Austria and Belgium) then it should be good enough for Ireland.
    Agreed. Here's one in France (taken from Google Streetview):

364970.png

So, the Esso service station is in 500m, but if you'd rather wait for the Shell one, that's 42K away.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭radharc

BoatMad wrote: »
    anyone have an update on M11 Gorey?

The case has been fast tracked in the Commercial Court.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

radharc wrote: »
    The case has been fast tracked in the Commercial Court.

What's reason for this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

Public Consultation taking place on site Selection stage for Motorway Service Area on M3

Next thursday in Dunshaughlin

Advertisement